Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Non-Religious      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 forumschick
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Non-ReligiousPage 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Photobrent:

Do you consider yourself intelligent? If so, how do you arrive at the conclusion?

Please don't take offense; I am trying to find out how do you decide or base your standards for an individual's intelligence or lack thereof.

sarniafairyboy
Msg: 177
Non-Religious -
Posted: 8/6/2010 11:51:20 AM

Obviously a definition written by a believer! An atheist does NOT believe, and just like a person who does not play football is not "playing the sport of not playing football," atheism is neither religion nor belief. Atheism is simply a lack of belief.

An atheist does not believe what?? or just not believe in anything... hmmm??.

Now, as for dating, I have to say that depends. I consider faith, which is accepting something without adequate evidence or in spite of the evidence against it, to be a flaw in thinking.
really I kinda think the inability to accept things we are not in control of as natural purposeful workings of the essence of the energy of universe and cosmos as less about my logic and more about my character. Logically many of us can formulate the Spockian shoulder pinch. as you just did...subduing response interest and conversation for many moments. However, some elect to use both logic and faith eliminating neither as unimportant. we are a little oxymoronic.

an atheist does not believe there is ANY god.

but christians, Jews, Muslims, also reject belief in THOUSANDS of gods that people have believed in and still do believe in, such as:

Isis, Ra, Osiris, Vishnu, Zeus, Thor, Venus, Mercury, Raven, Appollo, Artemis, Vulcan, Dharma, Wurruna, Abassi, Abiku, Buku, Bumba, Quanta,Brahma, Shiva, Ganesha, Krishna,Lakshmi, Kali, etc, etc. etc. on & on & on.

so why do these people reject belief in these approx. 10,000 gods?

what you call 'atheists' have simply gone one 'god' further than you & reject belief in 10,001
 forumschick
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Non-Religious -
Posted: 8/8/2010 12:12:48 PM
so why do these people reject belief in these approx. 10,000 gods?

Because we can...

It is also my belief that we have been incredibly blessed with one of the greatest gifts from our creator; free will. Thus, enabling us to perplex one another with what we choose to believe...

themadfiddler
Msg: 179
Non-Religious -
Posted: 8/8/2010 1:50:47 PM
"Because we can" is a completely arbitrary reason, just so you know...not based in reason, logic, and as reasons go, cannot be really taken very seriously.

Why even the ancient Hebrews didn't go this far. They were henotheists that acknowledged other gods but simply placed their god first among others.
 Inicia
Msg: 180
Non-Religious -
Posted: 8/8/2010 7:27:37 PM
why do people reject belief in other peoples gods... I don't know??..

I generally don't reject others belief in a God/Gods/Goddess/es of their choosing, I also don't reject the atheistic belief and agnostic belief. I do respect peoples right to deny other ideas and beliefs; however, I find it hard to discuss much about faith with them. as I respect all of the beliefs stated.

I will staunchly support my own BS.. expect to support yours. I don't know why I have formulated my belief system (BS). It is the way I have come to believe through my life experiences. I cannot recall all of my life experiences that lead up to today's expression of self.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 181
Non-Religious -
Posted: 8/8/2010 9:13:06 PM

why do people reject belief in other peoples gods... I don't know??..

I generally don't reject others belief in a God/Gods/Goddess/es of their choosing, I also don't reject the atheistic belief and agnostic belief. I do respect peoples right to deny other ideas and beliefs; however, I find it hard to discuss much about faith with them. as I respect all of the beliefs stated.

I will staunchly support my own BS.. expect to support yours. I don't know why I have formulated my belief system (BS). It is the way I have come to believe through my life experiences. I cannot recall all of my life experiences that lead up to today's expression of self.

Nominate this for Best Post In Thread
 forumschick
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Non-Religious -
Posted: 8/11/2010 6:01:09 PM

"Because we can" is a completely arbitrary reason, just so you know...not based in reason, logic, and as reasons go, cannot be really taken very seriously.

Arbitrary or not is a reason, as you said above, it may not be a reasonable one or even logical to you, but you know what, it is a reason nonetheless, now isn’t it?
Considering on which side of the fence I am on, I was never on any danger of being taken seriously by those on your side. Yet I don’t think that has been, is or will ever be a concern of mine.

Why even the ancient Hebrews didn't go this far. They were henotheists that acknowledged other gods but simply placed their god first among others.

Were you going somewhere with this?
 best kept secret
Msg: 183
Non-Religious
Posted: 10/25/2010 8:58:09 PM
I don't get "Non-Religious" either, I also think "Christian-Other" is vague....what's the "Other"????

That's ironic since you have Christian-Other on your profile.

Ummmm......I picked that because I AM a Christian.....I can still wonder what the "Other" is...
 rockondon
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Non-Religious
Posted: 10/25/2010 9:28:32 PM
The' christian-other' option should be replaced with just "Christian." I don't know why the site-owners don't make that change.

As for 'non-religious' i would presume that is a category for people that aren't a member of a religion.
 mz taken
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Non-Religious
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:52:06 AM

As for 'non-religious' i would presume that is a category for people that aren't a member of a religion.

couldn't get any plainer.

see, speaking from my own atheistic (non-believer) perspective, I encourage anyone to chose what fits them.
what irritates me worse than proselytizing is the assumption that everyone has a belief in a higher entity...especially the god they chose for themselves.
there are no wrong choices, but lots of wrong assumptions.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Non-Religious
Posted: 10/26/2010 6:04:17 PM
RE Msg: 184 by rockondon;
The' christian-other' option should be replaced with just "Christian." I don't know why the site-owners don't make that change.
It wouldn't make a difference to me. But I imagine that it would make a difference to some denominations of Xianity, like Lutherans. But I'm not a Xian. So what do I know?

Whenever I've met someone who didn't belong to any religion, they would say just that they didn't belong to any religion. When I've met someone who said they were "non-religious", and there are a LOT of people that I've met who said they were non-religious, as it's quite a common phrase here in the UK, they would then say that they were a member of a religion, but weren't practising much of it at the moment.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Non-Religious