Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He brought his Fanny with him...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Race25
Msg: 26
view profile
History
He brought his Fanny with him...Page 2 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
A fanny pack is a utility item, not an item of clothing. I use one when I go out jogging, which poses the question why aren't exercise clothes made with pockets for keys and ID's???????
 James_in_SD
Msg: 27
He brought his Fanny with him...
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:06:10 AM
I guess that's why they're Fourth of July pants; no one wants to wear 'em more than once a year.
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:06:59 AM
Nightwing... You're really funny. I was just being a butthead with the race thing. More of a joke than anything. Gotta know my humor.
 Beholder123
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:11:05 AM
Hey James SD
What exactly are "Fourth of July pants"?

Remember MC Hammer? or the 80's "weight lifting " pants?...yeah..kinda like that.
 Nightwing66
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:12:58 AM
No worries, ABC................I figured you were just giving me a little grief.

(Dang...now I've got Little Michael singing the alphabet in my head!)
 Baba_Ganoosh
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:13:23 AM
Maybe he had the the Kangaroo Dating Fever...thanks for the crack-up!

/Baba/
 german chick 1968
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:16:48 AM
I dont know this is almost stupit ....
You guys got along on line, on the phone and other then that you guys had fun ....
why not enjoy the time and be happy instead worrying about that fannypack ???
people are people , we all like different things . so you are dictating the man already . you dont like it so its a deal breaker ....
schallow, childish what ever you want to call it .
I hope you never get dumped for the wrong purse or wrong color shirt or blouse.... or because you tied your shoe laces the wrong way .
maby you should put it in your profile what you expect of the man in the way they dress or what they carry along .......
good luck
 toomuch13
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:17:45 AM
Maybe it's just me, but this post reminds me of the other poster who had a date who urinated in the parking lot. This could be the question: Which would you rather have? A date with an out of date article of apparel or a date who urinates in public? Wouldn't that be a funny profile question?
 James_in_SD
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:21:59 AM
This isn't the Profile Review thread, but to avoid further confusion, you may want to put "No Fannypacks" in your profile. Maybe even as your headline:

abandonedbycupid: NO FANNYPACKS!
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:30:18 AM
Hey Hey Hey. Why must ya'll be so testy. So I didn't like his fanny pack. I wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he is not as ticked off about it as you all are. I shouldn't have to say no Fannies allowed. That should be implied.
 Solarpanel
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:32:57 AM
Mmm.

I often take a camping sized backpack full of emergency supplies, first aid kit, sewing kit and laptop with me.

And of course the keys to the shackle lock for my bicycle and I pop out to pump the tyres up half way through the meal.

Then I ask them if they want to touch my cycling helmet and that's the last I see of them.

OP I think your pickiness is just an example of someone who doesn't actually want a relationship and the fact you ribbed him about it was just a bit rude.

I wonder if you enjoyed humiliating him?

Still, to each their own. You may have done him a favour - no fanny pack for him on his next date. So we all serve a worthwhile purpose in the dating world, eh? You are a trainer of men.
 ab initio
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:34:27 AM
Maybe he isn't good around women cause he's gay - ya know, a fannypacker....

Oh and BTW abandonedbycupid, wow, quite the fine woman yet so far away. I would love to fly down and meet you, but where on earth would I store my wallet, passport, car keys, phone. Oh wait, i'll just put it in my, er, in my....ah dammit

Serious, I completly think you're in the right here
 James_in_SD
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:49:47 AM

I mean would you date someone with a Captain Hook mustache and Fourth of July pants?

Absolutely not.
 brazenangel
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:09:27 AM
Then I am shallow too. Remember angel flight pants and member only jackets? I love a blast to the past as much as the next person, but usually not on a date.
A deal breaker for me.... I was out with a very nice guy on a first date. After dinner he took the cloth napkin from his lap (yes we were in a fancy restaurant) blew his nose at the table in it and then set it in his plate. Totally grossed me out. That was all I could focus on when I looked at him.
 asheel_heel
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:12:57 AM
OP-

I do think you should make some mention of this criterium in your profile. Not the specific "No archaic accessories" limiter but your general preferece for someone that dresses fashionably.
 forumgenie
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:37:08 AM
From my POV, I don't think you were shallow to end it due to the fanny pack, which, btw, I haven't seen since Reagan was in the White House. Its a matter of taste, style, and preference, and he clearly didn't match your style.

However, I think it was extremely rude to make a comment about it to him. You shouldn't have said a thing about it as I am sure you embarrassed him by calling him on his fashion faux pas. I've been on dates with guys who looked like they stepped out of a Sears Catalog circa 1989 but I would not break social etiquette by making a rude comment and then having the audacity to continue making snide comments for the rest of the date. Next time someone doesn't dress to your liking, just end it due to "lack of chemistry".
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:39:28 AM
One of my best friends wears a fanny pack. Does it effect me? No. So I carry a Guess purse and she, a beat up fanny pack. It doesn't change the way I feel about her or the fun we have together.

I'm sure he could have done away with the fanny pack if you two started dating. Maybe you could have carried his fanny pack things in your purse. Oh, but you don't carry one. Perfect, he could have put your keys and cell in his fanny pack! LOL.

Would you rather him have a mullet?
 Iorca
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:48:11 AM
For the purposes of British readers could someone explain this 'fanny pack' you speak of?
 gentlemanjack1
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/25/2008 12:00:44 PM
And she wonders why she's been "AbandonedbyCupid"!
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/25/2008 12:10:07 PM
Ms. WCMS. I will admit when I'm wrong. Not one to often hurt anyone's feelings, I can see how my comments may have come across as somewhat rude. I will say this. I like to joke more than most. It's rare that you won't find a smile on my face. I don't think his feelings were hurt (speculation, I know). Judging by the fact that he asked me out on a second date and called me a few times after, he wasn't too offended.

Don't picture some callous clown having fun at someone else's expense. I assure you, that wasn't the scene. There was much joking going on throughout the night. We could definitely have been friends if that had been the expectation leading into the date. We had a good time. All in all, though, he isn't the man for me.... and yes that is in part due to the presence of his fanny pack.

Oh yeah. I will say that I have different standards set for friends as opposed to those I choose to take on as a partner. A friend with a fanny pack - forgivable and cute eccentricity. Boyfriend with a fanny pack - scary.
 Beholder123
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/25/2008 12:59:21 PM
PURSE...for sure!
 gentlemanjack1
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/25/2008 1:01:55 PM

Oh yeah. I will say that I have different standards set for friends as opposed to those I choose to take on as a partner. A friend with a fanny pack - forgivable and cute eccentricity. Boyfriend with a fanny pack - scary.

Well, chances are....a smart move on HIS part would have to have kept that part of him secret from you until you got married.

OR, even better, say if he didn't do the Fanny pack thing until he discovered it was a cool idea a few years into your marriage.

He comes home from the fleamarket one day saying, "Look at what I bought honey", and points to his fanny pack.

You: "Sorry, I'm going to have to file for divorce, I cannot be married to a man that wears a fanny pack".

Typically, I guess when men get comfortable in a relationship, they feel they can get away with doing "dorky" things. I'm sure we have mates or sig others that have done dorky things in life...but yo ugrew attached to them already..and well, it'd just be plain silly to break up over such athing.

This is a demonstration on how such a superficial and shallow society we have become these days...this post is a classic demonstration.

Next time someone starts a post of "Why are we still single", we can go back and evaluat this thread....and this is a classic example of WHY some people are Chronically single.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past a woman or man to dump someone or FILE for divorce because of such petty things....Considering the divorce rate has skyrocketed. So it wouldn't suprise me.
 cat_woman31
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/25/2008 1:05:40 PM
OMG, OP your writing style is quite hysterical. Thanks for the laugh!

Now, my opinion... since you asked. I totally hear you on the fanny packs: tres lame imo. I, however, thought it was a bit mean that you say you brought it up and he didn't think it was funny... ok, no biggie, but you should have let it go. You proceeded to make "subsequent comments.... all night"? Seems a bit harsh.

Now, you asked if you were too shallow. Well, I dunno. You see, the way I look at it, these things don't just point to, in this example, the fanny pack. That points to his overall sense of style. If that is important to you and he's going to go walking around with that thing *shiver* and you'll be embarrassed by it, yah, it's an issue.

I read people. I don't just take a comment for what it is, comments speak a lot as to what the person is... what they believe, what they stand for. An example for me is if I hear someone say a derogatory statement about gay people... even in jest, it puts my guard up. Often people may jest about something and it turns out to be what they really believe. Red f*ing flag. So I say all of this to explain that 'a fanny pack isn't always just a fanny pack'. It could speak of other style issues that may be a big deal to you. I hear you on that and I get that. If that's what it means to you, then no, that isn't shallow. If it's literally the fanny pack, then perhaps.

Okay, and a fanny pack on a date? DEAR GOD NO!!!
 BadBoyPassion
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/25/2008 1:21:17 PM
I think that it wasn't that he had a 'fanny pack' (or bum bag as us UK guys call ours - I have several, they make me look tres cool)...it's the fact that he took himself far too seriously and had no sense of humour about the issue that put you off.

Taking yourself too seriously is not attractive.

I would wager that if he had joined in the whole banter and poked fun back at you in return, that you would have rationalised it as a cute 'quirk' that added to his character, rather than being something that put you off.

I don't blame you one bit.
 fallenangel0426
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/25/2008 1:23:39 PM
ok...I dated a guy in the 90's with a fanny pack. My family made fun of me then. Hell. They still make fun of me for it. When they can't remember his name they call him the "fanny pack guy".

Maybe a tad bit shallow, but you like what you like. Men in flipflops is my deal breaker. I just can't stand it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He brought his Fanny with him...