Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Why are you here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Firmbear8
Msg: 26
Why are you here?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
LOL
Yes very good question for sure !
Why am I here I really do not know any more .
I joined up in the begining to maybe find that sweet loving long term sweetheart out there who is for me!
But since the day I joined and up to the present time it seems to be just a waist of my time being a member on here.
Ladies don't read my emails and none never email me who are interested in dating me.
So I guess its just a place for when I am bored to read forums & see what the single world is botching about today !
But I have also noticed everyone tends to pick every thing apart and disect it to death no matter if it is a forum posted for help with something or about dating!
As for me I would rather date someone then internet chat or disect a person to death online.
 profinder
Msg: 27
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:25:25 AM
Well 30, wife left me and trying to get back onto the dating scene without looking too lost with the deer caught in the headlights look.

So yeah Dating, relationship hunting and if all else fails gaining new friends.
 Greanize
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:32:43 AM
Maybe the you get that snotty "Why are you here?" question because you are a beautiful woman. And when a man sees a beautiful woman, he wants to get to know her. Perhaps when you say you are not here to date and have a relationship it's a defence mechamism. Maybe they feel rejected, and use it to annoy you, or try to hurt you. Their hopes have been dashed, so it's only natural that some, not all, but some will be snotty about it. And when it's done online, there's really no consequence in being a jerk.

dwinottawa that was a lovely thing for you to say and I think you have a point there. Someone once posted in another thread on a different topic pertaining to rudeness that I have always remembered and keep in my mind when someone says something rude and insulting: There is always someone out there who will try to make you feel small so they can have a moment where they can feel big!
 UrbanTO
Msg: 29
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/25/2008 12:54:06 PM

We all have our own reasons why we are here. Some want to date, some want to make friends, some want a relationship, some want to attend the many awesome parties, and some just want to be on the forums and interact with the good peeps here.
I am one of those people that seek friends only at this time and 'frankly' I get so darn tired of having to justify that to 'potential suitors'!
Frequently, I get messaged or emailed by someone asking if I want to meet, (no preamble) and when I say, I am here for friends only, some get testy and say...well, why are you here?
I know I don't have to explain or justify my reasons. What amazes me are the amount of people that do not know of the social side of this site! So when I say I am here for friends, parties, and keep intouch with some great peeps, I get flack!
How do any of you handle these kinds of approaches if someone gets 'testy' over your choices and reasons?

Totally agree with you, I've communicated with a few men here and some of them had no clue about the forums at all. When I explained it and why I hang out in the forums (I'm mostly on POF for the forums, I find them interesting and yes, maybe meet someone in the process but I'm not looking very actively), I get this "mmm... yeah right ok, moving on" type of response. Some men just don't get it lol

To the few who didn't like my response I just either deleted them or blocked them. I'm not here to prove a point. If they don't like what I say it's their choice.
 dwinottawa
Msg: 30
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/25/2008 3:44:33 PM
Once you clarified your question, I just mentioned what seemed obvious to me greanize. It always was that way, and always will be I think, just using a different forum. I remember back in the dark ages when we had no online dating, or even computers, if a couple of us gals went out to a bar to have a girl's night out, the men would hit on us, and when turned away, would get quite smart assed and snotty. And I remember some doozies. The thing then was at least we could turn around and embarrass the hell out of them in front of the crowd in a bar.

Times have changed, but human nature hasn't.
 skylynxx
Msg: 31
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/26/2008 8:17:57 PM
Oops...sorry for the double post. I must of backward the page while posting.
 MacGregrrrr
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:00:59 AM
I came seeking attraction, sadly still no satisfaction, now just here for the distraction ...
 TwigletAllergy
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:51:57 AM
I am here to meet new friends, maybe date a little too.

Going through a divorce, and all my personal friends are back in the UK where I emigrated from - all my friends in Canada are actually her friends (she's Canadian).

So "hi!" - hope to have a fun time.
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 34
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/28/2008 4:54:15 PM
Too meet someone and get OFF of Here!
 skylynxx
Msg: 35
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:36:55 PM
Talk too people, but probably never meet them. My parents told me not to meet people online.

They like to watch 20/20
 kelly1596
Msg: 36
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/30/2008 5:05:38 AM
I came on here to make friends and possibly get my feet wet in the dating scene. Like many, came out of a very long term relationship not having a clue about dating. The rules have changed, or is there any rules? I have met some nice people, emailed and chatted with quite a few. Deleted and bloced a few who were not what they said they were or did not get the fact that when I say I want to take things slow I really mean SLOW. Attraction is great but it fades so I want a real friendship base first and that takes time.
I have met one gentleman who has something about him that I like very much and we have been out a couple times. I have no clue if they could be considered "dates" or not, but I can only handle exploring one person at a time so I have hidden my profile until I know where this is heading. I prefer to give this guy my full attention and while doing this I don't want to lead anyone else on. Not into mult-dating, it just isn't for me. So now I am here for the forums. Lots of information (still looking for the rule book, LOL!) and lots of fun posts to entertain. Happy fishing !
 Ms.Birdie
Msg: 37
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/30/2008 6:33:25 AM
I hate it when men say " Why is a beautiful girl like you single...."

Maybe because I have a mind and I need to satsify that too along with my physical needs?? Geez.
 locola
Msg: 38
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/30/2008 11:55:03 AM
that must be hard for you^^ trying to act like a man . too funny indeed. show yourself.then then you will see
 RalGash
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:04:26 PM
I want to find that someone special and get married and have children. Pretty simple eh?
 fawnangel
Msg: 40
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/31/2008 10:14:23 PM
I am here now, because most of my friends are here and I host a monthly event that if I stop I would be hung...lol

I do sometimes get hassled when men see that I am not interested in anything but friendship...but heck..I found my soulmate...and low and behold I found him at a POF event...so I stay and host an event to say thank you to POF and the gang for giving me happiness.
 Greanize
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/1/2008 8:42:15 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/\ See, that is what frustrates me. Why should anyone ever be hassled. If your profile states you are not looking to meet anyone or go out on dates, then that should be end of story. There is no need to be hassled or have to explain "Why you are here".

I solved my problem for a while. I hid my profile until the time comes that I feel I am ready to hang my single shingle out again!
 Firmbear8
Msg: 42
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/2/2008 5:50:15 PM
Heck I was here looking for my best friend/long term lover and a sweet loving companion for life ! But seems no women are looing for the same as me !LOL
So maybe I should change my shingle to read YARD SALE !
LOL
 Ellies pal
Msg: 43
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:07:27 PM
I was thinking that I might find a date here....I know sounds crazy but that's why I'm here.
 ~TrueBlood~
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:46:17 PM
I was hoping to meet a man and fall in love, but I soon discovered that everyone is here for friends only, and attendees of POF events are couples and groups of friends and not singles events, so I gave up on that idealism a long time ago LOL Guess I still have some hope things will change though which is why I'm still here
 Firmbear8
Msg: 45
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/3/2008 8:12:41 PM
Yep I have to agree with you Amore !
Seems more like a pof web party group who love to meet & drink .
And also have to agree about most events tend to only draw couples and very few singles if any .
Oh yes some will say their all singles but never saw many who actually were single at these events so I tend to not bother with much of these events any more.
 someonetookmyname
Msg: 46
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:08:18 AM
the only reason you both would be thinking that is the length of time youve been on this site . Richard whats this your 8th yr here ? I guess some folks dont get the fact that their shitty atitude and bitterness towards the opposite sex may be what handcuffs them to pof or other dating sites .... Richard no one wants a grumpy oldman =] .... wow... some folks on pof have made friends with others on this site..... thats called socal networking ...isnt that what this site is for . If you people put in as much effort in your emailing habits as you do ****ing about this and that on pof you wouldnt be single .
 ~TrueBlood~
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:29:04 AM
Ouch :) I've been a member for a few years, and had a relationship during that time, and continue to date, and really don't see why that has anything to do with this. I love men and harbour no bitterness towards men at all, where did you get that from? I continue to date and remain hopeful I will fall in love again and find someone who is a great match for me. POF is just one way to meet that person, certainly not my only one. Most of the dates I have with men are not from here but from other sources, but I lead a busy life and use a lot of methods to meet different people. I also have no issue with people making friends on this or any other site, but it's hard when it's a single site and so many people are not even looking to date anyone, and the events are not single events at all but gatherings of these same friends. No problem with that except I wish they were coordinated aside from the site independently and the POF events were geared more for singles to meet other singles as opposed to friends. That's not ****ing, it's simply stating what is, and think your post was uncalled for in that tone.
 someonetookmyname
Msg: 48
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:43:32 AM
amore dont be greedy that wasnt all ment for you , just the parts that apply to what youve posted . I dont see what the big deal is with couples attending the events where they met , its them that gets everyone on the dance floor .... how about this visual for your ALL singles POF party.......

people show up

they order drinks

the music is playing

girls are on the dance floor

guys stand around the dance floor like gators waiting for a snack

they order more drinks ( even the host =] )

the party ends

keep in mind... some of the people that complain about the couples being there have shown up at some point in time during there pofing career with someone they have met off this site ... or elsewhere
 ~TrueBlood~
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:55:05 AM
I know a few couples of this site and they are fantastic people, don't get me wrong. That's the point - to find someone! It's just hard when you are single and using POF as a means to meet other available singles and go to an event and there are not available singles to meet or people not interested in dating or meeting someone. I would like to the focus to be more on singles meeting singles then a get together for existing groups of friends, is all. It can be pretty exclusive and difficult to go alone when that it is the case, if there are not others in the same situation to meet. I can go out with my own friends if I want a night out with them, but I just thought a POF event should be more for singles looking to meet other singles and maybe make some connections. Not exclusively, but it would be nice if it were more like a singles event. Maybe the couples/friends only people could always bring one single friend with them :) Didn't mean to come off as "complaining" at all, just telling how I feel :)
 Firmbear8
Msg: 50
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/5/2008 7:02:57 PM
HAHAHA!
Theres Old almost got a name again !LOL
Hey firmbear has never been grumpy with available ladies ! He only gets grumpy with tranies and women who are not single on here! haha
Too bad alot of people do not know how to lighten up and realize just because someone comments on a forum does not mean the person is grumpy !
But I have noticed alot don't take time to read and understand most things posted in these forums or even when they read the local news paper !.
Maybe that explains why so many on here don't date but rather sit at home and complain about stuff posted in forums!
And as to when did I first join this site that was 2005 . And the first 2 years I never even knew about these forums or if they were even free to post in. And over the past two years seems to me by my findings that women I find interesting enough to send email to don't even read them . They tend to just check who sent them and see if they have a pic and then delete the email. LOL
And Old almost got a name I may not be geting any ladies from pof interested in me but I have and continue to meet sweet ladies even you'd kill to date !
But yep still no ladies really seeking long term that I have found .
Oh well life is short so who cares I am gonna have fun with or with out a mate.
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Why are you here?