Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Who are Asians?.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NoseyNeighbor
Msg: 26
Who are Asians?.Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Who are Asians?. In America most people think Chinese (or people with Chinese features). I am not saying every person thinks like this but in my experience the majority do.

The OP's question looks awfully similar to a Wikipedia article titled: "Asia" ..the similarities are shuttering. Difference is that the Wikipedia article has references, the OP has no references, just his opinion.

1. The article is at odds with OP's assertion that UK people think of Asians as Pakistani/Indian. When in fact they do not. UK people think South Asians.

2. I don't know what gin mill the OP hangs out in, but the majority of Americans think Chinese people are from China. And Asians are not just Chinese. Rather we think of Asians as people from the Asian region which includes many countries.

Wikipedia Verbatim: "ASIANS"
"In the United States, Canada, and Australia, the term refers most commonly to people of predominantly East Asian, South Asian, and Southeast Asian ancestry; however in the United Kingdom and Anglophone Africa, the term refers most commonly to South Asians.[7][8] In other countries, the term is applied to all people from Asia in general. In the US, however, Middle Eastern and Central Asian people are usually not considered Asian peoples.[9]"
 Translation
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 11:45:59 PM
Good point NoseyNeighbor.

I usually ask a person which country they come from and go with that. I probably think differently than others because I have been to a few Asian countries and can usually note the differences.

But, the topic question did say ‘Who are Asians?’, so that is what I was basing my posts on. Asia is so vast that referring to people as Asian is like referring to them as Earthlings. A continent based description only really works with Australia, but even there, there are many differences, but the Country/ Continent name is the same.
 whitefether
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 12:54:17 AM
I think of people from the MiddleEast as being Arab/Persian/Jewish; people from India as being Asian and people from China as being from the FarEast or Oriental. Far East and Oriental are obviously not PC anymore.

Sherry
 Tatty-Anne
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 1:01:45 AM

Last I checked Asia was not a country.

No its not a country, but continents are also marked on the world map and I think this is what Translation’s post was pertaining to.
 nicktomlinrhys
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 11:41:15 AM

1. The article is at odds with OP's assertion that UK people think of Asians as Pakistani/Indian. When in fact they do not. UK people think South Asians.

No....we say Asians and mean Indian/Pakistanis .We never say South Asians .
So the OP does have a point and his point is that if he puts ASIAN will people think he is Asian as in Chinese or Asian as in Indian/Pakistani . So we say British Asian .

Iraqis,Lebanese,Iranian,Afghanis etc etc are all of the same variety of person as Indian /Pakistani .In fact if you saw some south eastern Europeans and compared the British Asians..................you would be hard pressed to know who was who.

Russians sometimes call themselves Asian .lol....yet Turkey and Israel are on the verge on being accepted as Europeans which they are not .They are more like the same as Indo/Pakistanis,middle easterners and south Europeans .There is hardly anything visually in it .

So I would say that visually the word Asian conjures up what ? And that seems to be the point here.

To be Asian you can be a blond Russian ,a red haired Afghan or a Pakistani (all caucasians btw) ....or even a Chinese .So Asian as in ethnic origin does not wash but Asian as in geography is different .
 P1zzaman
Msg: 31
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 1:55:19 PM
Here this will answer your question:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fnG9wHCKN-c
 BigIrishLad
Msg: 32
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 3:54:49 PM
So, since Russia is so large, what would a Russian be known as? Asian or European?

Eurasian?

Anyway, every time I go to Ireland/England/Scotland, the first question I am asked is if I am from America.

I ask them to be more specific in their question, and they look at me as though I was daft.

I tell them I am North American....they then say...Yank or Canuck? I tell them I am Canadian, born in Ireland, and then for some strange reason, they treat me well after that. I hate to think how I would have been treated had I said I was from the USA.
 Friendlione
Msg: 33
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 4:14:04 PM
I've always hated the way people categorize things. "Asians" is a good example of what I’m talking about. Isn't Asia a continent??? A CONTINENT?! Therefore anyone from that continent regardless of appearance can appropriately be referred to as Asian. Iraq is in Asia, but what do we call a person from Iraq that comes here? Not Asian that's for sure. But if someone is from China… “Oh…ohhhh YOU’RE Asian.”

I'm gonna throw another one out there that I hate: African American. When dark-skinned EUROPEAN people come to America to visit, people see them and refer to them as African Americans quite often. WRONG! These people aren't even American. Why are you referring to them as African American? He's French for goodness sake. I don't care what color his skin is.

What do we call WHITE people born and raised in South Africa that immigrate to the U.S. and become naturalized citizens? Do we refer to these new citizens as African Americans? Of course, not! That would make too much sense. We just say they're White most of the time, while referring to Black Americans, most of which never having been to Africa or practicing African culture, as African Americans.

Finally, when someone born and raised in the U.S. is asked his or her nationality and answers, "Oh, I'm American," people will look at him or her as if they are on crack. "American? That's not a nationality." Oh it isn't? America is not a sovereign nation? American is not a nationality? "Okay, then I'm Asian." "There we go. Now THAT’S a nationality." WTF?! That's a freaking continent dumb@$$ not a nation.
The sad part is that these trends will exist for a very long time lol.
 Drackoe28
Msg: 34
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 4:24:19 PM
You guys are completely ignoring the Central Asian nations and I am quite sure they are all offended.
 DaveB951
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 6:45:16 PM
^^^^ they will get over it ....... lol
 lovlybetty
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 6:55:45 PM
i_m_looking_for_you@hotmail.com
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 7:15:55 PM

Can a Canadian shed some insight as to where you would think someone is from, or descended from, when referred to as Asian?

Vancouver or Toronto?
Seriously though would Asian not just indicate "from some part of Asia", the same as South American could be Peruvian, Brazilian, Argentinian, and so on.
What difference does it make? Within Indian and Chinese cultures there are multiple sub-cultures and languages, so even nailing it down to a specific country doesn't tell you much at all until you speak with the person.
 DaveB951
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 9:15:07 PM
Yea but if you really wanna split hairs..... we can go waaaaay waaaay back in time when the first humans originated out of Africa and slowly started to migrate...... so are we all not Africans ? I mean..... where does it begin and end ?

Peace
 Translation
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 9:26:35 PM

we can go waaaaay waaaay back in time when the first humans originated out of Africa and slowly started to migrate.

Oh sure, that’s what you were lead to believe. Some scholars are starting to think that those few skeletons that have been found are critters that actually migrated to what is now known as Africa. There is a lot of evidence that hominids really originated in Asia, which is in what is considered to be the eastern hemisphere, which is on planet earth.

But, don’t tell that to extra terrestrials, oh no, they will get offended and try to convince you that you are wrong.

Now, when I say originated in Asia, I am not talking about far eastern Asia, or even southern Asia, nope, that would be too presumptuous.
 DaveB951
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 9:47:21 PM
Some scholars are starting to think that those few skeletons that have been found are critters that actually migrated to what is now known as Africa.

Yes, "some" scholars are "starting" to think that "maybe"........... but for now fossil and skeletal remains still overwhelmingly point to Africa as ground zero........

then again.... life began in the oceans as single cell ameobas.........lets face it............we`re all descendents of freaking algae goop ....... yup........ we`re all goops with slightly different eye shapes, facial structures, skin colors and hair types.........and all this time I thought I was caucasion...........Not to mention at one time there was only one land mass on the earth which eventually seperated over the ions to 7 different continents.......

Ya know.......... I just don`t know who or what I am anymore

Jeez...... Life was so simple before I read this thread..........

Peace
 Translation
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 10:04:35 PM

life began in the oceans as single cell ameobas.

Oh sure, blame it all on the amoebas. There is also evidence that life began on Pangaea and then migrated into the seas. It’s true. Even the whale did it. The hippopotamus tried, but was a little scared, and now they hide their activity with their nocturnal carnivorous rampages across the land while during the day they look so sweet and innocent munching on plant crud. Talk about confused.

Coconuts also tried to migrate, but they couldn’t do it alone; the swallows gave up on them after the first couple of attempts. But not the European swallows, oh no, they are not migratory, must have been African swallows.
 pokerandpucks
Msg: 42
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 10:33:06 PM

But then, it is most likely that most Americans cannot tell you where Asia is on a world map.

From what I've heard, most Canadians, South Americans couldn't either, and most Europeans and Asians couldn't pick out Canada.

Ignorance and ethno-centrism is a world wide phenomenon.
 pokerandpucks
Msg: 43
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 10:39:48 PM

So, since Russia is so large, what would a Russian be known as? Asian or European?

Russians prefer to be called European. Most of the bigger cities are on the Euro side of the Urals, which is the dividing line between the continents.

Of course culturally they have nothing in common with the rest of Europe. Russia never had any contact with the Greeks or Romans, so they never had those traditions. If anything, they were more Norse, and they trace the first royal family's roots to some Norsemen that came down the rivers into the area. The Renaissance, which was a re-birth of the culture for Europe, was just the birth of the culture for the Russians.

The rest of Europe viewed them like the rich people in Malibu or Beverly Hills would probably view some redneck family that won $200 mil in the lottery and wanted to be just like their new neighbors.
 Friendlione
Msg: 44
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 10:55:46 PM
If someone is Russian then they're Russian. See how simple that is?

If someone is Chinese, is he or she also Asian? Here's a better question: who the %$#! cares? Just refer to him as being Chinese once this is discovered. It's not that difficult.

Within continents, we have these little things called countries or nations. People are often born in these smaller units, which makes it easier to identify nationality. See how that works? :) Why must things be so complicated?
 Translation
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 11:08:19 PM

Russians prefer to be called European.

Oh boy, now I am confused about the Russians. I thought that they were originally from the Persian area, or whatever the Middle East area was at the time, and migrated north via the Caucasus Mountains. Also, Roman/Greek legends do tell of contact with the peoples of ‘the former USSR’, but most notably present day Georgia. What was it, hmm, oh yeah, Jason and the Argonauts. Georgia was supposed to be where they had to go to get the Golden Fleece. But, this does not deter the notion that later, during the dark ages, that the Norse did travel the rivers into the USSR region. Caucasians were known to be from India, up through Russia, and into Europe, but originally from the Persian area.

Note – I use the term Former USSR as a general regional area, since now the area is of too many countries to list here in one post.

According to history, it can be shown that most peoples did come from Asia, around the area of Persia. According to prehistory, bones and such, there were peoples from Africa and Indonesia, but that is very limited on findings, since most bones and artifacts get destroyed by other animals and critters and weather and decay rates. Only in certain conditions are remnants available for finding; hence the lack of proper determination that hominids came from Africa. That is only because Africa has some of the best conditions for remnants to be found in.
 Frisky Monkey
Msg: 46
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 11:52:55 PM
And I have a friend from Vladivostok but no one considers her Asian though that's totally the Asian part of Russia. Wait.....all of Russia is in Asia too.
 Frisky Monkey
Msg: 47
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/13/2008 11:54:52 PM

You guys are completely ignoring the Central Asian nations and I am quite sure they are all offended.

Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
All other countries are run by little girls.
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
Other countries have inferior potassium.

Kazakhstan home of Tinshein swimming pool.
It’s length thirty meter and width six meter.
Filtration system a marvel to behold.
It remove 80 percent of human solid waste.
 Drackoe28
Msg: 48
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/14/2008 12:17:52 AM
Russia actually has a lot in common with Europe. Hell they, were founded by Vikings and heavily influenced by Byzantium. Moscow was modeled as the "New Constantinople" or the New...New Rome. This is why they're Eastern Orthodox, a religion shared by Greece and some in the Balkans. It was also the predominate religion in places once controlled by Byzantine like Egypt and Turkey... though of course these are now mostly Islamic. When Byzantine fell, Russia essentially considered itself the successor state of the Byzantine (Eastern Roman) Empire. Consider that the word "Tsar" is derived from the Roman "Caesar." Russia architecture is similarly largely influenced by Byzantine architecture.

They are different in that they are neither Latin nor Germanic, which is what the rest of Europe primarily is. They're Slavic, which is like the red headed step child of European ethnic groups. Russia is the fusion of Slavic with Byzantine influence. Its not a surprise then that Russia is seen as non-European then, since the Slavs were of marginal importance throughout most of Europe's history, and the Byzantines ceased to exist as a nation half a millennium ago.

So Russia is European, but it frames is existence in terms in of opposition to the rest of Europe. This is probably because of its geographic isolation and long history of disorganization and relative backwardness - even the idea of a "Russian identity" was essentially a construct of Vladmir the Great's attempts at unification. There have been notable attempts at making Russia more European, as exemplified by the reign of Peter, wherein he did things like tax the wearing beards (a traditional Russian sign of manhood), establish a more Western capital in St. Petersburg (with an appropriately German suffix), and adopt European styles of dress and etiquette.

The biggest difference is probably the use of Cyrillic v. Roman lettering. So I suppose I'd put it this way: Russia is European, but not Western. Since most of Europe has styled itself as "Western", this leaves Russia as something of an aberration in comparison to those nations. It may be something else, but definitely not "Asian."
 nicktomlinrhys
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/14/2008 2:31:13 AM

been notable attempts at making Russia more European, as exemplified by the reign of Peter, wherein he did things like tax the wearing beards (a traditional Russian sign of manhood), establish a more Western capital in St. Petersburg (with an appropriately German suffix), and adopt European styles of dress and etiquette.

Russia is two parts in Asia and one part in Europe .The history and culture of Russia was a mix of Asian and European.Thats what makes it unique .Peter the Great was force feeding Europe to Russia so although there is a big Slavic population......they were asiatic in dress history and manner.Which is nothing to be upset about.

And if you notice........of all the places Russia could pick for the symbols of Russia.......it was the Kremlin .That sums up what Russia is. European and Asian at its very best . You get the tremendous ethnic mix.The blond white Russians...the Siberians and the mixed ones like Lenin,Trotsky and Yeltsin .The slant eyes on european colouring is there .Then you get the central Asians like Khazaks or Uzbeks.
Mix of european,Persians and tibetian types .

Lately I have been seeing stunning Khazak women .Sometimes they have light hair as in light brown or dark blond ,olive or creamy skin ,slightly slanty green or blue eyes .

So stunning that all we can do it gawp and the best is they just don't realise it .No makeup....no fashion aids....just plain natural beauties.

All in all Russians tend to say they are Russian or Asian and European in equal measure..A Slavic Russian has been known to call himself Asian.

But coming back to the OP topic.There is geography and there is ethnic.A black guy born in France will still be black.He is not European. And the whites in South Africa are Afrikkans......thats whites .

Asia and Europe overlap ethnically in the southern and eastern parts of Europe with the western and central parts of Asia .Then you have Russians overlapping with the southern and eastern parts of Asia. Amazing and stunning mixes of peoples and a rich vibrant history .
 rockchick24/7
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/14/2008 4:40:15 AM

Yeah because wikipedia is ALWAYS correct!

I am from the UK and to me an Asian person means someone of Pakistani/Indian/Bangladeshi descent.

The term "Oriental" is used in the UK to describe those of Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian etc. descent.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Who are Asians?.