Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > New Orleans Saints      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dennyden
Msg: 601
view profile
History
New Orleans SaintsPage 25 of 72    (11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51)
^^^ i tend to think that u are wrong about that, again just my opinion. but manning has been in the nfl for 12years or so years, how may times has he heard this junk for a d cord. , i think alot. i think the only thing thats going to be in his mind is what he is reading on the field, thats it. like u said, he is one of the most prepared players in the game, u think a little trash talk is going to throw him off, i think ur wrong. and to b honest , if i was a saints fan i would like to see my team/coaches do a little less talking, but to each there own. as a saints fan you dont want ur team to get caught up in the moment and lose sight of the goal. like someone said lastweek after there win over the jets when ask how did they play good enuff to win, the player said " we just kept our mouths shut all week and prepared". any guess on who that player was??
 petebelongs
Msg: 602
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 8:43:14 AM

Just because Vince Lombardi liked to say, “winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing,” doesn’t make it so.

For starters, Lombardi never lost anything in New Orleans—not even a game.

But Archie Manning did: over and over, just about every way imaginable and nearly 100 times while wearing the fleur-de-lis of the Saints for 11 of his 13 NFL seasons. And then, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, he nearly lost his hometown. Yet just try to find someone who’s led a more charmed life.

Manning is still married to the homecoming queen he swept off her feet at Ole Miss more than four decades ago (1970), when he came calling as the star quarterback. He’s made plenty of money since, lost none of his charisma, only so much of his hair and at age 60, remains within an enviable few pounds of his playing weight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Better still, Manning found a way to ease any lingering hurts from all that losing. Beginning this week, for the third time in the last four years—and the second time courtesy of middle son Peyton—people are going to fuss over Archie at the Super Bowl.

“I never got close to it, certainly,” he said, referring to his playing days, “so maybe there’s justice there.”

Or maybe not.

Because the team waiting for Peyton Manning(notes) and the Indianapolis Colts is the same franchise that Archie toiled for, his sons grew up rooting for, and no one in town for most of its existence ever really expected would amount to much. But that was before the Saints got serious and after they nearly got washed away with the rest of New Orleans. As a result, next weekend, they’ll be the last team standing in the way of a third Super Bowl for the Manning clan.

Few people can better appreciate what the team’s rise means to that town than the Manning patriarch. Even so, Archie won’t pretend choosing sides was tough.

“I’m a hundred percent on that, 100 percent,” he said softly last weekend, standing outside a celebrating Colts locker room after their AFC championship win over the Jets. “It’s not close.”

Just a few steps away, Archie and Olivia’s youngest son, Eli, was looking on. Only two years ago, as quarterback of the New York Giants, he orchestrated perhaps the biggest upset in the history of the NFL’s biggest game. But after the Colts’ win, Eli said nothing—he just wore a smile that seems to suggest blood will always be thicker than water, even when that water has the power to roil so many memories.

“I lived in New Orleans 39 years and I’m very proud of what the Saints have done,” Archie said finally. “Very proud.”

Romantic as the relationship looks now, Manning’s days with the Saints weren’t always wine and roses. He was sacked more than 300 times behind New Orleans’ porous offensive line, and so often and so memorably by Rams’ tough front four that he once offered to be the presenter for Jack Youngblood when he entered the Hall of Fame.

“He wouldn’t have gotten in,” Manning said, “without having me to sack.”

He was eight years into his career before producing his one and only non-losing season (8-8, in 1979), only to have the Saints promptly nosedive to 1-15 the season after. Midway through that one, fans began showing up at the Superdome with grocery bags on their heads, and more than once, Archie told Olivia to leave the boys home rather than watch him get mercilessly booed in person.

Even the one game the Saints won that season wound up being a net loss for Archie. After beating the Jets in New York, he hurried out of the locker room without knotting his tie and then stopped on the way to the team bus to sign some autographs. A kid ran by, grabbed his necktie and took off. Manning stepped on the bus without it and wound up getting fined for violating the Saints’ dress code.

Yet the harsh memories faded soon enough. As the three boys became standout athletes at Newman High, the Mannings became fixtures on the sidelines and in car pools. What no one could have known at the time, Archie, included, is how far they would go. He was surprised when Cooper and Peyton, neither much taller than a pair of football pants, announced they were going into the family business. All these years later, Archie continues to insist all three boys learned more of the craft from each other than they ever inherited from him.

Cooper, now 36, never quite made it to the top. He was a promising wide receiver at Ole Miss who had to quit playing following surgery to correct a chronic spinal condition.

“I try to put myself in his shoes and it would be hard to take,” Eli said in an interview during Super Bowl week two years ago. “But I never heard him have a regret, any bitterness or complaints. He got his cards and played them the right way.”

The rise of Peyton, who was two years behind Cooper, was much easier to predict. Peyton was serious enough about the game that when he switched from flag football to tackle in seventh grade, he spent weeks mastering the footwork of the dropback and made Eli learn to snap the ball like a real center— including with the laces up—instead of from the side.

Eli was five years younger than Peyton, and much more easygoing and content to soak the lessons up. But no sooner had he collected a Super Bowl ring and MVP trophy to match the hardware Peyton brought home from the 2007 Super Bowl than Eli demanded a new position the next time the Mannings gathered in the backyard for a pickup game.

“Maybe,” Eli joked at the time, “I can be a receiver now.”

And yet, when Archie was asked whether Eli’s first Super Bowl visit started a fire under his hypercompetitive brother, he ducked the question.

“I don’t go there. I knew I was going to get that question,” he said. “I don’t want to sound greedy. I’m a parent.”

Then, a moment later, Archie added, “After Peyton won, he never seemed like, ‘This is it.’ I never saw him drop off in his preparation or anything.”

Still, brothers have always pushed each other, even in the NFL. According to research from the NFL, by the year in 2007, the year Eli won his title, there had been nine instances where a set of brothers, like the Mannings, succeeded their father into the league.

But from where Archie stands, it looks like nothing more than a little bit of serendipity. Given one more chance to frame his own contribution, Manning rubbed his chin.

“They’re good listeners,” he said, “and the one thing I always told them was ‘Don’t ever take a win for granted. They’re hard to get.”’

Then Archie paused, looked back in the direction of Peyton’s teammates celebrating in the Colts locker room and said to no one in particular, “They’re awfully hard to get.”
 petebelongs
Msg: 603
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 8:53:41 AM

“It's very special,” Manning said after the AFC South Champion Colts (16-2) rallied from an 11-point second-quarter deficit to beat the Jets (11-8) in front of a raucous, stadium-record crowd of 67,650 at Lucas Oil Stadium. “It's great to win this championship here at home in front of the best fans in the world. We have a bunch of guys that have worked hard all season and been very humble. We were very humble this week.

“We just kept our mouth shut this and went to work this week and came out and won the game.”

Let me guess. Was it pitchman Billy Mays from the grave at a seance???
 Kulbrz
Msg: 604
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 8:58:40 AM
I take Mastercard,Visa, and Travlers checks on whatever u wanna bet on ur prediction score Bronc?
 petebelongs
Msg: 605
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:05:42 AM

Saints-Colts a Super matchup
By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer
11 hours, 54 minutes ago

MIAMI (AP)—Peyton Manning(notes), the Big Easy.

Hardly a stretch for a nickname, you know. The NFL’s dominant player can claim New Orleans heritage, after all. At 6-foot-5, 230 pounds, he’s no shrimp. And as the only four-time league MVP, he makes this quarterbacking thing look simple.

Yet when Manning leads his Indianapolis Colts onto the field next Sunday against the Saints in as juicy a Super Bowl matchup as anyone could imagine, all of Nawlins—heck, pretty much any place in Bayou Country—will be wishing the worst on their native son.

Sorry, Peyton, the Saints take precedence in their quest for a first NFL championship.

Manning, whose father Archie was the first Saints superstar, understands.

“It’s certainly an exciting opportunity for our team to be going back to the Super Bowl down in Miami, and I’m very happy for the New Orleans Saints and, of course, the entire city of New Orleans,” Peyton Manning says. “My parents live there, my older brother Cooper lives there. Eli and I have both participated in philanthropic organizations down in New Orleans, whether it’s Katrina relief or just various charities. So New Orleans is a huge part of my life, as well as Eli’s life. My dad’s been a part of the Saints organization for 39 years in some ways. We definitely have strong ties.

“The Saints have had a great year. They deserve it, and I know the city is excited. And the New Orleans Saints players do just wonderful things for the community down there. It’s been a great relationship between the players and fans, and what a great way for these players to reward them with a trip to the Super Bowl.”

But it’s Manning’s job to spoil the party, to put some misery into the Miami Mardi Gras for those Saints and their fans. Nobody is better equipped to do so.

Manning once was criticized for failing to win big games, and his career playoff record is just 9-8. He’s won six of the last eight, though, and led the Colts to the championship three years ago, in the rain in Miami. Indy is 16-2 this time around, and it might have been a perfect 18-0 if the Colts hadn’t pulled Manning and other starters in the final two games of the regular season.

Manning set an NFL record for 300-yard playoff games with his seventh in last week’s AFC championship win over the Jets. He has 22 TD passes, five this year, and averages 284 yards through the air in the postseason.

Against two of the league’s stingiest defenses—Indy beat the Ravens before the Jets—Manning was masterful.

The Saints (15-3) aren’t exactly the 1985 Bears. On defense, they’re not even the 2009 Colts.

Still, Manning is cautious.

“You know a team is going to have a Super Bowl package,” he says. “There are two weeks to prepare. That’s more things they can change. You have to prepare for the unexpected.”

The unexpected? Such as the Aints in the Super Bowl?

Let that one roll around your mind like the good times on Bourbon Street.

The Saints were one of five teams never to get this far; the Lions, Jaguars, Browns and Texans are the remaining outsiders. Clearly, now, the Aints are dead, and a franchise that had no home in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans has become one of the most successful clubs in the nation’s most popular sport.

And while Indy has become as much a football town as a basketball haven thanks to Manning and his minions, it’s difficult to find any city as infatuated with—or as dependent on—its team as Nawlins is now.

Times have been hard for the city, which still is in recovery mode from Katrina. Nothing has provided quite the boost that the Saints’ ascendancy has given New Orleanians.

Indeed, a city steeped in a culture all its own shares a very fundamental trait with the rest of America: pride in local triumph. It’s not something Saints fans are accustomed to, but it’s something Drew Brees(notes) believes can become habit.

“Winning definitely can be contagious,” he says.

The best way to establish such a habit: win next Sunday in the biggest game in New Orleans football history.

“It’s a moment I’ve been waiting for for a long time,” Brees said. “The job is not done yet but obviously we’re going to enjoy this. Now we’ve got to finish it in Miami.”

Can they? If history is an indicator, why not? After all, the Buccaneers had an even uglier resume and they won it all seven years ago, beating one of the premier franchises, the Raiders.

We know the Saints will attack on offense, and getting in a shootout with the Colts is not such a bad idea; New Orleans led the league with 510 points. The Saints, who forced 39 turnovers, must be proactive on defense to match the aggressiveness with which the Colts have performed recently—just as Indy did in its Super Bowl run after the 2006 season.

If Manning gets free rein, he’s likely to have the answer for all those “Who Dats?” they’re proudly screaming in the French Quarter.

It might even be a Big Easy for him.
 broncsbuff
Msg: 606
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:07:46 AM
I take Mastercard,Visa, and Travlers checks on whatever u wanna bet on ur prediction score Bronc?

I dont gamble with people I dont know. I pay on my debts, it seems when I win I never hear from them again. I can tell you this- the colts will cover the spread...right now its at 6

I think the colts will win by at least 10. The saints might get a late garbage td to backdoor it, but 6 is a steal in this game.

OMG PETE...just post the freaking link...
 Kulbrz
Msg: 607
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:14:08 AM
LOL Well 45-23 is more than the 6 points lol
 broncsbuff
Msg: 608
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:25:58 AM

LOL Well 45-23 is more than the 6 points lol

what is your point?...I have said a million times I think they will not only cover the spread, but blow it out of the water. I am suprised the line isnt about 10 or 11 points. Your getting less than a td with the best qb the game has ever seen. A very underrated defense.

The game will be close at halftime, then in the second half manning will showcase why he is not only the best, but the smartest.

Again, I have nothing against the saints. Its a feel good story. I just think the colts are that much better.

by the way....why would I bet someone on a score?...if the score turns out to be 40-28..I would be wrong.

It will be a blowout...like I said colts will win by 2 tds or more. The saints might get a late garbage td to make it closer than it seems.
 petebelongs
Msg: 609
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:44:42 AM
broncs, if you knew half of what you think you know, you'd be a mensa.
If you were half as good a football pronosticator as you think, you'd be a millionaire by now!
If the Saints come out and play like they did against the Pats and Cards, they beat the Colts going away!
Geaux Saints!!!!!!! Bring the wood!!!!!! Win the title!!!!!!
 broncsbuff
Msg: 610
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 10:03:36 AM
Pete..

You and I both know if the saints lose you will dissapear...lets call it what it is...
 Kulbrz
Msg: 611
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 10:49:08 AM
Oh Sheesh . Sorry if i offended ya, My cousin, Is gonna show Manning who the best Qb is lol watch the game hahaha
 Kulbrz
Msg: 612
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 10:53:27 AM
I wont disappear, ill sit here and take the bs if we lose lol Saints want it more bad anyways..Watch how they play this game they way they hit the colts players hahaha Smashmouth Football!!! Who Dat Nation is coming to Miami!!
 wizardofossington
Msg: 613
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 11:19:47 AM
My cousin

Funny....And Brady is my brother in my mind too ....Whatcha trying to say?

broncsbuff
Msg: 614
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 11:30:46 AM

Saints want it more bad anyways..

sweet..sport cliches..here you go...I will get all in the open for you to save yourself..

this is what the saints need to do to win...

1. They have to make plays on both sides of the ball
2. They have to give it 110%
3. They need to just "play their game"
4. Drew Brees will have his "game face on"
5. Drew Brees needs to "take care of the ball"

Ok there you go..with all that said...colts in a blowout STILL....
 wizardofossington
Msg: 615
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 11:38:58 AM
These are the best two teams in the 2009 NFL season. The Colts are favored to take it, but I say it can go either way. Don't count the Saints out of this yet....Saints are good!!!
 skoochie
Msg: 616
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 11:48:56 AM
Gaurantee you the Saints are a better team than the Jets. If the Saints get up on The Colts by eleven, the Colts might as well go to the locker room because the offense won't sit idle waiting for the Colts to come back.

Denn,
No I didn't have to Google to find out about the passer rating when you asked about it. I just wanted to copy and paste it from somewhere else because I dont know how to write formulas on POF.
You could have went to wiki and answered your question about college and NFL passer ratings. The answer is that college uses a different formula than the NFL and Canadian laegues. But, that's a moot point so long as everyone is playing on the same playing field in their own league.
Hey, I'm not trying to call you out. Just debating with you. I see we will have to agree to disagree.

Broncs,
Thanks for all the stupid sports cliches. I'm trying not to watch the NFL Network until friday before the SB so I don't have to hear all that stupid crap.
 dennyden
Msg: 617
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 12:31:59 PM
skochie, the point i was making is that that formula doesn take into account the intanigables of the game. there has been other years that the qb with the best rating didnt win the mvp. so u are telling me that u know the formula, not that u look it up and understand but u know it off the top of your head, wow that impressive!!. but u do make a good point about the saints , if they get up by 11 it will be hard to come back, just like if the saints need to depend on the colts having as many turnovers as the vikes did to win, well it will be hard for them to win.
 skoochie
Msg: 618
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 12:46:17 PM
The Saints can rely on their D to CAUSE turnovers. There's nothing wrong with that. I've never seen a QB intentionally throw a pick or drop the ball. The Saints have been causing turnovers all year. The Vikings game only surprised the non-Saints fans who were finally analyzing them. They made a mischaracter of judgement when they came away saying the Vikes GAVE UP the turnovers. The Saints cause turnovers. They've done that all year.

If the Saints get up early, the Colts will have to throw the ball more, and the Saints have the D to pick those balls. Let's not act like Manning is perfect and can't be rattled and get picked off. The Colts might throw it fifty times. There's no way the Saints don't get three of those.
 dennyden
Msg: 619
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 12:55:14 PM
the only problem relying on them is some times u dont get them, thats for any and all teams. u right manning will throw the ball, they have all year that what happens when u have no running game and u havent all year, have u just come to understand that? again if the colts get up early then the saints will be in the same postion. the teams mirror each other. so anything u say about the saints is most likely true for the colts. no manning isnt prefect, as far as i know there is no prefect qb, not even drew breese. so i guess they both can and will make mistakes.
 MGMLION
Msg: 620
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 12:55:58 PM
My cousin

And Who's your "Daddy"?.............Peyton Manning
 Kulbrz
Msg: 621
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 1:08:24 PM
I take Mastercard,Visa,and Travlers checks if ud like to make a wager on the He is my Cousin...Bet all ya want too pleaseeeeee
 skoochie
Msg: 622
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 1:52:16 PM
Denny,
The Saints have the higher powered offense. They will be able to come back from a defecit better than the Colts will. The thing about the Saints defense is when opponents get behind, they get more turnovers. The Saints offense has come from behind several times. The problem you'll find is that the Colts have to keep putting the ball in the air even if they have a lead. The Saints don't have that problem because they can run the ball. I really don't think the Colts have seen a defensive scheme like the Saints have.

Denny, you've got a lot of pride in your team. I like that you're in here, as the sole Colts fan, representing your team.
 Kulbrz
Msg: 623
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 7:07:53 PM
I really do agree with you Skoochie!
 HDready10
Msg: 624
view profile
History
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 8:02:08 PM
leaves ya spell binded dont it kulbrz. whoever would think the saints in the super bowl.
say dude i saw some of my cusins today at a anniversary. whens the last time you saw yours?
 electrifying84
Msg: 625
New Orleans Saints
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:35:13 PM
I just have to say this before the super bowel.......Go Colts!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > New Orleans Saints