Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Water Fasting--who has done it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HO2
Msg: 276
Water Fasting--who has done it? Page 12 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Sketchness wrote back on 4/6/2009

I also posed a very interesting question to the University experts.
What happens to the Human body after a 24, 48, 96 hour fast?
With adequate water of course.
Specifically liver and kidney function.
Muscle catabolization, Blood Glucose level, and anything else I should know
but am missing?
Will post the results.

So what do have for us after a month of evaluation by University Experts ?
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 277
Water Fasting--who has done it?
Posted: 9/17/2011 12:00:47 PM
I'm on day three of a water fast. So far so good. The first day was the toughest with the hunger pains. I've done a juice fast before and maybe my head wasn't in the right place ( I did this last year), but it felt like torture.

My energy is great. I'm playing a baseball tournament today and no issues yet. Felt a little light headed getting up this afternoon, but that went away.

I'm really surprised by how well it is going. My goal is 10 days. I may even go longer, but 10 is a good goal for me. I'm willing to use juices at some point if I feel my body needs it.
 Playing with Madness
Msg: 278
Posted: 9/17/2011 2:55:52 PM
Apparently the OP is lying to us. Anyone who does this must be suffering from Hydrocephalic (see definition below). And if OP is Water Fasting then there would be no fluid in their system. Adversely, to be suffering from such delusion you need an abundance or fluid in your system, especially in one area, which just happens to make all decisions.

usually congenital condition in which an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the cerebral ventricles causes enlargement of the skull and compression of the brain, destroying much of the neural tissue.

All I have to say is Crazy Train, next stop Emergency room.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 279
Posted: 9/22/2011 5:10:27 AM
I did a water fast 2 days around the age of 13 and passed out. Emergency room.
Everything went black, head spinning then my knees shook and buckled. Bam!! Hit the floor.

Have at it.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 280
Posted: 9/22/2011 11:54:24 AM
^^^ I don't think kids should fast personally.

An update:

I'm on day 8 now and have lost 21 pounds, lol. I've gone from 251 to 230 and have lots of energy. I can't stress how good I feel, but I feel awesome. I had lots of aches and pains with my body, my back and neck was constantly killing me - now, zilch. It's amazing how food we consume, both apparently good and bad can screw up your body.

People who know I'm fasting can't believe how good I look and how rapidly the pounds are coming off. Someone commented that it looks like I'm "glowing" - which I'll assume is good, lol. They also add that they don't think they could do the same thing. I tell them it just takes a little discipline and to look at it is not depriving yourself but abstinence.

There were two days, day 5 and day 7 where I had to juice because I hit a wall energy wise. I had watermelon juice and carrot juice. I only had one serving of each. Everything else has been water only.

The worst sensations were the first couple of days. Day one more than anything. The hunger pains and what not. I made up my mind that I was not giving up and these sensations were going to pass. I had some light headedness a couple of different days but it was only a couple of times when I stood up. My lips got all chapped as the toxins were coming out of my body.

Like I said, I have lots of energy. I find if I am deprived sleep it doesn't affect me. I played baseball on the weekend and have done my martial art twice during the fast. Wasn't lethargic in the least.

I am looking forward to breaking my fast at a pot luck I'm going to, but unfortunately I'll only be able to eat veggies and fruits for a couple of days as my body gets used to digesting food again. After that, I'm going to have me some home made macaroni and cheese, shake and bake chicken and a Caesar salad!
 oralservice
Msg: 281
Posted: 9/22/2011 12:05:56 PM
the goal is not really (or SHOULD NOT be)to LOSE weight FAST e.g., ( in a few weeks, or months)

pretty well anyone can do that..many do, then regain it all again

it is to lose it AND KEEP IT OFF, a year from now, 2 years from now, 10 years from now

THAT is the challenge.. what's the point of reaching your 'ideal weight' FAST.. being there for a week or 2 , then regaining all that weight (fat) and MORE, back over the next several months.. so you will be fat again a year a from now?

The odds are about 99 to 1 that you will be back up over 250 a year from now, and MORE Of it (higher %) will be FAT.. because you are losing as much MUSCLE, as fat, trying to drop weight FAST..

almost certainly a year from now you will be 250 again and fatter than ever..very little muscle, with a bigger gut

SLOW, steady & permanent is the way to go.

what's the rush?
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 282
Posted: 9/22/2011 2:45:27 PM

^^^ I don't think kids should fast personally.

It's not like a 13 year old brain comprehended that..MY POINT.
We didn't ask for our mothers permission.

We did a lot of stupid things to look good and did not consider health or long term effects..We wanted 5 pounds off fast for the beach weekend.
It always came back.

I can't imagine an adult fasting either unless they are on some spiritual thing or have strict orders from a professional DOCTOR to do so for a medical reason..

the goal is not really (or SHOULD NOT be)to LOSE weight FAST e.g., ( in a few weeks, or months)

pretty well anyone can do that..many do, then regain it all again

it is to lose it AND KEEP IT OFF, a year from now, 2 years from now, 10 years from now

^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Bnong
Msg: 283
Posted: 9/22/2011 4:40:27 PM

An update:

I'm on day 8 now and have lost 21 pounds, lol.

Yeah lol... Losing weight too fast is bad for you. First of all dropping weight like that you are losing a lot of muscle which screws up your ability to burn calories, and to regulate your blood sugar. Secondly when you stop this fast, you are going to replace that muscle you lost with fat. Your posts are most lulzy.
 oralservice
Msg: 284
Posted: 9/22/2011 4:45:41 PM

I'm on day 8 now and have lost 21 pounds,

do you REALLY think most of that is fat??

there are 3, 500 cals. per pound of fat (some say 4,000 but I'll stick with the older more conservative number) .

therefore you think you have "burned off" 21 x 3,500 or 73,500 calories in 8 days?

or roughly 9,000 calories per day?? not a chance.. basal metabolism + some activity for a guy your age & size likely about 3,000 per day (if that).. = 24,000 cals, = about 7 pounds of fat (maybe!) at the MOST

the rest was muscle & water..
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 285
Posted: 9/22/2011 7:02:58 PM

Yeah lol... Losing weight too fast is bad for you. First of all dropping weight like that you are losing a lot of muscle which screws up your ability to burn calories, and to regulate your blood sugar. Secondly when you stop this fast, you are going to replace that muscle you lost with fat. Your posts are most lulzy.

You body feeds of diseased cells first, not muscle. If I have a different diet when I resume eating and continue to exercise, how am I going to be gaining fat again? Right.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2011 7:11:49 PM
^^You're aware of the fact that fasting deprives your body of food and your brain cells start consuming themselves to keep energy levels up?

# Starvation induces hypothalamic autophagy
# Autophagy in AgRP neurons regulates food intake and energy balance
# Starvation-induced hypothalamic autophagy mobilizes lipid droplets
# Autophagy-derived free fatty acids increase hypothalamic AgRP levels

Cited here:

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131%2811%2900257-9

In cell biology, autophagy, or autophagocytosis, is a catabolic process involving the degradation of a cell's own components through the lysosomal machinery. It is a tightly-regulated process that plays a normal part in cell growth, development, and homeostasis, helping to maintain a balance between the synthesis, degradation, and subsequent recycling of cellular products. It is a major mechanism by which a starving cell reallocates nutrients from unnecessary processes to more-essential processes.

Cited here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autophagy
 Bnong
Msg: 287
Posted: 9/22/2011 7:52:54 PM

You body feeds of diseased cells first, not muscle. If I have a different diet when I resume eating and continue to exercise, how am I going to be gaining fat again? Right.

Your posts are epic in their level of failure. Your understanding of biochemistry is both hilarious and mortifying at the same time. Bravo sir, you are very entertaining.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 288
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2011 6:37:45 AM

After that, I'm going to have me some home made macaroni and cheese, shake and bake chicken and a Caesar salad!

And already, these are unhealthy cravings brought on by hypothalamic autophagy. That process stimulates the production of fatty acids, which stimulates you to rush to eat, often unhealthily.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 289
Posted: 9/23/2011 10:10:32 AM
And already, these are unhealthy cravings brought on by hypothalamic autophagy. That process stimulates the production of fatty acids, which stimulates you to rush to eat, often unhealthily.

And?

If I was in such a rush to eat I'd be eating. I've gone out twice in the past week and sat and watched a group of people devour chicken wings, fries, nachos, etc., while I sat and drank water. And it didn't even really bother me. I was nowhere near caving on my fast.

You're confusing humor with bodily cravings. Besides, there is nothing wrong with consuming fatty foods in moderation.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 290
Posted: 9/23/2011 10:12:21 AM

Your posts are epic in their level of failure. Your understanding of biochemistry is both hilarious and mortifying at the same time. Bravo sir, you are very entertaining.

Napoleon,

When you fast your body chemistry changes.
 Bnong
Msg: 291
Posted: 9/23/2011 11:31:04 AM
Yeah? How about a source for that claim about your body feeding off of diseased cells and not muscle.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2011 11:35:59 AM

And?

You combine extreme fasting with unhealthy eating (mac 'n' cheese and shake 'n' bake chicken). That's your problem right there.

Add to that the fact that you seem to dislike your body enough to starve your internal organs and deny fuel for your brain.
 oralservice
Msg: 293
Posted: 9/23/2011 12:56:06 PM

If I was in such a rush to eat I'd be eating.

ah, it's all soo easy, right?

so how'd you get so fat to start with then?

obviously way over your daily caloric needs for quite a while, but now you're just going to go way under..and then some day go right at it?

if it was all so easy why didn't you get it right 2 years ago, or 5 or whenever you started porking out?

should the food industry just shut down, all we all need is water? :) lol - and feed off all the "diseased cells" in our bodies?

did you get all this from a late-night (3-4 a.m.) info-mercial?

still haven't revealed your "sources"..

Kevin Trudeau.. "The Water Secrets "THEY" Don't want you to know about" ? :)

"Napoleon"

yes, when you have no good argument, make fun of the other guy's height..VERY convincing..not..

if you were 6'4" & 250 you weren't really that overweight, depending on muscle, build, etc. your profile says "Athletic" but now you say you are/were "fat" ?
 martialist_goku
Msg: 294
Posted: 9/23/2011 2:37:23 PM
So let me get this corectly... youre reliberately drinking ONLY water?
Sorry but that is absolutely insane.

You MUST be a little crazy (or desperate) to try such a radical DIET, so I wont further confuse you with scientific datum to back myself up...Ill try to keep it simple.
Diets...all of them.. are garbage. They are band aid solutions, at best. If you want to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF you MUSt change your lifestyle...change WHAT you eat, HOW you eat, and WHEN you eat. And not believe myths and hogwash...especially ones like this water fasting diet.
There are other rumors that are nonsense...like... hmm sugar! Sugar, people...is NOT bad for you! hahahaha ok... blast away, but remember, before you do...be careful that i MIGHT JUST be baiting you. Obviously I KNOW the COMMON train of thought - avoid sugar- so why would I say sugar is ok? Well.. I already hinted WHY sugar is ok,... if you can decipher what I just said a minute ago.
Am I the one insane? NO! ONLY drinking water...thats insane. I drink a 5 gallon jug of water every few days, and i EAT... thats how I got those abs you see on my profile. Its one thing for people to give advice, but...really, if their advice is so good, why are THEY not in top shape? Me...well...proof is in the pudding, and I assure you, I eat 6 times a day and eat all kinds of sugar... and better yet, I recently found a system that WORKS for people looking to get fit and lose weight by BURNING FAT. As I said in another thread...you need a focal point...a beginning...a place to start your journey towards a new, healthy lifestyle...NOT a stupid crash diet that can seriously hurt you. You also need a support system - people like friends and family, who support you and help keep you encouraged. And you need to stop doing bullshit diets!
 martialist_goku
Msg: 295
Posted: 9/23/2011 2:50:16 PM
O yeah for the record... the only real stupid shit Ive heard is from those who are pro water fasting... guys like oralservice are the kinda people you NEED TO LISTEN TO. So, this thread has had quite a few gems as well as dog shit... follow the smart advice OP and others who want to do this or any 'diet' crap... cuz when its over, youll not only be back to where you were, but youll have an even higher fat percentage than when you started this madness
 totalazzhole
Msg: 296
Posted: 9/24/2011 10:33:10 AM

If I have a different diet when I resume eating and continue to exercise, how am I going to be gaining fat again? Right.

because your body is in STARVATION mode now, slowing down its metabolism, pumping out more & more hormones to desperately store FAT as much as possible, because it knows there is NO FOOD coming in..& it doesn't want you to DIE..trying to protect you from yourself & your idiotic water fasting.

for the sake of argument assume your calories used per day before were 3,000 ..and you still got fat.

now your metabolism will slow down to only use 2,500 or maybe even 2,000 for the same activity level.

so it will be even easier to get fat (fatter) than it was before!

you did not have the discipline to eat 3,000 cals. or less before, but now you think you will magically have the discipline to eat 2,000 cals. or less, for the rest of your life???

how? " Discipline" never lasts that long.

plus you will feel deprived and want more and more to gorge on your favorite foods, and you WILL , make no mistake

you've been on this "diet" for 8 or 9 days & think you're so disciplined.

what about the next 14,600 days (40 years) ?? also your metabolism will tend to slow as you age as well.
 mattwel
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2011 1:54:59 PM
Holy sh!t there's extremely bad, and almost liable advice being dished out in this thread, particularly from the OP.

As a duely qualified Personal Trainer, I strongly urge anyone considering a "water diet" based on this thread, or anything else for that matter, to go and talk to a health professional before considering such actions especially from someone with clearly little understanding of the human bodies needs and functions.

There are several safe methods of inducing what is effectively starvation mode, such as a Ketosis diet. But all of these such professionally ENDORSED diets still provide your body with nutrients and alternative energy sources your body can utilise whilst approaching starvation mode.

Drinking only water for 60 days (or even only a week) will be depriving your body of essential materials even for healthy maintenance.

Losing weight in itself is not necessarily a good thing, particularly if losing it too fast (more than around 500g a week). You will be doing unmeasurable, and more worringinly, undetectable, damage to your internal organs, most severely your cardio-vascular system and your brain... which may explain a few things! ;)

Consider; Crash diets almost never work in the long term. 2/3's of people who lose weight on a crash diet put it all of it back on the the next few months, 1/3 put more back on than when they started. If you put your body into a starvation mode, then start feeding it normally, it's going to store calories like mad - as it now expects famine to be a problem in your region and needs to prepare for another one. You will only become even more adept at storing calories - i.e. become fat! It could take your body months to properly recover, years if you have harmed your CV system, or worse.

On a final note, also consider that what works for one person doesn't mean it will automatically work for everyone else. There are circadian rythms, somatotypes, general physical size, muscle types, hormonal variations, intolerances, injuries and genetics to factor in.

Professionals in this area exist for a reason...! If you need advice, ask someone who can PROVE they know what they are talking about. Feel free to ask me. But NEVER ask an uneducated maverick.
 mattwel
Msg: 298
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2011 2:04:25 PM
"Diets...all of them.. are garbage. They are band aid solutions, at best. If you want to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF you MUSt change your lifestyle..."

Sound advice. A diet is what you eat regularly. It is not a temporary thing. It's part of your lifestyle. Preferably a healthy lifestyle!
 martialist_goku
Msg: 299
Posted: 9/24/2011 6:01:46 PM
the last two posts above...rock!

Heres a copy and paste from my FB notes:
Time and again I talk about EATING to lose weight... and making sure you get enough calories.OK so IM full of B/S, right?
Wrong! Dont take it from me, take it from THIS guy(and remember I just rehash my research for you...its not me reinventing the wheel!)

Metabolic Damage
Why It Happens, How to Avoid It and How to Fix It
By Tom Venuto, Fat Loss Expert,
Author of Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle

Somewhere in your fitness travels (or random googling), you may have come across the topic of “metabolic damage” or its close relative, “starvation mode.” Perhaps both. If so, you probably felt a twinge of fear after hearing a description like this one:

star•va•tion mode - noun (stär-ˈvā-shən mōd): a series of metabolic, hormonal and behavioral responses to extreme or prolonged calorie deprivation, which is common during many popular weight loss diets. Since your body can’t recognize the difference between severe dieting and starving, it responds as if you were really starving: Protective mechanisms are activated to decrease your rate of further weight loss, including reduced energy, lower physical activity and increased appetite. Your metabolism also slows down more than you’d predict for the amount of body weight lost.

As you self-diagnose your symptoms, you really begin to worry: low energy… hungry all the time… can’t stop thinking about food... seems like you’re not losing fast enough for how little you’re eating… weight loss has gotten slower or even reached a plateau. And when returning to normal eating, you seem to gain back the weight faster and easier than you ever gained weight before!

At this point, your heart drops into the pit of your stomach and you’re convinced that you’re a metabolic damage victim. “What If I’m in starvation mode?” you ask yourself. “What if I’ve messed up my thyroid gland?” “What if I’m stuck with this fat forever because my metabolism is SHOT?”

Okay, now that I’ve scared you half to death, you can take a deep sigh of relief. Not because there’s no truth to the problems I’ve just described, but because there are solutions.

The metabolic damage and starvation mode controversies

First, I want to confirm that both “starvation mode” and “metabolic damage” are real, although some bloggers and internet writers keep insisting they’re not. The reason for the confusion is understandable though, because these phenomena are misunderstood, and myths about them abound.

The big doozy is the (mythical) girl who (claims) she’s eating “only 300 calories a day and not losing weight.” Funny how you put her in a metabolic ward on 1000-1200 calories a day (measured and enforced) and she starts losing weight like crazy. That wasn’t starvation mode caused by a 300 calorie per day “slow metabolism.” The damaging admission you’ll never hear from our physics-defying girl is, “I suck at counting calories and I underreport how much I eat…. Oh yeah, I overestimate how many calories I burn too.” [end sarcasm]

Starvation mode and metabolic damage are also not scientific terms, which is another reason they are unduly dismissed. If you look up “adaptive thermogenesis” however, (the technical term for the metabolic decrease part of starvation mode), you’ll find plenty of evidence proving that it’s real. It affects some people more than others due to genetic and lifestyle factors and it’s not a stretch to suggest that metabolic damage hits women harder than men.

Details about the mechanisms and hormones involved are beyond the scope of this article and would put 90% of my readers to sleep anyway. What’s important for now is that you understand this: starvation dieting causes rapid weight loss, but also causes “bad stuff” to happen to your body that makes continued weight loss more difficult and weight regain more likely. It’s a very complex process, involving numerous feedback loops and body systems.

The lasting effects of starvation dieting

Research dating back to the 1980’s and 1990’s found that diet-induced decreases in metabolism can extend to the period AFTER the diet is over. This gives us yet another reason why keeping the weight off is so hard.

Diane Elliot, an MD and professor of medicine at Oregon University published her research in 1989 about the lasting effects of very low calorie diets. She wrote:

"Resting metabolic rate of our obese subjects remained depressed after massive weight loss despite increased caloric consumption to a level that allowed body weight stabilization."

In 1997, Abdul Dulloo and his colleagues at the University of Geneva completed a similar study which examined the effects of semi starvation after the calorie restriction had ended. He said:

"The reduction in thermogenesis during semistarvation persists after 12 weeks of restricted refeeding, with its size being inversely proportional to the degree of fat recovery."

In 1999, Arne Astrup published a meta analysis with data from all the studies which had investigated changes in metabolism after weight loss. They found that formerly obese subjects had a 3-5% lower resting metabolic rate than control subjects who had never been obese.

These and other studies suggest that metabolic consequences of crash dieting and rapid weight loss persist after the diet is over. The degree of metabolic drop can vary from the almost insignificant to the very serious, but the drop is real. This is “metabolic damage.” I would define it not only as the bad stuff that happens during the diet, but also as the lag time between when a severe diet ends and when your hormones, metabolic rate and appetite-regulating mechanisms get back to normal.

Pursuing weight loss the wrong way (“dumb dieting”) makes the bad stuff worse and aftereffects linger longer. Pursuing fat loss and body composition improvement the smart way minimizes the bad stuff and prevents outright metabolic damage. The Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle (BFFM) program is based – from A to Z – on doing fat loss the smart way.

7 Smart strategies for fat burning and metabolic health

Below, you’ll see 7 of the best fat burning strategies which keep your hormones happy and your metabolism burning hot.

1. Eat more! You need a caloric deficit for weight loss, but there are different ways to do it. You can eat less. You can exercise more. You can do a little bit of both. In addition, how specifically you eat less and exercise more makes all the difference. The smart way is to avoid crash diets and pursue slower but steady fat loss with an eye on body composition. Start with a conservative deficit of only 20% below your maintenance level. Use a larger deficit only if you’re seriously overweight. Increase the deficit incrementally when you need to, ideally not going above 30% under maintenance. When you add in resistance training, cardio training and an active lifestyle, your calorie expenditure (metabolism) goes way up, and that’s how you can legitimately eat more and keep getting leaner.
2. Eat natural. The long term use of refined, artificial foods will eventually take its toll on your health. When hormonal health declines, body composition outcomes are worse during weight loss and risk of metabolic damage may increase. Furthermore, most natural, unprocessed foods, especially vegetables and lean proteins, are lower in caloric density and can lead to spontaneous decreases in caloric intake compared to the standard American diet (S.A.D.) For optimal body composition results and metabolic and hormonal health, it’s not just about calorie quantity, but also calorie quality. Don’t focus on one to the neglect of the other.
3. Eat often and regularly: I recommend eating like a physique athlete. Spread your total daily calories into 4-6 small meals per day, if feasible, and be sure to include a source of lean protein with every meal. But whatever meal schedule you choose, consistency is of great importance: studies have shown that haphazard eating patterns are at least partially responsible for metabolic disarray including decreased thermic effect of feeding and dysregulation of blood sugar and insulin.
4. Use carb cycling. The Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle Method puts you in the optimal healthy calorie deficit, but periodically, you increase your calories to keep your metabolism and appetite regulating hormones up at the normal level. Instead of the carb-phobic diets that millions of people still follow (which can actually suppress hormones like thyroid and leptin), carb cycling with a high carb refeed every 4th day or so, allows you to eat more carbs and you still keep losing fat. The benefits are physical and psychological and best part is, you’re never completely deprived.
5. Take Diet breaks: Avoid prolonged periods in aggressive caloric deficits. If you have a lot of fat to lose and it’s going to take more than 3 months to hit your long term fat loss goal, don’t do it all in one stretch. Take a week at maintenance calories after 12 weeks of restricted dieting. This – raising your calories - is the most counter-intuitive of all the metabolism-rebuilding strategies but it’s one of the most important.
6. Do Cardio. Don’t Over-Do It. If you’re overweight, you can sometimes get away with very low calorie diets without adverse consequences if you’re not doing tons of cardio on top of it. Endurance athletes get away with high volume training because they provide ample amounts of food to fuel it (man, those guys can EAT!) Dieters and physique competitors on the other hand, often semi-starve themselves while doing huge amounts of cardio at the same time. Exercise research says that extreme amounts of cardio during a diet can actually cause the same type of adaptive metabolic downshift as eating too little food. Fitness and figure competitors have been known to do 2 or even 3 hours of cardio a day before competitions. This kind of overtraining can be counter-productive when you look at the metabolic damage and “cardio dependency” potential. And remember, if you’re not diligent, you can out-eat almost any amount of exercise. If you’re doing upwards of an hour of cardio a day and not seeing significant fat loss, you’d better take a close look at your diet first before you rush to add more cardio.
7. Weight training: In the physique world, weight training is a foregone conclusion. But in the everyday world of non-athletes, weight loss = “diet,” not weight loss = “lift weights.” For Suzy soccer mom, “lift weights to lose weight” probably doesn't even compute. But weight training is so important for metabolic health and better body composition, that if you were forced to choose one or the other – cardio or weights – the weightlifting would be a NO BRAINER decision. If you have a concern about metabolic damage and you’re not weight training yet, there’s nothing else to discuss. Start pumping iron, then get back to me.

What if you have long history of starvation dieting and yo yo weight cycling?

Ok, so these 7 strategies are great for avoiding metabolic damage and minimizing the metabolic adaptations that happen while dieting. But what if you’re a chronic dieter and you fear that you’ve already messed up your metabolism?

Take another sigh of relief. With the exception of a pessimistic report we see here and there about metabolic damage being irreparable, the majority of the research says the effects are temporary. In severe cases, it may take a little longer to get back to normal and continue on to achieve your long term goals, but it's never hopeless.

One case I recall was a former jazz and ballet dancer. At 5' 5", she was previously 110 lbs and had increased to about 145 or so. She didn't want to reach her previous 110, but find a happy medium of about 125 -130 lbs. I figured with at most 20 lbs to cut, this would be a simple and predictable process, but she had a challenging time dropping fat even on a surprisingly low caloric intake. I didn't know why at first – but I knew she wasn’t cheating and she was tracking food intake meticulously.

I later found out that she had been anorexic and bulimic for many years. This had lasting repercussions, and although she did reach her goal, it took about twice as long as we anticipated.

Easing into more calories and more carbs with a transitional period

If you think you’re in the same boat: (A) it seems like you’re not eating that much, but you’re not losing fat and or (B) you’ve finally reached your goal but you’re terrified of regaining if you raise your calories, you should use the same 7 strategies to get your metabolism back in gear. You simply need to add a “transition period” to build your calories back up slowly. If you’re worried about suddenly increasing your calories, you’re not paranoid – you’re prudent.

After becoming accustomed and somewhat adapted to a lower caloric intake, avoid abruptly jumping up to your predicted maintenance level. Instead, increase calories slowly 100-200 at a time and hold them there for one week. Measure the results after each one week phase, and then repeat until you reach your appropriate deficit or maintenance level. This will give your body and your mind time to adjust.

Here’s another safe way to ease into a higher food intake. This is ideal if you’ve been on a low calorie, low carb diet and you want to ease out of it. Add carbs, but start by adding them only in the post workout meal. During the post-training window of opportunity, not only will the carbs NOT get stored as fat, (they’ll get sucked right up into muscle glycogen), this strategy can dramatically improve your body composition and workout recovery.

If you still feel discouraged despite now having these strategies at your fingertips, then take one last sigh of relief. The good news is, even in extreme cases, these nutrition and training principles work! It just takes a little longer.

My dancer client? She kept going. With patience and hard work, she placed top 5 in a national fitness competition – and as you can imagine, her routine was killer, just like her body! By the way, her program included serious heavy training with free weights and she ate a lot more (clean) food than she had ever eaten before…

Eat more, burn more.
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 300
Posted: 9/28/2011 5:13:41 PM

because your body is in STARVATION mode now, slowing down its metabolism, pumping out more & more hormones to desperately store FAT as much as possible, because it knows there is NO FOOD coming in..& it doesn't want you to DIE..trying to protect you from yourself & your idiotic water fasting.

for the sake of argument assume your calories used per day before were 3,000 ..and you still got fat.

now your metabolism will slow down to only use 2,500 or maybe even 2,000 for the same activity level.

so it will be even easier to get fat (fatter) than it was before!

you did not have the discipline to eat 3,000 cals. or less before, but now you think you will magically have the discipline to eat 2,000 cals. or less, for the rest of your life???

how? " Discipline" never lasts that long.

plus you will feel deprived and want more and more to gorge on your favorite foods, and you WILL , make no mistake

you've been on this "diet" for 8 or 9 days & think you're so disciplined.

what about the next 14,600 days (40 years) ?? also your metabolism will tend to slow as you age as well.

Idiotic? You making a bunch of assumptions about what I will and will not do is the definition of"idiotic."

And discipline doesn't last. You're right. That is why like bathing, it is recommended you do it every day.

To paint a clearer picture for you and others:

1) I don't feel deprived after my fast. My vices were iced cappuccinos and Pepsi every day. I have had one iced cap and one Pepsi in the last month. In other words, I had stopped consuming caffeine on a regular basis a good two weeks before I began my fast. Why make it any tougher on myself going through withdraw symptoms while fasting? I began getting healthier before my fast.

2) I haven't "gorged" myself on anything. In fact, any of the junk type foods I've had so far I didn't even want to eat after a few bites. I did finish it, but it tasted like shit.

3) Living on water and juice for 10 days is discipline, even if you don't agree. I only know one other person who has done it and many who have said they don't have the mental discipline to even attempt it. There are a few people I know that are considering doing it after seeing my results. I've had people comment that I seem "different" now, in a positive sense.

4) I'm not storing any fat when the fat that I have is physically not there. It's laughable how you guys are viewing fasting as weight cutting, when those are two separate things.

5) As far as diet: I know how to eat my 6 meals a day to keep my metabolism constantly burning. I had done that for many, many years. I just happened to stop doing that during the last five years and stopped caring so much about it and that is where I gained about 20 -30 pounds of excess weight. I wasn't in the gym every day. I didn't care so much about what I put in me because it had lost its importance. Even then, with my frame, it didn't look like I was fat to other people, but I knew myself I had to do something and I chose to fast just to see what would happen.

6) It is one thing to point out so and so said this or said that and actually going out and doing it. Having experienced a "lengthy" fast and reading about it are two different things. Family, friends and acquaintances who notice that I appear different not only physically, but in attitude, etc.. - where is the anti-fasting researching dissecting that?

A lot of information out there is misinformation. All too often there is some sort of hidden agenda trying to discredit someone that is doing something that doesn't involve consuming or using some sort of product or service. I can find scientific studies supporting fasting and others can find them attacking fasting. Surprise, surprise.

7) I never started fasting in order to lose weight only - that just happened to be a side effect. I was more interested in detoxifying my body and getting crap out of me. I did not feel well before fasting and I felt good once I got past the rough stage (first few days) and continue to feel well after fasting.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Water Fasting--who has done it?