Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Sarah's Law Gives Mothers Right To Make 'Sex Checks' !!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Variola
Msg: 76
Sarah's Law Gives Mothers Right To Make 'Sex Checks' !!Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

if you have nothing to hide" brigade, it is a far more pernicious view. It is both more widely held, and more openly expressed, and yet it has a similar potential to cause far reaching and permanent damage, both to individuals and society at large.

Indeed. Its the same argument held by the proponents of ID cards.
 1LOVEJELLY
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Sarah's Law Gives Mothers Right To Make 'Sex Checks' !!
Posted: 9/16/2008 9:23:41 AM
I think its very sexist.
Not all men are child molesters.
Women do it too, look at Rose West and Moira Hindley, so therefore do single women vet all the ladies that they invite over for coffee.
Our society is becoming so insular and this will make it shrink far more.
And I still maintain that most child abusers are known to the family, uncle cousin etc.
It is unfair and I'm sure it will cause more harm than good.
Innocent men will suffer because of a small minority of womens inability to make better options in their choice of partners.

Maybe single women will just have to come to the conclusion that if all men are **stards then maybe they should wait until their children grow up and leave home or become lesbians.
Since when are single women the ONLY vulnerable people in society.

The more I think of this, the less I like it.

And while we are on the subject of Sarah Paynes family, when they were all over the press, they looked a fairlu uneducated inadequate couple and maybe they should have kept a keener eye on where there chuildren were.
Just like Maddies thoughless mum and dad.

Why is society to blame for their errors of judgement?
I never left my children alone, ergo no one took them.

It makes my blood boil. If you cant cope with the job, don't have children.
 badge34
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/16/2008 9:28:15 AM
Ahh hang em high! the film with clint eastwood who sets about a town who wrongly hanged him if im correct? wonder if people will see the point im making? ...
 pmb00cs
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/16/2008 9:29:29 AM

Indeed. Its the same argument held by the proponents of ID cards.
It is the same argument that is/has been rolled out for ID cards, Enhanced CRB checks, increased CCTV, RIPA, longer detention of suspects, etc.

It is such a simple statement. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. It appears so reasonable. How could anyone possibly object? But it ignores one basic truth. Having something to hide is not morally or legally objectionable. Why should we pass up our privacy for the possibility that maybe, someone, somewhere, may possibly do something that the authorities may find interesting. I find the overly voyeuristic tendency of the current government, and society at large, to want to pry where it has no proper right to be looking, because they might spot something to be incredibly objectionable. And this law is no different. You want to know about someone's past, ask them, if you don't trust them keep them away from your life, and the lives of your kids. How ****ing difficult is that?
 pantsonfire
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 9:34:42 AM
I was wondering how to word how I felt.... ^^^ Put it perfectly ....

How would you feel if you got it wrong and caused an innocent man(or woman) to lose his job, family, home, because of you?

What if they became depressed and committed suicide or died at the hands of a vigilante? Is it acceptable 'collateral damage' just because it's not your child? It's still someones child that might die through this law and no one single innocent is less important than another ....
 Variola
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/16/2008 9:40:10 AM

It is such a simple statement. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. It appears so reasonable. How could anyone possibly object? But it ignores one basic truth. Having something to hide is not morally or legally objectionable. Why should we pass up our privacy for the possibility that maybe, someone, somewhere, may possibly do something that the authorities may find interesting. I find the overly voyeuristic tendency of the current government, and society at large, to want to pry where it has no proper right to be looking, because they might spot something to be incredibly objectionable. And this law is no different. You want to know about someone's past, ask them, if you don't trust them keep them away from your life, and the lives of your kids. How ****ing difficult is that?

I couldn't agree more. But the government tend to use laws like this to 'snake' in the idea that its ok for anyone to check anyone else's record at anytime. Once its established that society will accept that... then its quite ok for them to check up on anyone at anytime , which they do anyway they just don't make it public.
What id this law was used to check up on employees? Or tennants? Will the check disclose whether they have any criminal record at all> Or just if they are on the sex offenders list?
If my future potential partner, had been an armed robber, or been convicted of a serious assault but not a sex offender, would I know this?
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 10:18:15 AM
I wonder why the simple option of tagging convicted child sexual offenders for life can't be used. For life may seem extreme but their actions will live with the child forever, a constant reminder of what some sicko has done to them.

The tags would have to be different from standard 'minor' offence tagging but would be visible for anyone to see. Maybe it should be a collar - treat them like the uncontrollable animals they are. I think that everyone has a right to know if a child abuser is in their community. Do I care what happens to them, no sorry I don't. I do care about innocent people being caught up. I do care about other children being at risk.

So what if child abusers get hounded out of town (sorry but I just can't have any sympathy for people as depraved as these) - with a tag they should find it difficult to 'go underground', they will also not be able to hide their past and even children could be educated to avoid tagged people in the same way as they are educated to avoid running into busy roads. Tags would avoid innocent people being victims - if you are not tagged, you have committed no crime.

I will not think of Child molesters as human - they are worse than animals. The thought of what they do to little innocent children makes me sick to my stomach.

I am so thankful my daughter is now an adult but one day she will no doubt have children of her own and we will protect them in every possible way we can.

I'm sure my view is far too simplistic and wouldn't work for one reason or another, mainly because the perpetrators of these crimes would never be 'free' to get on with their lives. Oh, just like the thousands of adult's who try to live with the after effects of being abused as children. The effects of abuse do not go away as kids grow into adulthood - it is with them for life, and often prevents them from living a 'normal' life.
 shexygirl
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/16/2008 10:28:31 AM
oh found this to:

To alley concerns about vigilantism, a strict confidentiality agreement would be drawn up between the applicant and the police which, if breached, could lead to prosecution

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1042102/Police-set-trial-Sarahs-Law-reveal-identities-paedophiles-worried-parents.html

Just incase macforty said i didnt actually post a link to the mention of a confidentiality agreement. I had actually watched the news where they mentioned it .
 1LOVEJELLY
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 10:37:54 AM
message 88.
Oh well thats alright then.

This is the goverment that prosecutes motorists far more than thieves, murderers or rapists put together. This is the government that looses computor discs on an almost monthly basis. Am I comforted by their efforts thus far, no!

So someone found to be breaching the agreement will get a talking to, maybe fine or even an asbo and then some poor innocent guys life remains in tatters.

Sorry but I am not convinced.
 Variola
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/16/2008 10:59:57 AM

So what if child abusers get hounded out of town (sorry but I just can't have any sympathy for people as depraved as these) - with a tag they should find it difficult to 'go underground', they will also not be able to hide their past and even children could be educated to avoid tagged people in the same way as they are educated to avoid running into busy roads. Tags would avoid innocent people being victims - if you are not tagged, you have committed no crime.

Its not about having sympathy... its the fact that hounding out of town just moved them onto another town who dont know about them, They can also get another ID. Vurently they are required to register witht he local police, but if every time they do that they are hounded out of town or subject to assult, they will move on and not register, and away from police radars they are even more dangerous.
Tags achieve nothing as they are dependant on the criminal wearing them, they can be cut off or removed and the sex offender disappears.

As for confidentiality being breeched, it will happen. Who is their right mind would find out someone is a sex offender, then not warn other parents whose child may be on contact with the offender.
 AlmaM
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/16/2008 11:00:19 AM

I'm sure my view is far too simplistic and wouldn't work for one reason or another, mainly because the perpetrators of these crimes would never be 'free' to get on with their lives. Oh, just like the thousands of adult's who try to live with the after effects of being abused as children. The effects of abuse do not go away as kids grow into adulthood - it is with them for life, and often prevents them from living a 'normal' life.

It wouldn't work because the predators are among the teachers, judges, law makers, doctors.. so the people 'in position' would not allow it.

Same as they are not allowing the tougher sentences for the predators right now.

Our judges still FREE some predators as the 13 year old girl they abused was 'ASKING FOR IT'.. so what further can be said..

And opposite to 'a wrongly accused innocent man loosing his business and family' there is a situation of another "collateral damage".. and that is 'the abuser keeping his job and his family' and the whole thing 'hidden under the carpet' so the peace around can be preserved .. only poor innocent children stay victims forever and have to live with the things done to them..

And I can only imagine how frustrating is it for the police to know what these people have done to children and see them serve only few months for their actions.

And how possibly can Sarah's Law drive the predators underground when there is already the law which orders the convicted offenders to report the change of their residence.?
If they do not, they end up on the Police's wanted list and their face is widely advertised on the net/crime stoppers etc..
 Macforty
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/16/2008 11:09:39 AM

Sarah's Law gives mothers right to make 'sex checks' on partners.
By Nigel Morris, Home Affairs Correspondent
Monday, 15 September 2008

Moves to give single mothers the power to check whether new partners are sex offenders could encourage malicious campaigns against innocent men and drive paedophiles underground, the Home Office has been warned.
Thousands of parents and guardians will from today gain the formal right to ask police to look into the background of people who have unsupervised access to their children.
The scheme is being launched in four areas initially, with a view to extending it nationwide. Ministers said the initiative would help to protect children, but critics warned they could prompt vigilante attacks.

"Mothers concerned about a new partner will be able to register their concerns with police who will run an initial check within 24 hours followed by a more detailed investigation into a man's background taking up to 10 days. If he is found to be a convicted sex offender, the mother will be warned and given advice on protecting her children."

"Police would need to be convinced the investigation was not prompted by malice. And mothers are being warned they cannot pass on information about a man without permission by police. Those who refuse to keep it secret could be prosecuted. "

The moves are being launched on a trial basis over the next year in Warwickshire, Southampton, Stockton-on-Tees and Peterborough.
The initiative is a response to the "Sarah's Law" campaign that followed the murder of eight-year-old Sarah Payne by a convicted paedophile, Roy Whiting.
It falls far short of the widespread publication of sex offenders' names and addresses demanded by its supporters, but still provoked concerns among children's and penal reform groups. Barnardo's warned that existing laws were inadequate to prevent information about sex offenders being spread within communities – and to stop innocent people falling foul of malicious complaints. It also said that the moves would force paedophiles underground, making it harder to track them.
James Welch, the legal director of Liberty, added: "The threat of prosecuting the concerned mum who tells her neighbour is unenforceable nonsense."
Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, said the pilots were a "huge step forward". She said: "I want to see every child living their lives free from fear."

Thank you for posting the entire link I had already provided in the OP for posters to check out.
Please see OP............
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sarahs-law-gives-mothers-right-to-make-sex-checks-on-partners-930853.html

And the hypothectical post WAS clear for some reason you just want to jump down my throat all the time ! I have now answered my own question about what happens if you do open your big gob in the two paragraphs i have put in quotation marks and separated from the rest of the ariticle.

Great debating skills ,and thanks for bringing NOTHING new to the debating table to strengthen your ahem ......"debate"

Confidential agreement ? I didnt know there was one , can you supply the link please as the article dosent mention one?

I asked .................

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1042102/Police-set-trial-Sarahs-Law-reveal-identities-paedophiles-worried-parents.html

Just incase macforty said i didnt actually post a link to the mention of a confidentiality agreement. I had actually watched the news where they mentioned it .

You supplied.......thank you !!

Firstly macforty i cant believe you have started a thread without knowing all the facts of sarahs law.

Please read the OP properly , you may have overlooked the link supplied !!

madbadsteve
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/16/2008 11:10:11 AM
This is all about building a climate of fear allowing us to let the goverment take more and more control of our lives "for our protection". CCTV, DNA databases, Biometric passports, tracking all emails and web hits, tracking all mobile phone locations and calls, ID cards, Tracking all car number plates and journeys, 42 day detention without trial or charge and now they are looking to allow anyone to search and check up on anybody else in case they are a child molester.
Did you know 25% of the worlds CCTV cameras are in the UK and that if you travel through a city you are caught on camera an average of 300 times a day. We are in a survalience society and we all should be worried that fereedoms we all take for granted are being eroded at a alarming rate. The actual, real threat to any person, adult or child, from terrorisim or sex offenders is TINY. The actual number of children murdered in the UK very small yet the measures being brought in are massively disproportionate and invade all of our lives. The same with terrorisim, the number of people in the UK that have died through terrorisim in the last 10 years is less than the number that will die on the roads of the UK this month.
What makes children and individuals safe is responsible caring communities and families backed up by caring and professional goverment services not more and more severe legistlation
 AlmaM
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/16/2008 11:19:17 AM

This is all about building a climate of fear allowing us to let the goverment take more and more control of our lives

No. This is about controlling convicted offenders trying to re-offend.

Nothing to do with controlling you and me
 1LOVEJELLY
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 11:19:48 AM
I agree with you madbadsteve.

Cameras do not prevent ALL crime.

Police checks do not prevent ALL crime.

There is a growing trend for adult professionals leaving our shores and I can quite see why.
 Variola
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/16/2008 11:28:39 AM

And how possibly can Sarah's Law drive the predators underground when there is already the law which orders the convicted offenders to report the change of their residence.?
If they do not, they end up on the Police's wanted list and their face is widely advertised on the net/crime stoppers etc..

Im not going to explain that one again... I have done several times so far. Please do re-read the thread.

he actual, real threat to any person, adult or child, from terrorisim or sex offenders is TINY. The actual number of children murdered in the UK very small yet the measures being brought in are massively disproportionate and invade all of our lives. The same with terrorisim, the number of people in the UK that have died through terrorisim in the last 10 years is less than the number that will die on the roads of the UK this month.

We are singing from the same songsheet here... totally agree.
 badge34
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/16/2008 12:05:54 PM
People in this country just dont see the whole picture from this government! it always has hidden agendas and uses the press to do there spin. just out of interest how they gonna prove there trial is working? more massaging figures?
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 12:11:25 PM
recall some article on the news, plod said they know where 99.7% of all registered paedophiles are in this country, in america it is less than 75% as due to the disclosure law, many people who the police would like to know their whereabouts have vanished due to local vigilantes taking the law into their own hands......

crime stoppers is great for the serious people, but not everyone goes onto it and who admits to trawling the net for pictures of people wanted by the plod ?

maybe it will work, only time will tell :)
 madbadsteve
Msg: 94
Posted: 9/17/2008 12:15:03 AM
Shexygirl,
the process or scenario you describe is also how a nice caring man would support his partner. I have had partners that have had children of all ages, I like kids and have never found someone having them a barrier to having a relationship.
I would often look after the kids, take them to the park, feed them, take them shopping, by them birthday and christmas presents, help them with their homework or even at times read them a bed time story. This is perfectly normal behaviour for a normal guy in a relationship when kids are involved and I would be appalled to find that my behaviour was looked upon as having some possible sinister overtones.
So lets get a sense of perspective on this. I believe the figure quoted is 30,000 on the sex offenders register. Taking the adult male population in the UK to be roughly 20 million that means 99.9% of the male population is not on the register which means the odds of any woman meeting a Pado is very remote indeed.
This is what I mean about a climate of fear. Yes it is important to be vigelent and yes it is awful if a child is abused but the odds of it happening are very remote and this approach of treat every guy as a potential sex offender is totally over the top and excessive.
 Macforty
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/17/2008 1:04:23 AM
I would often look after the kids, take them to the park, feed them, take them shopping, by them birthday and christmas presents, help them with their homework or even at times read them a bed time story.

Thats highly suspicious isnt it ? Hmmmm......being nice to kids , maybe the way forward is to be nasty to them and birch their feet with bamboo cane for not fetching your can of beer quick enough from the fridge then people will think your a sound bloke !!

Imo Of course we need to be vigilant and laws have to be in place to protect those most vunerable but laws that dont create other possible innocent victims in the process .

I hope common sense prevails and a little bit more trust in each other is restored in our society and not eroded further, after all as people have said these vile pedos are far and few between.
 Pat78
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/17/2008 1:50:20 AM
The first thing is to decide whether paedophilia is an illness or like any other crime and is down to feedom of choice . When it suits us to invoke the idea of uncontrollable urges, we do exactly that - look how readily the tabloid press appends “sick!” to any mention of child abuse. On the other hand, when it suits us to argue for the throwing away of keys, as befits any rotten but otherwise common criminal, we do that instead. The truth is, it's time to choose.
If we accept that paedophilia is an illness - and there are reasoned voices who say that it is - then, by definition, we accept it as being beyond the control of its sufferer in exactly the way that we accept schizophrenia. Therefore, we should respond as such: if a man, for reasons not remotely his fault, is posing a risk to others, he should be subject to sectioning under the Mental Health Act, with all the appropriate regret, sympathy and kindness that accompanies such a move. Given the grip of the current bogeyman frenzy, it is hard to see that one playing in Peoria; nevertheless, it would be the only humane response. Which in my opinion it is as the vast majority reoffend and claim they are doing no wrong. They are clearly suffering some form of mental illness and should be protected from others. The fact that they can be high ranking proffesionals to my mind makes no bit of difference. This would also negate the need for Sarah's law as all convicted paedophiles woul have their liberty permanately removed.
If we accept that it is a crime, however, then it is something which the perpetrator can control. He may choose to offend or not, and if he chooses what is unacceptable, again we should respond as such. We catch the **stard, try him, lock him up by way of penalty and then - this is the crucial bit - once he has served his sentence we restore his liberty. In full.
This has been the fundamental principle of justice, at least within crime and punishment, that has stood us in reasonable stead since Magna Carta. Now, just because one particular category of behaviour is exciting public consciousness - pressing, as it does, all the right buttons such as “sex” and “children” - is collective gut revulsion really enough to challenge copper-bottomed, tried, tested and trusted legal tradition? When someone has paid the price for their crimes and been released we accept that they have paid for their crimes and are once again innocent members of society, Sarah's law makes them second class citizens without the same rights as others. Do peado's require the same rights no they do not, but Sarah's law goes further and it deals with all crimes that possibly put a child at risk, so drug use, violence and alcahol related crimes can all be reported to the parent, guardian etc. Where is the rehabilitation? Do they mention it if it is 20 years ago?

We already have 30,000 people on the sex offenders register; people who paid the decreed price for their offence and now will spend the rest of their lives paying again. This sounds as titillatingly vast a number as it is meant to sound - although closer scrutiny shows that it certainly does not mean 30,000 icons of unparalleled evil are out on the loose; among those whose details are kept and lives monitored for ever, a great many are included for nothing more dreadful than slightly under-age, consensual sex. But never mind. Keep the figure high and the hysteria higher still.
Increasingly, on the back of that hysteria, authorities of law and order expect Brownie points for imposing yet more restrictions, clampdowns and controls - and, thanks also to the hysteria, they are permitted to do so without attention being paid to the anomalies thus created.
Take, for instance, a man who had sexual intercourse with a 14-year-old girl or boy. If caught, and especially if force were involved, he would expect a severe sentence - at the end of which, he would emerge into the light of day and have his every movement monitored for the rest of his natural life. And so what, you say, shedding not a tear.
Quite so. But if that same man had broken every bone in that same 14-year-old child's body, he would similarly expect a severe sentence - at the end of which the prison gates would slam behind him and he would be totally free.
law does not allow for the pre-emption of the next occurrence; when a released armed robber returns to his trade, with the accompanying risk to the lives of innocent people, he will be punished after the event, not in case of it. So why should it for paedo's?
The solution, therefore, is either to declare all those on the sex offenders register to be unwell and apply open-ended treatment, compassionately, according to the severity of their condition - or to declare them criminals, take our several pounds of flesh and let them go. Mad or bad. But we can't, in conscience, have it both ways.

So you pick.
So I went for mad, but if we have to go with bad they were about 4 years ago were going to trial new electronic tags, that are more adavanced than the prison curfew ones, and are tracked by satelite a diary is formed of movements of the convicted paedo's and at the end of each day it registers where they have been, especially if near schools and parks. It is cheaper to run the other tags and saves money in abductions etc as they can locate known paeods immediately and discount them immediately. This is what I would favour, rather than rellying on civil servants to do CRB checks on a whim of a parent or guardian.
I have taken parts of a speech by Jacqui Smith, and added too.
 shexygirl
Msg: 97
Posted: 9/17/2008 1:57:20 AM
Bingo, mad bad steve! exactly my point i described a nice caring man. Now you just realized how difficult it is in this society. I believe woman are involved in abuse if its sexual abuse and other abuses to they ususally team up with a man who they are controlled by they hardly ever work alone , like myra hindley and rose west. Both had men who controlled them. So yeah as a single women who has young kids it can be nightmare for her. But we hear these stories everyday . Just like domestic abuse stories we hear..... the drip drip drip effect. It doesnt just start like that. Wish it did then we wouldnt put up with it would we?
 Macforty
Msg: 98
Posted: 9/17/2008 2:09:04 AM
I believe woman are involved in abuse if its sexual abuse and other abuses to they ususally team up with a man who they are controlled by they hardly ever work alone , like myra hindley and rose west. Both had men who controlled them. So yeah as a single women who has young kids it can be nightmare for her. But we hear these stories everyday . Just like domestic abuse stories we hear..... the drip drip drip effect. It doesnt just start like that. Wish it did then we wouldnt put up with it would we?

Are you now saying that female paedophilia does not exist unless when coerced by a male counterpart?

What of the fact that quite often "the abused becomes the abuser " or do you think this only pertains to males ?
 pmb00cs
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/17/2008 3:04:13 AM
Ok, I'm going to attack this from a new angle.

This law is designed to protect children like Sarah Payne. Could someone explain to me how this law would have saved Sarah's life? Could someone explain to me how this law would have saved the life of Holly Wells, or Jessica Chapman? Can anyone tell me how this law would save the lives of any high profile paedophilia victim that has hit the news this decade?
 shexygirl
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/17/2008 3:19:23 AM
not saying that at all im sure there are women pedos but its very rare and it does not always follow that the abused follow on to abuse and it also depends on what abuse we are talking about. I know if its domestic violence 73% of male abusers were abused themselves or came from homes where spousal abuse was prevalent.

in this link below i have copied a paragraph from it :
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V7N-4669054-C&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=29afdda6eaf158fa8791a2e6c2f93fbd

Conclusion: It is vital in therapeutic work with boy victims of sexual abuse that the issue of their abusive potential be considered, even if a relatively small proportion of such boys will go on to abuse others. Given that boys who do sexually abuse are likely to have grown up in a climate of violence and poor care, methods of dealing with such victimization experiences need to be developed alongside offending focused treatments

This below is a very interesting article to and the comments after:
http://www.newstatesman.com/education/2007/08/young-abusers-sexual-children
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Sarah's Law Gives Mothers Right To Make 'Sex Checks' !!