Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sunny9968
Msg: 151
Flowers on the first date?Page 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I love flowers........One single rose would be perfect.........
 xvermonter
Msg: 152
Flowers on the first date?
Posted: 10/29/2007 9:24:38 PM
Giving a flower/flowers on a first date is an incredibly sweet, thoughtful gesture that never goes out of style. And flowers picked from your garden or in the wild are even better!!
 JewishPrincess
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2007 9:52:56 PM
That sounds sweet. I'd like it even better if a guy would come over and fix my car on the first date.
 Birds of Rhiannon
Msg: 154
Posted: 10/29/2007 9:57:52 PM
Yes of course! As a wordless language of affection ~offered as tokens in code.. colours and types of blooms gave a silent gesture for the lady to peruse.. a medieval courting practice which thankfully, has remained.

Annwyn
 duckling
Msg: 155
Posted: 10/29/2007 10:05:46 PM
I've always been a guy that brings flowers on the first official date. I never really thought about whether the women like them or not, but if it's somebody I met on-line I'd definitely know what their favorite color and flower is by the time we're meeting in person. And, it's part of who I am, so if they hate the gesture we're probably not compatible anyway!
 mr. dynomite
Msg: 156
Posted: 10/29/2007 11:04:32 PM
I always thought bringing flowers to someone you don't even know very well was kind of creepy.

If i like the girl and she likes me back (and i'm aware of it) she might get flowers.. but it's not going to be predictable as to when she gets them.

BrianR
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2007 10:00:30 PM
Thats an excellent question. Only time that I bought flowers for someone really early was the day after my first date with my ex-wife. She loved them though
 BrunetteLeana76
Msg: 158
Posted: 11/2/2007 1:09:56 PM
I love flowers, even on a first date, would be nice. But if it doesn't work out, it was the thought that counts...
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 159
Posted: 11/2/2007 10:50:45 PM
I dont see anything wrong with getting a flower or a bouquet of flowers on a first date. Its a nice gesture and can show that the person means well. Even if they dont fall for you the flowers can remind you that person felt thoughtful enough to do such a thing and they meant well. So guys, get out there and buy that flower or bouquets, theres really nothing wrong about it, you might just get a great kiss in the end for the thoughtfulness alone.
 travel_theworld
Msg: 160
Posted: 11/2/2007 11:33:12 PM
I feel when I am given a rose or flowers on the first date it is too much pressure. I also think if he brings a rose on our first date he does that with everyone. that is something you do later on when I will be special to you. First date just pay for my coffee that is all, so I don't have to worry if you are cheap..
 lil_feet_80
Msg: 161
Posted: 11/3/2007 7:22:42 AM
I love it. :) I think it makes a big impression that you thought enough to bring a flower... Just me tho...
 becca210
Msg: 162
Posted: 11/3/2007 7:37:43 AM
I think it is great. I've had everything from a dozen long stem roses (in a special carrying cart) to flowers pick from their yard. To me it is just a thoughtful gesture. I've never felt that I had to put out for flowers.
I dated someone for almost 5 years that actually drove me crazy with the silly little presents he brought me......stuffed animals and very childish presents. I was 50 years old and it just didn't work for me.
Gifts should be age appropriate.....but flowers work for everyone.
Becca
 Soleil24
Msg: 163
Posted: 11/3/2007 10:26:23 AM

Only if your name is Algernon.

skittlesskis
Msg: 164
Posted: 11/3/2007 12:34:56 PM
^^^^Hahaha! Wonder how many people will get that?
 BadBoy4204U
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 12:36:44 PM
I have a word for guys who like to give a rose to a strange woman that they do not even know on a first meeting, it's called a w-u-s-s-y

First off you cannot honestly give a rose to a complete stranger with heart felt warm sincere intentions, it would be a transparent attempt to buy her affections. It's way to overkill for first meeting and defines you as acting like a needy w-u-s-s bag that just saw his first rainbow... Gezz at least be real about her.....

Many women interpret these behaviors as a man not feeling comfortable enough and secure enough in himself to be himself. In other words, these "commonly accepted courting behaviors" actually come across as subtly MANIPULATIVE to some women.
At a subconscious level, a woman can instantly sense a man who is communicating the message "I don't think you'll like me for who I am, so I'm going to start things off with a rose in the hopes that you'll give me approval". Yep it is "w-u-s-s type behavior.

I know, the truth sometimes sucks but it's still the truth.

BadBoy~
 tameram
Msg: 166
Posted: 11/3/2007 12:55:23 PM
I must side with BadBoy on this one. A rose on the first date is just plain cheezy.
To transparent, because he don't even know me yet and might not get too if he is that fake from the start. Hell if he thinks he can win me over that easy might as well bring an engagement ring on first date and pop the question. I can't believe that some guys can actually think this would be romantic these days lmao . You don't know me therefore yes it's a fake way to start things off.....

Now it would be OK if we had been dating for a while and i knew the rose was a meaningful gesture on his part....
 mr. dynomite
Msg: 167
Posted: 11/3/2007 1:37:46 PM

I have a word for guys who like to give a rose to a strange woman that they do not even know on a first meeting, it's called a w-u-s-s-y

First off you cannot honestly give a rose to a complete stranger with heart felt warm sincere intentions, it would be a transparent attempt to buy her affections. It's way to overkill for first meeting and defines you as acting like a needy w-u-s-s bag that just saw his first rainbow... Gezz at least be real about her.....

LOL @ 'wussbag'

Hilarious, but so true.
 orareroseo
Msg: 168
Posted: 11/3/2007 1:50:35 PM
It shows style and class........very rare for a man to do that....
 becca210
Msg: 169
Posted: 11/3/2007 1:53:14 PM
Sounds like a lot of people meet in the same city. I've not had that happen.....there is always distance involved and lots and lots of communication. After many months of long distance,
my date finally made it to GA from Washington state...he brought me one red rose and
a ruby/diamond necklace. A few months later he let his real lawyer personality surface...the necklace is still in my drawer...in the box.
One of the sweetest, most thoughtful little presents I received was from a pilot that kept having to change our date. Finally he was able to keep the Sunday brunch date and he brought me a little crystal studded pig in a little bag with my name on it...he was a Harley rider and wanted me to remember that...hence, the pig. I'm not a Harley girl...but I loved
the present.
Becca
 RiverSiren1
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 1:56:17 PM
I've been the recipient of flowers and/or a single rose on many
first dates. One date brought me flowers along with a book I had
mentioned in a phone conversation. He said he was passing through
the airport and saw it in a gift shop. I thought it was very thoughtful.

But, as many as have given me flowers on first meeting, it has only
earned them a sincere smile and heartfelt thanks for thinking of me.

I think it's a very sweet gesture.
 oldsoul
Msg: 171
Posted: 11/3/2007 2:10:37 PM
"Flowers on the first date?"

I would much prefer if he didn't...ack!

I'm not a fan of cut flowers to begin with, and I don't like to see anyone waisting their money on things like that ......I mean they're gone in a few days anyway, so what's the point?

Besides this is just a first date....just bring your sorry a$$ on time, and that's more than good enough for me...haha!!

Luv Karla
Msg: 172
Posted: 11/3/2007 2:12:58 PM
Flowers are always a good thing.If you want to buy a lady a rose on the first date,then that is a very sweet gesture.
 Next Time Round
Msg: 173
Posted: 11/3/2007 2:27:52 PM
I'd like a single flower at the end of a first date that went well. It would be a nice momento if an agreement had been made to go on a second date. I'd interpret it as a sign of being kept around long enough to make it through to the next 'elimination round' like those shows on television.

It's pretty easy to grab one from a convenience store depending on where the date takes place and only costs a couple of bucks.
 1frantastic
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 2:41:36 PM
I agree with squirrly.....even flowers from the grocery store means...here these are for you...I hope you like them...I was thinking romantically anyway.....like in the old days when guys brought flowers to the one they were"courting".....and if it's not a "courtship"....don't bother.... you are not on the "Bacholar" giving one red rose to consider the next round....and I am not to be on your list to wait and see if I get a red rose....thanks for the flowers..."next man please"...
 Brownsugar1313
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 3:54:20 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh I HATE roses but if a guy gave me one on a first date....he would never know how much I detest the flower...lol

Seriously though it's the thought that counts......and it's a rarity, finding many guys who will do that so I would appreciate it and accept it and if it beyond a first date then I may let him in on the fact that I dont like em.............then again maybe not. Part of being with someone is compromise right and taking their feelings into considerations so I'd shut up and enjoy it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Flowers on the first date?