Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating a deaf person...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pcm73
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Dating a deaf person...Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I dont think being Deaf makes you a bad parent, I know alot of friends who are deaf who are good parents to their kids. I think you would use common sense when parenting a kid...if you dont hear from your kid for a while, you simply check up on them or they come to you or whatever works between the two of you. I have seen hearing people who were TERRIBLE parents to their children, so the inability to "hear" does not disqualify you as a bad parent automatically.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 77
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 11/12/2009 1:30:41 AM
I'd date a deaf person. Deaf men would probably make better 'listeners' than hearing-abled men, and therefore better communicators.

And I'm interested in sign language.
 MissaInVA
Msg: 78
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 11/12/2009 9:11:24 AM
I speak sign language, and my last significant other was Deaf - as in culturally/dependent on ASL/next to no residual hearing at all - DEAF. I hate to say it, but at this time in my life, I wouldn't consider dating another Deaf person. There is a huge difference between the Deaf culture and the hearing world. Most of the fights we had - especially early on - were cultural misunderstandings. He had this complete belief that all things Deaf were vastly superior to anything hearing. He didn't like it when I would talk on the phone because he had no way of knowing who I was talking to. He didn't like it when I would listen to music. If I had my Ipod in my ears, he'd grab it and start screwing with the controls. To talk to him, I had to stop pretty much every other thing I was doing and look at him. Everything we did had to revolve around the fact that he was deaf. We could only go to the movies if there was a special captioned showing or it had subtitles. When the stage production of Phantom of the Opera came through DC I really wanted to go see it. I ended up not going to see it because he didn't want to see it because - why would he? He tried to stop me from going to see AC/DC, but I put my foot down on that one and went anyway. He had what was basically a temper tantrum. He would accuse me of being ashamed to take him around my hearing friends (I only have one hearing friend who signs). But, anytime I tried to bring him around my hearing friends he would behave like an ass. Being with him meant that I was *on* as an interpreter 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Sometimes I felt more like his personal interpreter than his girlfriend.

You could say that all those problems were just that individual and him being selfish, but when I very first started dating him a female deaf friend of mine warned me - that for that relationship to work long term that I would have to be willing to turn my back on the hearing world. In the end I wasn't willing to do that.
 Thaddal
Msg: 79
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 11/12/2009 9:19:12 AM
Consider yourself lucky....you get to weed out the rotten eggs from the start....most guys dont realize their dating a conditional girl until she has left tire marks all over him....the right one will be placed in your life...when you just sit back and relax...wait and see...
 ToughLuv1984
Msg: 80
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 11/12/2009 9:24:25 AM
OP, I was talking with one guy who was deaf a while ago and though we initially hit it off it ended not because he was deaf but because he made the same sorta mistakes hearing guys make by trying to not text for days then think its ok to just text again... or being too flirty too soon, etc.

It might not be your disability... it might be some other incompatibility. Ever thought of that?
 dove2009
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:35:30 PM
hello

hi my name is polly and i am DEAF divorced and singlemom of two kids live with me full time and i read your pofile and it seem nice to about this ,, where are u come from ? we live in vermont ... i have been looking for logn realtionship to find deaf but hard to find lol so well hope that u would chat wiht me and let me know i am so frustted to find deaf date but i didnt get chance for that well thanks for listen and hope to hear from u soon take care anyone want to chat or email to me pls rely back to me
 LikesNature
Msg: 82
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:49:53 PM
Dated a deaf girl for two years.......absolutely no problems. Her mother was the problem!
 deadears
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 5/1/2010 3:37:13 AM
You are absolutely correct about the deaf voice and hearing voice, was married to a hearing 35 years and she passed. Yes it very hard to find one that really see who you really are, those that turn you down is like those seeing greener grass on the other side of fence not knowing what there.

Jerry
 onthelines
Msg: 84
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 5/1/2010 8:56:54 PM
I am also familar with the Deaf community here where I am, I am hearing and sign ASL fluently, my ex boyfriend is Deaf and is an ASL user, he grew up oral (reads lips well speech is ok, takes time to learn his "accent")

Because of the language barrier I think its important to develop the foundation of a relationship first through a friendship, this could be where the teaching of sign language happens and the big part of getting to know each other. You might find women who only date you to learn ASL or because of the pity factor. you seem like a smart guy and would know if this was happening. I think you are in the same boat as the rest of the guys here. But of course because you are Deaf, somehow you have more to prove in that you are able to be just like a hearing person - talking and reading lips.

good luck...someone who is just right will come along...
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 85
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 5/2/2010 8:27:23 AM
They aren't not going for you over the ear thing... you are just self-conscious about it.

On the other hand, no pun intended: do deaf people talk dirty with their hands? I mean, is there a sign for I want to swallow your cum... is there a sign for cum? LOL... I guess I'm cruel, but still made me wonder after reading this thread...
 83GS650
Msg: 86
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 5/4/2010 9:36:45 AM
deaf people do all the same things as people that can hear. one of my best friends is a coda (child of deaf adults) and she taught me a lot about the deaf community. Her mom lives with her and I have learned a little bit of ASL but admit my children picked it up much better from spending timer with her children and mom and just learning as kids learn.

On the other hand, no pun intended: do deaf people talk dirty with their hands? I mean, is there a sign for I want to swallow your cum... is there a sign for cum? LOL... I guess I'm cruel, but still made me wonder after reading this thread...

One thing she told me was that her mom uses a free service to call her through her computer that has someone read whatever she types to her over the phone then type her responses back. She said the translators are extremely professional and with translate anything said. I guess her mom told her stories of her friends having sexual conversations through the proxy service and the translater never missed a word or questioned it. So not only do they talk dirty with their hands they talk dirty over the phone too. Of course now it it was a deaf person calling a deaf person they would just text over the computer directly anyways, that is for a deaf person to a hearing person.

Another thing my friend said is the deaf community can be very to the point and this frankness is often seen as rude by people that do not understand. A lot of the subtle words are skipped and things are shortened to go right to the point. I can see this in my friend having grown up with two deaf parents, she learned to speak from her older sister and I am not sure how / when her older sister learned to speak. However they obviously learned to sign first and learned to be very abrubt and to the point like their parents.

Perhaps this is just one persons perspective...

Oh and to the original point, don't worry so much the type of people not willing to accept you are not worth your time anyways.
 CookieLady66
Msg: 87
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 5/4/2010 11:10:53 AM
Too bad you're too young & too far away for me...

My Aunt & Uncle are both deaf (with 3 hearing daughters), so I'm not uncomfortable around people who cannot hear...I can even manage the alphabet and about 10 words in sign. Considering how much I talk to myself and babble on meaninglessly, a deaf mate would probably be my best bet!

Your charm & attraction cannot be measured by sound, sight, touch or taste, but by your heart...follow that & good luck!
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 5/4/2010 11:43:34 AM
Dude, the answer to this is simple and it has nothing to do with you being deaf. In case you haven't figured it out yet, the most important thing a woman wants in a relationship is communication. This is the reason women do not move mountains to get to deaf men. For them, communication is needed in a clear, concise way to feel they are actually in a relationship.

As far as deaf women getting hearing guys goes, clue, the guy are NOT interested in communication, eh?
 rivrat34
Msg: 89
Dating a deaf person...
Posted: 8/2/2011 12:34:10 AM
Wow, this whole time I never knew there was forums about deaf men dating hearing women..

From my experinces, I am deaf myself, wasnt born that way. Although I havent been soicalizing deaf people in years until recently dated a deaf woman. It didnt work out because of me growing in (what they usually call it, "Hearing world"), so the jokes, sense of humor, and smartass remarks offened them hard than it would with hearing women. But at same time dating hearing women, they feel too much work for them when they dont know ASL or if they know little signs. It is kind of true, but just the impatenice ones arent worth your time. I say your better off start as friends, let her have all the time she need to get into comfort zone. So I have made a few pretty cool friends with some single womens from here, some already deiced to hurry up and date someone sooner than later which there has been better "easier" communication for her, which is no big deal to me. Sometimes women like to see if the guy is willing work hard trying to steal her back and use that guy as for rebounding. Its all the game, some women like feel wanted, and showing that your willing do anything. Then she will proabaly give in and work things out. Although I do sometimes can tell she doesnt want it, so i just step back and countiue getting know other women. Im 35 almost, and still single, never had LTR since 1999. Just have to say be patenice, let them have all the time they ask for. I even have dated some who already knew sign, yes its my fault for getting attached too soon. And it seemed to scare them away, anyhow now I know I have to let the timing do itself.

I do read lips very well, and speak fairly okay sometimes i say word clearly, sometimes not. It just takes them alot of time to adjust..

And as for hearing men dating deaf women, of course men are easy to get than women, so obviously men tend to accept the woman less than what their standards is, most men are lazy with communciation, so thats why its easier for deaf women, they dont talk too much like hearing women do. And yeah men have corny jokes that easily crack deaf women up than hearing women who has higher standard.

its just my 2 cent!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating a deaf person...