Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Single Women, no kids at home, and dogs..........      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Me Leona
Msg: 76
Single Women, no kids at home, and Freedom Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Now had this guy ignored the dog and kissed her first the excuse would have been he's not a pet lover. There is no right or wrong, just what you are willing to tolerate.

Just goes to show that with some people you just can't win!

Oh Ya, that's the recipe for a great relationship, show the dog more affection than she does to get her jealous. You really don't know any fanatical women pet lovers do you?.......And then if the pet shows you more affection than to her? Hell, you'd be better off enlisting and ship off to Iraq, It would be a shorter war.

Oh well, I thought a little psychological testing and taste of their own medicine could be interesting is all. I'm not really at all a believer in purposeful manipulation!
 littlephishy
Msg: 77
Single Women, no kids at home, and Freedom
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:09:02 PM

'm not really at all a believer in purposeful manipulation!

Wait a minute, you're a woman. Women manipulate men even when they're sleeping. It's part of , what is it? men are from Mars and women are from Venus. Don't get me wrong, it's a trait that most of us men accept in a women and we just let them think they're getting away with it even when they don't even know they're doing it....
Totally off topic but so what.......
 Me Leona
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:19:51 PM
Wait a minute, you're a woman. Women manipulate men even when they're sleeping. Totally off topic but so what.......

Well, it's your thread littlephishy, so you're allowed! lol But that is a whole 'nother topic (I think).
 littlephishy
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:28:14 PM
I think that's a topic I'll leave alone.......Froggy, how about you? You want to go there?
 SRQleslie
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:35:10 PM

My ex-wife broke off an engagement because when her fiance came through the door he would pet the dog before he kissed her.

AGAIN - WOW - what a day........I am in COMPLETE agreement AGAIN...............this time ........with your ex-wife!!

Seriously, if a man prefers to show his first affections to his pet BEFORE his woman.........( at least on a habitual basis) I would DEFINITELY be questioning the relationship! OR - I would be checking 'my' tail!!
 Me Leona
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:37:21 PM

Seriously, if a man prefers to show his first affections to his pet BEFORE his woman.........( at least on a habitual basis) I would DEFINITELY be questioning the relationship! OR - I would be checking 'my' tail!!

Wait a minute! I thought it was HER pet that he said hello to first, not HIS! Makes a big difference I think!
 SRQleslie
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:42:45 PM
Hallie, you make a VALID point! IF, indeed, it was HER pet, I would actually give him a 'pat on the back'!!!

SRQleslie
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:45:00 PM
I re-read the post, and he doesn't 'specify' WHOSE dog (I don't think)!! But, again, I AGREE with you, it WOULD make a difference!
 littlephishy
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:52:14 PM
Wait a minute! I thought it was HER pet that he said hello to first, not HIS! Makes a big difference I think!

Kinda lends to my contention that if the dog wasn't there , there wouldn't be a problem.
dependent pet at home broke up a engagement relationship, and if it was her pet or his , It's her problem with it ....WTF....As you can see, there are many things that can screw up a potential relationship with woman and dogs, it's a three way street with no stop signs, speed limit signs or yield signs for guidance.
If there's no dog's there, ya get to pet the woman..Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee..
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/11/2008 10:42:45 PM
It was HER pet. When she asked me about it I told her to try greeting him at the door with her tail wagging and see who got petted first. I never heard but I suppose it was the dog! LOL Seriously, if you are that insecure about your partners love then nothing he does will matter anyway, the relationship is still over.

it's a trait that most of us men accept in a women and we just let them think they're getting away with it even when they don't even know they're doing it....

Of course I would go there!!! I just quote 23 psalms and wade right in!

Personally, I find nothing funnier than to watch a woman set up some elaborate manipulation and get part way through it thinking her plan is working just so I can put the breaks on and switch directions... just something about that look on their face and how their heads spin in circles and they start talking like the bride of chucky that makes me laugh.

bull man
Msg: 86
Single Women, no kids at home, and dogs..........
Posted: 11/26/2008 11:32:29 AM
I had a cat out in the barn but when i got my dog he ran her off. Why a man would want a house cat is beyond me but to each his own. I did ride my bull through the house once. In the back door and out the front. That is more then my dog has done.
 littlephishy
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/26/2008 3:53:11 PM
Women with kids at home
Minus
Women that smoke
Minus
Women with dependent pets (mostly dogs that are treated like spoiled children)
Minus
"Average" woman (size 12 and up...lol..)
Minus
Heavily medicated woman (1 or more prescription for mental health)
Equals
1% of the female population over 40 (that have a full set of teeth)

And I thought being an empty nester was going to be fun and easy....Ha...
 Sebastian_in_902
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/10/2009 5:27:45 AM
I would never again date anyone with a dirty ol' dog. Most dogs stink, are very unsanitary, bark at the air, urinate on everything, and are a constant source of noise, interruption, neediness, crotch-sniffing and feces. I would never schedule my dating life around a dog's urination schedule. Ewww ...

Neutered cats, on the other hand, are more my style. Most cats are extremely independent, seem to be more attached to their territory & possessions, and have little use for people.
 MermaidColleen
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/11/2009 12:55:16 AM
In reading this post, I got loads of laughs! Thank you! The whole time I was thinking of the psychological bend on pet ownership. There have been many studies done about the types of people that own pets and the type of pets they own. Dogs and cats are used as the general basis of the study results. Dog owners tend to be caregivers, nurturers, and prefer to be depended on. Cat owners tend to be very independent and would prefer not to be depended on. A cat will (if it can get outside) fend for itself. A dog will lay down and pine for its missing owner. In response to the OP's question. Pets can and will definitely be a hinderance if the pet owner allows it to be. I am widowed and have three dogs and a dwarf bunny. I also have a fenced back yard and a doggy door. The dogs come and go. There are no "surprises" left on the carpets, floors, beds, etc. for me. The vet bills are frequently much smaller than the doctor bills for my children were---or even for some of my personal doctor bills!!! I am alpha and the dogs are dogs. When the dog my late husband and I acquired had to be put to sleep, I admit I cried. Nowhere near the tears I cried when my husband died! But after thirteen years of having her there through the good, bad, and ugly; it was a sad event. But she was a dog. My husband always "said" hello to the dog before greeting me---she always beat me to the door and I couldn't always drop what I was doing to race her for the first hello. I also "said" hello to the dog before my husband---for the same reasons! Having pets that depend on me are no hinderance to my dating because I will not allow it to be. As for fleas and shedding: there are breeds of dogs that do not shed. It isn't that difficult to prevent flea infestation---twenty years and no fleas! Pets are dependents---as such they need care---less than a child, but they need regular grooming. People stink when they go without bathing. Dogs, generally, can be bathed once or twice a month and there is no problem with stench (accidents withstanding---skunk encounter, etc.). Regular brushing (dependent on the breed and the owners schedule) will greatly reduce the amount of shed hair as well as bad smell.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If the woman (or man) allows the pet to rule her (him), pet ownership will be a definite hinderance to dating. All a matter of choice.
 joanne1357
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/23/2009 10:07:13 AM
[If the woman (or man) allows the pet to rule her (him), pet ownership will be a definite hinderance to dating. All a matter of choice.]

^^ I so agree with this. I am single w/o children, however I do have dogs. Yes they are dependant on me, but no they are not treated like children. I have dated & been out for the evening, having taken care of the dogs prior to leaving; and if it is a special occasion I can call the dog sitter. I am not gone all day & nite, but would not be even if I didnt have animals unless it was some sort of a trip. I just dont run like that all weekend or every nite during the week normally. I like some down time to relax & a chance to get things done around the house.

I dont force my dogs on anyone, & they are social & like people. I also agree with the above statement that dog people are caregivers & nurturers. I am that kind of person, I'm a nurse=caregiver professionally & I enjoy doing things for others so am a giver in my personal life too. Nothing wrong with that
If you dont want to date a pet owner- dont, its that simple
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2011 4:00:59 AM
I think this has more to do with your 'tude than anything else...those women are giving you 'excuses'..If i know i'm going to be gone for quite awhile..(altho she can easily hold it for 8 hours) , one of my neighbors walks my dog. As for the weekend..i board her if i'm going out of town. As far as a dog getting sick..etc..unless they are very old, is a rare occurance but it does happen, and being invited over seems great..why would you oppose bringing a pizza, beer, movie etc..over to a chicks house? Seems like you got some issues with 'responsibilities'..which a pet demands and rightly so, but what they give back is unconditional love..something i feel you dont have and desperately need. Plenty of fish out there which i'm sure if you state those 'deal-breakers' aka pet owners, you can find someone that fits your criteria. good luck.
 Nowake
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/18/2011 5:07:31 PM

why would you oppose bringing a pizza, beer, movie etc..over to a chicks house? Seems like you got some issues with 'responsibilities'..which a pet demands and rightly so, but what they give back is unconditional love..something i feel you dont have and desperately need

What a load of bullschitt. First you make several ridiculous assumptions about someone you have no clue what they think and comment about a subject you're biased about.
LOL, Issues with responsibilities because someone chooses to be able to come and go anywhere, anytime without scheduling their time around the/a dog?
Gotta love dog owners that are so blinded they cannot see the other side of the issue without insulting and making said riduculous assumptions...

I'm sure if you state those 'deal-breakers' aka pet owners

If you read the OP's post it specifically states "dogs" not all pets........
 SpaceyBlonde
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2011 2:04:20 PM
If I meet someone who is more dedicated to their dog then their own life it becomes - Nice to meet you.....Buh Bye!

I like to take spur of the moment road trips or go on weekend adventures - don't want pets or kids becoming a problem.

That's nice if you have a little poochie but don't force it on everyone. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs/pets but they will NEVER dictate my life!! One reason when I do have a pet it's a cat - can leave them for days with no problems.
 thesilverdevil97
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2011 1:59:54 PM
What they said.

But did you ever stop to think that maybe these women have dogs for protection? Not that Fido will save them from someone who breaks in, but they will give enough advance notice that the woman can get out.

Or in my case, my home was burglarized more than a dozen times in a short period of time. I was terrified that they would break in while I was there, even though it was either bums or kids because all they ever took was liquor, food, cigarettes and money laying around.

Now I have a black and silver German Shepard that weighs 120 pounds. Haven't been broken into since.
 Nowake
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/29/2011 4:08:12 PM
Whatever the reason, the end result is still the same.....I won't even comment on the booze, food, cigs, money, a dozen times thing......Ok, yes I will......I'd move before I'd get a dog....Or perhaps quit leaving those things "laying around".....Want protection?
get a 9mm, it doesn't pee or poo........
 trinity818
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2012 10:09:07 AM

But did you ever stop to think that maybe these women have dogs for protection?

Exactly. My dog protects me and my home. It's either him or a gun. I prefer the dog.

they will give enough advance notice that the woman can get out

Enough time for me to break out my wasp spray, baseball bat and call the cops.
 easygoingmo
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:12:14 PM
I'm the only animal that lives in my home!! Now if the cats or dog wants to share my property with me fine and dandy. Nothing is more of a turn off than to climb into a Ladies bed, who I have been dating for a while, and to smell the scent of their last bed partner "Their DOG or Cat!!" I always find a reason as to why I HAVE to go ASAP!! Keep them for all of the protection that they can provide, but sleep with them, Give Me A Break!!

The last time I woke up with a little four legged furry animal in my bed, it was a wharf rat in beautiful down town Da Nang!! The next day I became a cat lover, but even he had a shelter outside and as he grew, he eliminated any vermin problem that we had!! Even drove the Lifers a little crazy, but that was an added benefit!!
 droidfanatic
Msg: 98
Posted: 5/10/2012 4:36:43 PM

What's up with the large number of single empty nester women having dogs?

I can't answer this, but I can tell you that during my one and a half years on another dating site that resembles POF, I have browsed literally thousands of profiles, and of them all, I could literally count less than 10 female profiles I encountered that did NOT have a dog.

Interestingly enough, the girls that didn't own dogs either had children, or lived with their parents.
 MochaNHoney
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 12:40:35 PM
Have a dog can provide some safety by warning you of danger, but I think that owning a weapon (if you've been trained), pepper spray, and taking a few self-defense classes is a better way to go. I never know when my parents dogs are barking because something is really wrong, or if its just because there is a squirrel outside that they want to chase down.

Whether it be a cat or dog, the reason I don't have either is the same reason that I don't have children yet; I don't care to bear the burden of the responsibilities and restrictions by myself. Perhaps that makes me selfish, but I love to travel and socialize and I don't want to be hindered in any way that is not necessary. Once I find myself in a strong relationship, then I'll be okay with getting a dog. As for kids, that's gonna take a ring and a wedding buddy! LOL!
 belladonna813
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2012 6:15:15 PM
I don't think it hinders anything. Frankly, they make a good excuse if you don't want to go out with someone ;)
Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Single Women, no kids at home, and dogs..........