Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do attractive people have more trouble being monogamous?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brownie360
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Do attractive people have more trouble being monogamous?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Get yourself a ugly man - Millie Jackson
 brownie360
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Do attractive people have more trouble being monogamous?
Posted: 8/22/2008 12:17:44 AM
It's CHARACTER; or the lack thereof is why people cheat, not beauty.
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 76
Posted: 8/22/2008 12:22:46 AM

..dunno...soon as my face job is done and i find a honey..
i will get back to you..

ps...with my face...dont hold your breath...
Posted: 8/22/2008 12:58:53 AM

Some of the responses here truly boggle my mind.

SOME people who attract a lot of others are actually slightly repulsed by those who are only interested in their looks, and would prefer to create a loving bond with someone who appreciates them for WHO THEY ARE... so why would they cheat based on someone who thinks they look hot that night?

Novel concept apparently?

Wow well put Sassyaquarious!!! Some people just don't get it do they.
 Lobster Johnson
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 1:17:53 PM
Attractive people have more options. I am attractive and intelligent so I have way more options to date all types of women than a shorter more average dude. But attractive people aren't always polygamous. I agree that there is more temptation and opportunity because women are always ready and willing to have sex.

I had to raise my standards for women in order to avoid the temptation. Once you get with really hot babes or intelligent females, you can't go back. You crave an even better experience than the last. Fortunately, there aren't that many women worth sleeping with or even talking to. It gives me an extra layer of confidence because I can reject or avoid all types of silly women.
 Easy Read
Msg: 79
Posted: 8/22/2008 1:44:58 PM
The answer is, no. It is psychology that determines if a person proactively chooses to play the field. That is like saying do red or black cars drive faster... It is what is under the hood that matters... not the appearance of the vehicle.

ER
 ~Bugs Ear~
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/22/2008 1:50:37 PM
I have to disagree that attractive people get hit on more often or have more opportunities than average looking people.

There have been a number of threads on the boards about attractiveness being a turn off, how attractive people are intimidating to others or how attractive people have difficulty getting dates because others usually assume that they must already be attached or that their standards must be so high they’re almost impossible to please.

If the responses to those topics are indicative of how attractive people are perceived in general, then obviously they’re NOT being inundated with temptations to cheat. Making generalizations about any specific group of people is usually an attempt to justify insecurity and envy by trying to making oneself appear and feel better, at the expense of others.

Attractive people are NO more apt to stray than people of average appearance. If someone is the type of person who believes that it’s acceptable to do that, they will. Regardless of what they look like.
 Lobster Johnson
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 2:14:11 PM
I agree that attractive people may not stray as much as average people, but I disagree with your statement about attractive people not having more opportunities. Attractive means arousing interest or pleasure. Because attractive people have good symmetry in their bodies, they are ususally healthier and can attract more sexual opportunities than those with less symmetry. This is a scientific fact so Google it if you want more info.

Opportunities are favorable or advantageous circumstances or combinations of circumstances. Because I am tall and attractive, I have a better chance of arousing interest in a female than a less attractive male. The same is also apparent for attractive females. Attractive people are intimidating because of the fact that they have more opportunties......Your first statement depends upon this fact. If attractive people didn't have more opportunities, average people wouldn't be intimidated by them.
 zangie
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 8:32:53 PM
Attractive people who brag, or have to continually say how attractive they are, aren't very attractive to me personally...

I think they have more opportunities...but, their personality determines how they behave or react to those opportunities...speaking as someone who isn't on the high end of that scale...I have had plenty of opportunities to cheat anyway..but, don't because I believe it is wrong. I don't think the looks determine it...the mindset does...
 whitefether
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 8:46:28 PM
I would think that attractive people have more opportunities to cheat, but I don't think that they actually do. I have had some ugly Sneaky Pete's that have hit on me, with their wife across the room. The dogs!

Sherry
 MY OH MY
Msg: 84
Posted: 8/22/2008 9:36:17 PM
The men that I have had relationships with were all attractive to me, but, I can't say that it was why they had problems being monogamous. Mental illness, drugs, alcohol, and of course the old, "isn't the grass greener over there," seems to be what I have seen. I don't know if they have done any actual studies, but I wonder how many men that date online for x amount of time have the habit of always checking for the greener grass. I bet there is a connection to how long you date online and if you can be monogamous.
 kane stays
Msg: 85
Posted: 8/23/2008 5:16:34 AM
I am not qualified to respond to this question but I do find it interesting. Matter of fact I burned my buns reading it. My cinnamon buns not my other buns.Oh dear I've gone way off topic. Who wants a bun?
 ~Music
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/23/2008 5:30:21 AM
I quite disagree.

I suppose it could be an age related issue though. Certainly, someone younger who has not experienced these trials and tribulations may succumb to the advances of the opposite sex. I think overall that these same experiences most likely give you better knowledge and control over those situations. All in all, I am certain that we are all searching for the same thing. That special someone who loves us for us, not some idealization that they have.

On the other hand, say you are the other partner with the attractive partner. As well, this shouldn't have a great impact. Again, probably age related, but there should be trust. Possibly those losing their attractive partners have displayed a lot of jealousy and insecurity. Jealousy and insecurity are the biggest turn offs.
 ab07
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/12/2009 3:28:40 PM
Attractive men tend to cheat more because men in general are not given blatent sex opportunities like many women are. Women grow used to that over time ... but men really don't. None that I know of anyway. It's as if really attractive woman where given a better shot at high priced jobs that are normally given to men. They would likely take them because it's not a normal experience for many women. It's not pretty but it's somewhat true.
 damassteel
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 5:36:45 PM
What an interesting set of responses... I feel this ones almost like the "does size matter?" kind of question. One wonders just how frank people are willing to be. Personally I can say that being considered attractive, I get more than my share of potential oportunities and if I were so inclined, I would probably have more sexual opportunities than , let's say some other men that were not considered by some women to quite as attractive.
But attractiveness is more than looks alone, so that must somehow be factored in.
I know fully well I don't appeal to every woman, but over the years I've received enough feedback of the kind that leads me to believe I've a certain appeal. If I'd acted on all such opportunities I would've been a very busy guy indeed. When I was much younger I was fascinated by the whole thing and took quite a few liberties in that direction and could cearly see that I was getting more attention from the ladies than some other of my friends. So, I would say that attractive people have an edge and some may even take advantage of their fortunes, but it doesn't mean that all so endowed will do this After the fascination faded, I grew to be very constant in my affections toward my wife and made it 18 years w/out an "incident".
 3Therm0pylae0
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/12/2009 6:11:20 PM
You've got some good insight on things. With greater temptation and ease of failure comes greater need for fortitude, I assume.
 Stafford_Jim
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 6:23:58 PM

You can have a million dollar body/aura but still have a 10 cent brain.

If you are a charismatic/attractive/aura person, and you are in a relationship, you choose to stay in it or choose to indulge with some "strange". It's all about choice.

The problem is that the ones that the cheaters cheat with don't care about the 10 cent brain, they're looking for the million dollar fun-spot.

My ex-wife was a cheater, her affairs were not long lasting. All the guys (except one) were there for the moment. They weren't looking at spending the rest of their lives with her. She was quite attractive back then and always received attention from men around her but she was the one who paid the price in the end. Now she's looking at turning 40 in about a year, divorced twice, her looks have faded, she's about 200lbs, and she has a kid with one of the guys she thought would love her forever, now she's pretty much stuck in a pool of whatever guys that are left who will take all of that.

I hate to say it, but I've known several acquaintances who had no problems banging married women, some even sought them out. Again they weren't there for the distance, they were there until the next willing woman came along who pleased them more.

Being pretty doesn't mean you can't say "No".

Very true, but it does mean you have a lot more opportunity to decide whether or not to say no.
 janus20
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/12/2009 10:57:41 PM
Chris Rock said it best "A person is only as loyal as their options."
 Landra2
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 11:22:14 PM
I consider myself attractive and I would never cheat. That's because sexual offers and propositions are a dime a dozen. A lot of cheezy, sleazy come-on lines, horny men, and Rico Suaves wanting to "score"--- why would any woman want more of that if she has a good man?
Perhaps the unattractive ones who aren't used to the attention would find it all very thrilling, but for me, it's a joke.
Besides-- if I'm with someone and another man wanted to get with me, then he must think I'm a lying, cheating whore so why would I want to be with him?
 DeepLuv09
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/12/2009 11:23:58 PM

It seems to me, that people who have that kind of magnetic aura and a strong sexual attraction factor , a charismatic and inviting personality,may have a bit more difficulty staying and working on a LTR. First, they have a lot more temptation and opportunity, because people are approaching them
all of the time. Plus, they may innately know that it is not difficult for them to met possible partners, therefore they aren`t desperate, and may not put the effort into the relationship to make things work when trouble occurs. They know that they won`t be alone unless they want to be

I think I have some kind of charisma/magnetism. My relationships tend to break down, not because of inability to be faithful but the partner becomes insecure because they are constantly having to deal with those that want to take over hehehe! If others are contantly expressing interest in your mate that can make you so paranoid and resentful, I think.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do attractive people have more trouble being monogamous?