Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Do you believe in Astrology?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Do you believe in Astrology?Page 12 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Thanks Sassyaquarius.

I feel better now. Cus I kindof have to agree there is something to people's signs and year of birth. I've dated all the signs that are wrong for me and am still single. and the issues were similar to what incompatible signs would be.
Be cool to find a compatible sign.
Haven't bumped into one yet.
Keep being hit on(or meeting) the incompatibles. And I'm not gonna say to a girl, "Sorry I can't date you, you're the wrong sign". That would just be insane.

I'm told this is a problem faced by all Libras born in ox years. We always date the wrong sort and figure somehow stubbornly we'll make it work. Time and time again.

So any Gemini Roosters or snakes out there, give me a shout.
We're destined!
 ipfreak
Msg: 277
view profile
History
Do you believe in Astrology?
Posted: 8/31/2007 9:17:35 PM
a lot of european women really believe that. i didn't pay attention to this until i worked in europe. it is not like religion, but seemed to me, they took that really serious.
 SarahMX
Msg: 278
Posted: 9/3/2007 4:38:30 PM
I do! Best book on signs is the one by Linda Goodman, and the one on relationships is just so accurate!

river_loon
Msg: 279
Posted: 9/4/2007 12:09:41 PM

The true meaning of the celestial zodiac and the symbols of the ecliptic, the course the sun appears to travel the heavens, seems to have been lost to the majority of mankind.

Fascinating post and to add ... the true meaning may have been lost in the episode of the Tower of Babel. I tend to favour the opinion that the zodiac is an ancient creation for a greater purpose than determining our compatible mates. However, I am wondering if there is compatibility with an intelligent, balanced monkey?
 kaagwaantaan
Msg: 280
Posted: 9/4/2007 12:18:41 PM
Actually, I believe in the one who created the stars and the stories that make up the constellations themselves (if you did a little deeper, you'd be amazed what you find.
 ozziefan
Msg: 281
Posted: 9/14/2007 2:53:55 PM
The new astrology still uses old-outdated-star charts. Todays virgos are really leos, due to the precession of the equinoxes, yet astrology does not take this into account. Also, there are more than the 7 planets astrology recognizes. Believing in astrology is like believing in the tooth fairy, easter Bunny, etc.
 sassyaquarius
Msg: 282
Posted: 9/14/2007 3:13:21 PM
^^ I think you forgot to add "imo"
 sqVirgo
Msg: 283
Posted: 9/14/2007 8:57:13 PM

The new astrology still uses old-outdated-star charts. Todays virgos are really leos, due to the precession of the equinoxes, yet astrology does not take this into account.

Which astrology does not take this into account ozziefan? The last time I checked sidereal astrology did.

Also, there are more than the 7 planets astrology recognizes.

Again, to which branch of astrology do you refer? Last time I checked, there were ten major planets recognized by tropicalists and siderealists, not just 7. Perhaps you are confusing astronomical terms with astrological ones?

Believing in astrology is like believing in the tooth fairy, easter Bunny, etc.

I agree. Sciences, even inexact ones, are to be studied, not held faith to.

OP, you should be ashamed! You wouldn't put questions about evolution in the religion section, why would you put subjects of a metaphysical nature into one?
 sqVirgo
Msg: 284
Posted: 9/14/2007 9:05:08 PM

Actually, I believe in the one who created the stars and the stories that make up the constellations themselves (if you did a little deeper, you'd be amazed what you find.

Perhaps you refer to Hellenistic-astrology, purported to be the ORGINAL horoscopic-astrology before being maimed by mistranslation across cultures.

home.online.no/~stebi/anintro.htm
 sqVirgo
Msg: 285
Posted: 9/14/2007 9:35:16 PM
Lethal-Industry:

my western sign is pisces (march 3)
and my eastern animal is the rat (1984)
my matches are suppose to be cancer and scorpio
and people born under the sign of the dragon or monkey

Disregarding the western for now, what are your Year/Month/Day and hourly animals? The idea for harmony in a relationship as I understand the Chinese so far, is to not only find someone with a harmonious ancestor (year) within the same triangle of affinity, but one whose other animals, sepcifically the companion in life (hourly), also matches. The daily animal plays a factor into this too as I understand it, but a perfect union would be someone whose animals completely matched your animals, which is I imagine extremely difficult to do. :)

My ex wife completed an approaching cross with her Fire-Snake to my Fire-Pig, Metal-Monkey, and Wood-Tiger, but she also had animals that conflicted with my Monthly animal of Water-Rooster, so the relationship eventually failed.

Anyway, if you don't know your other animals, you can quickly compute them provided you account correctly for the longitude of birth and proper timezone and account for standard time over daylight savings if you were born during Summer Time.

www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/chineseastrology.htm
 sqVirgo
Msg: 286
Posted: 9/14/2007 11:32:42 PM

To elaborate, there have been no empirical studies to comprehensively (or even margninally) prove that astrology has ANY scientific basis. And this extends to all the other branches of astrology--no proof whatsoever.

That is because of the tattered history of astrology and it's being likened to religion by so many people who use its harmonic-precepts in designing of automobiles but reject the original reason why the angles were comprised in the first place long ago. Of course astrology has no "scientific basis", because it is not an empirical science, it is a metaphysical one.

There are many researchers today, namely Uranian astrologers, who do independent studies of personalities in a more empirical fashion. A simple Google search will reveal that.

This foolish prejudice of "astrology" by normally rational people is laughable, since many of you skeptics will readily accept someone observing your behavior and slapping a label based on your behavior (psychology), yet if they did it based on the positions of the planets in your horoscope you would roll your eyes. Why? Because the markers used to categorize your behavior were not fictitious, but viewable realities?

This reminds me of the tales of bigfoot and even the city of Troy. The city of Troy was a "myth" until it was found, and bigfoot will continue to be a "myth" until a dedicated team of researchers with infrared equipment and helicopters high in the sky are able to actually pin down one, swoop down and capture it. Of course there's no scientific proof of "bigfoot", because serious scientists usually dismiss it as malarchy before even investigating it with modern technology, therefore leaving it to fringe-"believers" who are often discredited for having their evidence, even if it CANNOT be explained, because its existence would fly in the face of the theories of scientists that dismiss it! You cannot capture an intelligent animal deep in a secluded forest that hates loud noises and knows how to hide with little 10-15 member teams of researchers, you have to go in with some military force, find traces, track them, and locate them RIGHT THEN. Until that is done and broadcasted worldwide for all to see, evolutionists can rest assured that their accepted theories will remain that way, and all the academic and political insitutions on-which they are based will remain in operation, with people being paid appropriately.

The same with astrology. Most serious scientists assume it is mythology, and have absolutely zero clue about its origins, its methods/practices or true principals. Sigmund Freud was a wild character, but him being a crack-addict doesn't invalidate psychology does it? So why should ancient researches with a totally different mindset to what we normally consider modern thinking invalidate astrology? Who says we as modern thinkers are not simply out of touch?

I am a student, and I see astrology in action in the people I converse with, and have before I ever taught them a word about what I know. In the light of the usual outright rejection of my methods as unscientific without knowing them specifically, as is common with objective researchers, why should I prove to you what I already know works by my own observation and the observation of others?
 SaratogaMan30s
Msg: 287
Posted: 12/26/2008 4:05:06 PM
While I find the stars are beautiful, astrology is false. Equinoctial precession girls - a ten dollar word/s but significant. The charts are subjective...kind of like fortune cookies, but without the added flavor. Maybe we should make chocolate chip cookies...with little pieces of paper in them - and not tell anyone
 *sass*
Msg: 288
Posted: 12/26/2008 5:26:38 PM
Sure do.. one of my first loves

motley_maiden
Msg: 289
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 3:39:52 PM
Having done a search for astrology threads, of which there were billions, I thought I'd post in this as I tried to post in the most recent one but my post didnt show up??

So really..

Just wondering if any of you guys could help me out?

I'm doing 16/17thC astrology for my MSc thesis and would love to be able to place a birth chart in my work with its relevent discussion.

Would anyone be prepared to make me a birth chart? I'm not offering any money for this but I will acknowledge/cite you in my work for your contribution.

Also if anyone would like to PM me their thoughts and feelings on astrology and the role it plays in their lives, that too would be really useful.

Actually I would love to know how astrology is seen today by real people that believe in it. This would be a great contribution to my renaissance period work.

Also if anyone would like to read what I have written so far they are welcome to do so (Its not finished though, 1/4 done)

Please PM me if you would like to help, and my birth details are: born 6th July 1973 at 6.59pm in Welwyn Garden City, Herts. UK

edit to add: I dont believe in astrology but I am widly fascinated by it.

Thanks.

Also can I ask you to cast your votes in my very short poll? Will take no more than 20 seconds!

http://sandras-blog.livejournal.com/737.html

Thanks again :)
 motley_maiden
Msg: 290
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 3:57:39 PM

Heh, if only those con men who suckered ancient kings would know people were still buying it now!

Chalk it up under the heading of "hippy crap" for me.

In those days they werent seen as con men at all. Astrology and astronomy underpinned life particularly in renaissance europe. It was all about interpreting Gods universe and his plan. Its how people in that time period thought about life, its links and resemblances

Dont forget in those days, there was no science, it was 'natural philosophy', with the need to understand the universe.

If anything astrology was seen as an 'interpretive science'.

A couple of really good books I'd recommend for anyone wanting to learn more about renaissance astrology and human thought are:

Thomas, K. Religion and the decline of magic. Studies in popular beliefs in sixteenth- and seventeenth-century England. Penguin books. 1991.

and Michel Foucaults book 'The order of things'

bloody brilliant the pair of them.
 Nendawan
Msg: 291
Posted: 7/1/2009 7:39:32 PM
And some of those stars don't even exist any more. I mean some of the stars you're looking at tonight. Does zodiac influence travel at the same speed as light? Faster? Slower?
 UncommonAnt
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2009 1:23:46 PM
I do not believe in Astrology not only because the Bible speaks very unfavorably concerning it but because in my experience it has only been partially right concerning the things it says about me. In short,it is inaccurate and therefore of no use to me whatsoever. God bless.
 Auburnred67
Msg: 293
Posted: 8/16/2009 4:22:28 AM
Of course astrology cannot ever predict an exact outcome...What it can do is predict a high or low probability of an outcome occurring.
Have you heard of Predictive Astrology?
Book by Carol Rushman
 Js.Krulicki
Msg: 294
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:59:59 AM
It's fun to read the horoscopes every now and then, but like a friend pointed out to me recently, astrology cannot accurately describe the collective behavior of 6 billion + people on this earth. I do not believe the stars affect our lives since there is no physical medium to prove it, aaaand the fact that my horoscope is never right lol.

However, I am the model scorpio.

Some food for thought also:

The king called out for the enchanters, astrologers and diviners to be brought and said to these wise men of Babylon, "Whoever reads this writing and tells me what it means will be clothed in purple and have a gold chain placed around his neck, and he will be made the third highest ruler in the kingdom." Then all the king's wise men came in, but they could not read the writing or tell the king what it meant. (Daniel 5:7-8)

Source: http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/astrology.html#n01
 dunrich
Msg: 295
Posted: 8/31/2009 6:56:09 AM
The Bible does not condemen astrology. It condemns putting authority of it over that of God, in other words turning it into an idolotrous thing. but no, it does not condemn astrology.

Here are some verses that actually shows the opposite it true. :

Genesis 1:14 "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years:"

Genesis 37:9 "And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me."

Judges 5:20 "They fought from heaven; the stars in their courses(transits) fought against Sisera.

Job 38:31-33 "Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth(the Zodiac) in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?

Psalms 8:3 "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;"

Psalms 147:4 "He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names."

Jeremiah 31:35 "Thus saith the Lord, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night..."

Matthew 2:1-2 "...there came wise men(astrologers/magicians)from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him."

Luke 21:25 "And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars;..."

I Corinthians 15:41 "There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory."

About a year ago, in order to prove that there was nothing to astrology , I had some freinds and family do Jungs personality test . Taking the description from that, I then had astrological charts done and compared them. I was really surprsied art how close the astrological descriptions were when compared to Jungs descripition of the individuals personality traits.

After that, I had to revise my opinion of it. Now as for some blanket, generalising conclusions most astrologers come up with,horoscopes, I still have doubts about them.

For example, with regards to compatability, I am actually quite opposite to what they claim. Tuarus is suppose to be compatable with I a Cancer, but most I find are "stiffling" for me. Aries, is suppose to be non compatble with Canecer, yet the most intense relationship I ever had was with an Aries.

So while I do think there is something to astrology, I doubt some horoscopes and astrologers conclusions. I think, they do not take every thing into account and rely solely on the Sun Sign only.
 Auburnred67
Msg: 296
Astrology Accuracy and Couple Compatibility
Posted: 9/2/2009 1:35:30 AM
Dunrich-
Amen brother! Thank you so much for listing the bible passages.
I have been studying astrology for quite some now. Been criticized often.

I find it to be very accurate IF natal charts are used.
That involves birth times and can reveal the "ASCENDANT," (significant)
which IMO, is just as important as the SUN sign.
If you look further, this may explain your compatibility with those who may not otherwise be compatible with your sun sign.

Interesting that you compared astrology results to Jungs personality and found similarities.
I compared the Taylor-Johnson temperment analysis to the results of a couple capatibility report created-using the accompanying software and book called Mapping Your Romantic Relationships by David Pond.
I highly recommend this book, you may want to check it out
Astrology goes very deep if you decide to "dig."
Emotional, communicational and sexual compatibility are the areas I focus on most.
What I have found...is very revealing.
:jump
 dunrich
Msg: 297
Astrology Accuracy and Couple Compatibility
Posted: 9/2/2009 5:46:59 AM

I compared the Taylor-Johnson temperment analysis to the results of a couple capatibility report created-using the accompanying software and book called Mapping Your Romantic Relationships by David Pond.
I highly recommend this book, you may want to check it out

Hi Auburn.

Thanks I will check out that book, also the Taylor Johnson analysis.

Curiously, it was checking for links between Bibical Prophecy and astrology that got me interested in it in the first place. For me, there is a pattern that I find hard to deny, and yes find it quite facinating now.

Been criticized often.

Well, you are in good company. Newton, Boyle, Nostradamus, wow I could go on for ever, all had to hide much of their work in code . Due to 'culteral" and Church habits of executing those , who dealt in any thing other than sanctioned Church doctrine. Regardless about what the Bible or Christ taught.

Ironicly, at least in the case of Boyle and Newton, it was looking for the signature of God that inspired a lot of their work. Pity, Science and Belief, have had the split that they do. I wonder sometimes how far we could have gone if we were not so busy trying to prove pre ordained conclusions, rather than simply searching for the truth.
 Taztiger72
Msg: 298
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2009 10:18:31 PM
There is nothing knowing your Zodiac Sign it can be fun, but using Astrology to chart your daily life is a Sin -

I think the time of the year you are born has a lot to do with your personality than the actual Zodiac Sign.

Capricorns are Prudes for the most part because they are concieved in the Spring - are in the womb through Summer and Fall and born in the Winter.

Cancers are Lovers for the most part they are concieved in the Fall - are in the womb through Winter and Spring and born in the Summer.

Negativity is big part of being born in Fall & Winter (Libra to Aquarius)

Positiveness is big part of being born in Spring & Summer (Taurus to Virgo)

the 3 most wanted males are Taurus, Aries, and Leo
the 3 most wanted female are Leo, Cancer, and Virgo

Its because these signs are less inhibited in Love than the Cold of the other Prudes....

zedstead
Msg: 299
Posted: 9/13/2009 2:40:03 PM
motley maiden - I totally don't think this is the right place to post your birth info asking for someone to do up a chart. Check out astrodienst at astro.com - there is a forum there with people who are well versed in astrology, most of the people on here don't know anything about it and get their back up when the subject comes up. Also you can input your birth data and get a free computer generated chart that you can click on with explanations for each bit. You'd do better to ask experts and do a decent job researching it, especially if this is something you're doing seriously.

Astrology is not a science, and it is not a belief system. It is an interpretive system of symbolic connections. There is no hard answer for anything, instead it is a bit like getting an abstract painter to make an image of you that is inspired by you. There are things that make each chart individual, it's something you study, you observe and think about. There is no "belief" that you must subscribe to in order to make connections, but an open door for interpretations and pattern finding.
 NerdStatus
Msg: 300
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 1:11:50 AM
Here's some fun stuff for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haP7Ys9ocTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPFoDkGFrU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp2Zqk8vHw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iunr4B4wfDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id3PuMvy_28
How does this all work?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Do you believe in Astrology?