Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 b2inus2
Msg: 101
God in a wordPage 5 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
^^^^Yes, areguments are not insults...disagreements are not insults....But the WAY you say things is insulting ....GET IT?

Ticket, I believe most of us are here to have fun, to be mentally stimulated, etc.
I am not interested in convincing anyone of anything...you can keep your ideas, but do you need to ridicule by putting ideas in there that did not exist there in the first place, ideas from your own head? Do you have to misquote or partially quote and therefore and incomplete idea, to prove your point??

This is no fun for anyone...and don't tell me again that if I don't like it quit.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 102
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 5:42:34 PM
Bottom line belief in God is faith

I don't believe that Faith is required to perceive an Existence of Something. I see it as a Mental Trick, in that a Person blindly assumes something to exist despite all other Indicators to the Contrary, then "perceives" or "experiences" the Mechanics, Kickbacks & Repercussions of his Mind, since it violates the Principles of, and suppresses the Faculties of Reason. Then he notices a Change in Thought has occurred, and then labels that as God.

That's why Religions often prey on the The Down & Outers and those in complete Apathy, where the Mind has already partially shut down the Result of Failures to deal with the Problem of Life. In this Frame of Mind, they are very susceptible and gullible to be sold "Salvation", and quite receptive to anything that provides a Door out of the Morass.

Science is a man made concept

I would refer to it as a Statement of Functions of the known World and its Phenomena.

besides political power it is one of the most commonly used instruments to place 'special' persons above others and to control masses to serve few.

Well said. And further its probably the Best Money Making Racket ever conceived.

God he must not exist? Hmmm...we cannot see the wind either, we can see evidence of the wind..

Wind is perceivable. Nothing was said about seeing it, any more than one can see music playing way over the Hills down the other side. But you can see Leaves fluttering in the Wind, feel the temperature Difference on your Skin, etc.

If you have ever seen a baby being born ..human or animal , then I say...you have your proof , that their is a God !

I see nothing in respect to a Birth that suggests there is a God. I'd be more inclined to think religeous Folk read things into it.

You may not be criticizing people's faith sir but you are most certainly criticizing them.

The Validity of your Arguments and Statements on Forums are subject to Poster Interrogation, Posts are not here for the Purpose of proselytizing. If its too holy for you, and you can't stand the Heat of having Holes pointed out in your Statements, then don't post here. Wrong Place.

^^^^Yes, areguments are not insults...disagreements are not insults....But the WAY you say things is insulting ....GET IT?

There are no Insults from my End, and if pointing out Holes in your Arguments makes you believe its insulting to you, then so be it. There is a distinct Difference between what defines an Insult and what you perceive it is. You have Nonsense to peddle, I'll gladly point it out.

Ticket, I believe most of us are here to have fun, to be mentally stimulated, etc.

This is a Discussion Board, a Forum. Not sure what that is, look it up.

I am not interested in convincing anyone of anything...you can keep your ideas, but do you need to ridicule by putting ideas in there that did not exist there in the first place, ideas from your own head?

Its called a Discussion, and your Post is subject to ridicule and a lot more, the Poster personally however is not. If you make a Statement that is ridiculous, anyone is free to point that out.

Do you have to misquote or partially quote and therefore and incomplete idea, to prove your point??

That's exactly what you have been doing. Ask yourself.
 Wind Chimez
Msg: 103
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 6:17:27 PM
Deism holds that God is wholly transcendent: God exists, but does not intervene in the world beyond what was necessary to create it In this view, God is not anthropomorphic, and does not literally answer prayers or cause miracles to occur.

Sounds like typical management practices. Wonder if the so called Jacobs ladder was how you climbed up the coporate ladder in the story book.

Scullduggery!!!

Wildman46
Msg: 104
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 6:21:55 PM
This is no fun anymore... And don't tell me again that if I don't like it quit

Religious debates usually get pretty heated. You should know this going in, when it comes to religion, it can get very testy. If you can't take the heat, don't turn on the stove.

Never debate, Religion, weight, or Race in these forums, unless you can take getting your feelings hurt.
 Temptation50
Msg: 105
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 7:55:04 PM
I wonder if any of the lets say.....pro religion types will see the new Bill Maher movie ''reliculous'' or something like that.......
From interviews it seems to be very "factual" based......something the religous types really object to and usually take offense......
The first FACT being that the bible was written by men, mortals ......and then being iterpreted by more mere mortals to basicly read as anyone seems fit.......hence the thousands of different denominations that constantly slam everyones else denomination.......yet, it all stems from the identical book??
Go figure.....

No one, not one super evangilist has seen God, No one can prove they talk to God.....
So what gives??
Just believe what another so called self professed expert tells you??

No......I'll live with the insticts God gave me.......not what a well paid bible promoter tells me......
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 106
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 8:19:52 PM

You say the majority of believers? Where did you come up with these facts? I'm sorry but your generalizing an extreme amount right now and maybe you should rethink your opinions when you have better knowledge of what your talking about.

I was making a comment more or less referring to someone else's post,

thismikerocks please take a look at tyees post #76
you will notice that the majority of believers of most religions are in third world nations and that is where most reside

whatever your faith, you think, believe or feel has not been questioned or criticized addressing you personally, but related the topic in general.

some of the more peaceful religions also teach tolerance, perhaps that should be a reminder to some who take their own faith to the extent of making matters personal...lol
whatever your god, respect others equal right to exist and differentiate the facts or points of a discussion from the person,.
 Light Storm
Msg: 107
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 8:22:22 PM

This is no fun anymore... And don't tell me again that if I don't like it quit

Religious debates usually get pretty heated. You should know this going in, when it comes to religion, it can get very testy. If you can't take the heat, don't turn on the stove. Never debate, Religion, weight, or Race in these forums, unless you can take getting your feelings hurt.

Interestingly enough, one of the idea's I went into creating this topic was an attempt to separate "God" from religion. Even Jesus in his day attacked religions for everything they stood for. He would also take no part in being lifted up as a religious symbol and often told people they where off track when they tried. I can only imagine how horrified he would be today to see what his name has become. He would perform miracles for people and ask them not to tell others about it... was that supposed to translate into writing a damn book?

We have a glipse at something here... like looking at a finished building, but not the blueprints. Like using a computer program or playing a video game, but where not looking at the programming code. Behind the exsistance of life, there is something more at work, a blue print of some kind. We are playing the game, but we don't even know there is a programming code running in the back ground.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 108
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 8:31:17 PM
Behind the exsistance of life, there is something more at work, a blue print of some kind. We are playing the game, but we don't even know there is a programming code running in the back ground.

And that I can agree with, in that you don't pretend to know something that has not yet borne out which leaves absolutely no Doubt in anyone's Mind who or what God may be.
 Wind Chimez
Msg: 109
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 8:46:26 PM
The English word for “God” has become a source of confusion for Christians since at least the Anglo-Saxon era. Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary says that the origin of the word ‘god’ comes from a Germanic word ‘gad,’ pronounced as “gohdt.”

Apparently the word god is used generically by many different religions to refer to their deity or “invoked one.”

So OP are you refering to who GOD who might exist to some or how the word relates to the english speaking believers?????
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 110
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 8:48:03 PM

Behind the exsistance of life, there is something more at work, a blue print of some kind.

indeed there may be a blueprint of sorts
perhaps the difference between faith and the sciences is the approach to seek what that may be
I see no grounds why seekers of the ultimate knowledge should deny the others right to look or reason even scientist have to take a leap of faith when they attempt to prove a thought or concept and until they have the means to provide evidence they can still expand the theories hopefully leading further and closer to an anwer
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 111
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 8:49:21 PM
A.S.is

What's the worst thing about being an atheist?
You've no one to talk to when having an orgasm!

That's the best ever. When my bf and I first got together I had to ask him if me saying 'Oh God' offended him
 serenityCW
Msg: 112
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 9:57:48 PM
great stuff Phat and Tyee! have read about the numerous "religions" but never saw the stats! and yes, for some HP was hewlett packard versus higher power, although it is said that their voluntary contributions used to be so high, there may be a connection between the two! so how has this personal investment fared in todays' economy? i bet you the religious sector is making way more money right now!

as to proving there is or is not a G-d, that can go on forever, especially if in man's image. but, higher principles are always at work and cannot be denied. well, unless there is another einstein among us? boy, would i have liked to date him and pick his brain....

so in one word... i continue to maintain transformation is a good one. for me, it puts an umbrella over the rest. yin and yang, half filled and half empty, good and evil, love and hate, rain and drought, doubt and belief, life and death and the continuous cycle of things but maybe widening and maybe shrinking.

hmmm. maybe i missed it but some say the word is OM. here on pof, i've seen OMG in the under 30 segment.

ps geeze, this is a british columbia thread. ya think maybe HP moved over to india and china for a while? well sorry to invade from CA, but just in case anyone is angry with me for participating, i was born and raised in brooklyn. so maybe you all will forgive my entry!
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 113
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 10:19:14 PM
In this view, God is not anthropomorphic, and does not literally answer prayers or cause miracles to occur.

Perhaps miracles & answered prayer are bonuses that one gets for having faith in God. This believer is very, very thankful that God has blessed her with countless miracles & answered prayer.

Ticket in a word: Atheist ... or is it Agnostic? I still like ya dude, even though you do take things a little too seriously sometimes. Christmas is coming ... Ticket could use a relaxing massage & aromatherapy session after all his recent exhaustive debating.

May a hedge of angels protect all posters from any Spiritual Warfare that might be happening on this thread.
 PhatFat the WaterRat
Msg: 114
God in a word
Posted: 11/28/2008 10:43:13 PM

No one, not one super evangilist has seen God, No one can prove they talk to God.....
So what gives??

interesting thing is if one admits that they confer with God AND He actually talks back to them, then guess what??,..... off to the nut house they go.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't I believe the saying goes.

I am not convinced that so many are necessarily atheist either,... but as FAS said,... Agnostic.... just SHOW me once and I'll believe ....right? No blind faith necessary.

To each their own.... just be kind.
 Temptation50
Msg: 115
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 6:22:53 AM
See, that's not true.......^^^^^^
Lots of TV evangelists claim they talk to God........Usually he's told him to ask for more contributions.....you know, to spread the word......
Fact is. it's used to keep these evangelists in a lifestyle of the rich and famous......
They're not locked up until they're caught for other crimes......

Most church goers claim to have spoken to God......in this toungue dialect......
Another notion I have an problem listning too.........
They're not locked up.......embraced at times even, retarded......

My point is simply, religion revolves around MONEY and POWER.........
Both in my opinion are the two biggest evils known to man.........
 ryaninvan
Msg: 116
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 9:35:10 AM
To me it's a scam. Look into your religions history and you'll see the sham it is.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 117
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 11:03:02 AM
interesting thing is if one admits that they confer with God AND He actually talks back to them, then guess what??,..... off to the nut house they go.

That's not enough for Incarceration. The Criterias are far more stringent than that, its not that easy to do. And I doubt speaking to one's Maker is classified as a psychiatric Condition, although shooting at little green Men with Antennas on their Ears might be.

I am not convinced that so many are necessarily atheist either,... but as FAS said,... Agnostic.... just SHOW me once and I'll believe ....right? No blind faith necessary.

Exactly my Point. If you have to rely exclusively on "Faith" to in order to perceive something, then I would first question the Concept of 'Faith' itself and what Mental Effects or imaginary Ideas it produces.

This can be further witnessed by the Fact that Christians never experience the Message of Prophet Muhammed, and Islams cannot feel the Love of Jesus. Should you however tell anyone in your Congregation you have just experienced Enlightenment through the Hindu God "Shiva", your infidel A$$ will likely be excommunicated or your Airliner bombed.

Enlightening enough?

Faith ... self-fabricated mental Blocks to occlude & prevent painful Perceptions from the Pressures of Life, pretending non-existent Entities will provide a Crutch. Its a "Flip-the-Breaker" kinda Deal, when all other Means to deal with Problems have failed, and may possibly be the highest Level of Unconsciousness. The next Level down may be being under the Effect of psychedelic Substances, further down ... Sleep.

None of this has anything to do any with Spirituality or any Supreme Being, which is another Ball of Wax altogether, in that Faith is not necessarily required.
 ritawayward
Msg: 118
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 11:22:44 AM

That's not enough for Incarceration

And I doubt speaking to one's Maker is classified as a psychiatric condition

It's not far off! One of the first questions gps and shrinks ask when attending a mental health crisis
is "Does God talk to you?" and they always use " through the tv" as an example! lol
So, I guess talking to him is ok because the Docs are required to accept the right of prayer.
But, God talking back is another thing all together!
If the answer is yes, there are no beds short or long term, but you get a stay on a guerny in a hall
for 48 hour observation. Most mental health patients know which answer to give (regardless of their reality)
depending on whether they have a safe, warm bed elsewhere.
 Wind Chimez
Msg: 119
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 11:36:18 AM
An adult talking to God is like a child with an imaginary friend.. the only differnce is the age factor.
It may help some get through their life but reality has a habit of kicking in at some point.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 120
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 11:54:49 AM
So, I guess talking to him is ok because the Docs are required to accept the right of prayer. But, God talking back is another thing all together!

I am very sure about that too. It may be one Thing thinking God may be talking to you while watching Tammy & Jimmy Baker extract a few more Toonies out of your Pocket, its another Thing when he commands Airliners to be flown into Buildings.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 121
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 12:36:10 PM

its another Thing when he commands Airliners to be flown into Buildings.

and therein may be the answer for some human behavior which for many seems to be the inherent need to assign responsibility or blame to someone else
as mentioned before deities offer a perfect solution in so far that no one can prove they did not make and individual to do this or that, while another person may say and prove they were not involved.

One of the first questions gps and shrinks ask when attending a mental health crisis
is "Does God talk to you?"...
If the answer is yes, there are no beds short or long term, but you get a stay on a guerny in a hall for 48 hour observation.

I suppose part of the 'shrinking' profession walks on very thing ice
or are they recruiting???
 fishn mishn
Msg: 122
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 2:29:00 PM
Post #80
Your response to my post is typical of religionists whose Book of Truths is questioned by
quoting from same.
You did not deny my quotes, yet claim only context of same is the Truth. Context is subjective to the reader and Your Truth in the Bible is subjective.
I will not make a personal attack on you, as you did with me.
That would be UNCHRISTIAN.
Would it not?
 The PigWig
Msg: 123
view profile
History
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 2:33:59 PM
The never ending thread....

GOD
 Phuqd
Msg: 124
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 2:35:04 PM
God in a word?

Zeitgeist
 Wind Chimez
Msg: 125
God in a word
Posted: 11/29/2008 2:38:57 PM
Who said that the GOD that people are discussing in here is related to Christianity?

To assume that what is written in a book that was designed for a specific following, that was originally based on a person that lived thousands of years ago and translated millions of times in different languages and manipulated to reflect the writiers personal beliefs can win an argument is ludicrous.

The concept of a god has many meanings in different cultures and religions. Falling back on the word " bible" in arguments to back you up holds no value.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > God in a word