Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Homemade Liqueurs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Homemade LiqueursPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Molly, this may seem a silly question, considering your location, but did you use wine grapes and not eating grapes? Did you chop them and leave them in to strain later like you did the cranberries? I don't think seeds would matter, maybe even help in the flavor. I would say you just need a lot more grapes, dark and not sweet. Maybe vbxtc will come in with some easy suggestion.

SS
 raxarsr
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/17/2009 10:56:42 PM
lets see....take 2 bushels of shelled field corn......and a bushel of dried shelled sweet corn...........put em all an a barrel and cover with good spring water for a day..........then dump the barrel and spread the corn out....let it sprout then sweep it up and grind it up.......put it back in the barrel..and fill the barrel...[a wooden barrel is best] with good spring water.....[iron free is best]............then let it ferment......[you can add some sugar...but dont go crazy]........after its fermented about a week.......check it....if its got that sour fermented smell............pour it into the copper kettle.......

uhhhhhhhh...........mebbe i oughta just hush...........
 Molly Maude
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/18/2009 2:47:35 PM
while this area is actually most famous for RAISIN grapes ... and lots of wine, too ...

nevertheless, I used big, fat, deep purple (almost black) table grapes with seeds ... I did chop them and add to the syrup while it was still hot ... there is a lot of pulp which I intend to strain out later ... the flavour is Very Mild and the colour is pale ...

I'm disappointed cuz I thot it would have a grapier flavour by now and be a rich, dark purple ...

what do you think if ... at this late stage ... I chopped and added a few cranberries to zest up the flavour and brighten the colour??? wines are blended all the time! why not cordials?!

it's really too late in the season to start over with JUST cranberries ...

sometimes I wish I wasn't quite so adventursome! a friend said it's all my fault for not squishing the grapes barefoot in a barrel ... shades of "I Love Lucy!"
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/18/2009 8:45:27 PM
Hey, in a very realistic reenactment of a BC era Bethlehem I did trod grapes on a round rock with a depression while only the juices ran down a trough carved into the rock. We did this by firelight and it was soo cool. It was a peaceful starry night. There wer so many people, but it was so realistic that people were so awed that it was nearly silent. The whole town had been built as it is supposed to have been in that time. It was quite an experience.

I still say add more grapes, not cranberries. A lot more grapes. Table grapes are very mild and the skins are needed for that color you are looking for. I know you have them, I was just saying. You say you made a syrup first, then added the grapes??? I cannot remember your first post, but I think you need to leave the grapes to soak in the vodka for a few weeks before adding sugar or syrup. At least all of the recipes I have read say that.

Good Luck Miss Molly. I hope it turns out for you.

SS
 vbxtc
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/19/2009 8:39:50 PM
so what I have is a largish amount of very bland slightly grape-flavoured vodka! Any suggestions on how I could FIX this mess? or maybe it'll improve with age?

MM
When I make grape liqueurs I always leave the grapes whole (less sediment to deal with), and they have to sit in a cool, dark place for minimum 1 month. Don't know how long yours have been fermenting. I only use Concord grapes, as there is a great deal of flavor in the skins. Think Welch's Grape Jelly on steroids. The skins also give the liqueur an awesome color, but it's more electric violet than deep, dark purple. I've never tried table grapes before.

As for trying to fix what you already have my first thoughts are to add more grapes or (preferrably) try some Welch's Grape Juice for flavor. Also it's important to add flavor layers while leaving the natural fruit taste alone. Vodka is good, but adding brandy will improve things immensely. Finally, for more depth, try adding a little vanilla and/or spice(s) such as cinnamon, ginger or nutmeg. Go easy until you find a final flavor you like, and remember you can always add more, but you can't take anything out.

As to age, I usually bottle at a month, but one or two more will make it better. After that you've got from six months to a year before it starts going downhill.

Concord Grape Liqueur

2 cups Concord grapes, carefully separated from stems and rinsed
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cinammon stick
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 drops lemon extract
1 cup 100-proof vodka
1/2 cup brandy

Place grapes, lemon extract, vanilla, cinnamon, vodka and brandy in a clean 1-quart or 1/2 gallon glass (plastic can add a bad taste) container and set aside. Make a simple syrup by bringing sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. When clear, remove from heat and heat let stand until just warm. Pour over grape mixture. Seal the container and let stand in a cool, dark place for 1 month. Strain out solids and filter through cheesecloth, or, if you have the patience, coffee filters.
 42 L F Everything
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/19/2009 9:49:28 PM
Just finished a batch of a Crab Apple liqueur. The original recipie is

Original version

4 quart glass jar and lid that seals
2-3 litres of crab apples (remove seeds or leave in but cut in half or quarters for larger ones)
4 -5 cups sugar
2 - 26 oz bottles of vodka

put apples in jar add sugar and vodka. Rotate jar from lid to base every day for 4-6 weeks.
Strain and enjoy.

My diabetic modification

2-3 litres of sour crab apples
1 cup sugar
3-4 cups splenda
2-26 oz bottles of Vodka

Less syrupy than the original and the sour crabs give it a very tart flavor.
 vbxtc
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/20/2009 4:40:14 PM
Very festive holiday red, and it tastes great too. If you start this weekend it will be ready just in time for the holidays.

Raspberry Liqueur

2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 drops orange extract
2 drops lemon extract
1 cup 100-proof vodka

Put raspberries, extracts and vodka in a clean, glass 1 quart container. Make a simple syrup by bringing sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. When clear, remove and let sit until just warm. Pour into the container with the other ingredients. Seal and let stand in a cool, dark place for one month. Strain out the solids, then strain the remaining liquid through cheesecloth or, if you have the patience for it, a coffee filter.
 ~EyesThatTalk~
Msg: 58
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/29/2009 6:19:46 AM
Sorry... just posting it here so I can copy and paste later today!

Molly was mentioning this and I just typed cordials and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the info TB!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/29/2009 10:06:21 AM
great that you found this, EyesThatTalk! I'm making a grape cordial that, so far, is bland and boring ... I used the above advice from vbxtc ... and added vanilla extract and Welch's dark purple grape juice which is having a decidedly positive effect ... I also added another syrup as, compared with the others, this one was not syrupy and I'd overpowered the entire thing with vodka! it's greatly improved as of this morning! there's hope for it yet!

the raspberry cordial is turning out PURR-FECT ... and I started another using the same recipe with blueberries ... which, to date, is the pick of the cordials ...

thanks to everyone who offered advice to us all ... these are going to be a hit with my boss and a few select friends!
 EI Gordo
Msg: 60
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 12/3/2009 9:34:11 PM
Beergarita,

you take 1/2 a mickey of tequilla....3 beer and a can of frozen limeaide....add a little water and mix....yummy.
 anonymouslyme
Msg: 61
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 12/4/2009 1:05:19 AM
Just curious if anyone knows how to make absinthe?
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 62
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 12/4/2009 9:07:08 AM

Just curious if anyone knows how to make absinthe?

It is pretty simple.

You just have to distill alcohol with the flowers and leaves of the herb Artemisia absinthium, commonly referred to as "grande wormwood".

If you do not live in the backwoods of Virgina and or have access to a still, you can buy "Lucid" (Absinthe) in the US now.
 42 L F Everything
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 12/4/2009 8:54:42 PM
Another good reason to keep the alcohol content high in your home made egg nog it will kill the bacteria.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:30:37 PM
Actually, if you use a little xylitol instead of sugar, it usually keeps dairy from fermenting as quickly. As it can have a laxative effect, I emphasize a *little* xylitol.

I made my bubble gum "vodka" (It's a liquer now, no longer a vodka) and a cotton candy bubblegum liquer. 5 packs of gum with one litre of vodka, and added agave nectar when finished. Sounds completely like a girly drink, however, it seems all my guy buddies are the ones most interested in it...
 Molly Maude
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/3/2010 6:23:02 PM
here it is again ... the time for holiday gift-giving!

who's making which cordial this winter season?

I'm leaning toward the cranberry liqueur again ... or one of the coffee blended ones ...

leslies1950
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/11/2010 4:36:59 AM
I have a receipe for plum brandy, fool proof!

2 qt jar
Fill jar half full of plums
2 1/4 cups of sugar
4 cups of Vodka

Place all ingredience in 2qt tight lid jar. Turn on side - move 1/4 turn every week for 8 to 10 weeks. After 8 weeks it can be strained and put in bottles.

For gifts I get a hip flask, fill it and warn gift getter it's strong! I then enjoy the plums from the brandy mix over vanilla ice cream as a treat for a job well done.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/11/2010 3:56:13 PM
INTERESTING ... what sort of plums do you use? do you peel them? do you chunk them up? quarter and remove stones?

I'd think the dark ones would be best ... prettier colour ...

it's a glass jar, right? and you just put in the fruit, pour over the sugar then the vodka? wow ... that sounds like something even I couldn't mess up!
 vbxtc
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/12/2010 12:36:12 PM
here it is again ... the time for holiday gift-giving! Who's making which cordial this winter season?

My traditional holiday giveaway is Fall Spice (on Page 2), but I made a couple of special batches of the raspberry liqueur, experimenting with adding amoretto or vanilla for our wedding. The result drew raves from the guests at the reception, so I may make some of that as well for a few friends.

Molly - as I was reading this and remembering, I wanted to know how everything turned out last year?! Did you manage to save that batch of grape cordial?

I also have a couple of plum liqueur recipes in a forum called Visions of Sugar Plums (or search "plum").
 Molly Maude
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 11/12/2010 2:48:09 PM
I did "save" it ... but it was never off life support ... I added Welch's grape juice as you suggested ... I may have added more syrup ... I don't remember for sure ... no one actually LIKED the stuff ... it never had a good grapey colour or strong grapey flavour ... it was sort of on the pink side ... you could tell it was grape ... but ... ehhh ... NOT one of my better efforts ... and it turned brownish within a few months ... oh, well ... if I were infallible, I'd be boring ...

the raspberry and blueberry, on the other hand, met with rave reviews ... brilliant in color, bright, light fruity tastes ... thanks for your hints ... THOSE were great ...

I'm thinking I shouldn't go off without a recipe to conquer cordial making ... I should START with a recipe and deviate a BIT ... but that grape mess taught me a lesson, I think ...

this year, I'm going with my tried and true cranberry cordial ... along with lots of CANDIES and some cookies ... shooting for a younger audience this year! even found recipes for candied popcorn ... yum ...

thanks for asking ... very thoughtful of you!!
 IMFRISKY4U
Msg: 70
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 5/1/2011 10:47:40 AM
if you do not want to impart the flavour of vodka on your liqueur recipes you should be using 100% alcohol it was available at local LCBO but now they only sell the stuff to the drug stores but u can still get the stuff if you live next to a border community and go to a usa party store
 IMFRISKY4U
Msg: 71
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 5/1/2011 11:09:37 AM
for simply syrup instead of using regular sugar go to a bulk food store and buy some different types of cane sugar it will imprt a wonderful flavour to some of your recipes
 vbxtc
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 12/10/2011 6:47:04 AM

Here it is again ... the time for holiday gift-giving! Who's making which cordial this winter season?

So far this year I've made some of the usual suspects (Fall Spice, page 2, and Raspberry Treat, above). But since my wifes boss loves some of my other stuff he's sampled (and I'm not above pandering to him, lol), this Christmas I'm also pulling out the big guns. My alltime favorite homemade liqueur is called Market Spice, after the tea of the same name. I adapted it from a Tia Maria recipe years ago and it's been a constant love affair since. As far as I know, Market Spice Tea (the house blend) can be found in two places; for sale online at amazon dot com, and at the one-and-only Market Spice store at Pike Place Market in Seattle. I have used their black and white teas, but would probably stay away from the green tea. The tea has a VERY intense orange-cinnamon flavor. Bigelow's Constant Comment is in the same neighborhood, but they're not best friends. If using something else I'd add a cinnamon stick and a few drops of orange extract.

Market Spice Liqueur
2 1/2 cups distilled water, divided
3 tea bags Market Spice tea
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups light rum (I use Bacardi)
1 cup dark rum (Meyers - because it's really smooth)
1-2 drops orange extract (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons glycerin (optional - this will add thickness/body)

Bring 1 1 /2 cups water and tea almost to boiiling, and let sit for a few minutes to make a very strong brew. In a separate pan, make a simple syrup by combining the remaining cup of water and both sugars, bringing them to a boil over medium-high heat, and stirring constantly to prevent scorching. When clear, remove from heat and let sit until just warm. In a clean 2-quart container mix the rum, vanilla and glycerin/orange extract (if using), then add the tea and syrup mixtures. Seal and shake to combine, then let stand in a cool, dark place for at least one month.

Hope you like it, and Happy Holidays to all!
 mamamugg
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 12/10/2011 7:28:20 AM
Wow vbxtc...

But since my wifes boss loves some of my other stuff he's sampled (and I'm not above pandering to him, lol),

Congrats to both of you!!! Reminds me to keep

Back on topic...I have never experimented with making any type of liquor/liqueurs.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 74
Homemade Liqueurs
Posted: 12/10/2011 12:46:02 PM
Happy Holidays and to all.
Nice recipe vb.
Need a gift for a certain someone but this year may just go with a bottle of Jeager .
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Homemade Liqueurs