Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Life on Other Planets? YES????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 andyaa
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Life on Other Planets? YES????Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Don't forget about Mars

Looks like there is methane and in great quantities.

90% of earths atmospheric methane is produced by organisms.

The methane on mars is constantly being replenished and changes with the seasons.
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Life on Other Planets? YES????
Posted: 2/8/2009 9:24:58 PM
i wouldn't doubt it, i feel it's naive to think that we are the only intelligent life in the vast stretches of the universe.
 Jiperly
Msg: 78
Posted: 2/8/2009 10:28:46 PM
Really? Even though, out of the billions and billions of species that came before you, none of which had the sentience humanity has- doesn't it seem more naive to believe that the universe must have lifeforms simular only to the kind of life you see immeadiately infront of you?
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 8:55:57 AM
still, there are planets out there, that could sustain life. humanity doesn't know, nor can explain EVERYTHING. the fact of the matter is... humanity doesn't know if there is intelligent life out there somewhere, there could be, there could not. science can't explain everything. and my statement stands.
 Jiperly
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:29:43 AM
>>>humanity doesn't know, nor can explain EVERYTHING......science can't explain everything

Why Not?

That seems more of an excuse for UFO's or psychics- why couldn't we know if there was life out there? Why couldn't science explain intelligent life?

>>>still, there are planets out there, that could sustain life.

Really? You have evidence of these planets? Or is it merely an assumption?
 twister239
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/9/2009 10:18:55 AM

Really? You have evidence of these planets? Or is it merely an assumption?

Jiperly , In all the posts I read of your it seems you only want to tear apart others beliefs....why dont you give us YOUR beiefs on things for a change....let us play with YOUR answers .

do you believe in a higher power then yourself
do you believe in other life forms or are we the only ones ...anywheres ?
do you believe the body has soul or spirit
do you believe in creatation or ID

and can you give proof of any of your answers
inquiring minds wanna know and I am sure everyone will take it easy on you in regards to YOUR thoughts.
 xzanthius
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/9/2009 11:39:38 AM
I our solar system life as WE KNOW IT (familiar to us) could exist today on Mars, Europa (moon of saturn... or is it jupiter... always forget that). I believe that there are other bodies with liquid water on them.

Key words, "as we know it", carbon based, oxygen breathing... etc.

Jiperly- Science cannot explain what it cannot measure (yet).
 quietcowboy
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 1:50:06 PM

do you believe in a higher power then yourself
do you believe in other life forms or are we the only ones ...anywheres ?
do you believe the body has soul or spirit
do you believe in creatation or ID

Aside from the last question about creation versus ID, why does he need to "believe" either way? Neither option for the other questions have real evidence either way, you might as well be asking a blind person in a room if the room is light or dark to those that see. Why can't he be agnostic in terms of answering the question?
 twister239
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/9/2009 2:18:45 PM

Why can't he be agnostic in terms of answering the question?

everyone has beliefs ,even if thay are agnostic..isnt that a belief in itself ?

I just think to stay on the sidelines just to wait to rip someones views apart is taking the east way out..I am merely asking for his views. As it does appear he has an opion about everything.
Just asking he put his thoughts out there ..his thoughts...jiperly does seem to be an educated and intelegent person, but all I have seen over the last couple months is him telling people their views are wrong...for once I like to see what HIS view is ...maybe he has things right ...he sure seems to know whats WRONG with everyones views tho...so that would lead me to think he has the right answers to things....thats what brings me out here...looking for the right answers....just asking he share his wisdom with us is all.
 Funcuz
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 5:27:22 PM
Jiperly is right . Sorry guys but what he's doing isn't "tearing apart" ideas but explaining (patiently I'd say) that these ideas are simply that...ideas. At not time should they be substituted for evidence or proof of extra-terrestrial life. Believe it or not, he's explaining the scientific method to you all. In fact, he's answering all your "what if" questions.

Whether you like an idea or not is a moot point as far as science is concerned. There's nothing wrong with speculation but "what if" questions aren't answers in themselves. "What if life exists on other planets ? " Okay....go on.....tell us what if. We found an interesting mircobe in some rocks. So ? What does that mean ? As far as science is concerned , it means that there's an interesting microbe in some rocks. "What if ?" questions are not answered in any way by this discovery where extra-terrestrial life is concerned. We're really no closer to finding out whether such life exists as we were before the discovery for the simple fact that we found this microbe on Earth. It's not evidence in favour of extra-terrestrial life either because , as Jiperly has been trying to convey , any life we would recognize requires a plethora of conditions that we have yet to see met anywhere outside of Earth.
 twister239
Msg: 86
Posted: 2/9/2009 6:01:33 PM

It's not science if you can't prove it and poking holes in a theory isn't the same thing as proving another one.

Funcuz

I seen you have just finished saying this on another topic...thats all I was asking..stop poking holes in everyone elses unless he has a better one...perhaps he does...I come here with an open mind..I throw my thoughts out there on the table ,as others do as well...just never seen Jiperly do the same thing..always poking holes..poking..poking..poking..lol..sorry Jip I got carried away !

Like Jiperly, I agree the life that we are looking for isnt waiting for us in space .So Jip..I ask you because I am curious as to your take on life and how you seem so sure of everything...including spirits or souls.
 Funcuz
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 6:14:36 PM
^Okay sure but why should I stop "poking holes" in unsound arguments ? You're introducing an unscientific opinion into a scientific discussion. Feel free to opine of course, I couldn't stop you even if I wanted to. With that said, I reserve the right to do the same.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 6:16:09 PM

everyone has beliefs ,even if thay are agnostic..isnt that a belief in itself ?

You are kidding right?
 twister239
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/9/2009 6:32:04 PM

You are kidding right?

No not at all....I always believed there was 3 catagories that everyone fell into

Believer
Agnostic
Unbelievers

any one of those is a personal choice or personal belief , If someone is agnostic then THAT is their belief.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:14:53 PM
Anything's possible.
I'm about to cover this subject on an upcoming book of fiction where non-human sentient beings are viewed as not being God's creation (not made in HIS image, you see)...
Of course, the heroes of my story are more accepting...
If my reading of current religious dogma is correct, that's where we're headed if ET does show up.
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 8:52:18 PM
science can't explain everything, just accept that there are mysteries that won't be solved.
 Jiperly
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:26:50 PM
>>>why dont you give us YOUR beiefs on things for a change....

I believe if people offer their beliefs in a public setting, esspecially in a setting such as this where you present your beliefs to be challenged, then a challenge is what you will find.

Nonetheless, I'll humor you, although I should warn you that it seems your questions don't seem to have anything to do with the OP, and as of such, I doubt I will be responding to your response unless it has something to do with aliens.

>>>do you believe in a higher power then yourself

I believe it is possible- there are things in the universe we do not understand- the creation of the universe, life, and intelligent life, for one. That been said, I do not suscribe to any organized beliefs but, rather, choose to examine the evidence and come to my own conclusions.

>>>do you believe in other life forms or are we the only ones ...anywheres ?

Theres two questions in that one question;

Do I believe extraterrestial life exists
Do I believe there is evidence supporting the belief that extraterrestial life exists

I'd like to believe that aliens exist- I really do- my favourite games, books, and movies are all about space travel, aliens, and heros zipping around the universe at impossible speeds. So yes, in that context, I do believe aliens could exist- at least alien life, although not intelligent life.

That been said, the second question, do I believe the evidence supports that belief? No. And to judge my reality not based on what I see, but rather, what I wish would be true, is doing a grave disservice to society and human knowledge as a whole. Every place we look in the universe is a place completely barren, and hostile to all forms of life we know of.

I'd like to believe in aliens- but I don't think what I want is reflected reality- so i got to side with the evidence.

>>>do you believe the body has soul or spirit

I believe we have a consciousness, yes- but is there a phsyical manifestation of this that survives after our brain dies? No. There is no evidence supporting such a notion.

>>>do you believe in creatation or ID

I wasn't aware they were the only two options.

I believe in Deitism, and an agnostic outlook at that. I believe a force created the universe, and maybe created life, but that they do not play a role in our lives any further- and the only reason I attribute these to a greater force is simply because of my inablity to explain these things without this force. With time, maybe my thoughts will change as we learn more.

>>>As it does appear he has an opion about everything.

And is this a bad thing?

>>>...jiperly does seem to be an educated and intelegent person

HA! fool'd ya!

>>>No not at all....I always believed there was 3 catagories that everyone fell into

Four that I can count of, actually- you forgot Apathetic- people who simply do not care to take an opinion eitherway.

---------

>>>Science cannot explain what it cannot measure (yet).

I'd have to agree, although it will only be through examination of the universe that we will reach concrete conclusions- not through projecting the universe to be as we wish it were, but rather through observing the universe for what it is.

-----------

>>>Why can't he be agnostic in terms of answering the question?

For the most part, yes, I am agnostic for religious questions, and try to avoid religious threads- I believe they are a matter of personal opinion

That been said, I will not abstain from discussing weither or not a soul exists because peoples religion demand it does, jusgt as I will not abstain from discussing weither not not the world is flat, because someones religion demands it is.
 twister239
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:34:54 PM
Thank you for taking the time to explain some of your thoughts ..gives me new things to think about.
I do believe everyone in life has something to teach and something to learn....when I come on this forum ...I know I am only here to learn...this is all so far away from my playgrounds.
again thanks for the time
 aremeself
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 11:42:44 PM
arnt most apathetic, I cant get these conversations out of the gate with hardly anyone.
 twister239
Msg: 95
Posted: 2/10/2009 9:54:07 AM

I believe if people offer their beliefs in a public setting, esspecially in a setting such as this where you present your beliefs to be challenged, then a challenge is what you will find

Ok this is my last mention of this OT post .

I think thats where the problem is Jiperly , this is an open forum and not everyone posting their" thoughts " are looking to be challenged...they are just looking for a place to "throw it out there".
Have you seen the number of people who read these threads but dont respond to anything ?..its out of fear of being ridiculed and laughed at. I often get mail from people who read my posts but yet are affraid to post a responce on this forum for that very reason....when that happens..no one wins.
Ok I am done here and I appologize for going off topic ....now lets get back to the post and find out where the ET are hiding...cant wait to see more pics of mars..maybe they are hiding under one of them rocks.
have a good day my friends and thanks for the patience
 aremeself
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2009 10:36:40 PM
how long has there been life on earth in comparison to the age of the universe?

very short, I believe, so, what are the chances of there being life on another planet at the same very short time?

read that somewhere.

personally? havent thought about it long enough.

Jiperly
Msg: 97
Posted: 2/10/2009 11:12:47 PM
>>>they are just looking for a place to "throw it out there".

And they can just as well put their thoughts on a piece of paper, then throw that paper into a fire if thats all they are looking for- they are presenting their thoughts in a place where they know it will be examined and judged by their peers- the word "forum" implies this.

>>>....when that happens..no one wins.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to allow people to propetuate what I view as ignorance because they have a low self esteem. Its unfortuant that people feel this way, but seriously- what solution is there? Their demons are their own, and me abstaining from expressing myself as they express themselves will not help neither them nor the debate.

>>>....now lets get back to the post and find out where the ET are hiding...

I vote Utah. It would explain SO MUCH about that state....

--------

>>>how long has there been life on earth in comparison to the age of the universe?

The universe is currently believed to be approx 14 billion years old- the Earth is believed to be approx 5 billion years old- life itself is believed to be approx 4 billion years old, and human life is suspected to be 200,000 years old(well, Homo Sapiens at least)
 aremeself
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2009 1:37:28 AM
200,ooo into 14 billion is a very short time. so the evolving process would have to have had the exact same timing in order for them to be around the same time.

or they would have to have evolved faster in order to have invented some time warping space travel, if they have been around here.

there are lots of variables, but 200,000 years is a very short time in the scheme of things.

so maybe they have come and gone already.

or they are just starting.

or they havent evolved yet.

and what do they look like, cant look anything like us.

or what if god did this on more earth type places.

I am going to bed.
 aremeself
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2009 1:38:19 AM
200,ooo into 14 billion is a very short time. so the evolving process would have to have had the exact same timing in order for them to be around the same time.

or they would have to have evolved faster in order to have invented some time warping space travel, if they have been around here.

there are lots of variables, but 200,000 years is a very short time in the scheme of things.

so maybe they have come and gone already.

or they are just starting.

or they havent evolved yet.

and what do they look like, cant look anything like us.

or what if god did this on more earth type places.

I am going to bed.
 Jiperly
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/11/2009 5:41:15 AM
>>>there are lots of variables, but 200,000 years is a very short time in the scheme of things.

Don't be confused- it didn't take 200,000 years for man to evolve- we simply evolved into man 200,000 years ago, from other Homo's- meaning it didn't take us 200,000 years to get here- it took 3 billion, 999million, 800 thousand years to get here.

And one thing proponants of aliens often fail to understand is, evolution doesn't exist to create intelligent life- it most certainly is not the apex of evolution- evolution creates ADAPTIVE life. The fact that intelligent life has only appeared of the last 4 billion years only in the last million is a testiment to how rare intelligent life really is- like I said before, if we were to look at life as a 24 hour clock, mankind would have appeared only in the last few seconds before midnight. The conditions in which intelligent life is created is not entirely understood, but to simply conclude that if life were to appear on another planet that intelligent life would appear at the same pace really doesn't take the randomness of evolution into effect, nor does it take the purpose of evolution into effect.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Life on Other Planets? YES????