Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bree_baby
Msg: 101
Flowers on the first date?Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
A single rose on a first date would make any woman smile
 sparda9
Msg: 102
Flowers on the first date?
Posted: 7/6/2007 5:45:06 PM
Korny and cheesy. BUT... it depends on how it's done. If you are picking her up at her house or just going to her house, you can give it to her then. But if you are meeting her for coffee or for dinner, she probably isn't going to want to have to have those flowers with her for the whole date, but who knows. At least if you meet her at her crib, she can place them on the table before you two go out somewhere.
 tigerlil
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2007 5:57:11 PM
OH yes, a single rose, that is so romantic! I love to be treated like a lady and I would surely appreciate it!
 QTpye16
Msg: 104
Posted: 7/6/2007 6:01:14 PM
Most definitely something I would appreciate, it's very rare to come by.
 sparda9
Msg: 105
Posted: 7/6/2007 7:12:10 PM
Ok... a single flower for the first date. I'll have to keep that in my mental rolodex
 warm evenings
Msg: 106
Posted: 7/6/2007 9:06:35 PM
Call me weird.... but a single red rose reminds me of 2 things...
a plastic bucket outside of the corner store where they sell them for a buck... and those slimy guys that wander the bars trying to sell single roses to drunk men, so they can try to lure a woman back to their place. Its kind of tacky.

To me... good conversation and picking up the tab at dinner is more than enough.

If I have a great date with someone, receiving flowers after, as a gift for an enjoyable evening, is more appropriate and quite flattering.
 marmeeeeget
Msg: 107
Posted: 7/6/2007 10:33:58 PM
NO WAY.

I think it's a bad move...In my opinion.... I would rather wait to get them, it freaks me out and I don't like it. Maybe I am weird, but I had a guy bring me a dozen red roses on a first date-for some reason I didn't like it..I really didn't..I thought it was too much too soon. I had to carry them around all night and it was a royal pain in the ass. Not to mention at dinner he tried to give me an Egyptian golden eye charm.. (I happen to mention in passing that I always liked ancient cultures.) But this wasn't an online meeting-I had met him a few months before and the flowers still threw me off.

No to the flowers-call me a whatever-but I think it's a weird move. :/ Just how I feel though...it puts too much pressure on the girl for reciprocation. It was a nice gesture, but I think that should be reserved for someone u really like..and if you're going out on a first date-you can't know these things.
 SisterHavana
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2007 10:47:00 PM
It is a nice idea, although if we're meeting up somewhere and going to more than one place, it would be a little awkward to carry it around.

A dozen roses on a first date = NO. That's TOO awkward.
 bolond
Msg: 109
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:33:14 AM
One rose or a bunch of roses or even great big bunches of whatever happens to be on display in the cemetery as I pass through it on the way to the date. Value is of no consequence......
 SideOfFries
Msg: 110
Posted: 7/7/2007 1:03:29 AM
Flowers of a first date??? I wouldn't do that... What they really want is a nice cold sholder the first date. Nothing says 'you look stunning' like the reflection of herself off the bald spot on the back of your head as you turn to another lady at the bar, or gawk at the waitress that walks by.
haha... no, it's a sweet thought but I think you may have to analyze the person a little bit and maybe bring it to the table on the second date. Some may find it a little over the top.
 lala69
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/10/2007 2:52:05 PM
Ye s,...... I would l it and he get 10 cool points
 dead account
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/10/2007 3:10:48 PM
I'm a little confused here with all this....

Women complain that there is no romance any more, but yet they say that if a man was to bring them a single rose... a gesture of good faith, a sign that he cared enough to think about her.... to say that the guy is a wierdo...?

Sigh, no wonder there are so many single women on this board....

Personally, I would not have a second date with her if she couldn't appreciate a simple flower, a gesture of romance.
 seabreeze_0702
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/11/2007 5:37:09 PM
Personally, I would not want flowers on the first date. Save that for later on. I would also rather have a nice mixed bunch than roses. But that's just me.
 get_rad
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2007 7:24:37 PM
I have always gave a single rose to my past dates and they all loved it.
To those who a negative about it; yeah right, I bet your face would turn the same color of the rose being given if the person did.
 evrybdy
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2007 8:50:19 AM
I can't get over the amount of women turning down a gift. I mean, you'll be begging for gifts later on and wondering why these guys won't show give them to you.lol I say bring on the flowers! They are beautiful, special, delicate and a true appreciation of you allowing the man a chance to show you a wonderful time (and it doesn't have to be sex, geez), and you can also do that for him as well. Anyone who thinks it's cheesy doesn't remember what true romance is like anyways.

And I love red roses, not for any hidden meanings, but because I love the color red!

M
 SpanishSugarrr
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/12/2007 10:21:58 AM
it's as classy as heck! extra points!
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/12/2007 11:32:35 AM
NO NEVER! NO KISSING ON A FIRST DATE, NO FLOWERS.

Roses are special and should only be given with some meaning behind them. Daisies are safe to give anytime, except for a first date.

DO NOT GIVE FLOWERS ON A FIRST DATE.
 willow6
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2007 11:45:28 AM
Hi,
I would love it .I'm a sucker for romance-and roses too!They are my fave flowers.If a guy I liked did that I would be well impressed!
 Finger_Picker
Msg: 119
Posted: 7/12/2007 9:08:06 PM
Never do it, man. It's a first date. Just show up on time, give her ONE compliment about how nice she looks and then be charming and attentive from there, but more importantly, be a challenge...

I know many women here have replied that they would enjoy it, but really, if you're charming and witty and they had a great time, they won't mind if you didn't bring anything at all except a bit of game...
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2007 4:00:58 AM
So, it I understand the women in this thread correctly, giving a flower on the first date is either very romantic....or the biggest mistake possible.

We need to agree on some sort of sign , or pin to wear, for women to signal which side of this great divide they stand on to us clueless males.

This is EXACTLY why I stopped buying them on first dates.

"A rose...for you ..."

Heather Honey0
Msg: 121
Posted: 7/13/2007 4:06:04 AM
WOW! I am impressed chivarly is not deed indeed! But I think it's definitely in critical condition

Personally I think its a sweet thing to do. I'd just make sure the girl wasn't allergic to flowers.
 000firefighter
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/13/2007 4:30:39 AM
My mother, bless her soul, kept a rose that my father gave to her on their first date, she used take out her bible and show me that flattened out rose, pressed between the covers, she would say " your father was a good man". I now have that rose and take it out and look at it and think,"wow this is from my parents first date". So for you ladies that don't like to get flowers, you have no idea of the memories that a simple rose can hold for you one day...
I will have it encased in acrylic soon and place it at their resting place, so they can share it once more.
 Once in a Blue_Moon
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/15/2007 9:13:32 AM
Okay first my opinion on the topic. I have received a single red rose on a first meeting, and I thought it was very sweet. Never saw the guy again, but hey it was a wonderful gesture. That is much better than receiving flowers on those occasions that the poor guys are reminded for six months, "don't forget it's valentine's day in 180 days, don't forget it's her birthday, don't forget..." well you get the point, I'd much prefer to get them spontaneously, then special occasions where they have been told to do it.

To me... good conversation and picking up the tab at dinner is more than enough.

This almost got me started. Another thread though.

I will have it encased in acrylic soon and place it at their resting place, so they can share it once more.

Now you've made all the girls cry ... what a meanie What a wonderful, thoughtful, amazing thing to do! Your parents' relationship is from a fairy tale.
 feathertickles
Msg: 124
Posted: 7/15/2007 9:26:22 AM
How very sweet of you firefighter to bring that rose back to your parents to share. It is true the memories that can be held by that one special moment. Too many people these days read too much into the simple gestures.
 tracyco
Msg: 125
Posted: 7/15/2007 9:26:33 AM
definitely, but then I am a big romantic , you could pick me a wildflower beside the road and I'd be smiling..
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?