Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Who Pays What When Your Cohabiting???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 173
Who Pays What When Your Cohabiting???Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Rent - we split in proportion to our income - we adjust as this changes from time to time

So.... um... the person who pays more gets more of the space? Seems kinda bizarre that one person benefits in a 50/50 arrangement....

Ependa
Msg: 174
Who Pays What When Your Cohabiting???
Posted: 8/8/2009 4:33:39 PM
I'm a big fan of keeping finances separate completely. Even if you are't able to split 50/50 , this is still possible. Though I think maybe easier done before hand. I would sit down and figure out what you can pay in 'rent' each month and keep your own personal bills separate. See if you can compromise on the cable by splitting it or possibly reducing the bill by cutting channels (actually, if you call them to discontinue with satellite , they will almost give it away to you...I so rarely watch tv that it was a waste to me to have directtv and dvr so I was going to cancel and they are almost paying me to keep it ,lol. maybe you can work out a deal with the cable company).
Also, keep your personal finanances totally separate. That means his truck and payment are his business. Maybe a truck is more important to him than cable.
If you can come up with an agreement on how much you pay (even if it's not 50/50) , this will enable you to still budget in the things that you want.
Just my take..but then I had a completely separate checking, savings, etc from my husband when I was married. I guess different people like to handle this different ways, but that always worked for me/us. I would never, ever consider sharing finances with my so...especially if we weren't married.
 lovemygirlie
Msg: 175
Posted: 8/8/2009 4:41:55 PM

You should pay for the cable BUT ... kick him in the nuts if you catch him watching it!

ba ha ha ha ha! Aren't we supposed to be looking after our investments??
 IsabelK
Msg: 176
Posted: 8/8/2009 5:58:57 PM
Capitano -

Our salaries are different, so splitting the rent in 1/2 can be too much for the one w/ the lower salary. We split the rent in equal proportions to whatever our salaries are at the time - so the "bite" is equal in each of our pockets.

We share the space equally, lol - we're not roommates.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 177
Posted: 8/8/2009 6:26:28 PM

Our salaries are different, so splitting the rent in 1/2 can be too much for the one w/ the lower salary. We split the rent in equal proportions to whatever our salaries are at the time - so the "bite" is equal in each of our pockets.

We share the space equally, lol - we're not roommates.

Oh...

... guess I'm just one of the few, true, feminists out there who believe in word and, in fact, that women are equal and need to be, in fact, equal in everything.

I'm just tryin' to advocate for us feminists to make sure everything is equal, that's all...

... wouldn't want any of those walkin' penises takin' advantage of us makin' less than those patriarchal, misogynous, scumbag, walkin' testosterone factories takin' unfair advantage.....

IsabelK
Msg: 178
Posted: 8/8/2009 6:29:03 PM
For the record - I'm not a man-basher. :P
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 179
Posted: 8/8/2009 6:32:50 PM
For the record - I'm not a man-basher. :P

Yay, sista!

You go, gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl. Maybe we can go for muffins and lattes so.

... call me....

EDIT to add:

.... You know how Pinnocchio's nose grew when he lied about shit?

.... I think I just felt a bit of a rise in my boobies when I admitted that I'm a feminist!

... now, I have new toys to play with tonight!

Lil Brooker
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2009 9:05:10 PM
Without reading 8 pages...
One contributes, what one can realistically afford to any situation. If you both make equal incomes with equal expenses, 50/50 is fair. Otherwise, you both should adjust contribution to ability to pay. Cable, however, is a luxury, which in a tight economic scenario should be one of the first things to go. Devote the time that you would have been watching tv to studying!

Ask yourself this - if you, as a student lived alone, could you afford cable? If yes, move out and you can have cable. Problem solved!
 lovemesomemen
Msg: 181
Posted: 8/8/2009 9:30:10 PM
Even though this is an old thread....

If you want the cable and he wants to save money by not having the cable, you should pay for it. If you have time to watch tv instead of studying, maybe a part time job would be a good idea.
 PeggyI
Msg: 182
Posted: 8/9/2009 3:43:26 AM
^^^So.... um... the person who pays more gets more of the space? Seems kinda bizarre that one person benefits in a 50/50 arrangement.... ^^^

Actually, this is my area of expertise. I provide financial advice to many couples when they are first starting out, and often deal with the results of relationships after the fact.

The percentage each person contributes is directly related to the percentage of income they bring to the relationship. If he makes 60% and she makes 40%, then the bills are split 60/40, and so on.

It is vitally important that each person contribute to the maintenance of the relationship, and it is equally important that each person have money of their own which they do not have to account for to another. This balance of interdependence and independence may shift throughout a relationship, however if it is not recognized and honored, it will be a source of never ending frustration and resentment.

Major decisions which affect the financial health or status of the unit must be negotiated in advance, and the consequences of these decisions must be fully understood by both parties - so if buying a new car will affect the couple's ability to save for a downpayment on a house, both parties must understand this and be in agreement.
 WalkingInLondon
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2009 5:02:42 AM
There are four people in this house. Therefore I think you should pay one-fourth of the bills. I'm sure he get support for his daughters, that should contribute to their parts. As for luxuries like internet and cable, it should be split equally betweenthe people who use it...all four of you...it's not like he's not gonna be ploppin his butt down to watch the games too. And if he wanted a new truck, tough tittie, he can just suck up that 50 bucks a month...were you asking for a shiney new pickup to drive every day? Do you get to drive it all the time? I bet not! I you went out and bought a new car would you be able to tell him he was going to have to start taking over the grocery bill because you wanted to trip around in your new sports car? Um, no I bet not.
Tell hi selfish azz that he can try that trick onn someone else, but he's gonna have to pay the cable bill, or it's getting shut off. Let him explain to the kids how Daddy's new truck was more important than Nickelodeon.
Sounds like he's a selfish****
Sorry, but true.
Beth
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Who Pays What When Your Cohabiting???