Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > women and the blues music?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 badge34
Msg: 26
women and the blues music?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Tbh not heard much from burnside prehaps il download some of his stuff. i do enjoy british blues gary more, peter green, john myhill, led zep and even sabbeth startd out as a blues band hence there riffs. not forgettin the stones and the little red rooster
 enty of woth
Msg: 27
women and the blues music?
Posted: 9/16/2008 4:16:59 AM

Tbh not heard much from burnside prehaps il download some of his stuff. i do enjoy british blues gary more, peter green, john myhill, led zep and even sabbeth startd out as a blues band hence there riffs. not forgettin the stones and the little red rooster

You heard of Sean Webster? He's a young English blues player who I've worked with in the past (at the gigs there was a good cross section of age as well as plenty of ladies!), also might be worth checking out The Ainsley Lister Band, my mate plays with them and they were voted best UK blues band (or something) in Classic Rock.
 badge73
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 12:36:12 PM
For those that are interested, and the blues bints too, theres a program on bbc4 at 930pm about peter green the godfather of british blues.
 TheRealSoul
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 1:10:19 PM
well for starters. blues and r'n'b (rhythm n blues) are not the same thing.

for any blues or rhythm n blues fans or people who dont really know it get ya bootys over to memphis, beale street in particular. youll soon appreciate the true soul of all music . . . and a bloody great portion of ribs too
 TheRealSoul
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 1:27:20 PM
sonny boy williamson, muddy waters, howlin wolf, r l burnside, b b king, john lee hooker, billie holiday, dobie gray and even fleetwood mac are all great classic blues artists but blues in this day n age still lives on with the likes of seasick steve and joe bonamassa (harder blues but amazing guitarist)

I like RnB, dancy stuff and rap

scint, do you mean rhythm n blues or that over hyped noise people call RnB these days?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
 JCL1 SEQUEL
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 1:43:10 PM
I can't say I know too many women who are into the blues. I've converted a few though.
Blues music has been very influential. A lot of today's top bands and artists will admit to being influenced by blues music. I like BB King , Buddy Guy , The blind boys of Alabama and a few more besides.
 scintillation1
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/8/2009 1:50:34 PM
I like RnB, dancy stuff and rap. Don't like sad and depressing slit your wrists blues though.
 A_Cornucopia
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/8/2009 2:18:25 PM
I go to Charters, Peterborough fairly regularly (it's about all there is to commend the place) and I'd say it's about 60/40 men women - like most non mainstream gigs. My fave Blues artist is Danny Bryant ( www.redeyeband.co.uk) and he's in his 20s.

Blues is a broad genre...Ms Grundy - I prefer Ella to Billie Holiday and they both moved in and out of blues and jazz effortlessly.... and there are songs like 'Fever', 'Stormy Monday' and 'Summertime' that can move from heavy rock through to jazz with ease.... Tracy Chapman and BB King doing 'The thrill is gone' - wow.

Ms Grundy (again) MGS19 - PMSL.
 badge73
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 3:45:27 PM
Think she means the rnb who ever put it in the blues bracket needs to be put against the wall, flayed, burnt, kicked then shot soul lol i like the british blues with the animals and manfred who are touring at the mo. Did record peter green, now watching jools who i enjoy when merry lol
 Carl_79
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/8/2009 3:45:48 PM
The recording technology of the early Blues may be primitive but that doesn't mean the music is. Robert Johnson's guitar playing, for example, is incredibly sophisticated. The lyrics too were often much more 'modern' than most popular music of the time: allusive, often surreal and frequently sexually suggestive.
The idea that the Blues is 'wrist-slashing' music can only come from a vantage point of total ignorance. The Blues was played by people to escape their troubles not wallow in them.
 drinkofcoolant
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 3:56:54 PM
Actually badge, I got a message from a lady not that long ago
who approved of my Blues Taste - Eric Bibb she liked.

I also like Keb Mo... an Roben Ford and the Blue Line.

There are elements in Blues in Jazz, I like it too but prefer Modern, opposed to
the tinny sounding Traditional..

I find its depending on my mood.... if my life is falling apart then there's nothing
better to listen to than the blues.. even my dog approves
 badge73
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 4:07:58 PM
Dont forget coolant jack bruce and ginger baker were jazz players before cream lol and the drummer from the doors was jazz trained. Jazz i find ok on my ear while reading but carnt shag to it like the blues pmpl
 Cleverkitten
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 4:08:11 PM
Myself and my pregnant bump, in a t-shirt labelled BIG, went to the London Blues festival in 1991, had a blast

I spent many a dissolute sunday in Greenwich or New Cross and it's environs listening to great blues/r & b cos I knew a great band that played that way. If they didn't have a gig, a couple of them would busk around Greenwich market, so I would rock up aand enjoy. Happy Days

Bought the t-shirt too
 drinkofcoolant
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 4:11:54 PM
LOL! I certainly wouldnt try shagging to the type of Jazz I've listened
to Badge, lol. I'd probably end up requiring traction
Thats what my Nine Inch Nails is for
 TheRealSoul
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 4:32:16 PM
lol badge youre probably right there.

what you all reckoning to the grizzly bears? very 'doors'y dontcha think? lacking jim morrison's voice obviously but very cool sound

and why oh why has paulo nutini spoiled the special's monkey man?

booker made it all worthwhile though. class
 Bad Compàny
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 4:37:21 PM
Women have no musical taste, just look at the spice girls ffs, bit like their dress sense, specially some of them on here
 Cleverkitten
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 4:51:54 PM

Women have no musical taste, just look at the spice girls ffs,

I could say nor do the men that bed them lmfao (brainless/dead footballers lol)

But how many musical genius's ( is that right or is it genii ? ) have had a female muse ?
 Bad Compàny
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 5:18:37 PM
There not men, football is gay, i thought everyone knew that?

Messages this short may not be posted
Messages this short may not be posted
 A_Cornucopia
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/9/2009 4:57:53 AM
Rory! What a loss.

I was lucky enough to see him several times when I was a boy. Am trying to get my guitarist son to pay him proper attention, but he's stuck on SRV and Gary Moore.

Danny Bryant's voice has developed over the last few years - his guitar playing though is epic, has been for years; he's a showan and probaby the guru of Strat 'violining'
 littlechef
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/9/2009 1:09:08 PM
i like the blues my ipod is full of it , i find working out to BB king a blast
 Cleverkitten
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 3:59:46 AM
A friend has just recommended I listen to some Susan Tedeschi (Back to the River) not heard the whole album yet, but what I've heard so far is excellent.

Her husband Derek Trucks ain't bad either lol
 willow
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/5/2009 4:11:17 AM

You heard of Sean Webster

I have watched him a few times when he has played here and he is really good.

We just had our annual Blues festival with over 20,000 visitors to this small seaside town and it was brill as usual.

Jethro Tull, John Mayall, Eric Burton topped the list supported by Ruby Turner..
 AABRAVE
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/5/2009 4:13:21 AM
I know after this post I will be even more unpopular, but here goes:

My theory on why women don’t like the blues is all down to one song by Howlin Wolf, which is titled “300lbs of joy”

I could elaborate, but that would probably induce a hanging from the gallows pole!

up-the-dubs
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:57:38 AM

The blind boys of Alabama

What a cracking gospel blues band - BTW they are playing london jazz fest this november.

people should check out Imelda May (do search for songs such as Big bad handsome man or Johnny got a boom boom)

Blues has within itself a multitude of genres so i would find it virtually impossible to find a woman who didnt like some form of blues.
 tothefull
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/10/2009 3:56:22 AM
We have a superb music venue in Coventry, 'Taylor Johns House'
Saw David Honeyboy Edwards there, what a superb experience. I love blues music!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > women and the blues music?