Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ideoform
Msg: 226
view profile
History
God in a wordPage 10 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
God. G O O D. I think it was an ancient misspelling.

A parable:

A long, long time ago, a tribe of ancient people had just decided they were "People." (Before they were a group of individuals or families, but they had been too busy survivng to give it much thought.) To become a People, they had started to see how their destiny's were joined together...fighting Tigers, hunting Antelope, building huts, all were easier done in groups where one person could hold one end of the log, while the other grabbed the other end.

This group survived somewhat more successfully than the other group over the hill from them, because they combined their efforts in a more or less organized fashion. The "People" noticed this difference, and decided they were unique. The term People thus didn't include the guys over the hill.

After a while, they started doing this thing called anticipating the future. They noticed fall was coming and the squirrels didn't eat all their food, or let it spoil, they stored it and found it again during the winter. This planning was hard to pass on to children, who are notoriously forgetful. So they put it into a story about a squirrel, and the squirrel became rather popular, kind of like Sponge Bob.

Planning was such a big improvement, that they almost didn't seem like just People anymore compared to the guys over the hill--they were the Special People Who Always Had Food To Eat Even In The Winter. This was hard to say when referring to themselves, so they just shortened it to Special People (in their ancient language.)

They did so much planning that it was getting hard to remember everything, even with the stories. So they began carving reminders into their pots, and onto the walls of their bedrooms and such. Like, "Best to get Antelope in the Spring when they are calving." (Or something similar.) After writing this out, the main guy saw it, and said "Good."

Everything that worked like this was really, really good. Important, even. Important, good, worth remembering, worth passing down to your offspring. So all this Good stuff, was generalized to that...it was Good. The stories began referring to "The Good." Whatever was good for all of the Special People was Good. This Good was hard to come up with something like the squirrel for stories. Sometimes the good was a huge, protective lion. Sometimes it was a Wolf, or a special place where the main guy would go by a waterfall to wash up. Sometimes it was finding the best mate, who was the most beautiful People person ever.

At some point, Good began to refer to that inner compass that gave the People the ideas for planning, and saving food, and working in groups together in the first place. Whenever a People person had a decision to make, he often thought about "What is the Good thing to do?" It ended up being something like; "What would be Good for me, and my family, as well as the People?" Sometimes this took a lot of thought, so sometimes he would go away to the waterfall place where it was quiet to sort it all out. Because sometimes the answer wasn't so clear and obvious.

The guy who did this a lot, often came up with the best answers, so other People asked his advice sometimes. And it usually was pretty good advice, and it saved everyone from all having to do time by the waterfall to come up with their own ideas.

Eventually, Good got shortened to God, by this guy who did all the carving into the rocks. Much quicker.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 227
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 1:02:13 PM

I would say that god is everyone and everything in an interconenected state of being. In one word God is, "ALL"

God is also known as "The Great I AM" because He just IS. I totally love that song. Obviously those who have faith in God & live their lives with Him in their hearts do so because it works for them.

I don't understand why those who choose not to believe in God would try to take away something that is a positive influence in someone else's life by discouraging them from believing in something that gives them hope, encouragement & helps to keep them content & remain sane through life's ups & downs.

If you know that something makes another person happy, even if you don't believe or agree with it yourself, wouldn't you want to encourage them to continue doing that which makes them happy? Isn't that just a normal & healthy part of human to human interaction, to want the best for others?

For example, in my last relationship, he was raised Christian but chose not to practice it. He was happy just going about his life (as dysfunctional as it was) without including God in it. I respected his wishes not to attend church & he respected my wishes to attend church.

One day, he received a call to say that he was fired from his job & that a series of letters would be arriving in the mail. There was no valid reason for this. A month of not being allowed to work while the union was fighting for his job & the final decision was made that he was fired.

I was in the hospital, having had several surgeries the previous day. When he came to visit me, I realized that he had hit rock bottom, hadn't slept in days & was in deep depression that his lifetime career had come to an end. I slid over in my hospital bed so he could lie down & I held him as he cried on my shoulder then we both fell asleep for several hours. He was sleep-deprived & I was loaded on morphine injections.

Up to that point, he had refused to let me pray for him when he was sick or in crisis. Well, he was so broken that day that before he left, he allowed me to hold his hand & pray with/for him & his job situation from my hospital bed. As I started praying for him (out loud), he began sobbing because the words in my prayer touched him deeply. He said that he had never heard anyone pray so sincerely from the heart using normal speech before, vs. the recited & memorized prayers we had both grown up with.

When he came to visit me the following day, he said that about 2 minutes after I had prayed for him, as he was headed to the elevator in the hospital, his boss called his cell to say that he still had his job, that the firing was an inter-office error & that he would be compensated for the month he hadn't been allowed to work. Why do I believe in miracles & that God answers prayer? This is just one of MANY reasons.

Disbelief dismissed.
 viper6996
Msg: 228
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 2:05:10 PM

When he came to visit me the following day, he said that about 2 minutes after I had prayed for him, as he was headed to the elevator in the hospital, his boss called his cell to say that he still had his job, that the firing was an inter-office error & that he would be compensated for the month he hadn't been allowed to work. Why do I believe in miracles & that God answers prayer? This is just one of MANY reasons.

Disbelief dismissed.

See while you got God all busy with you and your son's HUGE problem he was too busy to keep a bunch of religious lunatics from plowing a couple of planes into some buildings KILLING thousands of people in the process.

If this is the work of the God of which you speak then we have got an idiot in power who is stoned out of his mind and is a menace to himself and those he is charged with looking after. It's kinda like having the janitor at the hospital running the CAT scan machine.

No good can come of it.

If this is the work of a omnipresent being that loves all then I want no part of that deal.

I'll be quite happy going my own way with the help of few people I keep close to me.

If you want to believe in nonsense then by all means go ahead and I'll even be willing to pick up a weapon to protect your right to do so if at any point that right is threatened BUT keep it in your home and your chosen venue of worship.

Please don't interject your religion or beliefs into my affairs or my dealings with the state. (I don't mean you personally, just the herd that most have chosen to blindly follow)
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 229
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 3:22:58 PM

If you want to believe in nonsense then by all means go ahead ....... BUT keep it in your home and your chosen venue of worship.

I didn't realize that the OP had censored this thread & banned the faith-driven from sharing their thoughts & opinions on here but only in their homes & chosen venues of worship. If that is indeed the case, then I think the OP should perhaps alter the thread title to reflect that freedom of speech from believers of any faith will not be tolerated & only non-believers may post their views.

Please don't interject your religion or beliefs into my affairs or my dealings with the state.

Where you figure that my comments had anything to do with your "affairs" or "dealings with the state" is beyond me. You obviously don't know me at all. I have never attempted to convert anyone to my faith against their wishes & you would have understood that had you read what I shared above about my past relationship with a non-believer & our mutual respect for each other's right to believe & not believe. Had you read it properly, you would also have realized that I was referring to my ex and not my son.

As my above post & previous posts indicate, I feel that we should be able to share our personal thoughts & opinions without flinging anger & outrage about. Non-believers should respect believers in the same way that believers should respect non-believers & we should all be able to share this planet (and universe) in peace.

P.S. My comment "Disbelief dismissed" was related to my ex & was not directed at the general public.
 mrchicken
Msg: 230
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 8:07:21 PM
mrchicken is god; if only you would believe!
 Mistaya
Msg: 231
God in a word
Posted: 2/18/2009 8:13:23 PM
praise allah...

praise jesus..

praise bhudda...

praise mrchicken... hmm.. doesnt have the same flow does it??

God.... mother
 Life is Always Good
Msg: 232
God in a word
Posted: 2/20/2009 6:43:43 PM

If this is the work of the God of which you speak then we have got an idiot in power who is stoned out of his mind and is a menace to himself and those he is charged with looking after.

Careful son, there's mighty power in them words. You remind me of every 18 year boy who has ever rebelled. "I own the world, I deserve this, I deserve that. " If you're lucky, you don't get to try the last grasps at life, or the notification that you've got 6 months. I sound like an old timer, but I've been there, done that.
 viper6996
Msg: 233
God in a word
Posted: 2/20/2009 10:24:08 PM

You remind me of every 18 year boy who has ever rebelled.

Yea, I know.

Happen to come from a long lineage of rebels and men that had a hard time following the herd and taking orders.

I can tell you a few stories about how much hell they raised and the grief they gave to Nazi command assigned to oversee occupation of their village during WW II. Entire families were saved by them.

They did not do what they were told much, if at all.

I come by it honestly.
 Sterno
Msg: 234
God in a word
Posted: 2/20/2009 10:42:54 PM
God in a word.

A security blanket for the human psyche.
 ieatrocks
Msg: 235
God in a word
Posted: 2/21/2009 1:18:12 AM
wogodrd

(obviously)
 Wild Sweet and Cool
Msg: 236
God in a word
Posted: 2/21/2009 1:27:05 AM
THEE - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......
 flotsam
Msg: 237
God in a word
Posted: 2/22/2009 12:54:29 PM
"an imaginary friend for grownups"
 Fa que
Msg: 238
God in a word
Posted: 2/22/2009 1:08:00 PM
God to me is someone elses problem.

Was at a memorial recently and the "minister" droned on and on about how the departed was now in a "new city" walking with Jesus and some other peeeps....

I thought... I think the deceased is in the urn over there----->

BUT
I think everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and if they choose to believe in a "god", then so be it, just don't preach to me about it.
 Life is Always Good
Msg: 239
God in a word
Posted: 3/9/2009 11:05:11 PM
I think everyone is entitled to their own beliefs

Belief is a religion unto itself.
I don't believe my ex planned to kill our children. He was just stoned.
I believed he was going to hurt me, so I hit him in the head with a bat....3 times.
I believe, it's my right to grow pot, so if somebody decided to steal my pot, of course I would have to shoot them.

Beliefs are an intangible benefit of being human. It's my right to believe the earth revolves around the sun. It's my belief that I'm allowed to have 14 year old wives.

When beliefs are personal, as opposed to global, they lose all continuity with the outer circle. "I think everyone should only have one wife" he said quietly while praying in the mormon temple.

Where it gets mixed up, is when people throw the belief thing out as a defense.

God in a word, WISDOM. Some people have it from birth, some people learn it over time. Some people never, ever, figure it out. To never, ever attain that.....you've got your head stuck in the sand, refuse to look at new ideas, and think the old ways are always the best. Good luck to you.
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 240
God in a word
Posted: 3/11/2009 1:12:40 AM

God to me is someone elses problem.

And to some God is the solution.
Unknowable We cannot comprehend the Architect of the universe, just as a painting cannot comprehend its artist.
MN
 passionandsong
Msg: 241
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:53:25 AM
in a word..father.an amazing love to walk in life with.
 Fa que
Msg: 242
God in a word
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:57:21 AM
in a word

Malarky
 African Baobab
Msg: 243
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 3/11/2009 1:46:20 PM
In a word

D O G

( Messages this short ...bla....bla)
 ceta-ion
Msg: 244
God in a word
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:00:35 PM
as live in evil? Seems like a strange juxtaposition, but as far as i can see, this god character must be pretty tired if he's following us around like a domestic canine. I don't want to believe that god interferes with some and not others, so I choose to believe that god lets things unfold and reserves judgement, except in our own god-consciousness, which can be very critical and in a constant struggle not to be mixed up with our fear and lust for power. I think the best answers i've seen yet are the classics "love" and "unknowable". The rest seems to me to be a fabricated (and I think it all needs to be so for now, towards personal growth) elaboration which establishes one's values; in this sense Christianity strikes a chord with me, divorced from its hierarchical, political and monetary add-ons: being human, I need to believe in human potential, so fictitious or not, someone who does everything in their power to help that humanity thrive in the context of the greater enviroment (creation if you like) is a description/enactment of god I'll go with. I can't begin to imagine that something as intricate as the living things on our planet and the many systems which maintain them could come to be, evolve and continue to function without some kind of positive baseline force willing it to be-- a spark i'd call godwill, i guess. In any case, one word ain't enough, but you can create worlds with love, and unfortunately, tear them down without it. Lastly, to quote one good book, "to the making of books there is no end": there's too much inspiration here to avoid trying to capture a bit of it in doggerel.!
 Light Storm
Msg: 245
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 3/12/2009 9:12:00 AM
Here is one word that has not been said

Sun

Interestingly the Egyptians worshiped the sun as there God of God's 'Ra'. When you think about it, everything in our solar system is just a moon to out sun. Every scrap, micron of energy on our planet, we own to out sun. Our planet was created in our suns wake and it will be obliterated in our suns demise. Without it's gentle rays, life can not exist here as we know it. A.E. wrote that true energy can never be created or destroyed... only transformed... we are all in a rather HUGE way, a direct representation of the energy cast from our star... that energy can never be created or destroyed, but is forever transforming into something new, adapting, making improvements over it's past defects.
 Blue Eyed Tim
Msg: 246
God in a word
Posted: 3/13/2009 1:55:54 PM
SCAM.
I have 5 senses (that I'll admit to, at least) to test and experience and decide for myself.

If I'm wrong, I'll repent on my deathbed and beat the system...Like everyone else.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 247
God in a word
Posted: 3/13/2009 2:04:55 PM
Murder.

It has been said that throughout human history more people have been killed in the name of religion than for any other cause.

It is not a heritage to be proud of when people kill others because of their differing belief in their god.
 nvrtoolate
Msg: 248
God in a word
Posted: 3/13/2009 3:08:11 PM
One word is hard. I'd choose: "Fable" or maybe "Control".
 Gulf Island Joe
Msg: 249
God in a word
Posted: 3/13/2009 7:27:35 PM
Ms. Naranja wrote:
" We cannot comprehend the Architect of the universe, just as a painting cannot comprehend its artist."

I AM NOT A PAINTING!, I AM A FREE MAN!

(Adapted from the intro to _The Prisoner_, existentialist TV show of the '70s.)
 passionandsong
Msg: 250
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 3/13/2009 10:10:24 PM
i really do not understand how my going to churh or praying regularily makes me more religious than anyone else who does anything else religiously.religion is an emmensly over emphisized aspect of worship.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word