Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > OMG... Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 spacetolet
Msg: 126
OMG... Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I like Gentleman Baller, it combines old fashioned gentility with crass post modernism.

Too Mr Provocative, I was thinking along artistic rather than philosophical lines.

Still nails on blackboard...yes, i think I have achieved my goal.

Screeeeech!!!!
 DocElffington
Msg: 127
view profile
History
OMG... Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???
Posted: 1/25/2009 12:29:37 PM
Oh, I'm sure that would be like nails on the chalkboard to todays' philosophizers.
 barbee1970
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 12:43:10 PM
I don't see anything wrong with boyfriend, or if he's a platonic or a co-worker, I might say he's my friend. My co-workers sometimes call me the wife or fiancee as I am not seeing anybody. They love to tease.
 ChickLitSmile
Msg: 129
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:56:43 PM

Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???

When I saw the headline in the threads, I thought it was about the dismay a woman must have felt when a man saw her body and said, "Is that your a**?"
And she said, "No, c'mon, I'm over 30; they're my breasts."

I guess I enthusiastically jumped to a conclusion....

I call them my "Guy friends." (my dates, not my boobs, although that could be true...
 i like cats
Msg: 130
Posted: 1/27/2009 11:06:29 PM
Boyfriend............
 Yor-on
Msg: 131
Posted: 3/22/2010 9:42:18 PM
How about my 'Sweetiepie'?

That should make them think..
And. "He's low calorie ya'now"?

If they keep on asking, I mean.
That should also make them think..
And possibly blush?

(long time no see btw & good on you girl:)
 Cookie121603
Msg: 132
Posted: 3/22/2010 10:02:42 PM
Can I put a "Hello, My Name Is: BF who comes over some times because we live far away and hell I love the sex and him..." sticky on him?

PregnantLady
Msg: 133
Posted: 3/23/2010 7:47:01 AM
Boyfriend or my guy
 amorouscouple
Msg: 134
Posted: 3/23/2010 2:14:34 PM
If you are not comfortable with the boyfriend title and calling him simply by his name seems to leave him undefined in some way then I suppose you need to ask yourself what role he really is playing in your life. If you are sexually involved then lover is appropriate as long as you do not mind raising a few eyebrows. If the relationship is new and you are not yet intimate, friend seems appropriate as that, essentially, is what he is. If it is long term but not at the fiance stage, significant other sometimes works and if you want to be facetious and are serious about each other the term, "other half or better half" is used often.

Labels are really for other people to be able to put your relationship into a category they can relate to anyway so what you choose to call anyone you are involved with should really be a matter of what the two of you agree is comfortable for both of you
 _NorthernBoy_
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2010 11:11:36 AM
I got a kick out of my last g/f. I was identified publicly as "The Wallet". I got a chuckle out of that, as did most.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 136
Posted: 3/26/2010 1:35:34 PM

The topic of what the heck to call him came up when I was trying to explain to friends that I was seeing someone. I struggled to label him - what??

A guy you're seeing. Just what you called it. What do you call him? A guy you're seeing. If it's really casual, you can put a "casual" in there, too. Not too hard.

There is an old similar thread of what do you call them? SO, b/f, g/f

You call them an SO, BF/GF if you two are a couple.

Should their label change with age? Teenyboppers and geriatrics regularly have b/fs, g/fs and we all think it cute - but what do the middle aged call their whatevers?

No, it doesn't change with age. People from age 14 to 74 call someone their girlfriend or boyfriend. Teenyboppers may use other terms, but girlfriend/boyfriend are very clear-cut words, used in every generation.

What you are with someone is by what you do, not what you wish to label it, btw. I try to make things simple with a 3-step rule. There can be gray-areas in between, sure, but most of the time, it's a good way to know where you're at:

1) Pre-Dating. Much like "pre-season"... they're exhibition games (dates/outings), but you two aren't Dating (yet?). Everything from approaching someone and exchanging numbers, to the # of dates you can count on your fingers (usually). What defines it is that your free-time lives don't really mesh, or if they are starting to, not much time has gone by yet. You seeing them again is set more or less by -plans-, not by routine. You're not a couple, but when out, you are treated like that, since it is a "pre-season" game, if you will. People who like FWB or "take it slow", are suspended in this phase or a slight modification of it.

2) Dating. Your free-time lives mesh to a good degree, but not necessarily that much on your lives as a whole. It's become a given & routine (hence the ING in Dating), that you two are going to see each other, no questions asked. Ex: You get a call from a friend and they ask what you're doing this weekend, and you'd reflexively say, "Dunno quite yet... Bob and I are probably going to BW3 or [such-and-such-place] on Fri or Sat. What do you have lined up?" It's routine... you are a couple, but not necessarily serious. You see each other frequently that has established a routine of sorts... and whether you like it or not, you ARE Dating, with or without any official-like fancy 'dates' set up. You're an item. No thoughts of any 'plans' needed when it comes to seeing each other; it's gotten beyond that point. Cheating/fidelity/betrayal has set in.

3) Established Relationship. This is where, whether you like it or not, are boyfriend/girlfriend... meaning you are a couple. It's not that much of your free-time lives mesh, but your lives in general mesh. You've gone through time of the Dating phase, and now, you may find a good portion of clothes at his place, or have met the parents as an item... stuff like that.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2010 5:31:18 PM
No, it doesn't change with age. People from age 14 to 74 call someone their girlfriend or boyfriend. Teenyboppers may use other terms, but girlfriend/boyfriend are very clear-cut words, used in every generation.

My SO was glad when he found out we were exclusive and he could refer to me as his girlfriend. He was also happy when I wanted to call him my boyfriend. He was a little surprised that sometimes I refer to him as an SO when writing on here. I was just going with what seems to be popular but we have no problem with still using the term bf/gf. He is 50 and I am 38.

My older sister who is in her mid 40's felt uncomfortable introducing her boyfriend as that and just said friend. She said it was because it felt like teenagers but I think it has more to do with her being confused about her feelings for the guy she is seeing.

Quote from him when I first asked if we were exclusive.

I’m glad you brought up subject I didn’t know how you would react if I referred to you as my girlfriend.

Why are so many over age 30 people afraid of using the title boyfriend/girlfriend? There is nothing wrong with it.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 138
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:48:04 AM

My older sister who is in her mid 40's felt uncomfortable introducing her boyfriend as that and just said friend. She said it was because it felt like teenagers but I think it has more to do with her being confused about her feelings for the guy she is seeing.

Absolutely it was confusion about her feelings. Just saying "friend" is just as teenage as "boyfriend". A good example of boyfriend/girlfriend not being a teenage thing, just watch the news about people who are older (politicians, famous people, missing people, etc). They refer to it as boyfriend/girlfriend without hesitation.

I think a lot of people are just "scared" of making a commitment public, because when you do, it makes it more solidified... and if they have any second thoughts about concretely committing to someone for the long haul, they won't want to use that term. But there are other "softer" terms they can use instead in the suffix of "That is Bob, ...". You can say "the guy I'm seeing", "the guy I'm dating", "the guy I'm going out with".

Saying "friend" means you don't want a commitment with them at that point. Saying it's due to an age thing is a total cop-out. :)
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2010 10:22:35 AM
I think a lot of people are just "scared" of making a commitment public, because when you do, it makes it more solidified... and if they have any second thoughts about concretely committing to someone for the long haul, they won't want to use that term. But there are other "softer" terms they can use instead in the suffix of "That is Bob, ...". You can say "the guy I'm seeing", "the guy I'm dating", "the guy I'm going out with".

I agree and she is still confused if they should be more than friends. I say if she is having that many doubts no point in delaying it any longer but she hates being alone or starting over.

Saying "friend" means you don't want a commitment with them at that point. Saying it's due to an age thing is a total cop-out. :)

If you are sure about the relationship being serious most people no matter the age are proud to use the terms boyfriend/girlfriend. Man friend and lady friend don't have the exclusive sound to it.

I'm definitely over 30 (bordering the next milestone forum) and I recently entered a committed relationship (okay, as committed as I can mentally handle without running, screaming). The topic of what the heck to call him came up when I was trying to explain to friends that I was seeing someone. I struggled to label him - what??

This says why the OP was not comfortable with the terms. She was not really wanting a serious relationship with this man. The same reason my sister felt better just introducing her bf as a friend.
 SISunshine
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2010 12:35:40 PM
My sister has been living with a guy for going on 12 years. They are a married couple in all ways except legally, I call him my brother-in-law and my kids call him uncle, because that's what he is; my mom, dear, proper, old-fashioned stick-in-the-mud that she is, refers to him as my sister's "fella", as in "Yes, Suzy and her fella are still together, yes, they're very happy" and will probably still be calling him that when they've been together 50 years. She literally squirms when someone asks her how long my sister and bil have been married and she has to tell them that they've been together 12 years, but that they're not married. To some people, the title is just that important, even if it's just trying to figure out whether to call them boyfriend or girlfriend or my SO or what-have-you.
 txlavendar
Msg: 141
Posted: 3/29/2010 5:36:11 PM
My Man, SO, Boyfriend, etc are all fine in my book.

After all, my best pals are called my Girl Friends. Not Women Friends, or Fellow Mid-Life Croonies :-)
 georgie34
Msg: 142
Posted: 4/3/2010 11:25:39 AM
This is very hilarious!!!!
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 143
Posted: 4/3/2010 4:05:21 PM
This is hilarious!
A few years ago I started seriously dating this girl.
One night we went to a pub to meet a group of my friends for the first time. Well, we get there and when I introduced her i said this is (name) and kind of froze...I didn't know what to label her.
She saved me though....she beamed a huge smile and put her hand out and exclaimed: "I'm his dirty little whore!"
My friends where shocked for like 30 seconds...they all smiled and shook her hand one by one then laughed and said: " You're the MAN!...does she have any sisters?" That was a great save!
 repair-guy
Msg: 144
Posted: 4/3/2010 7:36:12 PM
Reminds me of the guy who said "I don't have a girl-friend, but there is a woman who would be really upset to know"!
 _Icon_
Msg: 145
Posted: 4/4/2010 12:53:47 AM
I always introduce him as my Hot Molten Man Candy.

If you're in a hurry just tell people he is your lovah...but you have to say it with a fake French accent.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 146
Posted: 4/4/2010 4:24:08 PM
I like Lover. I also call him my choir boy, cause we make each other sing the high notes.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2012 7:10:59 AM
People know even if you don't announce it. :)
You can just simply say "OH, by the way, this is my friend Bob." Or simply "This is Bob."
And of course, delivery counts and brings so much meaning to it.
 day-trader
Msg: 148
Posted: 4/29/2012 4:02:16 PM
Bird, other half, misses or partner. Those are terms that are used here in the UK. Some women don't like being called birds but blokes still do it amoungst their mates.
 day-trader
Msg: 149
Posted: 4/29/2012 5:03:10 PM
One thing I forgot to mention, it's not acceptable to introduce a partner as your lover in the UK.

A lover is someones bit on the side.
 1womanman33
Msg: 150
Posted: 4/29/2012 5:49:36 PM
Eh...I think girlfriend/boyfriend are perfectly acceptable.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > OMG... Is that your ? NO come on.. I'm over 30... they're my ???