Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > For those that have been married before - would you do it again?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CuteChick4u
Msg: 101
For those that have been married before - would you do it again?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Absolutely!!.. if I fell madly in love with him, I'd marry him, if he wanted to, but ONLY if I was really really in love. Actually I loved being married, I found my life much more predicable, stable, secure and I was truly happy. Well , at the beginning anyway, lol
Towards the end though, everyday was like a volcano waiting to erupt, and there were days it erupted and big time too.

To be honest though,
I truly miss the company of a man now, just the sharing, the joking around, even shopping for groceries together, whatever !
However, like most of us, I' m not willing to settle, I'd much rather be alone, I am far from desperate!
cuz I need to be in love
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 102
view profile
History
For those that have been married before - would you do it again?
Posted: 8/22/2008 3:15:38 PM
I don't need a piece of paper to be married to someone, if that is the criteria. I've only been in a common law relationship, and never been "married" in that classical sense.

Would I do it again ?

In a heartbeat, with the right woman.
 jackieboy62250
Msg: 103
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:12:25 AM
maybe - but (there is always a "but" isn't there?), after a long courtship and camping for a week together without any amenities :-) - merging two separate lives and retaining individuality is a difficult process at any age level that requires a varied skill set not to mention a willingness to compromise without acquiescence.
 moffassa
Msg: 104
Posted: 8/24/2008 11:08:50 AM
Hello!

I lost faith in this called"Institution of Fairy Tales".

However I believe in Commitment ,first and best. Experience teaches us to get to know each other well first before you jump in with socks and all.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 11:16:35 AM
It wasn't the marriage that was the problem, it was who I married. Marriage is comfortable for me because of the way I feel about an SO and my belief systems but I don't see it being a deal breaker either way at this point. I have had my children and I would not anticipate having any more because it would require adoption anyway.

If I met a man that was committed but marriage phobic I don't think it would bother me to cohabitate but if I felt that strongly about someone else again I think I would probably want to get married. Maintaining two residences might also be viable if both people were on board with it. When I was younger, this seemed like a total waste of money and on some level probably still would but then I look at some couples that have done this and maybe that is one of the reasons they are together, because they have some place to go when the other party makes them mad as hell.

If you cohab, and either party wants to be an ass the courts are going to be involved anyway, so to me, people that act like marriage is the culprit because they were in a bad one and had a messy divorce aren't really seeing the problem which was the wrong person or persons.
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 106
Posted: 8/24/2008 11:28:24 AM
Divorce.. Breakups... Heartache... Sadness... Goodbyes... No doubt these are the saddest times of our lives when these things happen and if someone asked me during one of those times if I would ever remarry, they'd get a resounding "NO... DAMMIT!" from me... I am not a masochist and I find it hard to give up on anything that I care about.

BUT, I would find it equally heartbreaking to have to admit to myself that I haven't learned that I can get through such devastating pain and emerge with more knowledge of myself and an even richer kind of love to offer... I have learned these things. I am able to step onto the dance floor knowing that I have what it takes to finish the set. And I just can't imagine myself being someone who would shy away from commitment in the long term simply because it hasn't worked out in the past.

My profile currently reads that I am only looking for friends because I am doing some personal growth work that I put off for far too long but when the time comes that I feel I have grown as much as I can on my own, I will once again, reach out in the hopes of meeting the one person I would have no hesitation to marry. If I don't find him, I will consider that to be what is meant for me and live in serenity anyway.

If divorce and breakups teach us anything at all, it's that we can and do find special strengths that allow us to heal and go on in a better way. If we don't have this, I think we didn't "get" what life is trying to teach us.
 spiderette
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 1:07:38 PM
Probably not. Nothing against marriage, but it just doesn't fit into my lifestyle. I think marriage works best for people who crave long-term closeness and companionship. I like having companions and friends, but I don't want to be tied at the hip and always having to worry about what someone else wants. I find there's a lot of freedom in being single. I'd like to date until the endorphins wear thin. I love the excitement of that phase, but after that, it becomes too much of a day-to-day grind. I just don't want to give up certain aspects of my life. For me, the ideal relationship would be one where we maintained separate houses, finances, and the like...but we could have the fun parts of a relationship.

The irony is my divorce is not bitter. There were some bad points, but I tend to get over things and I have a difficult time staying upset over anything in my life. As they say, time heals all wounds.
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 108
Posted: 8/24/2008 2:03:44 PM
I think marriage works best for people who crave long-term closeness and companionship. I like having companions and friends, but I don't want to be tied at the hip and always having to worry about what someone else wants.

I don't disagree that "marriage works best for people who crave long-term closeness and companionship" but there are other reasons that marriage works well for some people other than just "craving long-term closeness and companionship".

Simply loving someone can be one of the reasons one might never want to have to say "goodbye" to them. I know it's so simple that it often gets lost in the shuffle so let me shine a light on that for a moment. If you find someone who invokes warmth, tenderness, passion and excitement... who adds a new richness to every one of your days just because they are who they are... who inspires, encourages and even reassures... why would a person want to limit the growth and commitment by installing some kind of warning beacon into the relationship that says, "when you screw up or if my feelings change, we'll be saying goodbye"??? For many, getting married is the declaration of an intention to never have to say goodbye if there are any other ways around it.

Marriage also works best for people who understand that character development is an important aspect of our own growth. There is no other relationship that will call on us to develop strong qualities quite as much as marriage does... To make a marriage work, it's necessary for each of us to develop tolerance, patience, compassion, insight, fortitude, compromise and a host of other qualities that make each of us stronger and healthier people. Without the development or exercise of these invisible muscles, I believe that a valuable part of our spirit atrophies and dies.

Marriage also works when people have a strong spiritual connection with a higher power and through the marriage, through loving someone else and truly caring about someone else, we are able to feel more connected with our higher power. Such a connection surpasses the swirling circumstances of physical, financial or sexual changes and elevates that loving relationship into a sacred place that would not be destroyed if one person was to gain weight, become ill or lose their job. It also places their sexuality in the sacred place that allows them the freedom to be wildly passionate and uninhibited with one another.

Marriage then, isn't just for those who "crave long-term closeness and companionship". It's also for those who are spiritual, loving and brave enough to walk through Hell for those we love, IF we have to...
 spiderette
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:19:47 PM
I agree with everything you say, Silken. I stated things somewhat simplistically for typing convenience. I sure felt the way you describe during my marriage. However, now that I'm single, retrospectively, all those wonderful things just aren't enough for me to give up my new found freedom. I love my life the way it is and I truly don't think I could ever go back to being married (ditto for living together). In addition, I'm also far too responsible to make a marital commitment knowing how my paradigm has shifted (now that I'm single) and how I presently truly feel about marriage. Lastly, I presently have all those wonderful things in my life without a marriage...plus, I have my freedom too. I honestly feel I have my cake, the icing, and I'm even able to eat it!!!
 Katir
Msg: 110
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:27:56 PM
I don't know. I'm wary of saying "never again". Tends to happen when you say that, lol.
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 111
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:38:18 PM

my paradigm has shifted

Wow.... that musta hurt!

When mine shifted, I could no longer leap tall buildings, sing the high notes OR travel on the short, yellow bus... I sure miss my buddies...

Just kidding Spiderette... Thanks for your response... Just for the record, I think there are many ways to be happy...
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:50:54 PM
All the other things, about focusing on marriage, or getting married to "work on personal development", for me processes as so much codswallop, but response to faith, or spiritual leadings, yeah, I get that.

Why... oh why.. am I not surprised that you would find personal growth, "codswallop"?

Nope.. not the least bit surprised.. Not even a little bit...

Try as I might, though, a reading of the Christian Bible doesn't allow for remarriage, following divorce. It is considered "adultery", with the difference being, that a marriage "locks you in" to an adulterous relationship for the "long haul", and I anticipate that a time will come that the "flesh won't be as weak", and I will embrace celibacy as I get to the point in life that it would be "doable". It's not, for me, at this point.

And I suppose you can find scripture that condones promiscuity Ren? I'd venture to guess that if you're looking for a way to get into heaven, it actually needs to start with some of that godawful codswallop...

luvtoshop2
Msg: 113
Posted: 8/24/2008 4:54:51 PM
[What was the saddest thing for me was watching a man I had thought I'd known and loved become this person I didn't recognise who just distanced himself from me.]

EXACTLY!

As other's have said...I LOVE the idea of one other person to be my partner in life....maybe I can find that, but I don't think I'll ever marry again......

~T
 Serendipity_76
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:04:16 PM
I think the first time is always experimental. You don't know quite what you want in a husband. Now that you've experienced marriage you have better knowledge in finding a longterm mate. I'm looking forward to getting re-married. I truly believe 2nd time will be the charm! Like all things, don't let one mishap ruin all future happiness. Life is a gamble, you don't win big unless you play big!
 dao626
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:37:49 PM
I would do it again if I found the right person.
 64 Classic
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 8:24:19 PM

A former co-worker one time said the only thing she missed about her ex was being married. As I was married at the time I didn't get what she meant. Now I get it and I too miss being married. However, I will NOT rush into anything just to be married.
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:59:29 AM
Yes if I believed I found the right person. I would have to date them a year first so I get to know them. One more time for me!
 ItsMargo
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2008 3:42:21 PM
Oh my. Knowing everything that I do about the realities of failed relationships... including financial loss on top of the emotional loss. With my eyes wide, wide open to the harsh realities of life I can say that my future has not been defeated by my past.

YES, I would risk again. If I found that grand passion... you bet I would. The rewards are most certainly worth the risks. I do not believe Life is about trying to eliminate risk; it is all about how you meet the risk that life is.

I do not need a marriage certificate to make a commitment. But making and keeping this sort of a commitment to the one you love does alter both of you in the loving.
 cuddles1961
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/25/2008 3:52:50 PM
Yes I would marry again, in a heartbeat!
 BOT TAK
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/25/2008 4:06:25 PM

Probably not. Nothing against marriage, but it just doesn't fit into my lifestyle. I think marriage works best for people who crave long-term closeness and companionship. I like having companions and friends, but I don't want to be tied at the hip and always having to worry about what someone else wants. I find there's a lot of freedom in being single. I'd like to date until the endorphins wear thin. I love the excitement of that phase, but after that, it becomes too much of a day-to-day grind. I just don't want to give up certain aspects of my life. For me, the ideal relationship would be one where we maintained separate houses, finances, and the like...but we could have the fun parts of a relationship.
This is exactly why I will marry some day. Because I like long-term closeness and companionship, I like being best friends, when I can tell everything and I'd knew I would be understood right.

When endorphins wear thin, I like to hold hands, talk about life, children, grandchildren or just keep silence. It's why the main important thing in the life is to find that right person for you so the life would never get boring with him, endorphins or not...I love that everyday, day-to-day feeling of happiness, security, shared life when you don't have to give up anything in your life because everything is complimentary to someone else's life.

If some day I want&can share everything: home, finances, bathroom with someone and I want that to be always like that - I'll marry him.
 djdj23
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/25/2008 4:11:26 PM
My marriage was bitter as any I've seen when we split. I believe there is someone out there for me and she just wasn't it. Absolutely, I'd get married again...but I'd have to know the person for a while before I was comfortable with it....I would need to see how they handled the joys, miseries, and abnormalities that life throws at us.
 laileanah
Msg: 122
Posted: 8/25/2008 4:43:38 PM
I would DEFINITELY marry again. I have ben divorced 12 years and I would not say it was bitter, but it was ugly.
Still, I would not hesitate to make that committment to a man again.
 gearhead59
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/27/2009 8:38:23 PM
Marriage is litterally just a piece of paper done by man in our legal system, which is inherently human! Don't need a piece of paper to be married to someone,if you both love each other and profess your love to God mutually, you are married in Gods eyes if that is what you believe in.
 karma1160
Msg: 124
Posted: 6/27/2009 8:52:17 PM
Yes I would but I would need a long enough engagement to know that the boat is seaworthy.
 jadegreen
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2009 8:55:31 PM
Sure I would. Marriage wasn't that bad for me.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > For those that have been married before - would you do it again?