Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Life on Other Planets? YES????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Thorb
Msg: 101
Life on Other Planets? YES????Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Okay boys and girls .... back on track .... the op ... was talking about a bacteria ... not people the UFO forum is next door.

bacteria on other planets .... I vote ..... yes .... I think we have found what look like evidence on our close neighbour although I think the jury is still out on that .... still to go into all of the universe .... it would undoubtedly be a yes vote from me.
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Life on Other Planets? YES????
Posted: 2/11/2009 7:56:30 AM
if we're talking bacteria then yes, i have no doubt that it's probable
 aremeself
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2009 11:53:23 PM
the universe is so big that there must be other life out there.

the universe is so big that there must be a god out there.

sorry couldnt stop myself.
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2011 8:11:05 PM
"Gives me hope there might be abundant life on Venus after all :)"-James

Indeed, there might very well be sulfuric-acid metabolizing bacteria on Venus in the atmosphere. Our experience of life on Earth indicates that it is present nearly everywhere we look.
 Page 2u
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/18/2011 12:56:25 PM
IMO—I would say we will find life, under every nick and cranny of the universe.
Every particle has the potential to from an aggregate – the more complex the aggregate --the closer it comes to what we call life.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/18/2011 2:07:47 PM
Sulfur compounds serve as both fuels and respiratory (oxygen-replacing) materials for simple organisms.
It's an interesting find. In order to exist on other planets those elemental and environmental conditions would need to exist.
It does lend to other forms of life being in existence.
 Page 2u
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/18/2011 7:48:27 PM
I think its not so much a chemical mixture—ie. Sulfur compounds--(oxygen-replacing)
Its more of a degree of complexity. –no matter what the aggregate is composed of
it can reach a state of complexity that, we would identify as--- life.

therefore---imo-- its very likely that, life will be everywhere.
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2011 9:09:54 PM
There are two issues being conflated here. The first is "where can life arise?" The second is "where can life survive or thrive?" From what we observe here on Earth, life can persist in amazingly difficult environments. However, the majority of life appears to not only exist within a relatively narrow range of conditions, but have internal chemical processes related strongly to those conditions. That is, life may be constrained in its origins to environments with moderate conditions, certain chemical and energy resources, and liquid water. Those conditions do not seem to be ubiquitous in the known universe, so I doubt that life is all that widespread. Mars may have harbored suitable conditions long enough for life to arise, and the current conditions may not be harsh enough to have wiped it out. Venus, however, may never have given life a chance to arise, much less adapt to the conditions which are now beyond extreme everywhere on the planet. At least on Earth and Mars, there are gradients of conditions which give life refuge or opportunity at the edge of tolerance before pioneering the truly extreme conditions.
 aremeself
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2011 10:14:35 PM
before we get all gijitty about life on other planets, we should maybe have a clue on how life starts, beyond our fantasies, that is.
 jessehoo
Msg: 110
Posted: 7/8/2011 5:44:10 PM
That there be life on another planet is not really profound.

Is life limited to cells or cell liek structures? does anyone know? When did the cell become alive? Is it only alive if it replicates? Whaat? Are pre-replication molecules not alive?
 Jiperly
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/9/2011 8:23:38 PM
No, but non-replicating molecules will disappear within a "generation"
 swamp_dude
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 8:01:21 AM
We may very well find evidence of life in other parts of our solar system due to evidence of water ... life and water seem to be symbiotic.

hence we are searching for evidence of water in other solar systems .... we have only begun with Keplar to be able to detect planets that may be the right size and in an adequate position to maintain water and therefor may have life.

I do believe we will discover that its more abundant than we first thought ... but we still have a isolated via distance problem in interaction of life .... though basic amino acids have been discovered in asteroid/comet investigation ... so ... life may have come to the earth from space. .... though in another sense it did .... because the earth itself formed from particles from space.
 AdamM12345
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 9:37:32 PM

Seriously, the "The Universe is Big, so life must exist out there" belief has to be one of the most halfassed beliefs ever- theres zero evidence to support it!

The Ocean is huge- nearly 3/4 of our planet is underwater- does that mean that since the Ocean is so huge that there must be mermaids down there? But since the universe is huge, thats proof of life??

You have gone on and on about people being irrational and jumping to conclusions for the possibility of life on other planets in the universe. Everyone's excepting unfounded mathematics and how we don't know what the conditions for life are.

If I am reading this article correctly, it seems to be saying that the conditions for life are not as restricted as previous theories set forth. I hope we can agree that it is at least possible for life to exist on another planet within the universe. I am not saying that it does only that its possible. So if it is possible then we should think about how probable it is. This article seems to state that is more probable then what we understood yesterday. Like how we use to think the Earth was flat and the center of the universe.

Is the only way you would except life on other planets on other planets is physical proof? Lets say that in the future we find microscopic life forms use to live on Mars or maybe still do. Would it then still be to big of a jump to conclusions about intelligent life? What if we find something as intelligent as dog on Titan?

Is it as big of a jump as saying life exist out there because there so much as say jumping to mythological creatures living in the biggest area known to support life.

For me, we are the proof that the universe supports life and it is way to big of jump to say that there is no way it exists anywhere else.
 abelian
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/12/2011 2:26:36 AM
Its more of a degree of complexity. –no matter what the aggregate is composed of
it can reach a state of complexity that, we would identify as--- life.

That isn't true. Carbon is unique. You can make more organic compounds (those containing carbon) than you can compounds from all other elements put together without carbon. (at least a factor of 10, perhaps a factor of 100). If you restrict the definition of organic to those containing hydrogen, there are still a factor of 10 or 100 more organic compounds than inorganic compounds. Carbon's outer electron structure allows carbon to form long chains and rings in complex geometries that no other element can, so life is carbon based. The element Si (and other group 14 elements) has an outer electron structure that most closely resembles carbon. However, the resemblence is not close enough, in that even Si, which is most like C, does not form long chain molecules. Basically, life is constrained by the conditions under which carbon compounds can exist as sufficiently complex and stable molecules.

Other constraints involve the necessity of a liquid to that would serve the same purpose water serves on earth - the transport of organic compound inside a living organism and in which living organisms can form. There aren't many to choose from. Water has the property that it's denser as a liquid than as a solid. i.e., ice floats. If that weren't the case, the oceans would be frozen from the bottom up. Ice that formed on the surface would sink as it freezes on the surface in winter, but the heat from the sun wouldn't thaw much of the surface, just like it doesn't at the poles.

For me, we are the proof that the universe supports life and it is way to big of jump to say that there is no way it exists anywhere else.

I don't think anyone (apart from some religious fundamentalists) believes that earth holds the only life in the universe. On the other hand, there are probably many fewer planets capable of supporting life than planets that can't support life. There are trillions of galaxies out there. It's unlikely that earth is the only place life exists.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 5:17:39 PM
Intelligent life is another matter. We obviously failed to attain that state here where we used up all the resources, went broke, barely made it to our moon and back, are wiping out 25% of land based lifeforms/biodiversity in a short spurt of arrogance, and cannot even govern ourselves on this blue ball without the threat of wars and technology that can sterilize this planet. There is so much space junk now in orbit that it serves as a Bozone Layer, protecting the universe from the known harmful effects of humans.

Beam us up Scotty...no signs of intelligence here!
 jessehoo
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/12/2011 7:37:08 PM

No, but non-replicating molecules will disappear within a "generation"

Yes, obviously, but the distinguishment between animate and inanimate things is largely a matter of perspective. It sort of starts to disapear the smaller and smaller, you go until you reach mere atoms. Not trying to be reductionistic, just saying BASICIALLY......the entire universe is alive.!!. !. 11.1!!!>!>1!.1!1.1.1!>!!!!!
 stargazer1000
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/22/2011 7:05:08 AM

Yes, obviously, but the distinguishment between animate and inanimate things is largely a matter of perspective.

No, it's a matter of definition. Animate is anything that's alive. Inanimate is anything that is not alive. Pretty simple, really.

It sort of starts to disapear the smaller and smaller, you go until you reach mere atoms.

Then electron/neutrons/protons then quarks...

Everything on the macro scale (including life) is made of these particles but that doesn't mean these particles are alive, no more than, because houses are made of bricks, every brick is a house.

Not trying to be reductionistic, just saying BASICIALLY......the entire universe is alive.

Not trying to be reductionist, just trying to shoe horn a "new agey" explanation that is not justified.
 Appreciative9809
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 9:01:24 AM

Animate is anything that's alive. Inanimate is anything that is not alive. Pretty simple, really.

No, not really as simple as you think. Defining "animate" as "alive", merely postpones things. Because then there's the question of which bit of matter you regard as alive.

Is a virus alive? A prion?

I don't think anyone (apart from some religious fundamentalists) believes that earth holds the only life in the universe. There are trillions of galaxies out there. It's unlikely that earth is the only place life exists.

Some time ago I saw an article that said that the evidence has begun to accumulate to suggest that the universe is spatially infinite. Of course the article didn't say that it was certain. If the universe is infinite, then it would be pretty much a sure thing that there's life elsewhere.

But, with only one lifebearing planet known, and with a number of biologists emphasizing the extreme improbabililty of life (some biologists and astronomers used to say that there's most likely no other life in the obsersvable universe), I suggest that most likely, even if the universe is infinite, the nearest other lifebearing planet is so far away that communication or travel is out of the question, without science-fictionish spacewarp technology, or maybe even with it. I don't suppose that can be ruled out--Clarke said that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. But, unless we or someone else devises such fantastic transport or communication, we're not going to hear from or meet anyone else, and probably won't even find any other life of any kind.

Most likely, life is so improbable that it's most likely to occur in a universe where that improbable event happened only once.
 swamp_dude
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 11:07:05 AM
^^^^^ boing .[ back to reality]..... again .... as stated on the top of this page [message ... life 101] and in the OP ..... this is not about contact with life .... and the UFO thing .... this is about bacteria and building blocks of life ....
 Uthenk
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 1:06:33 PM
There are plenty of research projects aimed at creating artificial life. A quick search on the net will show how many. An earth type planet is a ball of chemicals, volcanic activity pushes chemicals onto the surface, rain washes chemicals together. So the entire planet is a giant test tube. As the chemistry gets more complex I would say its mathematically certain that some kind of life is going to be generated. How well that life does is down to luck but I dont think you can avoid life.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 121
Posted: 7/22/2011 6:54:43 PM

Is a virus alive? A prion?

Well, I'm not a biologist so I only have an enthusiastic amateur's level of learning to go with.

Prions, I don't have nearly enough information to offer a remotely informed opinion, so I won't address it.

Viruses, however, are interesting. They are made of RNA. They are mobile. They reproduce, albeit by taking over the normal functioning of a cell. They consume resources. They are subject to natural selection. Sounds "alive" to me.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 7:34:59 PM
Strictly speaking, viruses are not alive, at least when you consider that the characteristics of biological life are the use of energy, evidence of growth, reproduction, homeostatis, and the presence of cells. To be alive, it is accepted that you must have a true cell and be constituted of cells. Viruses don’t have cells. They have a small number of genes, but not enough to allow them to grow, divide, expel waste, or defend against hot/cold. They also don’t carry their own repair enzymes that can fix errors. They are very sloppy about copying their DNA so if they were composed of thousands of genes, they'd be quickly wiped out.

Viruses don’t have enough genes that can do anything beyond make new viruses, so they're generally not considered to be alive.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:48:00 PM

Viruses don’t have enough genes that can do anything beyond make new viruses, so they're generally not considered to be alive.

Does "biological" work as a definition, versus "non-biological?"
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 9:52:02 PM
Viruses are definitely biological and have their own taxonomy, and they share characteristics with parasites that use host cells to reproduce their genomes. They just don't fit well with the definition of a living organism.

By comparison, I'd say that a non-biological virus would be something that infects your PC.
 MrCruickshank
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 10:08:52 PM

Does "biological" work as a definition, versus "non-biological?"

Biological refers to living organisms, so depending on whether or not you consider Viruses alive or not would alter the perameters.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Life on Other Planets? YES????