Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > New Orleans Saints      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 petebelongs
Msg: 551
view profile
History
New Orleans SaintsPage 23 of 73    (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49)

INDIANAPOLIS – The relationship between Archie Manning and the New Orleans Saints was always star-crossed; bad timing, bad teams, bad karma. The Saints drafted Archie out of Ole Miss in 1971 and watched him become known as best quarterback to play on the worst team in NFL history.

Peyton talks to his dad, Archie, following the Colts' AFC title game win over the Jets.

(Rob Carr/AP Photo)
It was 10 full seasons with Manning at the helm – or running for his life from defensive linemen – and 10 seasons without a winning record. It was one of the strangest careers anyone has ever seen – even rival players said they sometimes took it easy when sacking Manning because they felt bad for the guy.

More Yahoo! Sports StoriesNBA's 'Big Baby' wants to drop his nickname Simple explanation for baseball mystery More From Dan WetzelManning only concerned with ultimate goal Jan 24, 2010 Childress getting little credit for Vikes' success Jan 19, 2010 ADVERTISEMENT

Manning is the quintessential Southern gentleman, an unfailing polite native of little Drew, Miss., who never left New Orleans after his playing days. He long ago forgave the Saints organization, even if his 60-year-old body still feels all those pile drives into the Louisiana Superdome turf each Sunday.

New Orleans, meanwhile, has been a lovable loser despite its inglorious history, its era as the ‘Aints and its fans who once wore paper bags over their heads so TV cameras wouldn’t tell the world they had no taste in teams. The franchise may not have done many favors for Archie Manning, but his three boys, Cooper, Peyton and Eli, grew up fans anyway. Everyone in Louisiana does. After both Katrina and Drew Brees(notes)(ed) into town, the bond grew even tighter

So now here comes the most bizarre twist of all. New Orleans has at last reached the Super Bowl (a franchise first) and not only won’t Archie and his Manning clan be able to root for the team, it’s Peyton, the most prominent of the sons, that stands in the way of the Saints reaching the ultimate in football glory.

If New Orleans loses to the Indianapolis Colts on Feb. 7 in South Florida, it’ll almost assuredly be because Archie Manning’s kid crushed their dreams.

“Somebody’s going to win,” Archie said Sunday outside the Colts locker room. “And somebody is going to lose.”

There’s a Shakespearean drama in here somewhere. It’s the cursed franchise, its mistreated, beaten-down former savior and the son with the chance to deliver payback for all those seasons of mauling and misery. It’s the sporting passion of New Orleans against the city’s first football family.

“I’ve lived in New Orleans for 39 years and I’m very proud of what the Saints have done,” said Archie Manning, who finished his career with the Oilers and Vikings. “Very proud.”

Yet make no mistake about his allegiances. Blood is thicker than Bourbon Street.

“I’m pulling for the Colts, 100 percent,” Manning said. “One-hundred percent. That’s not close.”

For the Mannings, revenge has nothing to do with this. Yes, the Saints organization should’ve gotten Archie some offensive linemen who could’ve saved him, but that’s deep in the past. Football gave them a gorgeous home in the city’s Garden District, where the three boys developed into football stars – Cooper a high school star until injuries did him in, Peyton and Eli starting quarterbacks for Indianapolis and the New York Giants, respectively.

Archie Manning’s career with the Saints (did not play in ’76)
Year Atts, Comps, Yds TDs, INTs
1971 86-177, 1,164 6 TDs, 9 INTs
1972 230-448, 2,781 18 TDs, 21 INTs
1973 140-267, 1,642 10 TDs, 12 INTs
1974 134-261, 1,429 6 TDs, 16 INTs
1975 159-338, 1,683 7 TDs, 20 INTs
1977 113-205, 1,284 8 TDs, 9 INTs
1978 291-471, 3,416 17 TDs, 16 INTs
1979 252-420, 3,169 15 TDs, 20 TDs
1980 309-509, 3,716 23 TDs, 20 INTs
1981 134-232, 1,447 5 TDs, 11 INTs
1982 1-7, 3 0 TDs, 2 INTs

If a Manning wasn’t under center against New Orleans’ opponent, the family would be yelling “Who Dat?” all over South Beach like everyone else.

“I hate to think about that,” Cooper Manning said. “I’m born and bred in New Orleans. And love the Saints. I’m good friends with Drew Brees and Coach [Sean] Payton and have nothing but good things to say about them. All my friends are Saints fans. All my friends [were] at the Superdome [Sunday].

“So that could be a little awkward.”

Especially if it’s his brother, winner of consecutive MVPs and on a playoff tear like he has never experienced, that slams the door on the Saints at the final hour.

Karma doesn’t care about forgiveness; someone get Anne Rice to break out the tarot cards because this is borderline voodoo.

Perhaps no franchise misused a potential superstar the way the Saints did with Archie. He managed to make two Pro Bowls despite a 35-91-3 record in New Orleans. He was sacked an outrageous 339 times, including four seasons when he got buried 40 or more times. By comparison, Peyton took just 10 sacks this season.

So now that the Saints finally got their act together, here’s one of his sons slinging it around against them? Oh, and Peyton’s favorite receiver just happens to be Reggie Wayne(notes), a New Orleans native himself? And the two of them playing at an elite level few pitchers and catchers have ever attained?

It would’ve been nice for everyone if the Saints had made a Super Bowl that didn’t have a Manning in it. Of course, that’s not easy to find anymore. This will be the third time in four years that a Manning brother is one of the game’s starting quarterbacks – Peyton won it in 2007, Eli in 2008. For a dad who experienced so little professional team success, it’s been a bountiful run.

“I sure never got close to it,” Archie said. “So maybe it’s justice.”

Or some cosmic revenge, nearly four decades later, the son returning to pay back the Saints for the sacks of the father.
 MGMLION
Msg: 552
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/26/2010 11:06:34 AM

We could not have won that game without the help of the Vikings via the turnovers.

They will need to get 7 turnovers against the Colts if they want the Title and a ring.
 petebelongs
Msg: 553
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/26/2010 11:37:34 AM

Harper Focusing on Task at Hand

by Doug Miller,
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 9:45 AM

Sitting quietly at his locker, Roman Harper eyed his buzzing cell phone and let out a small laugh. “It’s crazy,” he said of the phone that he said hasn’t stopped ringing since the NFC Championship game ended.

“Non-stop,” is how he described his phone. Harper admitted that the calls were mixed between people calling to congratulate both he and his teammates on winning the NFC Championship, and, as he put it, “to start the feeling out process of getting some tickets to the Super Bowl.”

“But it’s a great situation to have to deal with,” he said. “I have pretty much told my mother that we’re going to limit this to immediate family, because tickets are expensive and then you get into the hotel rooms and all that stuff and it adds up really fast. My big thing is I want to get everything put together and then just shift my focus to getting ready to face the (Indianapolis) Colts.”

SS Roman Harper
For the 6-1, 200 pound hard-hitting safety out of the University of Alabama, the opportunity to play in a Super Bowl game is the realization of a life-long dream. Harper said that his earliest Super Bowl memories came when he was watching his childhood idol, Deion Sanders and his San Francisco 49ers teammates pepper the San Diego Chargers, 49-26, in Super Bowl XXIX, which ironically enough was also played in South Florida, the site of upcoming Super Bowl XLIV.

Harper, who recalls watching the game with his older brother, Bryan, said that he remembers the flashing cameras and the pageantry surrounding the game and said that it has been a long-time goal of his to one day appear in the biggest game. “I have played football since the third grade and I think every kid that puts the pads on or even plays in his backyard dreams about being in the Super Bowl. So to that end, I was no different,” Harper said.

The native of Prattville, Alabama was part of the Saints’ 2006 Draft class that also includes starting running back Reggie Bush, Pro Bowl guard Jahri Evans and leading receiver WR Marques Colston. Harper immediately moved into the starting lineup and despite suffering a season-ending knee injury early in his rookie season, has been a veritable mainstay in the Saints’ secondary the past four seasons, amassing 361 tackles, six-and-a-half sacks, 24 passes defensed, six forced fumbles and three interceptions during regular season play. In two postseason games this season Harper has been busy, making nine tackles and forcing an Adrian Peterson fumble in the NFC Championship game.

“It’s pretty amazing to look at it and say you’ve faced Kurt Warner, Brett Favre and now getting ready for Peyton Manning,” he said. “I mean these are three of the best quarterbacks of our generation and guys that have earned all of the accolades that they have earned. Three future Hall of Famers, I think that says it all.”

Harper admitted that he was floored at the reception he and his teammates received following the NFC Championship win over the Vikings. “A lot of the guys went out in the city after the game and despite the fact that it was late and everyone was pretty drained, it was unbelievable to see the pure joy everyone had,” he said. “I mean people were just coming up to us saying, ‘thank you for everything you have done for us and our city.’ It’s pretty overwhelming. To a degree we (the players) are pretty isolated and focused on what we need to do to get ready to play in these games, and then when you step out and are around the fans, you feel their passion and see and hear what it means to them.”

“The thing that will always stick with me is the sight of our fans and the happiness they experienced when the (Halas) Trophy was being awarded on the stage. To look up and see Mr. Benson and his smile and guys like Drew and Darren and all our teammates and know that we are going to the Super Bowl is amazing. And to have the confetti and streamers flying and seeing guys like Anthony Hargrove acting like a kid with a smile a million miles wide—that’s special and something that will stick with me forever.”

“Now our attention turns towards getting ready to playing the Colts,” he said. “I think it’s fitting. The two teams that played the best in their conferences all season long and earned the top spots. Both teams have earned the right to go to the biggest game. It’s going to be a heck of a challenge. But it’s exciting. There are only two teams left.”

Harper said that he has drawn increased motivation from the presence and words of Hall of Fame safety Ronnie Lott, who spoke to the Saints team before the team’s final preseason game in Oakland and also on the eve of the NFC Conference championship game.

“He’s done it all in his career,” Harper said. “I have talked to him because he played the position better than anyone and understands the challenges. He has been a great resource and it’s an honor to get his insight. He talks about being special and being completely prepared and focusing on preparation and doing everything the right way. I can’t think of a better person to hear that from than Ronnie.”

“He talks about eliminating distractions and just getting ready to play,” Harper concluded. “It’s great advice to take, especially when there is so much going on right now.”

The buzzing phones will have to wait. “I’m sure, or at least hope, they all understand.”

SteelCity1981
Msg: 554
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:25:32 PM
I don't see the Saints beating the Colts, hell they wouldn't have beaten the Vikings either if it wasnt' for the Vikings coughing up the ball soo much. Normally I would contribute that to a defense doing that but my god Peterson missplaying the hand offs and Favres stupid throws that he knew he shouldn't have thrown for INT's cost them the game.
 sum1reel
Msg: 555
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/26/2010 8:35:38 PM

Normally I would contribute that to a defense doing that but my god Peterson missplaying the hand offs and Favres stupid throws

Favre did certainly make some foolish plays, especially his last one (in regulation time)........but i don't think his O line did enuff for him....he was taking some big hits as soon as he released the ball all game long....towards the end, he was spent!

But despite the turn-overs, it still amazes me that the game was tied at the end of regulation...in the super-dome!........and keep in mind, the Vikes had some key players missing due to injuries!

In short, had Favre made 1 less error.....i doubt the game wudda gone into OT.

In OT of course it not a matter of who the 'better' team is....it comes down to the luck of the coin toss (and subsequent bad call against the Vikes)....that mattered!

I'm not saying the Saints didn't deserve the win......but they shouldn't be crowing!

By watching that game...The Colts should have gotten good insight as to what they need to do, both offensively & defensively.
 petebelongs
Msg: 556
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/27/2010 7:13:13 AM
sum1, you're right, the Saints have very little to crow about from the game against the Vikes. It was one of the worst games and offensive game plans of this year. Breesus was shaky, at best. His throws were not crisp and accurate nor were they up to his standard, many looking like wounded ducks coming off of his hand. We had some success running the ball, mostly with dives rather than the end arounds and other trick running plays that Sean Payton has always seemed to be so fond of calling. When we are getting some good push off of the line, you have to run the ball down their throats. Our third down play calls and execution was just terrible. And it still astounds me that on the one fourth down play, while trying to draw the Vikes defense offsides, Goodwin didn't snap the ball after K. Williams jumped into the neutral zone! What was he thinking of? How could he have not seen Williams jump? Just terrible execution!
On a brighter note, the defensive was aggressive and put Favre on the ground numerous times, although they had no sacks to their credit and did force several of the fumbles but certainly not all of the fumbles. Thank you Vikings! I would have like to have seen us stay more with the man to man coverage and stay away from the zones. Our special teams played pretty well and had decent coverage overall and the Roby and P. Thomas run backs were important.
This was very far from the best game the Saints played all year and to have any chance to beat the Colts, we have to play far better than we did against the Vikings. The Colts will need to, and I'm sure they will, study the game tapes of the Cardinals and Patriots games which were most likely the 2 best games of the Saints this year.
 Kulbrz
Msg: 557
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/27/2010 3:55:47 PM
Oh boy heres all those excuses why the saints shouldnt of won lol See ya in Miami!!
 MGMLION
Msg: 558
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/27/2010 6:54:02 PM

In short, had Favre made 1 less error.....i doubt the game wudda gone into OT.

On one of Favre's INT's in the 3rd Qtr when he was hit up high by one linemen and low below the knee by McCray should have drew a flag for a roughing the passer personal foul on that play. That would have nullified one of his INT's would have definately put them in field goal range or possible 7 more Viking points. For Favre he never did benefit from the new "Tom Lady" Rule.
 sum1reel
Msg: 559
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/27/2010 9:20:45 PM

On one of Favre's INT's in the 3rd Qtr when he was hit up high by one linemen and low below the knee by McCray should have drew a flag for a roughing the passer personal foul on that play.

despite that, he still cudda won it on his own....with a few less errors!

Favre he never did benefit from the new "Tom Lady" Rule.

This rule was put in place strictly with Brady in mind.......all season long its kinda been a discretionary call by the ref....which shouldn't be, given the weight that the NFL puts on video-tech to review plays & calls!

Bottom line is that the NFl doesn't wanna see an 'over-the-hill' Favre in the SB......no more than they wanted to see Eli face Brady back in SB07.......so you can draw your own conclusion!
 JackDiamond312
Msg: 560
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 12:55:08 AM

the NFl doesn't wanna see an 'over-the-hill' Favre in the SB

Really? I don't know about that... Seems the Vik's have been having record televised games, and Favre had his best year. His story would have been good for the game. I think the NFL knows he would have been great for the SB.

I think people just like to analyze things way too much. (Like me) Thinking one call or play would change the outcome of the game. I agree the Vik's gave the Saints a heck of a game and could have pulled it out if they didn't make all those mistakes, but couldda, shouldda doesn't mean they wouldda.

The only call that could change an out come, is a last play in the game, that if a bad call was made and a score could have won the game. We can all speculate, and there can be good odds.... But nothing is a given.

The Colts are good, The "O" is a machine with Manning, but their "D" won't hold down the Saints like the Vik's.

The Saints need to stay lose and not get caught up in the moment, and they'll play great.

I also have to say, I was hoping for the Jets, but now that the Colts are playing, at least now I only have one team in the game to root for, that makes it nice. Go Saints

One more thing, since I don't make it here often.... It sucks that the Senior bowl is on the NFL Channel... don't get that. It's retarded.
 sum1reel
Msg: 561
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 10:34:39 AM

Seems the Vik's have been having record televised games, and Favre had his best year.

...and Favre is mainly the reason for this, as he has surprised alot of pple, and has shut-up his critics!!!!.............but he is not the "face" of the NFL, he is an oddity in his own realm.

He has certainly been effective for the Vix.......but i'm sure Goodell doesn't wanna have a SB with the Vix, where 40 yr old Favre is making the kinda errors he did playing the saints.....its kinda like finding a fly in your gourmet soup!!!

I'm sure Goodell likes this match-up....you got Brees who manages a powerful offense and Manning who is the best QB, and who also is the current golden boy!

The Colts are good, The "O" is a machine with Manning, but their "D" won't hold down the Saints like the Vik's.

well, they overcame the Jets who were supposed to have the best D in the league!...if that is true then they shouldn't have trouble with the saint's D.
 dennyden
Msg: 562
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 11:11:01 AM
^^^ i think it will come down to which "d" makes enuff plays, the fact is u r not going to shut down either of these teams "o's". so it will be what teams makes the big play on "d".just keep in mind how well the saints ran the ball this year. they went over 120 yards in 11 or 12 games this year and the colts have just shut down 2 of the top5 rushing attacks. also i dont think the nfl pulls of only ceratin players to get in like say the nbs does, now it helps them to have manning in the superbowl, but i dont think they pull for the players to be there. example the nba was crushed when they didnt get kobe vs lebron, i dont think this is the case in the nfl, they market the game more then the players, in my opinion.
 petebelongs
Msg: 563
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 12:04:19 PM

The Road to Lombardi: The three "Js" of New Orleans
By Doug Farrar

Every day up to Super Sunday, we'll be featuring a different player or position group important to a Super Bowl victory for either the Indianapolis Colts or the New Orleans Saints. We start with three under-the-radar Saints whose performances will go a long way to deciding whether New Orleans will host the Lombardi Trophy over the next year.

Left tackle Jermon Bushrod(notes): A fourth-round pick out of Towson University in 2007, Bushrod is one of several small-school players wisely selected by the Saints' excellent and underrated front office. He was thrown into the spotlight protecting Drew Brees'(notes) blind side in September after a hip injury sidelined starting left tackle Jammal Brown(notes) for the season. He's been in over his head at times, but he's also held his own against some pretty solid-edge-rushers. The Saints finished the 2009 regular season ranked second on Football Outsiders' Adjusted Line Yards stat, and fourth in Adjusted Sack Rate. However, they also finished 24th in ALY in running plays marked to left end, and 14th to left tackle, while putting up much higher numbers in the middle and right side. Bushrod will have a major challenge on his hands in Colts end Dwight Freeney(notes), and he'll need to use a wide base and excellent pad level to keep Brees safe.

Right guard Jahri Evans(notes) (pictured above): Another small-school Saint made good, Evans was taken in the fourth round a year earlier than Bushrod, and he's developed into one of the best right guards in the NFL. He was named to his first Pro Bowl this season, and he's a primary reason the Saints are so effective in running plays marked as "Mid/Guard" -- only the Packers had a better ALY total in the A-gaps, and the Saints also ranked fourth in runs headed further out to the right. Evans isn't just powerful; he also has the flexibility to pull to the left or outside right, which makes him a perfect pointman in a Sean Payton-designed offense that befuddles opposing defenses with multiple formations.

Cornerback Jabari Greer(notes): In weeks 1 through 9 of the 2009 season, the Saints ranked third in Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings against the pass. In weeks 10 through 17, they plummeted to 20th. It's no coincidence that Greer, the former Buffalo cornerback signed by the Saints as a free agent in the offseason, missed weeks 10 through 16 with a groin injury after playing spectacularly in the season's first half. Some cornerbacks struggle with man coverage fater playing a lot of zone in prior seasons -- the Saints found this out the hard way when they signed ex-Colt Jason David(notes) after the 2006 season, a disastrous move for all involved. Greer has been just the opposite, ranking second behind only Darrelle Revis(notes) in FO's metrics for NFL cornerbacks (albeit in half a season). Greer will be targeted heavily, as he'll most likely draw the unenviable assignment of covering Reggie Wayne(notes) in the Super Bowl.
 petebelongs
Msg: 564
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 12:19:13 PM

NFL Team Report: Hidden Gem Greer Ready To Be Unveiled In Super Bowl
SportingNews
14 hours, 59 minutes ago

Buzz up! 0 Print
Jabari Greer

SportingNews
Close observers of the Saints know how much of an impact CB Jabari Greer(notes) has made since signing as a free agent from Buffalo last spring. But the rest of the football-watching world will be introduced to New Orleans’ hidden gem the next two weeks. The 5-11 former track star has been every bit as important to the Saints’ improvement on defense as All-Pro S Darren Sharper(notes), a fellow free-agent addition.

Greer, 27, has been outstanding when healthy, and the defense suffered when he missed seven games with a groin/sports hernia injury in November and December. He has allowed only one TD pass all season—on a controversial push-off by the Falcons’ Roddy White(notes). And Greer has played at a shutdown level when matched against Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald(notes), Minnesota’s Sidney Rice(notes), Detroit’s Calvin Johnson(notes) and Buffalo’s Terrell Owens(notes).

Statistical services have rated Greer as the second-most efficient cornerback behind the Jets’ Darrelle Revis(notes). The Saints don’t often match Greer man-to-man against top receivers, since they also trust second-year CB Tracy Porter(notes) quite a bit. But Greer could see a lot of action on Super Sunday against Pro Bowl WR Reggie Wayne(notes), who usually stays on the same side of the field.

The play of Greer and Porter has allowed Saints coordinator Gregg Williams to be more aggressive up front, knowing he can trust the cover men on the back end. …

The Saints put out a lengthy injury report Wednesday, but it’s not worth reading much into. The Saints didn’t actually practice, so they approximated who would have practiced—and apparently they approximated that a lot of guys would have gotten a day of rest. Team officials listed 12 players as not practicing and 12 more as limited. The first "real" injury report will come today when the Saints hold their first practice of the week.

Team officials have been mum on the status of TE Jeremy Shockey(notes), who sent fear into the fan base by tweeting that he spent Tuesday in Birmingham, Ala. There has been no confirmation that he did or didn’t visit Dr. James Andrews while there. But Shockey is fighting through a knee injury, so a visit to Dr. Andrews would make sense, even if it was just for a consultation. —Mike Triplett
More from Sporting News: NFL Team Report:
 dennyden
Msg: 565
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 12:38:41 PM
greer is good with me, then again any former vol is go with me,lol. anyway what does that say for the colts that they have been able to do what they have done with out there best db( bob sanders) all year and also they havent had m. jackson most of the year either. really makes me think how much better we could be if we had a healthy team as well
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 566
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 1:33:10 PM
Bottom line is the Vikings screwed the Vikings in the end. Their screw-ups were the Saints gain. Saints deserve to be in the Superbowl right now and the Vikings don't which is why the Vikings will be sitting at home like the rest of the 30 teams watching the Superbowl.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 567
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 2:45:26 PM
Saints have a special delivery package of whoopass addressed to Peyton Manning.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/gregg-williams-wants-saints-to-deliver-remember-me-shots-to-colts-peyton-manning/1
"This guy's got a great clock in his head. The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."
 petebelongs
Msg: 568
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/28/2010 5:06:12 PM
METAIRIE, La. (AP)—Jeremy Shockey(notes) is headed back to Miami, where the flamboyant tattooed bachelor with long blond locks is no stranger to the South Beach social scene.

The New Orleans Saints’ star tight end doesn’t sound like he’s in any mood to party just yet though. For the second time in three seasons, his team is in the Super Bowl, and this time he expects to play.

“We just have to be smart in every aspect (and avoid) guys going out, doing stupid stuff, getting in trouble,” said Shockey, who made news last offseason by passing out, dehydrated, at a pool-side party in Las Vegas. “A lot of people put a lot of hours, time in, injuries and so on … so I think everyone is mature enough in this locker room to know how much is at stake.”

FILE - In this Jan. 3, 2010 fi…

AP - Jan 28, 3:43 pm EST NFL Gallery ADVERTISEMENT

Although Shockey is still dealing with right knee soreness that has limited him in New Orleans’ two playoff games—and kept him out of Thursday’s practice — the Saints hope to have him on the field. Including playoffs, New Orleans 15-0 when Shockey plays, 0-3 when he doesn’t.

With four catches for 45 yards and a TD in two playoff games, Shockey sounds confident he will play in the Super Bowl against the Indianapolis Colts—and play better.

“The last two games you guys have seen me play, it wasn’t really me,” Shockey said Thursday. “I was out there on one leg. It felt like being on a pogo stick. This week I’ll have two pogo sticks instead of one.”

Earlier this week, Shockey flew to Birmingham, Ala., to get a second opinion from noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews on what coach Sean Payton described as “more of a bruise.”

Payton and Shockey said the examination left them encouraged.

“There’s no holding the reins back,” Shockey said. “I’ll do everything I can, even it that requires hurting myself, to win the game because you got a lot of time to rehab and things of that nature to get right in the offseason.”

Shockey, who starred in college at Miami and has made south Miami Beach his home, watched from a suite two seasons ago as his New York Giants won the Super Bowl.

The four-time Pro Bowler had missed the last month of the 2007 regular season and all of the Giants’ climactic playoff run with a broken left leg. He said later that he felt alienated from the organization during the playoffs. He did not travel with the team to the Super Bowl, or stay in the team hotel, or watch from the sideline as most injured teammates would.

Shockey then worked out on his own in Miami instead of attending the Giants’ voluntary workouts, hoping for a trade that eventually came when he was shipped to New Orleans days before 2008 training camp.

He still got a Giants championship ring, which he sent to his mother. He said he’d do the same even if he won another ring with New Orleans.

“I don’t wear rings,” he said, smiling playfully as he held up his left hand. “I’m not married—not married at all.”

Shockey was bitter about the way his time in New York ended, but maintains he was delighted to see Eli Manning(notes) lead the Giants’ to a dramatic victory that ended New England’s bid for a perfect season.

“It was a great feeling watching my teammates have success and enjoy it and deserve what they got,” Shockey said. “They deserved that championship, Eli and all those guys.”

Shockey wanted to come to New Orleans, where he could be reunited with Payton, who was the Giants’ offensive coordinator for Shockey’s first two years in New York. In his rookie season, Shockey set what are still career highs for catches (74) and yards (894).

Payton remembered those days fondly as well and wanted Shockey back. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said Payton asked him constantly about trading for Shockey throughout that offseason. The Giants finally agreed in exchange for second- and fifth-round draft picks.

Payton liked Shockey’s outward intensity and saw it as something that could be an asset, giving his offense more of a swagger.

“It’s important for a player to be himself and that is something that I think he’s done ever since we had him as a rookie in New York, so we’re very comfortable with that,” Payton said. “There is a confidence level he brings to the huddle.”

Shockey’s first season in New Orleans did not go as hoped. He pulled up lame in training camp with what was thought to be a hamstring injury, but was later found diagnosed as a sports hernia. He missed four games, played hurt in others and wound up with 50 catches for 483 yards and no touchdowns.

For most of this season, he was healthy, catching 48 passes for 569 yards and three TDs. Even when he didn’t have a lot of catches, his presence appeared to be a distraction for defenses, creating opportunities for teammates. Fellow tight end David Thomas(notes) had his best day as a receiver when Shockey was on the field.

After hurting his foot in the Saints’ 13th game of the season in Atlanta, he missed the last three games, then hurt his knee in New Orleans’ first playoff game against Arizona. The injury occurred before he hobbled 17 yards to make a touchdown catch on the goal line. He saw limited action the following week against Minnesota and had only one catch for 9 yards.

Still, the Saints were happy to have him out there and think he can make a difference if he plays in Miami.

“I know how much he wants to be a part of this game,” Saints quarterback Drew Brees(notes) said. “I know he’s going to be ready and just having him out there, most great tight ends are big-time matchup problems for teams just because it’s a safety (or) it’s a linebacker having to cover them. We feel good about that.”

This dude definately travels to the beat of a different drum!
The above is a Stone Ponies reference, for you young'uns that may not know!
 dennyden
Msg: 569
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/29/2010 5:28:36 AM
Saints have a special delivery package of whoopass addressed to Peyton Manning.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/gregg-williams-wants-saints-to-deliver-remember-me-shots-to-colts-peyton-manning/1
"This guy's got a great clock in his head. The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."

blah blah blah, isnt this the same guy who couldnt cut it as a head coach?? i know hes a great d cord. but come on man, why do coaches do this? williams should go ask rex ryan and his number 1 d how it worked out for them,lol. the saints d is not all that good, its just that there o scores enuff points to cover for them. if they think they are going get to a boatload of tunrovers like they did against the vikes, well they might be wrong.wasnt manning sacked like 10 times all year, but i guess williams and his avg. d has something for manning. as a colts fan i say bring the blitz, and we will see manning beat the blitz. also as a saints fan, why would you want ur coach to say this, everyone knows that the nfl protects its qbs right? well now because of ur d cord. the refs will be watching for the hits, doesnt seems all that smart, then again maybe its things like that is why he couldnt cut it as a head coach, something to think about!!!
 broncsbuff
Msg: 570
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/29/2010 8:44:22 AM
The Saints gave up 28 points to a vikings team that turned the ball over....

I just dont understand the logic of thinking all of a sudden your gonna blitz manning and shut him down....

Nothing against the saints, nothing at all...feel good story...I just dont see a close game though...

Colts 42...saints 21
 MGMLION
Msg: 571
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/29/2010 9:45:58 AM

just dont understand the logic of thinking all of a sudden your gonna blitz manning and shut him down....

Nothing against the saints, nothing at all...feel good story...I just dont see a close game though...

Colts 42...saints 21

You don't blitz manning the the score will be worse than that.
 itechman63
Msg: 572
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:11:13 AM
Peyton is the master of taking what you give him. They're ready for the blitzes so you're going to see some early 3 step drops and quick slants with receivers having days to run after the catch because the coverage guys are going to be locked up with blockers at the line.

The Saints offense as explosive as it is, struggles with quick defenses and I don't think there's a defense quicker than is the Colts.

It's not going to be pretty.
 dennyden
Msg: 573
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:13:27 AM
You don't blitz manning the the score will be worse than that.

i guess u dont watch alot of colts games, the colts read and pick up the blitz is where they get there mis matches. like i said as a colts fan, i say bring the blitz. please use the same game plan as the ravens and the jets.
 skoochie
Msg: 574
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/29/2010 12:10:51 PM
Favre through for tb fewest ints in the league this year and the Saints got his passes. Oh yeah, Favre threw the ball to the defense rather than the rush was about to level him so he was forced to throw. And he intentionall threw
it right to defenders just stood their catching balls withou making any adjustments or playing tigh coverage.

Manning is gonna throw 45 times in this game because they don't have real run threat. They're goinog to go down swinging using their bread and butter. Only problem is, he's throwing against the most opportunistic defense in the league. I expect three ints in this game. I'll promise you one int in the fourth. That's when they love causing turnovers.

Pardon me. I forgot. They don't cause turnovers. Turnovers are just given to them without them doing anything at all.
 dennyden
Msg: 575
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/29/2010 12:24:34 PM
the colts havent a run game all year, yet they went 14-0 with out one, go figure!! anyway the saints where very good at getting turnovers, that has nothing to do with this week. keep in mind manning threw almost 40 times against the #1 d in the nfl and we threw at the best corner in the game, i dont think the colts will change a single thing next week, in my opinion. also theres a difference between getting turnovers from the bucs and manning, maybe he will give up a couple, that alone doesnt mean the saints will win. like i said he did very well against 2 of the best ds in the nfl. but i do think ur right about the turnovers, most of the time the deffense does cause them, and i never said they didnt just for the record
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > New Orleans Saints