Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Do you believe in Astrology?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Frivolimous
Msg: 76
Do you believe in Astrology?Page 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
there exists, in western astrology, a system for mapping out the degrees within a sign as well as the individual sign. If you don't know, a circle has 360 degrees and each sign therefore has 30 degrees. Your degree is based on the exact time of your birth, but changes more or less once a day (new degree every 1.0146 days, or 1 day and 21 minutes) . That's how you get individual day profiles in some books.

In general, on a cusp, you exibit the negative traits of the sign behind you and the positive traits of the sign ahead of you. This is because negativity lingers and positivity arrives instantly. So as a Scorp/Sag cusp you would be wild and adventurous, seeking to explore everything, but you would have the Scorpio posessiveness and pride. Your would NOT have the Scorpio intensity or depth of experience and you would, likewise, not have the Sagitarius flightiness or shallowness. As you can plainly see, the two naturally cancel each other out anyways.
 taurus516
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Do you believe in Astrology?
Posted: 6/15/2005 12:21:38 PM
I think there is some legitimacy to the "pseudo science" but exactly where to draw the line between myth and science I'm not sure.I know they get the personalities pretty darn close,but I don't think it's accurate enough to run your life by it.Now this leaves us with the task,that is those of us of a more objective viewpoint,of figuring out if the stars and their positions cause an influence over our lives,how is does it happen?How can a body light years away from us influence us,especially when you consider the fact that stars are so far away,that if we had a telescope powerful enough to see what goes on at our nearest interstellar nieghbor,Alpha Centuri,we would be seeing what was happening almost 5 years ago?
 Nibe
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/15/2005 6:22:49 PM
No.
 rustyrale
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/15/2005 7:39:36 PM
Hey Taurus Did you ever consider that the influence might come more from the time of your birth and have less to do with the stars? To my the stars are merely good mappoints and namesakes to catalouge the times of birth but I think it is the time you are born that contributes to your personality as much as anything else...

Reguardless I am always impressed by this "New Astrology" book...

I am also amazed that more men have picked up on this subject then women...it kinda goes against the sterotype.
 taurus516
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2005 2:09:19 AM
Hadn't thought of that Rusty,thanks.OK if it's the time then,how does that work?
 seriouslyfunnylady
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2005 4:31:41 AM
Darn Rusty,

Too bad your so young, I am a cancer, *sigh* maybe in the next life huh? LOL

Kat
 Frivolimous
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/16/2005 8:22:31 PM
in Hebrew the word for 'spirit' and the word for 'breath' have the same root. Following this line of thought (it's a long one, but I'm sure you can figure it out yourself), Kabalistic Astrologers have concluded that your first breath is when your spirit enters your body - when you first taste the energies of existance with your own lips.

Now, moving off that argument, consider this: every moment of your life has more influence on who you are than any moment that would come after. The younger you are, the more free receptors you have in your brain, and thus you adapt more easily. Children can adapt better than adults, adults can adapt better than elders. Every time you make an adaptation, it changes who you are - what you like, what you do, how you speak, etc. depending on what kind of adaptation you make. Another example: if you move to a different country, every experience you have after that point would be different than if you didn't move. That step would be more important than any other step you make after the move.

If, then, every moment has more of an effect than the next, that would mean that the most important, most defining moment of your entire existance would be the very first.

The first breath you take, then, brings the energies of the moment - however they are aligned - into you and defines the basis of your existance.

Here are a few known affectors of energy:
- planets, stars and other astral bodies
- the seasons
- global location
- entities in proximity (including people, animals and spirit beings) [note: the mood entities are in is also a big affector]
- air quality

All of these things affect how you feel at any given time and, in the case of the the first moment, establishes what 'personality traits' you fall back when you've got no reason to act otherwise.
 taurus516
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2005 10:20:11 AM
Here are a few known affectors of energy:
- planets, stars and other astral bodies
- the seasons
- global location
- entities in proximity (including people, animals and spirit beings) [note: the mood entities are in is also a big affector]
- air quality

All of these things affect how you feel at any given time and, in the case of the the first moment, establishes what 'personality traits' you fall back when you've got no reason to act otherwise.

I can understand the mechanics of some of those things having effect,the seasons..I guess seasonal circumstances surrounding a birth could have some effect,air quality for sure,entities?Yes.I can see that.Location,whether you're born in a third world back alley or a hospital in a major American city,but planets and stars light years away?I don't see it,except as means of mapping that was mentioned earlier.How does the position of a body light years away effect an event here on earth?
 HARRY STOTLE
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/17/2005 12:54:54 PM
Yes its a bit of stretch to believe a few stray photons from a distant star could or would effect someone at birth, probably the X-ray machine in the room next door would have more of an effect. Now, the moon does seem to affect people..ie the "lunatics". Apparently some people do go weird around the time of the full moon. Police records show a correlation..Magnetic?? Gravimetric?? who knows, maybe its just the sight of the moon that affects them..Naw can't believe in it myself..An English Werewolf in Canada...
 XoticDeeva
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/17/2005 3:39:28 PM
Hello All! it's been a few days,but I wanted 2 clear afew thing's up while I'm here
I am not into western astrology,it tends 2 "generalize" alot which can sometimes confuse people when they read certain thing's about them that aren't true at all,here's a good example...as a "cusp" kid I'm suppose 2 possess negative traits of the sign behind me & the positive ahead of me,yet I'm also suppose 2 be "wild/adventurous" which is extremely FALSE!seeking 2 explore everything NOT! possessiveness definitely NOT!flightiness/shallow not even close! so now that I have shed some light on the false characteristic traits of myself,I'm feelin alot betta now & as I've said b4... I was born in the year of the Dragon which tends 2 hold an huge amount of weight regarding my characteristic traits than western astrology generalization,I've already had my complete "astro"chart done,has anyone else?????
 Frivolimous
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/17/2005 5:06:53 PM
The stars are very far away, yes, but the energy still reaches earth. Just because it crosses a vast distance and takes a long time doesn't mean it has no power. The fact that light from the stars reaches earth means that some form of energy (light is a form of energy) does indeed reach the planet.

Besides this fact, A common theory amongst metaphysicists is that Emotional Energy has a higher wavelength than even Light, which means it would arrive sooner than light anyhow.

Western Astrology doesn't even bother with the stars anyways. Vedic Astrology deals with them heavily but Western Astrology deals almost exclusively with the planets within our solar system. That is, the 8 planets, plus the sun and moon, plus several other interesting things like the zodiac sign on the western horizon, the small asteroid/planetoid Chiron, the moon's north and south nodes, occasionally some of the asteroids in the asteroid field (those get complicated), and anything else we can find in our solar system.

There are several theories regarding how exactly Western Astrology works. The Sumerians believed there was a hidden energy flow that influenced the seasons as well as humanity... Jung believed in syncronicity 'as above, so below' that everything happens at the same time, following the same pattern, in every level at the same time. The Babylonians believed that the constellations held all the power and the planets (specifically the moon) showed which constellations held power at any given time. The Romans believed the planets were gods that worked their influence from the heavens (the Greeks before them held the same views but also believed that they worked through the energies of the Titans - or the Zodiac behind the planets. Not sure of the Roman view on this topic so I'll leave it out). The skeptics believe that it works because what you can determine with astrology is so vague that it could fit anyone. Another theory I heard (not sure of this one's origin) was that the zodiac were differently aligned energies that were the first things created by God which then influenced everything else in creation. The planets are filters that focus the zodiac energies onto the earth and, though each planet has an energy it is originated from, they can be used by any.

Pick a theory, any theory, any theory at all!
 Frivolimous
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/17/2005 5:23:09 PM
xoticdeeva: I'm feel bad that I failed. Don't blame Western Astrology for the misinterpretation, blame me, a humble Astrologer who tries his best to interpret the pattern of the heavens for the benifit of those on earth. :o)

I wasn't very far off though... You say the same things I did, but in different words, on your profile.

Instead of 'wild' you call yourself 'free-spirited' in the bottom paragraph. You are at least moderately adventurous if you're someone who 'loves to travel'.

Not shallow? Went to school for Cosmetology... not flighty? "Friendly,nuturing,outgoing personality,excellent communication skills"...
 XoticDeeva
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/17/2005 8:22:01 PM
Frivolimous,
I had no idea that enhancing a persons appearance whether it be hair,make-up,nails,ect,makes me be a "shallow" person. nor did I know that a free-spirited person is considered as being "wild"...ok & this is the last 1,flighty?unless we have different meanings of the word,u got me completely mixed up...so I guess since I've done some modeling I should be even more "shallow",right?????????lol
1 thing I've learned is 2 never "ASSUME" anything,all of these misperceptions of me is truly "amazing" considering the fact that no-one on this site knows me better "me" oh wait,let me rephrase that 1...no one on this site knows me at all *Shaking the negative vibes away*
 Frivolimous
Msg: 89
Posted: 6/17/2005 10:53:46 PM
it makes you shallow because your appearance is a shallow concept. Being shallow means focussing on 'the shallows' of life, anything at the surface of existance. Physical appearance is an extremely vast field of study, marketing and living - but there is no depth to it. Especially when you build upon the shallows, working to mask natural essence and potential for a deep life through clouding the waters with makeup and perfume, adding a new level of illusion to this already muddled reality. In extremely dire cases of shallowness you have the 'moron' who can't connect anything they experience on the surface of reality to anything deeper than how it appears with their own senses. Of course, at the opposite end of the spectrum, if you get lost in the depth of your mind and lose touch with the surface of reality you become skitzofrenic.
 XoticDeeva
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/18/2005 8:16:58 AM
friv,
The word "shallow" means "lacking" depth of intellect,emotion or knowledge.where once again,ur extremely WRONG about me,anytime u can call someone "shallow" because they take pride in their appearance, is pretty sad...whatever personal issues u have against people who take pride in their appearance,is a "personal" thing & it should stay that way.
U seem "angry"...who knows....
U were better off admitting that u were "wrong" about ur assumptions regarding my characteristic traits earlier & leaving it that way,posting parts of my profile in here was 2 prove what again????? ah yes! that ur "wrong" once again what's next? u posting a pic of my shoes in here as u try 2 based my characteristic traits on them because of the color,size & company that I purchased them from??????? 2 FUNNY!
Just in case u didn't know,this topic of discussion isn't about "me"! and I think it should stay that way,I'm more interested in various types of astrology as I'm guessing that others are, who visit this topic of discussion as well.
Don't get me wrong,we're all entitled 2 our opinions,but when u base it on something or someone u don't even know, repeatedly,it tends 2 "bore" other guests who may wanna share their views on the original topic of discussion,I know this because I'm already "bored" & would like 2 hear from other people who share astrological interests whether their into astrology or not,that "IS" what this forum is suppose 2 be about,right??????
 LaFemmeNico
Msg: 91
Posted: 6/18/2005 10:44:01 AM
Skeptics are everywhere, most are non-introspective....but, if you go too in depth about someone's reasons for falling into their sign "categories," it loses it's mystique. I care about my appearance....I, however, am not shallow or flighty. I want to be attractive to people, just enough to make them want to get to know the inner me. I don't base my opinions of things on face value at all, but there is nothing cloudy about a girl doing girly things, such as makeup, hair, etc. Some people are still fascinated with makeup, as if they are 5 years old and still getting into their mother's makeup drawer. I get that way sometimes.

In other words, there might be deeper reasons why she is shallow at times, or flighty...and they might have nothing to do with what's in her profile. They might be in her responses though....

Could you explain why I'm definitely a scorp by what's in my profile????
 Frivolimous
Msg: 92
Posted: 6/18/2005 11:29:14 AM
I'm sorry xoticdeva, I didn't mean to offend you or give off any 'negative vibes'. I'm not angry, I was just trying to clarify my position. I can tell this argument is getting nowhere though so I agree, lets drop this.

lafemmenico: I'll try...
Scorpios are, in the zodiac, considered to be the Young Boy. It represents the part of the masculine life cycle between the ages of 5 and 12. Key words that describe both are: energetic, possessive, joyous, curious, intuitive.

Scorpio also rules the genetals, the left brain and the planet pluto. Sexual energy, Intuition, Abstract identification, Tactile learning, prefering extremes, living on the edge/fringe and binding through morality are all statements applicable to Scorpios. The Scorpio is considered the most mysterious and least understood sign of the zodiac. Scorpios all have extreme depth to them, and an intensity that, if not seen in their manners, can always be seen in the eyes. Scorpios are also natural liars and natural actors. That is, the action is natural, not necessarily the ability. Scorpios love their privacy and resent people who intrude in their personal space.

Now, lets take a look at your profile...

"I like people who are modest, laid back, non-judgemental, and independent" - Taking the last statement, you love privacy. Someone who doesn't judge and likes to be independent probably won't pry into your individual life because they understand what it means to have privacy. Modesty means not advertising your strengths. Scorpios are usually very modest, not because they're humble but because they'd rather surprise people with hidden skills. You can identify with modesty.

"I dislike the opposite (cocky, superficial, over-bearing, etc)." - Modesty means not advertising your strengths. Scorpios are usually very modest, not because they're humble but because they'd rather surprise people with hidden skills. Being**** is the opposite, laying everything on the table and not allowing for the mysteries that make life interesting.

"I want to do a lot of things...learn how to play guitar, become a doctor, be a model, write novels, be a movie star..." - Scorpios are curious creatures and tactile learners. As such, they always want to DO everything. They also want to BE everything, learn how to wear all the masks they can.

"i haven't figured out which one is within reach, but i'm leaning towards going to medical school eventually." - This isn't a natural path for a Scorpio, but doesn't contradict anything. You may have some Virgo somewhere else in your comprehensive chart. Scorpios lean more towards the mind than the body - tend towards Psychology over traditional Medicine.

"I think that the woman who is unaware of her physical beauty, but is focused on her own interior beauty is a true work of art." - Depth over everything. The inner self is more important than the outer self to a Scorpio, though image means alot to a Scorpio, they want to give off a good image. Therefore, appearance is also important.

---

Something like that. How did I do?
 XoticDeeva
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/18/2005 12:36:33 PM
lafemmenico,
Have u had ur chart done yet? it can help u 2 understand a lil more about being a Scorp,just think,u got ur moon,sun,time of birth,year of birth,r u fire,metal, wood,earth or water,ect.,
Most of my fem buddies r Scorpio's we clique very well 2gether,but on the other hand most of my guy buddies r "fire" signs (Leo,Sag or Aries) I was told b4 that because I carry 2 signs as 1,it makes it very hard 4 people 2 try 2 figure me out,lol so I decided 2 have my personal chart done,I didn't take everything I read 4 face value,but it was very interesting 2 read...
 LaFemmeNico
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/19/2005 12:16:48 AM
that was very insightful, frivolimous. thanks :) you know i just want your attention.

I don't know if I'm on the cusp technically or not....I was born on Nov. 19th, so I think it's pretty close. I know what it's like to feel conflicted, personality wise, xoticdiva. Sometimes I am pretty out of character and shock the sh*t out of myself. That's most likely just human nature though.....

Where did you get your personal chart from?
 XoticDeeva
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/19/2005 10:42:17 AM
lafemmenico,
I got 1 of my charts from a site called astro.com & then I had a friend 2 do another chart 4 me...
 LaFemmeNico
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/19/2005 9:12:56 PM
I just read my chart from astro.com.....it was interresting, but too cliche/general, I think. I have read just about everything there is to read about my sign (sun, rising, moon) on the internet and am still looking for more that I haven't read.....maybe I should move on to books. i used to own Linda Goodman's Sun Signs....anyone else privy to this book?? it's so specific.
 Frivolimous
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/19/2005 9:20:33 PM
the best internet resource I've found is at www.astrology-numerology.com
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/19/2005 10:17:28 PM
can't believe in it myself..An English Werewolf in Canada...

love it the mystic's of the full moon and the revelance is that God's light preveals through the dark blanket of night. Is it any wonder there are those that fight it? without even being aware that they are spiritually fighting themselves?
 taurus516
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2005 8:47:33 AM
Is it any wonder there are those that fight it? without even being aware that they are spiritually fighting themselves?

I'm not sure I would call the lunatic who goes into fits at the full moon "fighting"the light.Many mystcis see the moon as empowering the erergies that cause such madness.The full moon is their ally.
 dapi_editor
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2005 4:55:49 PM
taurus

I'm coming late to this game but there are more than a dozen different interepretations to this. There is the Greco/Roman form of divination which uses exclusively the signs of the zodiac and the it's more modern variation which adds the oriental signatures of the 5 elements earth, air, fire, wood and water. More ancient forms such as the Indian tantric systems and the Confucian iChing co-exist along with the shamanistic/bhuddhist calendar of animal signs. It can get very confusing...

And then of course there are the many numeric charts and the pseudoscience of divination according to bloodtype.

Here is an overview

http://www.japanvisitor.com/jc/12-animals.html
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Do you believe in Astrology?