Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Who are Asians?.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ForumFlounder
Msg: 76
Who are Asians?.Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
^^^ Regarding "who are Asians and who aren't" -- I agree with NappyKat for the most part. At least that is also what the conclusion of my own understanding is.

on the "oriential rug" part girl!!!! Took the words outta my mouth!!!

I think most SE Asians are dark but I'm not sure what countries or nationality constitutes as SE Asians.

Many are, but not all. I am SE Asian and my group of ppl (an ethnic minority) are typically not dark-skinned. A lot of times ppl mistake us for Chinese or Koreans and not SE Asians simply b/c of our lighter skin tone.

SE Asians = member of any of the countries that are geographically south of China and Taiwan, east of India and north of Australia.
 younowho
Msg: 77
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 11/17/2009 2:06:23 AM
This funny..some one along the line assigned names to regions of the earth. so now here we are.

your Asian ,, I'm American ,, oh but less go on.. I'm North American .. ok it get better.

I was Born here, meaning .. I'm native north American ... and I live on the west coast, but if I Travel to the South in the USA .. I'M a YANKEE .. WTF ..

Ok your turn, your Asian, are you Yankee tooooooo
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 11/17/2009 2:13:07 AM
My second ex, after coming home from a road trip, asked me: Who the hell are "Asians."? I said: Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, and sometimes Filipinos. He is Chinese. The answer made no sense to him. "But these countries and these people are not alike at all!" I said, I know, but they kinda look a bit alike. . . . And why did he want to know anyways? Because when the guys go out to a bar after work, these girls come up to me all the time and say: "I've always wanted an Asian baby. . . ."

xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 79
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 11/17/2009 7:54:01 AM
DNA and genetic testing is changing the face of who is what, who is "purely" what, and so forth, nowadays. For instance, there are people in Russia, Caucasians, who can wind up having the same paternal or maternal lineages (albeit quite distant) as someone further east in Asia. Haplogroups are assigned today to the various known human lineages, paternal and maternal, and just about anyone can test their own by swabbing their cheeks and sending it back to the lab.

For instance, my father was born in a rural remote place in southerly Italy. I always therefore identified as predominantly ( if anything besides American) "Italian-American". I still do , but after doing these tests (I actually did it three times to make sure they got it right), I learned that my father and I have a far better likelihood of finding our paternal genetic match and lineage in certain spots in the Middle East or northern Africa (Egypt in particular) , or even eastern Africa (Somalia in particular). Men in Italy , with the exception of a couple of small villages in southern Sicily, really don't carry the same paternal lineage as we do all that often. Some men in parts of Spain do however. It is very rare however in the rest of Europe. European men generally share three common "European" male lineages; I learned that my own is definitely not one of them.

The jury is still out as to why exactly this occurred in my line, if it is ever able to be known for sure, but one of the experts on this told me recently that my own exact paternal lineage is likely only about 1 - 2,000 years old (meaning that is when all the men in my haplogroup share a common father). And that common father may well have been from outside of Europe at that (relatively recent) time (possibly somewhere along the African coast).

This is sort of similar to how some black American men have had theirs tested, and they find (occasionally to their chagrin) , that rather than a common African paternal lineage, they in fact belong to one of the three most common northern or northwestern European paternal lineages (obviously a sad legacy of slavery, but , factual nonetheless). So it throws off peoples' sense of who they are, or what they "identify" with, to a point (at least at first).

So who knows in the end what men here actually may share a distant paternal lineage that could well be "Asian"? Genghis Khan fathered many many children and conquered much land, some of it as far west as Russia and Poland. Though his male DNA is not super-common in European-descended men today, it certainly happens. So we may fairly wonder, to a point, just like with any other ethnic or racial group , beyond obvious physical characteristics, which exactly are which. At some point, all of our lineages start to intermingle to a degree, and the likely places where they arose were after all in Asia (or "Eurasia" as some like to say), or if we really go back far enough in Africa.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 80
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 11/17/2009 9:12:16 AM
DNA and genetic testing is changing the face of who is what, who is "purely" what, and so forth, nowadays. For instance, there are people in Russia, Caucasians, who can wind up having the same paternal or maternal lineages (albeit quite distant) as someone further east in Asia. Haplogroups are assigned today to the various known human lineages, paternal and maternal, and just about anyone can test their own by swabbing their cheeks and sending it back to the lab.

For instance, my father was born in a rural remote place in southerly Italy. I always therefore identified as predominantly ( if anything besides American) "Italian-American". I still do , but after doing these tests (I actually did it three times to make sure they got it right), I learned that my father and I have a far better likelihood of finding our paternal genetic match and lineage in certain spots in the Middle East or northern Africa (Egypt in particular) , or even eastern Africa (Somalia in particular). Men in Italy , with the exception of a couple of small villages in southern Sicily, really don't carry the same paternal lineage as we do all that often. Some men in parts of Spain do however. It is very rare however in the rest of Europe. European men generally share three common "European" male lineages; I learned that my own is definitely not one of them.

The jury is still out as to why exactly this occurred in my line, if it is ever able to be known for sure, but one of the experts on this told me recently that my own exact paternal lineage is likely only about 1 - 2,000 years old (meaning that is when all the men in my haplogroup share a common father). And that common father may well have been from outside of Europe at that (relatively recent) time (possibly somewhere along the African coast).

This is sort of similar to how some black American men have had theirs tested, and they find (occasionally to their chagrin) , that rather than a common African paternal lineage, they in fact belong to one of the three most common northern or northwestern European paternal lineages (obviously a sad legacy of slavery, but , factual nonetheless). So it throws off peoples' sense of who they are, or what they "identify" with, to a point (at least at first).

So who knows in the end what men here actually may share a distant paternal lineage that could well be "Asian"? Genghis Khan fathered many many children and conquered much land, some of it as far west as Russia and Poland. Though his male DNA is not super-common in European-descended men today, it certainly happens. So we may fairly wonder, to a point, just like with any other ethnic or racial group , beyond obvious physical characteristics, which exactly are which. At some point, all of our lineages start to intermingle to a degree, and the likely places where they arose were after all in Asia (or "Eurasia" as some like to say), or if we really go back far enough in Africa.
First, I've said this before. Race is arbitrary. It is not real. It has no real genetic or biological meaning really (OK, some in cases for genetic disease like sickle cell, but other that, not much). Race and ethnicity has the greatest political and social importance and impact - and it is that importance and impact that is absolutely real because most of us feel it and see it everyday. We are treated by it and regarded by it. That is where we draw our lines in the sand and why we identify the way we do.

But yes, everyone is mixed. People of Asia and India and Africa were 'discovering' and exploring the 7 seas way, way, WAY before Columbus, Vespucci, DeGama, and the Europeans (and mixing with the various tribes and cultures). What made the Europeans so special and stand-out was their recent take on conquoring, colonialism, slavery (for both the Africans and the Native Americans), diving nations, instituting a policical and social system of 'races' and then stating which races or culture were inferior and superior. They certainly made a name for themselves. And again, I repeat here for emphasis - Race and ethnicity has the greatest political and social importance and impact - and it is that importance and impact that is absolutely real because most of us feel it and see it everyday. We are treated by it and regarded by it. That is where we draw our lines in the sand and why we identify the way we do.

Not surprised with the African link in Italy since they were country inhabited for 700 years by the Moores, which many have speculated to be dark and from North Africa - and North Africans migrated to the North from the South and East of Africa. Madagascar is a small African country with a very great diversity. They are Africans but many look like Filipinos, Africans, mixed heritage, white, etc.

I am black (meaning I am primarily of black African descent), with a racial, ethnic and genetic history of white, Native American, and Spanish/Mexican/SouthAmer. I've seen white-looking black people and black people with Asian features. How we choose to (or have to) identify is based on many things - family, culture, regions were born and raised, how we are treated and perceived by others.. That in italics is more the likely reason I choose myself as black with the others forming a lesser degree of importance in my reasons for being or choosing black (as if I actually had a choice). My heritage is African, not white, native american, or spanish; but as an African born and bred of America for at least the last 6-8+ generations (who were all mixed). And I was treated as a black woman, of African descent. Again - social and political importance having the utmost meaning here.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 81
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 11/17/2009 9:24:23 AM
^^ Well-put. I agree.
 batmanscat
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 4:27:28 AM
I think asians are nice. I love their black skin and their curly frizzy hair and the big lips. They are great dancers and very good at running too.
 deltadallas
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:15:55 AM
i enjoyed reading the posts until the bat person above me had to go RETARD. i didn't know that india/pakastan was considered Asians. it is confusing because when i think of asians, they normally have slant eyes and white/yellow tint. i'm not clear on how or when asians came to Russia.

it is very interesting to see how magnificent people have travelled and intermingled from their original homeland to other countries. i didn't know it was such a large amount of asians in places like jamaica, trinidad. what is new to me is the growing asian muslim population which i thought all asians or most were buddhists.
 sammylg
Msg: 84
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:51:22 AM
see post below. duplicate.
 sammylg
Msg: 85
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:57:24 AM
deltadallas.....speaking about ignorant posts....Yours is not much better.

Slant eyes and yellow tint? That is sort of equivalent of saying black people have "Big lips".

Asians are a whole conglomoration of races including Orientals, South Asian Indians, Polynesians and even caucasians. Asians are like Europeans, they represent an area, not a RACE.

Growing Asian muslim population? Indonesia has been largest muslim country in the world for decades and guess where it is? Pakistan is a huge Muslim country!

There are also tons of Protestant Christians (South Korea), Shinto (Japanese), Hindus (India), Catholics (Philipeans) and dozens of other religions on top of Buddhists that sprinkle the entire continent.
 deltadallas
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:10:18 AM
thank you. now that you mentioned it, i have seen asians with lips and noses bigger than mine but they are not interracially mixed. i got the yellow tint from what i have seen on the makeup shows, and booths at Clinique describing the products regarding the differences (asian, black , white ) skin tones. don't get emotional. this was not a post to be negative.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 87
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:48:41 AM
I agree. Didn't sound insulting IMO. It's an objective way of describing the skin tone; usually ranges from white with yellowish tint (what we might also call maybe 'light olive' ), to much darker brown in some cases in southeast Asia especially. Really no more insulting than saying a black person's skin ranges from light brown to nearly black, or a very fair white person's is very white with a pink tint. And what other way is there to describe the eyes, in a non-scientific manner? They appear "slanted", to us, yes. Just as ours appear round to them. Not everyone's going to be scientific enough to say they have epicanthic folds.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:55:48 AM
I just watched a show on the Discovery Channel last night that traced the genetic makeup of a cross-section in Queens, US. We all can be traced right back to one woman in ancient Africa, AND just because you think you are African or European or Asian doesn't mean you are. They showed that many, many people who could trace ancestry back to one set of peoples actually had the genetic markers from totally difference peoples. So you may want to drop the worries about descent and just choose whether you like other individuals or not based on attraction and values rather than "race".

Nutt
 deltadallas
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 10:17:54 AM
amen, girlfriend. i have to tell this little cute story before i leave this board for the day. its so addictive.

my niece is "yellow" with a little slant (eye) or some people same almond. my sister took her when she was a baby about six months to a beauty shop owned by some koreans. the women were all over her and asked to hold my niece, when one korean lady asked my sister is the baby's dad chinese? my sister told her NO my child is not asian. my sister asked the woman "when was the last time you saw a black woman with an asian man?" the korean woman insisted that my niece looked asian to her and she has family members with kids that look like her. but, even if she didn't see my sister she would have assume the baby was asian. i hate to say this ,but i sometimes call my niece "lil kim lee, chow mein or puerto rican yam"

my niece is 17 now, and a chinese boy asked her to his prom (she used to attend that school). she wanted to go since he is a friend and she wanted to see her old friends. well, his mom called my sister to ask if my niece could go. they (my sister and her husband) agreed. the young man's family took them to eat. the day of prom he came to the door with a flower (corsage), greeted the family, took pictures and opened the door for her to his car his folks had rented. according to my niece they had a good time but some of the boys at the school was upset or jealous of her going out with the young chinese guy. their little prom pictures look great. a person looking at these pictures wouldn't know that she (niece) wasn't asian since her skin is just as "yellow" as her date but her eyes are slanted but not as slanted as the young man.

it is really amazing how God or the infinite creator made people from different races but still some people in those races look remarkably like they could be from another race. i have seen so many hispanic people who look asian as well as blacks from the islands with asian or indian features.
 sashimiboy
Msg: 90
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 11:21:53 AM
Do you people know what "slanted" means? Their eyes are small, squinty, asiatic, almond, whatever you wanna call it. But I rarely see an asian with "slanted" eyes like this \ /
 jay
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 2:56:57 PM
Asians are so funny looking with their round eyes and freckles and red hair.
 Greyfeld
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 5:29:43 PM
You can call me racist or what have you, but the way I see it, if you have slanted eyes, you're asian.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 93
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:18:49 PM
Well my Great grandparents where all German, Polish, Irish and Chinese yet everyone would classify me as "white" or Caucasian...as fa as nationality goes, I'm an American.

After reading this thread, it's clear that some are confusing race, ethnicity and nationality.
 sashimiboy
Msg: 94
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:39:51 PM

You can call me racist or what have you, but the way I see it, if you have slanted eyes, you're asian

Some mexicans have asian eyes, some whites, some blacks. Look at mike tyson, richard gere, mark wahlberg. I wouldn't classify them as asian.
 Damnprosthetichead
Msg: 95
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:07:02 PM
Deltadallas, I can assure you that if your niece looks that asian, her father is obviously not who you think it is.
 SJB2010
Msg: 96
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:57:52 PM
Do you think filipinos/as are Asians AND pacific islanders? Or just PI?
 DarkKent
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/12/2010 10:18:32 PM
Nope...asias not a country...it's a continent. Are you kin to Sarah Palin by chance? Continents are quite easy to spot on the map as well...they're the big names in BOLD. =) The one labeled ASIA. ROFL!!!
 sashimiboy
Msg: 98
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/13/2010 1:05:01 AM

Do you think filipinos/as are Asians AND pacific islanders? Or just PI?

Filipinos are Asian.

If you're country is NOT in Polynesia, Melanesia or Micronesia, you are not a Pacific Islander. I'm Samoan.
 deltadallas
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 1/14/2010 11:51:01 AM
thank you for the history listen, but i will have to do my own checking on the samoan/pacific island. since you mention it, The Rock (former wrestler) he does not have slanted eyes ( his mom samoan). i think too much is being made of this . my niece has same complexion, hair color/texture and eye shape as you Samishboy. the only thing that matters is the person cute or ugly. since i know my niece is cute or beautiful. that is the end of the story.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Who are Asians?.