Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Water Fasting--who has done it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sweetness-one
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Water Fasting--who has done it? Page 5 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Not directed at the poster above me, just at previous ones: Christianity really doesn't have a place in this thread, to be honest (nor does any religion, really). Whether I believe in God or not, those who have quoted the Bible thus far as it pertains to fasting are really dealing with faith, not absolutes, and certainly not proven fact as to how extreme fasting/starvation will affect the body physiologically. I don't believe the OP even stated she was wanting to do this fast for religious reasons either, so let's just leave religion out of it.

I don't listen to those who've never missed a day without a meal.

Divesting that comment from all intended or unintended snideness, we aren't really talking about someone missing a day or two without a meal in this thread, we're talking about going 60 days with nothing else but water for sustenance. I posted earlier that I knew someone who went 3 weeks on this water fast, and that's cool that you've shared your own experiences as well. It appears the OP isn't even still here, but for anyone else reading and thinking of doing their own water fast for that length of time...how did your body react during the water fast that you did for 15-20 days, Hawaiianluau?
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Water Fasting--who has done it?
Posted: 8/25/2008 8:43:05 PM
Not for nothing... But, back at post # 4 the original poster was the "first" one who introduced Christianity/religion into the subject. Her words exactly...

"Obviously you people don't know what the bleep you are talking about. Even Jesus and Moses fasted. Are you questioning them?
Get a life."

That statement would lead anyone to believe that she was backing up or supporting her decision of undertaking a "successful" water fast on more than just physical, scientific, or nutritional information. That statement involved a direct reference of two different biblical "figures" obviously living through their fasts, as their stories continued further into the Bible.
 Fashen
Msg: 103
Posted: 8/25/2008 8:49:37 PM
And here we go like bees to honey. So I guess if I write a book and claim Santa Claus created earth that's proof?
 adistar25
Msg: 104
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:39:47 PM
Good luck killing your body with this stupid stunt!!!!!!!!!
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 105
Posted: 8/26/2008 1:47:15 AM

Does eating properly somehow make one's opinion invalid?

Divesting that comment from all intended or unintended snideness...

When I wrote that I don't listen to those who don't fast it was preceded in the same sentence by my saying that I stopped before my target because my back muscles get sore msg # 97. Many people have their own medical opinions as to why that is. It doesn't matter to me. They're sore muscles and I just deal wth it.

The quote from my post was copy/pasted out of context. Saying that I don't listen to the posters on this thread was not the case.

pippaxxx
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:46:00 PM
Well if your still here in 60 days then we know it works :)

Can I ask how much 100% oure fruit juice is OK to drink a day, as I appreciate it had natural sugars in.
Are we talking 1 ltr??
 Fashen
Msg: 107
Posted: 8/26/2008 10:07:17 PM
that but I don't listen to those who've never missed a day without a meal.

The quote from my post was copy/pasted out of context. Saying that I don't listen to the posters on this thread was not the case.

Yet he is reading and responding to people who never missed a day without a meal. Assumption he never missed a meal? How do you know the guy didn't miss a meal, are you god?

Nice try.
I have nothing that I need to defend here. Have a nice dinner.

Huh? Defend what? Are you losing some brain cells when fasting?
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 108
Posted: 8/26/2008 10:22:17 PM
Yeah that's what it is.
The cancerous ones.
One more benefit to fasting.
 Sanguis Dominus
Msg: 109
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:19:56 PM
Unless I'm mistaken... are you claiming you can cure brain cancer by fasting, because fasting kills off cancerous cells?

Yeah... that makes sense.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 110
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:47:45 PM
Not cure cancer but as we grow old we have cancerous (and other diseased) cells accumulating in our bodies.
When the body is deprived of food it starts to "eat" itself for survival.
The human body is capable of many things we cannot comprehend.
It's not stupid. It's not going to attack a perfectly good spleen.
It will weed out the bad cells and destroy them.
The body can heal itself in alot of ways if we just stay out of the way sometimes.

The mouth, gums, esophogas, intestine, stomach, bowel all get to take a rest.
The blood runs pure through the liver, kidneys, gallbladder, heart flushing out the toxins that never get a rest.

Tip of the iceberg.
 crazytimes1
Msg: 111
Posted: 8/27/2008 1:27:40 AM

Not cure cancer but as we grow old we have cancerous (and other diseased) cells accumulating in our bodies.

Er... if you have cancerous cells accumulating in your body champ then you have got a small problem. Pretty sure that when a cancer starts to metastasize then you are screwed.

If you think that going a bit hungry is going to cure metastasizing cancer then the sooner you can eliminate yourself from the gene pool by death from starvation the better.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/27/2008 7:34:15 AM
Guess we all got our own ways Crazy.
People beat cancer every day but maybe mentioning the big C is a bit extreme, "and other diseased cells"
may be more pertinant to this discussion, however I don't know exactly how accurate you are.
Seems to me there is massive information that we don't know about cancer.

Like I said in my first post my diet is what "works for me".
I also said " I don't recommend fasting to anyone because
everyone is different with med requirements and other health issues. "
Everyone should be their own expert on what and what not to eat.
I don't tell anyone what to do.
In the same respect, I consume what I want.

Will regard your recommendation about the gene pool with all due levity mate.
 4665646f7261
Msg: 113
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:38:48 PM
Fasting is foolish beyond words. There is no need to fast. One can mediate or eat healthy foods to get rid of illness. If one is over weight, a healthy diet and moderate exercise will do. Many people in China die or end up in hospitals because they were fasting. It is a shame things like this is getting popular. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone doesn't eat food at all?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 4:08:00 PM
Fasting is recommended by Yogis for 3 days at a time, for health, because it cleanses the system. But only 3 days, and only periodically, in the same way as some people have a colonic a few times a year.

Moses did fast, for ONE day, at least once a year. But I never heard that he fasted for several days in a row. What the Bible says is that he went without food or drink for 40 days on the mountain, while he was with G-d. However, from what I've watched, you cannot go more than 7 days without water, without serious risk of dying. Going without any source of water, from food or drink, for 40 days, would kill you. So the Biblical account of Moses had to have been some kind of miracle, that G-d sustained him WITHOUT NEED for food or drink! So it is NOT a good idea to copy this.

It is good for 1-3 days, to go on a water only fast, every so often, as it does clear the mind, and clears the system. Mind you, giving blood every 3 months is also very good for you. So you could do that as well.

But as others have posted, it is your regular eating habits and activities that will determine your weight. Eat a lot of healthy good, and exercise a lot, just like the film stars do when they are filming, and you'll keep in good shape. Eat a lot of junk food, and do no exercise, just like a lot of film stars do when they are between films, and you'll look awful, just like the pictures the paparazzi manage to get printed in magazines.

Eat healthy, and exercise a lot. That's the way.
 baultista
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 9:04:56 AM
I would do it for a day... but the primary purpose would be for self-discipline, or some kind of "cause".

You want to do 60 days for the sole purpose of losing weight.
Either get off your lazy butt and start exercising, or go see a doctor.
 sarsss
Msg: 116
Posted: 9/6/2008 8:40:13 PM
It is not just dangerous but rather definitely deadly for that time frame!!! It takes one somewhere about few weeks without food on water only to die, as far as I remember from school.

Yes, I fasted without any food or liquid for religious reasons for about 48hrs. However, this is really dangerous!!! You should always take at least liquids or you can die very easily without it in a few days!!! If you are not taking enough food, instead of water try to take 100% vegetable or fruit juices!

Your cells need food to normally function, and the food needs to include carbohydrates, fats, complete proteins, fiber, minerals, and vitamin.

You might want to increase activity and quality of the food and reduce on quantity if you want to loose weight the healthy way!!!

You can get various illnesses if you do not take quality food everyday!!! There are not good things without effort, so just try to work exercise, run, etc and try to make this as your new lifestyle if you want long term results!!!

However, this above is not any kind of medical advice and you should not rely on any information given by me above because I am not a health professional and the info should be verified as it is not 100% accurate; you should rather consult your doctor before starting your diet.
 sarsss
Msg: 117
Posted: 9/7/2008 8:56:52 AM
Are you still alive and well? I noticed it is almost 6o days since you originally posted the question!!!

Do not trust all the information you find online!!! Try to get reputable sources of information written by people with degrees in medicine or health!!!
 4665646f7261
Msg: 118
Posted: 9/7/2008 11:13:34 PM
I have to agree sarsss. Fasting more than a few days is out right stupid. Even if you survive you could have malnutrition without knowing it. I doubt OP will make it to day 30 let alone 60.
 obeythepug
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:33:27 AM
Jesus may have fasted. Supposedly, he walked on water, but I am not going to try that either. (I wouldn't mind turning water into wine.) I skipped lunch once because I forgot my wallet. That afternoon I had a grand mal seizure because my blood sugar dipped too low. If I want to feel refreshed, I can just get a massage.
 wind chimez
Msg: 120
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:07:12 PM
To heck with this, just give me some chocolate

P.S. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia.
 omans009
Msg: 121
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:16:25 PM
I am currently fasting this month for religious purposes. I am on day 10 and got 20 more to go. I can't drink or eat between 5 am and 7:40 pm. I am not struggling or anything. My strength is the same but I am getting way leaner and people at the gym now want to try it. One thing though is I know how my body reacts and when to eat. If your not willing to put the alarm every 2 hrs at night and eat, then fasting will ruin you. I eat at 7:40 pm, gym, eat at 10 pm, 12am , 2am, 4 am. I sneak in my sleeping hours during the day. I am just that dedicated but most can't handle what I do. I already lost 7 lbs of fat already. My lifting is the same, not a rep lower ... probably even stronger. So you guys discussing water fasting but I am doing both food and water :).
 breath~
Msg: 122
Posted: 9/10/2008 6:37:41 PM
^^ why is that different than reversing it?
Fasting totally off water/food at night and eating small meals every few hours during the day?
Something in the moon?

(although I laugh, I AM wondering)
 omans009
Msg: 123
Posted: 9/10/2008 8:26:21 PM
huh what are you talking about breath ... I fast totally off water/food during the day and can only eat at night.
 breath~
Msg: 124
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:12:06 PM
I'm trying to understand why that is different than the reverse?
Which would be the 'normal' fasting totally off water/food during the night and only eat at day (same pattern of eating you are doing at night, several small meals)?

Both 'ways' equal an approximate same amount of hours of fasting vs. eating/drinking.

The 12 hours of dark vs. the 12 hours of light.
Why do you think it works better in your 'reverse'?
 sportbikes4life
Msg: 125
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:17:00 PM
worthless idea. i know people who have done it and have passed out, almost died from dehydration. awesome.
the only good times for water fasting is making weight for a match or to have your skin appear tighter for bodybuilding. very fleeting results. your muscles are 70% water. way to go in wasting them away for no healthy reason whatsoever. water also provides a place for chemical processes with cells to take places throughout the body, but who needs those. lemme know when you gain all your water weight back. hahahaha
what a joke. please dont spread your "dieting/fasting" ideas to anyone else
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Water Fasting--who has done it?