Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He brought his Fanny with him...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MaccaFan
Msg: 51
He brought his Fanny with him...Page 3 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
I'm with the OP on this one.
Fanny packs=
 piratepoet
Msg: 52
He brought his Fanny with him...
Posted: 7/25/2008 2:11:21 PM
Real men don't have Fanny Packs or Man Purses. Seems like some kind of security blanket to me, meaning larger issues!
 SpanishSugarrrr
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:01:31 PM
girl u did the RIGHT THING! its like showing up in dirty wrinkled clothes, or smelling funny---turn off!

you're not being shallow!! being stuck in another fashion decade is a sign of someone who has stopped growing...we change styles as we grow
 fancynanci
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:24:19 PM
Reminds me of my girlfriend's story about a guy showing up for a date in turquoise sweatpants.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:30:28 PM
Fanny pack???

Yes, that is shallow, but I wouldn't have liked it.

I wouldn't date a guy who drives a PT Cruiser.

There is no comparison between a fanny pack and being black. Geez.
 Seekingsomethingdifferent
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:40:02 PM
I am with the OP on this one.

Whatever was he thinking, especially if he knew you were going out in public.

it is strange what deal breakers come up that we didn't know where deal breakers until they actually happen.

And err, I used to drive a PT Cruiser, I loved it.

Then again, it may have been a deal breaker for some of my dates lol
 JohnSeven
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:49:10 PM
shallow or no, id have issues with a fanny pack wearer, lol. Being in gyms all my life I rememember the fanny pack phase as well as the big neon shirts and clown pants. Big roided up bodybuilders used to wear those pants because after a point they can NOT wear anything off the rack. But then of course all of the scrawny guys started wearing them too.

I never understood the fanny packs just like i never quite understand the thing with wearing a backpack around all day. Why cant I understand it?? because I cant think of anything I need to tote around with me all day.

All of you calling her shallow...u r going to date a guy with parachute pants or in John Travoltas SNFever outfit?

BTW..whats the female equivilant of a fanny pack fax paus??

I mean, I can sometimes be as clueless as the rest...like I still think Liz Claiborne and Vanilla Fields perfumes are awesome. People are like "dayummmmm, thats olddd school" but someone forgot to tell my nose
 jacksonguitars
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/25/2008 4:11:13 PM
Ok deciding that the fanny pack was a deal breaker is not shallow. You want a person to be up to date and fashionable, but the trying to joke and making comments was rude and shallow. Frumpy dressing is a turn off for me because I dress in style and nice all the time. I have a very high regard for my appearance, but if I was on a date with someone I would not make comments or joke about how they are dressing. Their is a social stature about things and making those comments that will make you appear to be shallow. So unless you want to be perceived as shallow bite your tongue on those type off comments to your dates. Especially your first date. One other thing you might think about though is some people with fanny packs have medical conditions that require them to carry them either medication or as one girl I dated off and on through high school she had an insulin pump and wore a fanny pack for it, and my uncle to this day still ears one for his insulin pump.
 gentlemanjack1
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/25/2008 4:19:38 PM
Okay, I can meet in the middle on this one. Now that I think abou it, at a classy restaurant.....that is a bit wierd. I guess it would depend on the venue.

However, they do come in handy when you're in the outdoors say, like at the fair grounds or if you're going to be out all day? Would it seem less dorky that way?
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/25/2008 4:31:13 PM
Okay. I know the comments might not have been a great idea but I was joking. I wouldn't mind if someone were to joke with me in a similar manner. I only serve a dish that I'm willing to eat. Things such as, 'maybe we can take the left over hummus in your fanny pack.' I think that's funny. Obviously the consistency is all wrong for a leather package. Nothing hurtful.
 Fight Naked
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/25/2008 4:41:23 PM
Good One.

It is all about finding our match. But consider stepping outside of your comfort zone. Just color outside the lines, or step outside the box. It is about finding our match. I sure they is something you do that would bug him... that would bug me. Just being honest. However; look at all of the other qualities and list deal breakers and keepers... if it is a deal breaker... done... if okay, embrace it.

We are all looking for a certain look, what ever look it is.... we are looking. Not shallow at all. Just a preference. We are entitled to pick and chose as we see.
 snjbeach
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:02:42 PM
Fanny pack..........HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!! How old was this guy? I don't think a man my age (i'm 26) would even attempt to try to get away with that! A man purse I could definitely understand and handle, but a fanny pack?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Javan2
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:14:37 PM
Soft Lily: "You see; this is what sisters put us through. " But she is right in that he equated it with her blackness? Fanny packs, personally, seems like something a woman would have not a dude. She didn't like him wearing a fanny pack and strangely , I understand. But I know that this sister wouldn't like me either cause I only mostly wear shorts and T's. I'm not a slave to fashion at all. I don't understand, "Why would a man have a purse or a fanny pack? "
 chrissy0701
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:19:34 PM
can someone explain to an aussie chick...what's a fanny pack?

chrissy
 Javan2
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:25:15 PM
Chrissy; Google It !!!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:27:35 PM
Not reading through all the posts...but YES...Fanny Packs are OUT, and never should have been IN! And no...a "man purse" is not "better"...it is equivalent to a fanny pack...so they both would suck!

Also...the poster who compared it to strapping a back pack on his scoot...totally different...saddle bags are SO not fanny packs...primarily because...well, they are not worn on our fannies!

Sorry...I have never met a cool guy...who wears one. Ick.
 dawn1114
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:33:15 PM

can someone explain to an aussie chick...what's a fanny pack?

It's a pouch with straps that go around your waist. I guess people used to wear them with the pouch to the back at first (hence the fanny part of the name), but to be honest, I've only seen them worn in the front or to the side. I use one when I ride my bike to carry my phone, keys & ID. I see plenty of other bicyclists who use them, both female & male. Very practical.

I wouldn't wear one to an upscale restaurant, but obviously I don't find them quite as odd in general as do some people on this thread. Maybe it's a regional thing.
 Beholder123
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:34:09 PM
HARLEY CAT...

I have never talked to you in forums but I have read your responses to many and HOLY SH!T.....you crack me up .....
love it......
 alwaysme2
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/25/2008 6:56:44 PM

'maybe we can take the left over hummus in your fanny pack

If my date has the room I would prefer for him to take home the left- over desert! Not a bad idea really. No need for a doggie bag!

Me personally I think I would have raised an eyebrow too if some one wore a fanny pack to a nice restaurant. Jogging sure, vacation maybe, dinner...no.

I love how people assume the OP is shallow simply because she has a preference. She doesn't like fanny packs big deal.

So many hypocrites on here sometimes. Everyone has preferences and just because you don't agree with someone else doesn't mean they are shallow person. It's called preferences folks. Sure the guy could have been the greatest thing since sliced bread but if she isn't attracted..... she isn't attracted.

At least the OP is honest and says what she thinks. A lot of people always want to look like the good guy or girl when posting in the forums knowing that someone else may read it. But I don't care what anyone says...everyone has deal breakers and some aren't afraid to express them.

I read one poster's profile who called the OP shallow and she states in her profile that she believes in chemistry and attraction first but then she jumps all over the OP because she didn't find the fanny pack attractive. I wonder what that girls deal breaker is or what she may not find attractive?

Double standard I would say. That is like saying it is ok for me to have preferences but God for bid anyone else does or they may be different than mine!

Hmmmmm so just because the OP doesn't find a fanny pack attractive she is shallow?

Even the person blasting the OP obviously has preferences on what she finds attractive but I guess for some people if you don't share the SAME exact preferences or agree with them all of a sudden you are shallow and have issues.

Give me a break....

Now, it's time for me to dust off my fanny pack and stuff it with power bars and cosmo's so I can some cleaning done.

rekey08
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/25/2008 7:19:16 PM
LMAO....love it!!!

I completely agree with the OP. Shallow perhaps, but funny as hell. A fanny pack is NOT attractive. People say it's important to be attracted...soooooo....there you go. Like a preference for a certain body type or hair colour, she can't accept fashion faux paus. I don't blame her.

Today it's the fanny pack in a stylish blue...tomorrow it's the green flourescent one...what comes next...slouch socks...mullets? Slippery slope.....
 trailviews
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 4:37:44 AM
Yes, shallow. It's obvious from your first few sentences what your priorities are. The guy is probably a closet billionaire who keeps a diamond necklace in that fanny pack as a gift for the woman who accepts him as he is. Your loss is his gain.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/26/2008 4:59:59 AM
^^And you are not shallow, placing a value on the "billionaire" with the diamond necklace??

BTW..whats the female equivilant of a fanny pack fax paus??

Ummm...that would be....a....FANNY PACK! It is Ick no matter what gender uses it!

PS to Beholder123...thanks! :)
 junipermoon
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 5:17:15 AM
hey, let's cut the op a break. the woman likes what she likes.

and if she'd rather not go out in public with someone sporting a late '80s relic that never should have appeared even when in vogue, then she has every right to that decision.

i can almost see it on a trail or on a boat or a bicycle or horse, but to a restaurant? you have to draw the line somewhere.
 vixen03
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/26/2008 5:18:06 AM
I dont get it, you were attracted to him, he turns up, clean, presentable (you don'tsay that he wasn't) He doesn't tell you to shut up after the umpteenth time of mentioning his bag and suggests a second date to go shopping for a replacement. Yes you are shallow. I agree with you though that removing your blackness is not the same as a bag but maybe just maybe being with a woman of colour was a big deal for him and he had a choice of whether to contact a black woman or a white woman. Just like you choose to be with a man without a fanny bag. JMO
 rivereye
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/26/2008 5:18:35 AM
Hi Abandonedbycupid,

I agree with you. Does this guy need survival gear in a trendy restaurant? Other people's perception of what you look like to a great extent determines reality in our society. It's not your fault society in general is somewhat shallow, and a fanny pack on the first date was a poor choice.

Now if you'd gone to Denny's, I think carting along water purification tablets, a snake bite kit, a repair kit, and an inflatable raft would have been entirely acceptable.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He brought his Fanny with him...