Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > OMG... Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 101
view profile
History
OMG... Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

If you're really with a man, then you're with him. It's not "he's my ... ," but "I'm his."

No, it's both, or neither. No one owns anyone else technically, so if "he's my...." won't work - then "I'm his..." would be equivalent, and wouldn't fly either.
 Sensitive P. Ness
Msg: 102
OMG... Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???
Posted: 12/22/2008 2:07:39 PM
Well, this may come across sounding like my head is inflated....................

But, you can just call me the P. Nuss
 casperella
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/23/2008 6:10:57 AM
Just say -THIS IS MY FRIEND so and so...Thats what I do. Until you feel confortable saying boyfriend. You can still say boyfriend in your 30's. Heck my mother has a boyfriend and she's 60!
 candid_1
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2008 7:57:32 PM
^^^^ but that's partly my point - we think its cute when geriatrics say bf/gf... cute makes me cringe and I feel like I'm 12... "This guy I'm seeing" is long winded and TMI for the average bear... I think part of my dilemma was I wasn't comfortable with the relationship and as a result wasn't comfortable with a label for him beyond his actual name.

...F uck puppet worked well.
 wannashakeyourtree
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/28/2008 12:49:14 PM
are you sure you're over 30???

Cause I'm hearing a big pink wearing Hanna Montana fan here...
 eyetech
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/28/2008 1:12:21 PM
How is this?

"Fred & Ethel I'd like for you to meet my friend, Desi." (Simple and uncomplicated, no further explanations needed)

"Fred & Ethel I'd like to introuduce you to my roommate, Desi." (If you are in fact living together)

"Desi, I'd like for you to meet my friends Fred & Ethel." (Use this one and you don't need to explain anything)
 skoochie
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 4:28:03 PM
If you don't like the word term b/f then don't use it. But, it's very normal at any age to call your SO your b/f or g/f. I don't know what the hang up is. It makes you feel like a teenager? What's wrong with feeling young? Go for it. Feel young. It won't hurt.
 surrealizm74
Msg: 108
Posted: 12/28/2008 7:23:35 PM
I used to refer to my b/f as my man and he used to call me his girl
 HoneyI`mHome
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/28/2008 11:00:52 PM

What do you call them?

i usually call them by their name.. ..
 electrawiz
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/29/2008 6:11:19 PM
Why don't you call him Russel? Then when they meet him just call him your love muscle?!!
 sunshine0626
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/4/2009 12:18:44 AM
When dating someone, I call them my friend. Or just "this guy I'm seeing". When in an exclusive relationship, I call him my boyfriend. I don't think that really changes much. Or I guess you could call him your Man Friend and you his Lady Friend. It means the same thing.
 suanjega
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/4/2009 3:02:17 PM
I skipped to the last page so I don't know if I am repeating. At the church social: "This is 'his name' ." Or, "My gentleman friend said 'something'."

My personal favorite is Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she says, "I'm just using him for sex."

I think part of my dilemma was I wasn't comfortable with the relationship and as a result wasn't comfortable with a label for him beyond his actual name.

This probably says it all. Just call him your friend. Relationships should start as friendships first anyway. They should also continue as friendships, however some do not.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to call him. Blessings ~ suanjega
 m_church
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2009 4:38:27 PM
How about like the police do it....

"This is my person of interest"?
 windypace2600
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/4/2009 9:32:03 PM
Gosh I hope I never get over gushing and blushing...

A man that makes me blush... well I must REALLY like him...

As for what to call him... I usually just call them my "friend" until he makes a distinction.
 nedly
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/5/2009 8:41:21 PM
I'm in business with my older sister and we are often mistaken for husband and wife. when people ask she simply says "No we are not married we just used to live together. "
My reply line is "I left her some time ago for another woman."

The only problem is I'm now looking for another woman and everyone assumes my sister is my ex!!
 julieMP
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/5/2009 8:47:40 PM
I usually say "This is Scott, my sweety"

I randomly picked the name Scott to use in this example, not because he was the best sweety I ever had or anything.
 PurePrairieGirl
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/9/2009 2:18:58 PM
for a long time he was introduced by name or as "my friend Tom" when being introduced to "my sister, Sue" or my "friend from work, Lisa" or "James, my landscaper." (giving him equal clues who they were or in what context i might have mentioned them or how long i might want to linger.) even after he started calling me his "girl", i wasn't sure so i didn't add any other label and, since he was over 40 and i was over 30, "boyfriend" would've sounded odd to me. after a very long time i finally refered to him in conversation as my beau. but there are plenty of stupid/insensative/nosey people who upon introducation will ask "so are you a couple/together/esclusive/going to get married?" or "is this serious?" or whatever. to that sort i've learned to smile and say "wow, i never expected anyone to ask that." and then i quickly change the subject. this is the same sort of response i used to give people who asked if i was pregnant yet or wanted children or if we were trying yet. i'm a very private person and i don't think his mother's neighbor or people i ride the bus with or co-workers or his distant cousin or whoever need to know that sort of thing. they may not think it's inappropriate or unacceptable to ask but i can respond without being hateful or being cornered and just maybe they'll think twice before tredding there again.
 nobrumski
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 11:05:32 PM
On one of the podcasts I listen to the couple refer to each other as their seriouso, pronounced ser-i-oso.

They came up with the term after dating for several years and never knowing what to call each other since boyfriend doesn't sound right but at the same time they aren't married or engaged. Personally I like it and thinks it fits for serious couples who just haven't gone onto engagement/marriage and might not plan to.
 darlaaaaa
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/11/2009 7:54:25 AM
You may find this ridiculous, but I think it's cute... I'm also over 30 and my friend likes to call her significant other her "special friend"! Could go either way, couldn't it?
 Spence56
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/11/2009 8:19:48 AM
Personally, I think that introducing a new person to family and friends is a lot like introducing them to children. Generally, I don't introduce anyone to anyone unless it's become very serious and we are actually thinking about marriage. It seems unfair to spend a lot of time introducing different people to family and friends only to have the relationship end. Even family and friends get to "like or dislike" anyone you bring to meet them. So it seems mean to do that when you don't know if it's anticipating a long term thing.

The title thing I just ignore. Just telling someone their name is usually enough. The fact that you are together, PDOAs, etc. they can label it however they want. Well, that's what I think anyway...
 DLo!
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 10:30:53 AM
I use their name!
 candid_1
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 1:00:56 PM
^^^ I guess awkward questions are only awkward to those who.... er, never mind. And what do you do when they ask coyly, "and who's ????"... that was usually where I'd start to stammer, hem, and haw... I so hate the label "boyfriend"... Pureprairiegirl - you truly get what I mean... but "special friend" IMO sounds like my period or someone who needed a different table in the school cafeteria... ewwwh...
 Chantico
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 1:50:52 PM
I've always like Gentleman Caller which is a bit old fashioned but works for me. If you're intimate, you could refer to him as your lover...
 4lovinglee
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 7:43:37 PM
that should be simple, but then people ask other questions, so i say he is my friend and add at the moment that is where it stands.
best of luck
 DocElffington
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 12:15:23 PM
My "Prospect" ???
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > OMG... Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???