Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 7rainbows
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Flowers on the first date?Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
No, flowers belong in the Earth, i would be totally put off if a guy gave me flowers on a date. I wouldnt want a flower to have lost its life for me.

I dont believe in cutting them for funerals, weddings, birthdays, any reason really. Though i do cut herbs for cooking and healing etc though always try to put back to the Earth what i have taken. Unlike florists who sell for personal profit and some guys seem to think they can impress a woman by flashing their wealth around, which to me means nothing.

No chocs either please im a vegan
 dead account
Msg: 127
Flowers on the first date?
Posted: 7/15/2007 4:03:24 PM
OK... lets go this route...

How about a potted plant ?
 Baronchris
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 4:05:44 AM
If you think enough about it, the first date is not actually a "date", it is a "meeting" to establish iof you like each other enough to actaully go DATING and then is the time actual dates start. The first meeting should be happy, polite and with a drink, alcohol or coffee but remember at that meeting the woman and the man are "equals" both on a date site looking for romance or love or whatever. In reality there is no one chasing the other and no moral or other obligation for either to give gifts or even offer to pay or else that sets a precedence. There are women (THIS IS TRUE) who suggest lunch - "let's do lunch" or "wouldn't it be nice to have lunch" and of course out comes the man's wallet as he is a gentleman or been brainwashed by convention that it is the "man who pays", well it is if you are looking for a wife to run your home and have kids...butthis is usually POST MARITAL DATING not courtship. SO you have lunch, then "I'll ring to let arrange another date" is the usual comment from the woman. Then you get an email saying you are not her type. I know personally a group of no less than FIFTEEN women who practice this in a certain city, it is called THE FLC "FREE LUNCH CLUB" so men beware you have been warned. Treat the first date as a MEETING and then establish the ground rules, if you will meet again what you like doing and if the MAN is to foot the bill each time or go dutch. Remember if women want equality it is demeaning to some women to keep on paying the bills and treating them as incapable and another point most women earn as much as men anyway, so why should men pay every time? For some women it is their way of life, so as I said "beware.
 dead account
Msg: 129
Posted: 7/16/2007 9:27:02 PM
How about stepping things up by declaring that if the woman suggest dinner, lunch or whatever.... she pays. Fair is fair, right ?
 Little Shadow
Msg: 130
Posted: 7/16/2007 9:48:09 PM
Just saw this post, as just began this venture.

Anyone who would not appreciate the " thought" behind the single rose on the first date, may not deserve a second date. Perhaps your date would not yet know of your allergies. In any case, I would appreciate whatever was brought, especially since nothing is expected.

A friend came for dinner one night with his wife. He picked a Gardenia off the bush in my front yard & presented it to me as he came through the front door. I was really tickled & floated it in a vase for the evening.

Another friend brought me a box of candy he told me he bought half off at the grocer after Valentine's day. We sat & enjoyed several pieces right away.

Does it really matter if it is one or 100? Maybe he can't afford more. Should his kind deed be penalized? I think not! Learn to appreciate the little things, as you may miss something really special some day!
 ForSweetSmiles
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 9:54:41 PM
You know I would love it if a guy gave me a rose! I date alot, and it seems like guys know days have forgot the romatic part of dating, and that is what all woman want! Smile Sue
 Willow55
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2007 9:56:57 PM
Well, if I were not allergic to flowers I would say that, depending on the plans for the date, an single rose with baby's breath and fern would be breathtakingly romantic. I added the " depending on the plans " because she may feel very self-conscious dragging that around to wherever you are going. If you are picking her up, then she could choose to bring it or leave it.
Personally, as I am allergic to most flowers, it would not be a great idea unless you wanted our date to include a trip to the emergency room, but hey.... that could be fun.
I don't believe in dinner dates as first dates (for reasons stated in the " what women eat on dates" thread), but if a couple is meeting at a restaurant and perhaps he were to have it there when she arrived, I could see a romantic streak peeking through.

Now, if a man were to show up with a chocolate rose.... he would have my attention as a "creative romantic" and an "outside the box" thinker. If it is a 3rd or 4th date.... maybe some chocolate sauce and whipped cream...for dessert. oops sorry thats another thread.....

And to the poster who has the dried rose from his parents first date. God love you .....your mama did raise a romantic too.

Edit:

Anyone who would not appreciate the " thought" behind the single rose on the first date, may not deserve a second date. Perhaps your date would not yet know of your allergies. In any case, I would appreciate whatever was brought, especially since nothing is expected.

As for a date not knowing... many people who are severly allergic to things tend to mention it . Perhaps he wasn't paying attention and therefore it would be he who did not deserve a second date. I would rather risk being rude and saying no thanks.. than risk an allergic reaction and risk my life by "politely accepting". I always mention my allergies because one of them is scented products so I am very careful to ask that they not wear cologne. Nothing spoils a date faster than a respiratory attack or a bout of anaphylactic shock.
I suppose if the date were a lawyer and emergency transport was required he could truthfully be called an ambulance chaser then , providing he followed.lol
 The3rdShepherd
Msg: 133
Posted: 7/16/2007 10:12:20 PM
Didn't read the whole thing but...

I hate store bought flowers personally. No smell and they feel funny. I tend to give flowers I grew or picked.

My question is, do I look like a cheap-skate for bringing something I picked out of the yard or I saw on the ride to your house?

Another is, some woman say they don't want to get flowers because they die, etc. I tend to give flowers because I like the way they smell and it makes me feel good. I love the look on a womans face so does that make me selfish?

...and I don't expect a woman to carry them around on a date ( maybe an hibiscus in the hair )

the shep
 feathertickles
Msg: 134
Posted: 7/19/2007 6:40:00 AM
Hey Shep
Very nice of you to give flowers you grew or found along the way. It shows that you were thinking of how to make a lady smile and spontaneous not a cheap-skate. I think a single flower no matter where its from is very romantic and sweet.
 mswitchygal
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2007 9:24:00 AM
Of course it would be appreciated. Very sweet.
Did you know you can send flowers through this site somehow?
I was contacted by a very nice man recently from POF, and he had 2 doz roses sent to me through this site. (No, I had not given him my address). I was amazed at his fabulous gesture! Truly a romantic introduction. Yes,youbetcha, it got my attention,! But no, we have never met.
He is only three hours away.Humm. Maybe that is a topic for another forum!
 jules51
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2007 9:29:20 AM
Definately would get extra points with me.
 Song Sparrow
Msg: 137
Posted: 8/7/2007 10:04:09 AM
I think it would be really sweet.
 Joanie123
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2007 5:40:03 PM
I THINK IT WOULD BE VERY SWEET. THOUGHTFULLNESS TO ME IS A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF A RELATIONSHIP.
 AZ-CA,Guy
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2007 5:54:02 PM
I think a flower or flowers on a 1st date all depends on how long you have been talking on the phone & how that has gone. If you have talked for a week or so & got a long great than SURE good idea. If you just exchange 1 or 2 e mails & show up with flowers, Maybe not such a good idea?

Either way. It would be much better to pick a flower while you are out together & give it to her. That always scores points.
 HeavenlyStar1
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2007 2:27:34 PM
any and all flowers should be appreciated on the first date
 Gotmail?
Msg: 141
Posted: 9/21/2007 3:24:24 PM
Very sweet and romantic.

Even a big bunch of dandelions would give me a warm fuzzy.

Generally speaking, MOST women DO appreciate the little things!
 Sweet_Sexy_Sassy79
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 8:06:03 PM
I would appreciate a flower on a first date. It doesn't have to be anything expensive...at least just ONE single wild flower would be amazing! It's the thought that counts!

Kimberly
 Jemi1983
Msg: 143
Posted: 10/22/2007 11:05:56 AM
Hey, everyone. I'm going on a first date tomorrow night. I was thinking of doing something a little more creative. She's lived in Minnesota, Paris, and now New York City (where I live near). I was thinking of giving her 3 flowers: a pink & white lady's slipper (MIN state flower), a lily (France national flower), and a rose (NY state flower). I know, I spent some time looking this up, but I figured it would be a creative gesture that she'll appreciate. Do you think I'm going overboard, or do you think she will like it? :-)
 Sweet_Sexy_Sassy79
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2007 8:52:28 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see the post b4 your date. I think IMO that that would have been a very sweet and kind gesture. I think that any man that goes through that much work to impress me would definitely win points in my book. It was very thoughtful and I wish i could find a guy like you in my area!!

Kimberly
 Monty_Python_007
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2007 9:13:09 PM
Two dozen red roses? Perhaps not... But if I can't bring along a modest little $3 or $4 bouquet from Albertson's, just shoot me now, please! The goal isn't to manipulate or even impress - it simply seems a gracious & thoughtful gesture. (Tip - if you're meeting someplace like StarB's or Jamba Juice - & who doesn't? - get there early enough to have the counterperson put them back there & you can say "Two triple vinte mochas...& do you have any daisies today?" That way you're not standing there like 'Lil Abner courtin' Daisy Mae when she arrives.
 Sweet_Sexy_Sassy79
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2007 9:20:29 PM
lol that's a cute idea......and I agree with you :)
 blondeinny
Msg: 147
Posted: 10/29/2007 6:50:17 PM
Flowers on a first date is a very nice gesture.
Old-school and thoughtful- the mark of a gentleman.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2007 7:16:29 PM
Hey, everyone. I'm going on a first date tomorrow night. I was thinking of doing something a little more creative. She's lived in Minnesota, Paris, and now New York City (where I live near). I was thinking of giving her 3 flowers: a pink & white lady's slipper (MIN state flower), a lily (France national flower), and a rose (NY state flower). I know, I spent some time looking this up, but I figured it would be a creative gesture that she'll appreciate. Do you think I'm going overboard, or do you think she will like it? :-)

Wow, if she doesn't like it, come on up to Vancouver so we can go out! ;) Tell us all about it after you've gone on the date. I bet she'll be floored.
 greeneyedokiegirl
Msg: 149
Posted: 10/29/2007 8:16:36 PM
I find this incredibly sweet and thoughtful! :)
 lilcuteangel
Msg: 150
Posted: 10/29/2007 8:44:27 PM
Flowers on the first date is the next step to divorice court. The guy is begging for approval.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?