Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do men like it when women contact them first?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EricTheGreat1
Msg: 576
Do men like it when women contact them first?Page 24 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
Do men like it when women contact them first?

yes.

what else can i help you with?
 MeereKat
Msg: 577
Posted: 9/28/2008 6:28:07 AM
Sure we do..!!
..as long as the 1st question isn't .. : "Will you attend Mass with me...??'
 ~Sunrise_Walker~
Msg: 578
Posted: 9/28/2008 8:21:06 AM
Namats; I don't see anything wrong with that question as a first contact.
Wow! I've been gone for awhile and come back to find this thread still going!
I still think winks or flirts are a good way to break the ice and show an interest.

I started this thread under another name, but a rose by any other name is just as sweet.
 LMNTLMagick
Msg: 579
Posted: 9/28/2008 8:54:45 AM
I think most (not all) men love women hitting on men. It makes a man's job easy and inflates his ego.

I don't do it.

Because prostitutes do this.

It is more than just being friendly.

Thanks but I'll wait, even if it is years on here for a man to contact ME. Whoever advances first and speaks first is the man. I want men to be men. But then again I wear 98% of the time skirts and dresses, not a pair of sweatpants in my closet and I don't play tackle football, never smoked a cigar when it was the trendy thing for women to do and I believe there are certain jobs only men should do. I think ERA and women's lib were the worst things that ever happened to women and the best thing that ever happened to men (sex without marriage, sex without commitment, no more 'women and children first' nowadays lifeboats would be filled to the rim with men pushing women out of the way so men could save their own lives first. Thanks a lot Gloria Steinem). I'm not that kind of girl. But more power to you women K.D. Lang's, Rosie O'Donnells and Ellen DeGeneris' who love to play the role of man and initiator when finding a person you like.

And one more thing: women's lib has devalued men. Nowadays a woman can buy a child and raise it alone so what does she need a man for? Nowadays women raise children with other women. And women's lib has devalued women: with laundromats, washing machines, restaurants, nannies and strip clubs....what does a man need a nice woman for? Both sides lose. So when a woman approaches a man a lot of men will think yes, she's being friendly, but many men think she is open to horizontal possibilities as well.

Thus leading to the modern age where everyone (including me) is mixed up with us not meeting people in normal ways because all our signals are mixed up. The rules of conduct have changed. No one knows how to be any more. I usually date foreigners just because they still believe the man takes care of and protects the women.....and as for equality....honestly, there's no such thing.
 She_Biscuit
Msg: 580
Posted: 9/28/2008 12:34:55 PM
You bet, I’ll contact first. Old fashion values are good, but some are just that, outdated, because things do change. It is hard enough to find a profile to be interested in, so if you find one that spikes your interest for one reason or more, go for it. Most guys would be flattered and what do you have to loose but just not getting a response back. No biggie, time rolls on and bet your cards, you’ll get other responses back. Go for it!
 Nancy54534
Msg: 581
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 2:41:04 PM
Well never know what you are missing unless you give it a try. Most guys will respond with a decent message. If they don't well maybe that lost courtesy might be a signal. The fallacy of women sitting twiddling their thumbs anymore is gone. Life is too exciting and interesting to waste time weighing should or not. Granted you might have to have some tough armour for some responses but learn to laugh and roll with responses(nothing else intended on that statement either!). There is the other that maybe the guy is shy or has been rejected so much he has retreated and repairing his heart and ego also.
 Miss49er
Msg: 582
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:02:33 PM
Ya know, I always considered myself old fashioned. But then, when I see someone I think is cute or they have something I like, I'll say so.
I sent an email to a guy because I liked his hat..he replied...and over two hours later we finally said good night. It wasn't an intention to start anything ......

But it did
 ~Sunrise_Walker~
Msg: 583
Posted: 9/29/2008 9:34:07 AM
LMNT; Very well said. I agree with it all. I've never been the pursuer (or what ever you want to call it), and never will be. When men are no longer approaching me, or making first contact, it will be time for me to just get used to not having a man in my life. But so far, so good. When that day comes, I will still be happy and have a full life either way.

As I've said earlier in this thread, I'm just not attracted to men who are totally immersed into this "role reversal" thing. Give me an old fashioned man any day of the week, and there are still some who believe in the old ways

Again, I think it's fine for women to contact men first if they're
comfortable doing it.

I wear jeans or shorts most of the time, but I'm all woman, and I'm attracted to men who are not afraid to be a man.
 supersweetpickles
Msg: 584
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 7:34:50 AM
i am with you on this one. why can't a man just be a man and say "i am not interested". how hard would that be. we are grown up i know that we can take it. i wish everyone was on the same page as you and i. good luck to you. from what i have seen and talked to your going to need it. (lol)
 JoeS71
Msg: 585
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 8:50:01 AM
OP:

To the title: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While some men do like being the pursuer, it's definately an ego boost to be pursued as well. Men and women aren't so different in thier base reactions as people like to think (Biases and social upbringing are completely opposite, so don't nail me for saying this). You get a rush when a man comes up to you and starts to flirt, right? Don't you think they'd get the same rush if you approached them?

Personally, I'd love it if a woman decided to strike up the conversation and let the flirts fly...
 veryordinary
Msg: 586
Posted: 10/7/2008 10:08:34 AM
Modern man has forgotten what a man really is and modern woman has become so sexually promiscuous and agressive, many men expect the woman to make the first move because that is what they are used to. I think men fear rejection more than women do. I do not think men want to pursue any longer, they prefer to be pursued. Before everyone bashes me for "generalizations", this is only my personal and most probably "flawed" perception.
 Renaissance Man 1950
Msg: 587
Posted: 10/7/2008 8:34:45 PM

why can't a man just be a man and say "i am not interested". how hard would that be. we are grown up i know that we can take it. i wish everyone was on the same page as you and i.

One of the most boring, D2D "issues" on POF, is why don't people answer emails? Some do, some don't, so what? It's not going to change, and it makes no practical difference, so move on with life. Why worry about it?
 matchlessm
Msg: 588
Posted: 10/9/2008 5:22:15 AM
I like pursuing just fine. But it IS nice to get at least a pleasant response--assuming the guy's been polite, there's no good reason for a rude one. If the woman's not available or not interested, all she has to do is refer in passing to her fiance, husband, etc. We guys don't expect to succeed every single time we approach an attractive woman. As long as a good number of them show some interest in return, great. But when SO MANY single women act unfriendly and suspicious, it makes you less likely to approach them. Instead of being excited about the prospects and thinking "Wow, what if we hit it off!" you find yourself asking, "Why am I putting myself through this unpleasant ordeal again?"
 dolphinlynn
Msg: 589
Posted: 10/10/2008 1:10:09 AM
the way i look at it is this... if i see a man that interests me then i will gladly let him know that i am interested. but i also give him an out and i let him know that if he isnt interested then thats okay we could just be friends but if he doesnt want that then good luck with his fishing.
dont get me wrong i still like to be contacted first but i think men enjoy that as much as women do....
 INWITHTHENEW
Msg: 590
Posted: 11/24/2008 7:12:39 PM
I think its more of an individual personality thing for guys. I love the type that goes after what he wants but I realize some might need that green light from us. But after I've let him know I was interested and he still isn't initiating contact I gather that it's pretty safe to say I'm not what he wants and he's not what I require.....
 1foreverbabyblue
Msg: 591
Posted: 12/8/2008 8:40:02 PM
Wow,, i haven't been to read the forum in quite sometime,, but when i read what you wrote i couldn't agree more.. You get together with someone,, everything goes great,, and they never talk to you again,,what is with that,, I agree with the idea they say I am not on the same page as you,, or i don't feel a connection but thanks for the opportunity to meet you.. anything,, would be good.. Why do men do things like that????
 mtowndebz
Msg: 592
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2008 10:38:24 PM
Ive alway contacted the guys first as sometimes they are too shy and like the woman to contact them and i think most guys are more than pleased if the woman contacts them first . They may secretly want to be the pursuer but dont mind if they are contacted by the woman.
 KraegarM
Msg: 593
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 9:42:14 AM
[ TheDirtyBen

Msg: 530

Posted: 8/20/2008 250 AM
Here's an interesting analogy......works with the site theme too.

If you are a fisherman/woman, what kind of fish do you want? I don't mean species, but qualities!

Do you want a fish that races along the outskirts of the pond, without regard for the other fish........leaving the rest in it's wake?
Do you want a fish that is active within the pond, gets along with the other fish but isn't afraid to venture out into the deep end of the pond?
Do you want a fish that consistently stays in the deep end of the pond and as close to the bottom as possible?
Do you want a fish that floats on the surface of the pond, motionless?
Do you want a lame fish that flops on your doorstep?

Your individual level of proactivity in your love life will determine what kind of fish you are able to catch.]

This I agree with. . . . . . . . . . and will add that In order to 'have' a 'thing', one must become that 'thing' in their own person.

KM
 SweetLeighofArkansas
Msg: 594
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2008 10:28:28 AM
I use the "Viewed Me" feature at this site a lot. If they have viewed me, I then go and view thier profile. If I like most of what I read, I drop them a line. A short hello, with a statement about what interested me.

Because I am seeking a LTR, I have a lot of restrictions, and sometimes people who I feel might make a good friend, or "conversational partner", can't PM me because of the restrictions.

Because of POF's uniqness and approach to dating, and the whole variety of people here, I find that I am making friends, the more I am here. That in itself, keeps me here.

And, I've stepped out to reading and responding on the forums, over the last few days, and that has felt good. And, I have looked at posters profiles, just to see who they are from what thier profile says. And, compare what I think, to a response they have posted on a subject. An interesting exercise in itself.

OP: Do it your way, and know that things will come together, to bring you what you desire.

Leigh :)
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 595
Posted: 12/14/2008 10:46:59 AM

That depends on the woman.
 katiliz
Msg: 596
Posted: 12/23/2008 10:53:50 AM
I agree with LMNTLMagick's posting. It's sad how all the confusion has ruined romance, courtship, and marriage. I've had to become (too) independent and assertive out of sheer survival and inability to find a man who knows how to honor and cherish a traditional, but also intelligent, woman. I agree that this demeans men's important role as providers and protectors and leaves women no one to be feminine, receptive and nurturing to. Men and women have equal VALUE, but are very different. It's that way because that's what makes the world go 'round.
 want to travel
Msg: 597
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2008 1:56:25 PM
I find if a woman contacts me first, they are real, as opposed to game players, and attention seekers
 dustyknight
Msg: 598
Posted: 1/2/2009 3:29:25 PM
I still like it when a lady takes the iniative to contact me. Even to just say hello and enjoyed your profile.
Thankyou to those that have in the past..
good luck fishing to you all
dusty
 rightmistake2
Msg: 599
Posted: 1/2/2009 3:31:58 PM
i figure it cant hurt to just say hi
 sláinte!
Msg: 600
Posted: 1/3/2009 11:20:10 AM

I still like it when a lady takes the initiative to contact me. Even to just say hello and enjoyed your profile.

I've tried...never thought I'd say it but I'm too young? And in all practicality, too far away. Did enjoy profile. Best to you in 2009!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do men like it when women contact them first?