Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Too old to be in this pond?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abby156
Msg: 26
Too old to be in this pond?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I was really caught off guard. Of course I was insulted. I just was at a loss for wisdom.
How does one tell a youngster that they will age? They seem to think youth is something that will belong to them forever.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 27
Too old to be in this pond?
Posted: 5/28/2008 12:13:56 AM

I ain't dead yet Sonny!"

Could have said " Come here sugar let me gum ya!"

I have found that people who have a tendency to start a conversation in a negative way are angry, hateful and arent looking for a polite response. Usually it is someone in their past you remind them of...I have had one guy harass the heck out of me that lives here locally. I dont even know the guy but I know the type...he doesnt think he is good enough so he trys to be negative to everyone ...to pull you down to his level. He is the only person I have blocked...for the moment..others are working toward it.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 2:51:06 AM

I am just stunned that a young person would seek out an older person to insult. Manners are lost upon the young I suppose.

SOME of the young Abby, I'm making damn sure my 3 sons grow up as gentlemen.

But there is a general lack of consideration and manners with many of the younger generation (man I sound old!). You see it every day, lining up at McStomach-stuffers, 'gimme this', 'gimme that', no please or thank you, just an ignorant sense of entitlement.

I could go on, but I need to take my nap! lol
 bullielover62
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/28/2008 6:36:18 AM
I was really caught off guard.

Rudeness will do that..... Shake it off.....

Of course I was insulted.

Insulted how? Because a little twit asked you why you were on a dating site? How does
that personally insult you? Are you questioning why you're here? It's interesting to see
how other people affect us.....
He didn't say that you were too ugly or too mean spirited or unworthy.... he just wanted to
know what you were doing here......
You could look at it at rude, I prolly would have too, or just chalk it up to his complete lack
of manners and decorum. Pretty par for the course in a twenty-somethin'......

I just was at a loss for wisdom.

You have wisdom that comes from being here two thirds longer than him. You knew enough
to say to yourself, that was rude.... you knew enough to block him from further communication.....

How does one tell a youngster that they will age? They seem to think youth is something that will belong to them forever.

And we did too, at that age. In our twenties, we OWNED the world.... the t.v. commercials
are made for them, the marketing magnates count their millions due to them and these
young folks FEEL that.... the live off that. We did too, remember??

Know your reasons for doing what you're doing. Feel your own confidence in being here
and putting yourself out there to find a partner in crime. Embrace the reasons you got
here in the first place..... and chuckle to yourself because you know that little twit has yet
to go through all you've been through AND SURVIVE!

Rock on sister. You're beautiful......
 RedCassandra
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 7:32:42 AM

I was really at a loss for how to respond to such a rude question so I just blocked him from further messages.

And that's precisely what you should have done. Block/delete. Don't give it another thought.

He was probably just cranky because he ran out of hand lotion.

itechman63
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 7:52:51 AM

He was probably just cranky because he ran out of hand lotion.

Now 20 year old boys don't care about the softness of their skin. Wait.... Oh, I get it!!!
 Ancient
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 9:51:28 AM
If ladies over 45 are too old to be on here 'fishing' ....what about all the men doing the same
I don't bother with this site much anymore, because I know its probably a waste of time.
The attitude is the same everywhere ...an older woman alone for any length of time, is usually hit upon as being 'desperate' and willing to accept whatever is on offer by the average guy.
If I simply wanted to 'roll in the hay' with somebody, i've had a few offers from younger men and sometimes it has been tempting.
 ladyc4
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 10:45:47 AM

The attitude is the same everywhere ...an older woman alone for any length of time, is usually hit upon as being 'desperate' and willing to accept whatever is on offer by the average guy

And when they are told "No", that you seek something a litle higher on the relationship "food chain" than tonight's weinie warmer, they get all pissy and rant that the 'average guy" "doesn't stand a chance..."

If I simply wanted to 'roll in the hay' with somebody, i've had a few offers from younger men and sometimes it has been tempting.

If you can keep it in perspective, and of course don't take unwise risks with your personal safety and sexual health, whyever NOT?
Cindy O
 rearguard*2
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 11:17:11 AM
How odd. Most of my own experience with "older" women is that they are pretty happy to get along without male disturbance in their lives, although they all claim to be interested in finding a SO. The "easy" marks for a roll in the hay, apparently for men of just about any age, are the younger women.Something about the lifetime hormone cycle makes the younger women more prone to seduction, an observation rampant in literature and history. If guys are really looking for a quick score, they should avoid older women like the plague. From what I have seen of divorces over my lifetime, he usually ends up with a younger model after the divorce. Must be some reason for this phenomenon.
 Guesswhoo
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/28/2008 11:36:50 AM
I'd have told him I'm old and bored and am amuzed at emails such as his. Then, I'd ask him what he was doing here and not out having the time of his life.
 cdn*guy
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/28/2008 12:30:10 PM
"He went on to ask why a person my age would actually be fishing. I was really at a loss for how to respond to such a rude question ..." [from original post]

Not knowing the full content of your contact with this person, from what you've said, it's either rude or he really doesn't understand that older folks are out doing and wanting the same things as younger folks are (basically) -- which translates to dumb. So to answer your question, whether he be rude or stupid, I wouldn't bother answering. What you'd have to say wouldn't do any good, nor would it probably even be understood. Just leave it, and forget it. Block him if you get another one.

cdn guy
 life_of_leisure
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 12:40:41 PM
> He went on to ask why a person my age would actually be fishing.

I know from previous forums that the OP is rather touchy about lots of little things, but I'm still trying to figure out why she took this question as being "rude" rather than just a straightforward request for mundane information from someone who was curious...
 aoakley08
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 12:54:12 PM
"Oh my Gosh!! Everyone has heart , young and old...."
 aoakley08
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 12:57:58 PM
Just beware of the big FISH, who eat little FISH for Dinner ! Because even they have heart.... it might be like but, as long as their alive they have a heart and soul... Oppss.. says the Pisces fish, to the others in the pond.
 ladyc4
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 1:54:30 PM

Most of my own experience with "older" women is that they are pretty happy to get along without male disturbance in their lives, although they all claim to be interested in finding a SO.

Male "disturbance"...LOL. Now that's FUNNY!

Now, show me where it is written that a SO(significant other) has to live in the same house and that lifestyles, finances and how one spends their time has to be enmeshed? Or that one member of the SO pair has to yield up all their interests and activities to trail along with the other one? See, now that's what we would probably deem as "disturbance".
To care about one another, to have each other's back, to spend time together(including having sex!) but respect boundaries and the need for 'elbow room" , to be willing to help but not barge in and create obligations, that's what most of us 'older' women are looking for. We want to have our lives, our activities and accomplishments respected.But all too often "older" men seem to think that the only way a relationship can be, is if the woman consents to be "absorbed" into HIS life.

From what I have seen of divorces over my lifetime, he usually ends up with a younger model after the divorce. Must be some reason for this phenomenon.
There is. Male midlife crisis, taken advantage of by women looking for the "security" she thinks older men represent.
Cindy O
 benny0455
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/28/2008 4:21:41 PM
Perhaps this young man was amazed that a beautiful woman would be alone at
your age.
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 4:27:44 PM
awww Benny what a nice thing to say..

Listen girlfriend.. that guy is an idiot.. besides what does he know.. I got shoes older than his little wimpy.. pimply faced.. _$$.. You have forgotten more than he knows..

I'd turn the little "you know what" in..
what a jerk off..

Anyway I'd do a google search of insults and find the most revolting insult I could find and fire it back at him.. but he probably wouldn't understand it..

sheesh

Oh I got it.. I'd say something like "Heck yeah I am old and in about 12 years.. I'll be drawing Social Security.. laying by the pool while you work your tail off to support me through your Social Security taxes..... rest up buddy cuz you'll have to hold down two jobs to have anything for yourself.. us baby boomers rule!!"
 AnnudderVoice
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/28/2008 4:33:34 PM
I can honestly say...

maybe...

LOL...one young lady rated a pic of mine "10" and, as is my wont, I wrote to thank her...

To whit she wrote back something similar to: "yeah, I mean, like really...if I was maybe 10 years older I'd be so into you"...

I hear she has a nice backhand in tennis, too...

Annudder
 SueCat51
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 4:39:26 PM
Abby - this young whippersnapper of 20 something, needs to watch "Fried Green Tomatoes". Seriously, any of us over the age of 40 should know by now, that the motto is "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn". I'm beyond worrying about what others think. Hopefully, you are too.

No, I don't receive fan mails from those in their 20's, I suppose because I do have limitations for the age group. I think you did the right thing by simply blocking him, and not reducing yourself to his level by responding back. He did not deserve your time, effort, or consideration of a reply back.
 abby156
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/28/2008 4:58:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I perhaps was too hard on the kid. I just thought he was implying older folks need to just forget about relationships etc. I guess I could have answered him and allow him to tick me off further .
 WaywardSeeker
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/28/2008 10:08:10 PM
Well Abby I live with a 20-year-old roommate who also happens to be my son. His friends are in and out all the time. I hear him telling them that "yeah, my dad is picking up chicks on the internet." I suppose that's how they understand it. I don't think they can really imagine what it is like to be our age. When I was 20, 60 was like ... my grandparents for goodness sake!

The big bass chuckles at all the self-important little minnows strutting by, thinking they have it all figured out. Whenever she gets hungry, she thins them out a little.
 dancingcathy
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/28/2008 11:22:49 PM
I know everyone thinks he was being rude, but I actually worked with a well-meaning young man who made a similar comment. He wasn't being mean, he just didn't get it! And I didn't know what to say, either. I wish I could think of a way to educate someone like that!
 tawnylioness
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2008 4:25:23 AM
Mae, I love your style, and Abby, you are beautiful! Though I consider myself "older than God" , I still believe I am worthy of a sincere and loving relationship. Good luck, and happy fishing!!!
 MeereKat
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/29/2008 6:08:07 AM
'abby'...[ladies]...
If you have the Will...there's a Way .. !!
What do 'young' people know .. ANYway..!!??
It's * N A F T *, anyhow..!!
~ No accounting for taste ~
Let's go Dancing..!!
 firstlight
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/29/2008 7:15:19 AM
I wish his punk arse would write to me. Bet I could give him some "wisdom".
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Too old to be in this pond?