Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Hell hath no fury.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dejavu_2009
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Hell hath no fury.....Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The angel of the Family is Woman. Mother, wife, or sister, Woman is the caress of life, the soothing sweetness of affection shed over its toils, a reflection for the individual of the loving providence which watches over Humanity. In her there is treasure enough of consoling tenderness to allay every pain. Moreover for every one of us she is the initiator of the future. The mother's first kiss teaches the child love; the first holy kiss of the woman he loves teaches man hope and faith in life; and love and faith create a desire for perfection and the power of reaching towards it step by step; create the future, in short, of which the living symbol is the child, link between us and the generations to come. Through her the Family, with its divine mystery of reproduction, points to Eternity.

Biologically speaking, if something bites you, it is more likely to be female.

Heaven hath no rage like a love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.

How does love turn to hatred? I dont belive it does.

nor hell a fury like a woman scorned

A woman scorned yes theres fury... alone with many other emotions, its an emotional roller coaster ... doesnt last long unless one choooses for it to. Its not a good place to be so most women want to get over that horrid felling & most just fell these emotions however they dont act on them.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 52
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 12/29/2008 3:56:07 PM
It's rarely a woman going around bombing and shooting her exes family dressed as Santa. So, no, I think men have cornered the market on blind, vengeful rage.
 Ismene1
Msg: 53
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 1/11/2009 11:13:46 AM
My question is, "Do you feel that sentiment is accurate? Literary licence? Musings of a misogynist?"

I think it reflects old fashioned and archiac thinking. Some people, whatever their gender, may behave in vengeful ways.....testosterone has a lot to do with rage, as the male popluation of prisons shows it is younger men, below 45, with higher levels of testosterone, who make up the bulk of the male prison population. I think that women, who tend to have less power in society, effect their vengence in more manipulative and indirect ways, but I don't believe there is a higher level of vengeful behavior among the female gender.
 JuJuBee
Msg: 54
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 1/11/2009 11:34:41 AM
Maybe I look @ things differentely, but I'd rather let things roll back into the tide. Karma equalizes any situation or circumstance far better than I ever could.
 10of6
Msg: 55
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 1/11/2009 11:41:27 AM
By and large, true dat. I do remember the emotional wrestling matches between my mom and dad before he filed for divorce. It was certainly even worse after he filed for divorce, for she couldn't accept the fact that he wasn't divorcing her for another woman, but rather was divorcing because he felt she was slowly killing him through abuse.

Dad used to drive her crazy because he was so calm, in spite of her demands for him to "communicate." (What she really wanted was a screaming smack-down, where she was reigning queen, and sure to "win.") I love both my parents, for sure, but their relationship convinced me that relationships in this day and age are mostly about control and domination.
 Ismene1
Msg: 56
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 1/11/2009 11:48:38 AM
Dad used to drive her crazy because he was so calm, in spite of her demands for him to "communicate."

Ever hear of passive agressive? Your father was using that.....I don't mean that only men do that, nor do only women want to 'communicate' by having 'screaming smack-down' arguments. There are people of either gender who do both. Think about the men who are physically violent with their women because the women want to leave them or for other reasons.... You are young. I would hope you don't go through life thinking there is an imbalance regarding the way people behave with each other, or basing your idea about relationships on the one you observed as a child, or thinking in stereotypical ways. When you meet and care for a woman, remember, she is an individual, not a robot pre-programed to behave in a certain way because of her gender.
 10of6
Msg: 57
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 1/11/2009 3:20:02 PM
^^^^ Automatically the man in the family is charged. My father treated everything pretty much in the same vein, on an even keel. His behavior was consistent and predictable. So, that makes him passive-aggressive, doctor? If I need to correct anything, it's that my mother reacted that way, not that my father "drove her crazy" because that assumes that people can manage the behaviors of other people; not feasible or possible.

You don't know my father, mother, me or my family. I didn't ask for advice, so please keep it. That I am young does not give you license to offer couseling that comes off as patronizing. I regret that you felt it necessary to box my father, my mother, and me into a convenient package.
 LBP
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 1/12/2009 11:19:10 PM
It's hard to say really. I've had a few ex's behave vindictively but they eventually came around when I didn't feed into it. I understand they were hurt at the time but it's just an excuse for weak behavior which reaffirmed why I was leaving them.

It's about control though so I'd say the person behaving most scorned was the one in the situation who felt they had the least control. Now a days, that's a toss up but in patriarchal families before, perhaps it was more true.
 Ismene1
Msg: 59
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 1/13/2009 9:08:34 AM

Automatically the man in the family is charged....

You didn't read my post very carefully...I didn't charge the man with anything. I said that some people are passive agressive. When there are two people in a conflict, two people who need to work out an issue, and one of them refuses to engage in the discussion, that person is being passive agressive, whatever their gender. People many not manage the behavior of others, but they do manipulate it, often, regularly, all the time in all kinds of situations. I didn't refer specifically to your family and certainly did not box them into a convenient package. I am only trying to make the point that if you see one person in a relationship activing very angry and dramatic and the other person refuses to respond...that usually indicate passive agressive behavior that does not defuse the situation but inflames the emotional one. Drama is not something that women do any more than men, and passive agressive is not something men do any more than women: I did not suggest that, nor did I suggest that anyone was victimizing anyone. You are young, so young that you seem to see any insight beyond your own as patronizing. You will find that is probably not very productive.
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 60
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 1/13/2009 9:26:14 AM
I think all of those sayings can be applied to both sexes.

BOTH men and women are capable of huge swings in emotions.

I have seen both sexes do pretty stupid things in the name of love gone bad.
 HeatherCD
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 2/8/2009 11:40:19 PM
"MIGHTY furious scorned men"

Iron Sheik : "Brian Blair , you no good mother****er......you were LUCKY that 2x4 guy Hacksaw come save you otherwise.....Brian Blair I break your back , f**k your a** and then you will be HUMBLED !"

"Iran number 1 !"

Sheiky should get his own show , it'd be a hit for sure
 southernlass
Msg: 62
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 2/8/2009 11:50:44 PM
I don't worry about revenge or being scorned. When I've had relationships end in the past, those I was with always seem to want to get back together again. That doesn't happen as a rule because for me once it's over, it's over, but there is something to be said for watching those who thought the pastures might be greener realize that they were wrong. So sad, too bad.
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 63
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 5/7/2011 10:20:37 PM

My question is, "Do you feel that sentiment is accurate? Literary licence? Musings of a misogynist?"
I think limiting the idea of a scorned person being furious to women is biased. 'Scorned' men are oftentimes just as awful as 'scorned' women. In other words, gender has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the individual's personality.
 forumrun4
Msg: 64
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 5/8/2011 7:11:00 PM
than a poster scorned

Sorry but sometimes i just do not know my gender.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 5/9/2011 5:54:16 AM
Well, since it DOES come from a play, and is therefore a line of dialog from a specific CONTEXT, then I think any complaints ought to be directed to the person who chooses to take it OUT if that context, and claim it is a bit of stand-alone "wisdom."

Within the context of the full quote, it's the statement of someone male, who treated a woman with great disrespect, and understandably felt as though he had unleashed the fury of hell upon himself. You could write a modern update to it saying "Hell hath no fury, like a dude who's been dissed!"
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 66
Hell hath no fury.....
Posted: 5/11/2011 2:20:54 PM

Well, since it DOES come from a play, and is therefore a line of dialog from a specific CONTEXT, then I think any complaints ought to be directed to the person who chooses to take it OUT if that context, and claim it is a bit of stand-alone "wisdom."
..."the person"? Lots of people use this aphorism. It is part of our general cultural language. It may be taken out of its original context, but that does not change the fact of what it now currently means in our culture, so I don't think it can be dismissed. It is a biased, sexist thought, as it is used nowadays. The original context is irrelevant.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Hell hath no fury.....