Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Ladies What Do You think Of Mens Profiles That List Their Toys,Cars,B      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 goddess1972
Msg: 51
Ladies What Do You think Of Mens Profiles That List Their Toys,Cars,Boats,Etc. Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
not really personally i think they may be lacking in other areas to have as many 'toys' insecure men tend to broadcast what 'toys' they have ie boat, big fancy cars etc.
 goddess1972
Msg: 52
Ladies What Do You think Of Mens Profiles That List Their Toys,Cars,Boats,Etc.
Posted: 12/30/2006 11:02:43 AM
then men who have these kind of toys and dont brag about having them are the real men.
 ForumDoofus
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/30/2006 11:36:54 AM
A man is showing these things because he has activities and interests that are important to him. Is this bad?
 Antonia2
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/30/2006 11:49:27 AM
This is not bad...this is good. Be proud it distinguishes you from the rest of the pack...few succeed in life, to win in the game of LIFE is a very good thing, an attractive thing and it speaks volumes for strength of character as those who succeed have also fallen down BUT it it is the few who get up and brush off their knees and do it again who finally succeed, and in society we measure success with material possessions, like it or not:)
 Antonia2
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/30/2006 12:05:27 PM
While we are at it...do you think a woman who lies on her BED showing off cleavage is trying to appeal to men who like a sensual woman? A guy lets you know he has acquired a nice home, car, motorcycle, boat and he is shallow and over compensating? What are the pics of you rolling around your bed saying? lol...sometimes the obvious is so funny. Just to amuse yourself scroll back to the ladies who are so adamently against this and see if theier showing you theier boobs!
 Natscha
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/30/2006 1:39:32 PM

A guy lets you know he has acquired a nice home, car, motorcycle, boat and he is shallow and over compensating? What are the pics of you rolling around your bed saying?

This is not just a matter of a person who has acquired whatever in life; it's someone presenting EXTERNAL things like possessions, physical attributes, level of education, social status, career level and so on as a reflection of who they are. These people most likely measure their personal worth by all these outward things.

Since this is their general standard of measurement, they measure others in the same way which of course means they fluctuate between feeling inferior to some and superior to others. Basically they have very low self esteem... but I would never encourage such people to change their profiles before changing their understanding and convictions - saves some ladies a lot of time you know
 Woman on Fire
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/30/2006 1:58:38 PM
I'm not opposed to someone having a pic up with their favorite sports team logo or of their pet, even of their house..but its a little extreme if someone broadcasts their wealth with sports cars and mansions. Do those guys exist on POF?..I've never noticed any. But pics of pets and interests are good..shows you what they are like a bit more then just a pic of themselves with their shirt off, taking their pic in the mirror..I've seen a lot of these pics and that is a turn off even if the guy is buff!
 Natscha
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/30/2006 2:16:05 PM

I'm not opposed to someone having a pic up with their favorite sports team logo or of their pet,...

There is a big difference! These are things that show something about passions and reveal personality. There is also something to be said about the way someone presents these outward things. A guy could have a passion for boats and sailing yet not be dependent on these things for his sense of worth and as bait to hook women.
 Leeanne
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 2:22:18 PM
I always think - who gives a crap - if you think a woman would be impressed by your toys then what kind of woman are you trying to attract?!?! Any woman that would be impressed is probably looking for a sugar Daddy!! ~JMHO~
 VivaLaPinto
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/30/2006 2:29:50 PM
"If a guy is REALLY into something he owns (say a motorcycle) then I don't see a problem because it's part of his lifestyle. If a guy lists every single thing of worth he owns to try and attract attention, that's lame."

EXACTLY. Like, having a passion for boating, or motorcycles, or whatever is totally cool. And I'd love to see pics about that. But when every pic is a different type of vehicle, and there's one pic of the dude himself, and there isn't an iota of personality in either the pic or the profile... I run screaming into the night...

I'm not after your money. If I was, I wouldn't be looking for it here... I like to know that you're independant, and have your shit together...but no one needs the whole nine yards.
 Cher-Bear
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/30/2006 2:44:09 PM
Doesn't impress me one bit.....and I find it kind of unflattering if he does it poorly....like he's bragging about what he owns.....
 Blossom65
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/30/2006 2:46:28 PM
Whoa, man, nothing turns me off faster than seeing a pic of some dudes "boat" or "car" or "cottage" etc. Is he so lacking in personality and genitalia that he has to use these "props" to reel the fish in?

But My PERSONAL pet peeve is guys who have a pic of a cute fluffy dog on their profile then when you mention how cute the dog is, they reply, "Oh, thats my sisters dog, or friends dog, or hell, just a picture of a dog they dont even know"!
 ifulike
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/30/2006 2:52:18 PM
I don't really want to see their cars, motor cycles etc.....maybe they are hoping to impress? NOT.....
 This is Now
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/30/2006 5:50:02 PM
It doesn't matter to me in the sense that I would be looking for a date with the man and not his assets.

But I think there's good cause to mention it. There are a number of guys into bikes on this site, for example, and they are up front about wanting someone who will enjoy riding with them.

Same thing with boats and/or a cottage. It's a major part of their lifestyle and they are looking for a partner to share their down time with.
 Arianna
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/30/2006 6:20:50 PM
I don't care WHAT you have. I want to know WHO you are.

Men can post as many photos of their toys as they wish if it is an interest/hobby.

What irks me is when the whole profile pertains to material items. NEXT !!!

cukymnstr
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/30/2006 7:36:21 PM
While some might find a list of men's toys a little material, or compensatory ...
Sometimes it's only because they are trying to list the things in their life that they enjoy - in hopes that they would find someone out there interested in the same thing.

However, boys with too many toys - leaves a few questions to be answered...
 Antonia2
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/30/2006 7:58:55 PM
~"This is not just a matter of a person who has acquired whatever in life; it's someone presenting EXTERNAL things like possessions, physical attributes, level of education, social status, career level and so on as a reflection of who they are."~

It IS a reflection of who you are! When did having a successful career and a University degree become a bad thing? Seriously, who out there isnt interested in "physical atributes" as you put it? ...alot of the ladies responses mention having nice things and letting you know they do must mean they are inadequate in other areas. Where is the logic in that??? Hmmm seems to be a spinoff of the thought that all people with money are uncaring snobs...now there's a myth perpetuated by those with no assests giving reason to why they choose to live that way.

DON'T listen to them guys, they want you to think they love you only for the little boy you are inside and they dont care if you've gone bankrupt twice and live with your buddy Steve, your in your late 40's and the bank repo'd your car, and they are LYING!

(Oh yes, and if you have a lovely home a good job and drive a nice car they dont want to know that, no no, instead they want the picture of the puppy to be yours!)...lol...they are all so sweet and innocent little angels, no make that school girls who like to roll around on beds and take pictures of themselves.

I want a man to have compassion for others, gentle with women and children, and aggressive when he needs to be, articulate, confident, smart, sexy and successful at whatever career he has chosen. I find that attractive. If you have been successful in the game of LIFE that sir is a good thing and IS a reflection of who you are!
 Arianna
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:22:13 PM

I want a man to have compassion for others, gentle with women and children, and aggressive when he needs to be, articulate, confident, smart, sexy and successful at whatever career he has chosen.

How can you tell if he is all the above with nothing to go on except photos and a profile that only mentions material goods. It also has no bearing on if he is successful or not. He could be financially irresponsible and carrying a huge load of debt.
 Antonia2
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:36:38 PM
Absolutely true Arianna...there are no guarantees and we do know men lie, for that matter women too. The profile as I see it is only meant to give you a snapshot of who this person is. I think we have all gone to meet a man/woman who face to face is NOTHING like their profile. I think the statement you made about a profile ONLY mentioning material goods is extreme. Most men will tell you a little about the sensitive side too. My position is simply that men/women are fine mentioning whatever they are proud of and if that is a beautiful cottage or a great career that is good too. Hey, we need to be real here!
 Arianna
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:45:21 PM
I agree a profile is only a snapshot of a much bigger picture. I have no problem with photos or a brief mention of something they are proud to own but I have read far too many where materialism is the extent of the whole profile. To me, that is a major turn off when he does not even make an attempt to reveal a personal side of himself.
 Natscha
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/31/2006 3:23:16 AM
Antonia2

First off, remember the context of this thread - a profile with a list of personal acquisitions. It is obvious from the title of this thread (to me at least), that we are talking about those profiles (and I have seem them) where the person is exhibiting material possessions as a status symbol.

your msg 54

and in society we measure success with material possessions, like it or not:)

Well like it or not, I will not allow society to dictate my definition of success!

You have, however, just got to the very heart of the matter. So what if society measures success by material possessions? Those I admire, and I admit they are in a minority, will not be dictated to by the standards of society and will certainly not allow society, or anyone/anything for that matter, to define their personal worth!

msg 67

When did having a successful career and a University degree become a bad thing?

Did someone here say that? Still looking for the post…

I deliberately used career LEVEL and educational LEVEL as apposed to choice of work, or field of study. I am always interested in a person’s choice of work or field of study – these things tell a lot about how a person thinks, their strengths, talents, passions and so on. It is obvious to me from how someone presents the information, whether or not they are dependent on these things as a means of evaluating their worth.

I have been fortunate to have had close contact with people from all walks of life; I have enjoyed lengthy conversations with aristocrats, homeless folk, the extremely wealthy, the famous, the “nobodies” of this world, the “beautiful”, the not-so, those with a top formal-education, the illiterate, etc. In any of these circles you can find those who derive their sense of worth from either within themselves or from external possessions.

Listen to me guys, here’s one woman who is not interested in your boat, your fancy car, your high-status career – trade them against a MIND I could fall in love with… oh, but that’s right… all the wealth in the world cannot purchase that… hmmm…..

For those of you dependent on THINGS and achievements for your sense of value in society – well, I’m sure you’ve got better things to do; remember the joneses are ever busy trying to outdo you – you gotta keep ahead of them - you know how sh*tty you feel when don’t keep up… hurry get busy, show them who you are – and hold very tightly to those those THINGS that define you – cause if you lose them, you’ll be nothing…
 billybobjimbo
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/31/2006 8:50:45 AM
Well what about women who post photos of their pets and not themselves. Or sensual photos and get bent out of shape when a guy writes some sexy e-mail. Or the ones that show them standing by their motorcycle, or fancy cars? Women do it also. I have seen more than one that would just post a photo of their motorcycle on here also.

Nothing wrong with a hobby. If someone rides a bike, its a lifestyle and it is part of them so it should be included with them. If they race boats nothing wrong with showing a photo of what they do. I had a photo of my bike someone asked me about it. Its what I like to do. If you don't like it, then it's your problem.
 caroldarling
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2006 9:15:50 AM
Well, men are into their toys! Why not! They should be busy with what they enjoy! I say keep them busy & happy! Since when a man is happy........he can easily make you happy! ;o)
 Tigress
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2006 9:32:14 AM
I don't see anything wrong with, if it's a couple of shots with vehicles. I personally have a photo of my vehicle on my profile. I think a person's choice of vehicles may give you a glimse into their personality. The same goes for a person's pets.

Of course, if it looks like you are just showing off, like there's a pic of everything you own, that may be going a bit too far. It may look like bragging! Of course, that also says something about the person's personality!

Like for instance, OP, Goddess, I can tell from looking at your photos that you are proud of your breasts, you like hot pink, and you like to dress sexy, maybe even a bit of a show off! I like those boots!

Antonia2
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/31/2006 1:12:38 PM
I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year! Especially all the people who agree with me! Lol...Seriously, lets have a super 2007 and discuss, disagree and maybe fall in love but for sure enjoy each other

Nice car Tigress, you should be proud!
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Ladies What Do You think Of Mens Profiles That List Their Toys,Cars,Boats,Etc.