Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He brought his Fanny with him...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 retrospeck
Msg: 376
He brought his Fanny with him...Page 16 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
online-love, google is your friend
 Michaelann
Msg: 377
He brought his Fanny with him...
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:41:10 PM
OMG...sweats outside of the house? Immediate cause for concern. As Seinfeld said "it's like you have given up".
I would not be compatible with anyone who thought it was fine to go out in public (other than to work out) in sweats. Ever. - caffeineaddict2009

I wouldn't be caught dead (or alive) in sweats either, caffeineaddict2009. But I don't/can't wear a purse, so I have a fanny pack. Some things simply
refuse to fit in my pockets & I also have a shoulder problem, which makes wearing a backpack difficulty & uncomfortable.
 rockondon
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2009 10:37:53 PM

I asked him whether he had a special permit to carry one of those after 1993. Surely they've been outlawed.
BWAHAHAHAHA....please marry me, you're awesome!
 sunseeker09
Msg: 379
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:07:50 AM
Body:
Now that's funny about the fanny pak. A guy actually showed up for a date and he was wearing sweats and a fanny pak? The only place I wear sweats is maybe traveling cause you got to sit so long( that is if I'm by myself ,than probably only around the house).
And I get the impression that you've seen some of Seinfeld comedy caffeineaddict2009 or you like Seinfeld, I could watch repeats of Seinfeld everyday!
 medchick911
Msg: 380
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:18:56 AM
that is pretty damn funny. though, i would never use that to think twice about a guy, that's for sure. my friends from brazil, males and females all wear fanny packs in north america.
but to be honest, if the guy had an indian accent, that would be such a deal breaker for me.
 Loveleeblondiegirlie
Msg: 381
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:42:13 AM
lol oh lordee how awful for you all that phone rapport and messaging to meet and find out he wears a bum bag......i mean couldnt he have shared his dirty little secret before you met?lol i agree with you OP no way could I date someone wearing a bum bag no matter how hot they were, now a man bag like David Beckham esk well thats totally fine
 Esperanza
Msg: 382
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:49:29 AM
Did you really get to know him or were you more concerned about the embarrassement of the fanny pack? Did others snicker about his fanny pack, probably not.
 evrybdy
Msg: 383
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:59:29 AM
Actually the fanny pack would make me want to date him more! But then, I like people who don't care what other people think. I miss people who are interesting and not doing what "trends" say to do.

M
 OnTheM0ve
Msg: 384
Posted: 7/14/2009 12:43:44 PM

Okay, here's a funny one. Met a guy online. Beautiful in his pictures even if slightly balding (okay a bit more than slightly but who cares). We exchanged a few emails, moved to a phone call or two and then of course the first date. I was so excited. I don't make it to many first date (due to the weeding out process). I wanted to look my best. Eyebrows arched, hair combed, deodorant. I went to meet him and he shows up wearing.... a fanny pack. Now, I'm not as shallow as I'm going to be called but come one. A fanny pack? We went to an extremely trendy restuarant. Me with an embarrassed smile. Him with a pack named Fanny on the front of his belt. I'm not one to beat around the bush so I broached the subject. I asked him whether he had a special permit to carry one of those after 1993. Surely they've been outlawed. He didn't find the humor in my comment or the subsequent comments that I made all night. He then admitted that his bag was a bit beat up and asked would I like to help him find a new fanny pack. Maybe this coming Friday. Make it a second date. He didn't understand that the problem wasn't with this particular bag but Fanny packs worldwide.

I know it seems shallow, superficial, maybe a bit mean but, is it not alright to look for someone who takes the same pride in their appearance. I mean would you date someone with a Captain Hook mustache and Fourth of July pants?

In the end we agreed that we wouldn't be a great match despite the awesome rapport over the phone. He said that he couldn't change who he was. And then hoped I would see the light by asking me how I would feel if he wanted me to remove my "blackness". Somehow the two didn't balance out in my eyes.

Was I too shallow? Has anyone else met up with someone who had some sort of oddity that seemed small but was a total dealbreaker?

He showed up...wearing...a fanny...pack...
He showed up...wearing...a fanny...pack...

NO! you were not too shallow. WHO in the world wears a FANNY PACK to a trendy restaurant? or anywhere?!? there's a time and a place for everything. I think he was a racist prick for making the statement about removing your "blackness". Does a fanny pack represent whiteness? evidently so to this clown.... "small oddities" like that normally mean there are bigger oddities to be seen later. i.e. no sense of fashion or style (can't dress..etc) I have stories for days about this from others...
 caffeineaddict2009
Msg: 385
Posted: 7/14/2009 2:36:58 PM
ok...I can concede that maybe a fanny pack might be necessary in some cases....but there are times when they just look awful....and inappropriate....and 'off'.
I guess it depends...maybe some can pull it off.
 EMatthew
Msg: 386
Posted: 7/15/2009 5:22:13 PM
When I saw the subject, I thought some guy brought his butt with him, ha ha. Ah well, gotta go back to ironing out my R.E.O. Speedwagon shirt...
 tbuddha
Msg: 387
Posted: 8/4/2009 1:37:53 PM
It's a little wimpy looking to wear a fanny pack, but I wouldn't stop dating someone over it.
 Blakkardaberry
Msg: 388
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 1:41:12 PM
if you gotta ask the question ROFL
of all the reasons to rule a person out this seems the most shallow of all.

I hope you remember this when your older and can appreciate the humor in it or lack of it in my case.
 JulieC29
Msg: 389
Posted: 8/4/2009 1:48:17 PM
When I was in high school, guys would call them p***s puches just to embarrass other guys into not wearing them anymore.

Yeah, I'm not big on them, especially on men. I wouldn't like it, but I don't know if I could bring myself to criticize someone like that to their face. I'm sure someone could find fault with me, too.
 Shaitan
Msg: 390
Posted: 8/4/2009 2:03:29 PM
Fanny Packs are da Bomb man!! Mine is pink wiff sparklies alll over it...Pffft...

^T^
 Perigee123
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 6:54:56 PM
No - I don't own one.

But I do have a question.

Modern life has started to pile on the gizmos and gadgets that people use to get through the hours away from home. Men started out with wallets and keys; now we have cell phones (which you should keep away from the cards), an extra battery for the cellphone (yeah-laugh: those Instincts eat battery charge like a fat man eats cake), some headphones for the MP3 player - and, if your phone can't hack it, a separate MP3 player - sunglasses, regular glasses, and, depending on the situ, I might want to drag along a paperback or the PSP to while away some time.

Obviously, fanny packs are out...

So - where do we go from here?

We could go with an Indiana Jones style murse, but I'm not sure that doesn't have an inherent dork factor of its own.

I'm lying - of course it does.

I'm pretty sure utility belts are out of the question, and a jacket in August won't hack it. Juggling is creative, but difficult over the long term, and carrying a plastic bag from Wal-mart full of junk is likely to set off the fashion police. So - since the arbiters of fashion are here in force, clue me in: what Can I carry all my crap in, or do I have to hire a caddy to be acceptably unencumbered?
 NightsSky
Msg: 392
Posted: 8/4/2009 7:20:39 PM
True colors shining thru.

Don't be afraid to let them show..

Maybe you are being a bit superficial.

He was a bit geeky. Not perfect.

You made a choice. So forget about him or call.

No sense over analyzing the past.
 Touchdown Bundy
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 9:58:48 PM
I just imagine that the guy had an insulin pump or heart monitor, and thought it would be better to hide it in a fanny pack than clip it to his belt.

Superficial? Yeah.

But, that's ok. Some people wouldn't date you because of your race, I'm sure you'd be just as understanding of their preference as well.
 FlameNFire
Msg: 394
Posted: 8/4/2009 10:09:07 PM
I have said soooo many times, a picture will never convey what a person is like...in person! Pictures don't show mannerisms and personality and oddities. Maybe it sounds shallow to some by the way it has been described, but I certainly understand what you mean that in photos he appeared to look one way and in person he was a bit "different". Sadly, that is just the risk you take when you meet someone online, and then later meet them in person. Sometimes the in-flesh version isn't what you hoped it would be.
 applesn2pie
Msg: 395
Posted: 8/5/2009 8:28:22 AM
I see exactly why you have been "AbandonedByCupid" Cupid stopped wasting his time on you. He realized a while back you could never be pleased.
Boy oh boy are you going to regret this when the fanny pack comes back in style. I know what happend..... You got off corse and started swimming in the deep end of the pond....... NOW GET BACK IN THE SHALLOW END WHERE YOU BELONG.
 cw35
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 9:38:20 AM
I agree with you Flame. The guy with the fanny pack probably thought she was really nice from her emails then found out what a complete as*hole she was in person. It happens all the time in the online dating world but you just have to keep looking.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 397
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:08:59 AM
He must not have been rocking it the right way. I remember when I was a skater kid in the late 80s and fanny packs were all the rage. But only a LOSER would where them with the pouch centered over your groin. You had to have it slightly off center to one side.

But if I was hoping to hook up with a beautiful black woman in the 2000's, I probably wouldn't be wearing a fanny pack at all.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 398
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:33:49 AM
You guys are freaking hilarious.
Talking about someone being shallow because they were freaked at a fanny pack.
The fish pond is FULL of PREFERENCES that people perceive as being SHALLOW.
Everytime someone posts something about someone being too tall, too short, too
fat, too thin, too old, too young, the old shallow vs preference debate ensues.

So apparently when someone shows up too fat or too old and we don't like them...we
are entitled to our preferences.
When someone shows up with a fanny pack and obviously is living a different
lifestyle than yourself and you don't like them, you're being shallow.
Where do we draw the line in what is acceptable to accept as shallow or a preference?

Oh I get it...we come to the POF PHD PP club to get the definition.

Jaysus Kerist.

Consigliori
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 11:45:33 AM

So - since the arbiters of fashion are here in force, clue me in: what Can I carry all my crap in, or do I have to hire a caddy to be acceptably unencumbered?

Caddys are for the wimpy polo-shirt and golf visor types. Rugged men use sherpas. Pack animals are an acceptable substitute. In a pinch you can sling your saddle bag and blanket roll over your shoulder. Whatever you do, don't try to fit it all into your pockets - that leads to unsightly bulges.
 Bablynbrook
Msg: 400
Posted: 8/5/2009 12:27:33 PM
I have to agree with the OP. If someone I went on a date with were wearing a fanny pack I would be embarrassed. Call me shallow if you want to, but I take the time to make sure that I have appropriate attire for my date. If we were going to a fancy trendy restaurant I would be embarrassed. How much stuff does he need to carry around that would necessitate an entire fanny pack?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He brought his Fanny with him...