Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dateing in the real world Vs Online      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gypsy Swing
Msg: 51
Dateing in the real world Vs OnlinePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Very true.I am personally saying that I have met people that have a few things in common....not enough that I would pursue them and they ended up proving me wrong when I met them in person.I do meet people as friends as well but there have been many that I looked at more than a friend after meeting face to face. Initially I didn't think I would just based on the profile.Common interests or not you cant predict natural chemistry based on a photo and some words.I guarantee there are tons of people who would click if they met in person but they will never get to that point based on how these sites work.
 thisgirlwannahavefun
Msg: 52
Dateing in the real world Vs Online
Posted: 12/15/2008 11:18:53 PM
I think this is true. Although I have not actually had a date from a dept. store... LOL. I have wondered whether "online daters" actually date. Thanks for posting this question.
  Niebezpiecznych
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2008 11:36:46 AM
Real Life Dating compared to Interest Dating..

Real Life dating i get a chick that looks as hot as a super model.. most of my ex's..

online dating completely threw the ****ing roof they always nag and say this and that.. well all i see is criticism
Posted: 12/30/2008 6:20:43 PM
The Natural way is best. The problem with online dating is you don't see personality, style, temperment and not everyone is photogenic. You can't get that warm and fuzzy feeling the same as if you were sitting right next to that the person you have had great comversation with. I must say I have met some awesome men and have no regrets.
 honey_babes
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/24/2009 1:53:15 AM
You don't "date" online. It's a tool to meet people...
 Chica Tequilla
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/24/2009 5:30:11 AM
Date in the real world I'm a people person so if I get aquainted with you online, but if your ass lives down the street I'm up for talking instead of via email text. I have found alot of people on here insecure they hide behind their computers. I could rant on but dating is not emails nor texts It's sharing the same air not via web cam.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/24/2009 5:54:54 AM
Almost all of the women I have dated for any length of time I met doing life, out in the real versus the cyber world. Although I no longer use the internet much to meet new possible women to date I did so at one time. My experience was worse than disappointing. Over 80% of the women lied about their ages by from three to 12 years. Most were far heavier than they represented themselves to be prior to meeting them. I got tired of wasting my time on internet dating and frankly, meet enough women around town since I reside in a large urban area.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/24/2009 6:07:11 AM
Honestly from what I've seen Australian men on here are wimps and Australian men in the real world are wimps. Maybe I should move to the USA. The guys I read about here seem to approach women in shopping malls for goodness sake!!! Can't say that would happen in Australia....................

Yes it's harsh but somebody had to say it..................geez louise.
 gtfun
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/16/2009 3:58:31 PM
Real world you see people in natural state not behind the screen,I think this system is or has some good points forums ,but all in all real world ,sometimes people are to serious here.
 .... KING
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Dating in the real world Vs Online
Posted: 2/16/2009 8:06:02 PM
Real world wins my friend. Its easier and for the most part, fun in my experience. Nothing beats your emotion and feeling when you just walk up to a woman you are attracted to and start a conversation with the intent to let her know you have her intrest and you could care less of the out come. Online (especially this site) tends to be far less formal, but way more picky. It kinda seems like a competitive contest of sorts. It can at times, have its moments of glory, but online isnt something you should hang your hat on. It should be the back-up, not the main event. :)
 .... KING
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Dating in the real world Vs Online
Posted: 2/16/2009 8:08:27 PM
I also have to agree with what sensuous said. Nothing beats the live feeling you get when you are next to someone or when you approach them.
 ThirdCharm
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/17/2009 1:45:58 AM
Online dating tends to have a lot of expectations because the focus is on meeting someone. Meeting someone offline may be the result of getting to know each other while focusing on shared interests.

Most of the people I meet in daily life are married or involved with someone, so a dating site allows allows me to make contact with other singles. Still, the level of motivation to follow through on those contacts varies with the individual.
 WalkingInLondon
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2009 2:11:17 AM
I have met several really wonderful gentlemen on here, and ended up dating a couple for long periods of time, and remain friends with them to this day. This is a tool to meet people you would not ordinarily have contact with in daily life. I meet business people every day, but they are usually older and almost all married. I don't go to bars looking for dates, because meeting someone when they are half lit is not what I'd call an ideal situation for a first impression and I rarely drink. My church is nice, but no single guys there either, all the ones in my age range are married with kids. Don't get me wrong, I get asked out, but it is usually by married men looking for a mistress or someone old enough to be my father, and I'm just not into that at all. Plus this is a small town where everyone knows everyone, and the dating pool is rather shallow and POF helps me to branch out.
I have had to learn the hard way, however, to be careful and have contact with someone online for a good amount of time before giving my number out or any personal information, because there are some nuts out there. LOL
Good luck to all and happy fishing!
 Topgear1
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/17/2009 9:11:19 AM

You don't "date" online. It's a tool to meet people...

Yes, that corrects its a tool to meet people. It's just so sad to see that the only men/women that use this sort of thing are snobs all stuck up on themselves. No wonders they've had to resort hiding behind a keyboard. If they acted in public like they do on sites as this one, then decent men/women nearby would speak up about their disrespectful rude behavior...If you try to say something here about being kinder you get assualted by the snobs. You can't win your outnumbered by the A-holes.

I prefer meeting women in the real world, they are far more friendlier and in chatting with them. They all say they don't need that online garbage to be succesful.
 celts123
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/17/2009 9:30:25 AM
I think there are some advantages to both online and offline dating.

Online dating

1) Gives you a chance to potentially meet people that you wouldn't otherwise.
2) Can give some ( but far from complete though ) idea of what a person is like from their profile.

Offline dating

1) You can clearly see what a person looks like. You don't have to potentially deal with people using old, deceptive, and / or fake photos.
2) People tend to be more flexible with their standards. A lot of people on internet sites have a laundry list of requirements. If a man doesn't 100% match of these requirements, then a woman would reject him or vice versa.

I think the key is not to limit yourself to just one way of possible way of meeting people.
 Confident247
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:41:40 AM
90% of the people that i have dated in the last few years are people that i met in the real world. Unfortunately, a lot of people online are here for the forums only, pretending to be single, are here for a ego boost, liars, to shy to contact one another or undateable. Their is only about 30% that may be dateable and if you divide that 30% that's dateable by the amount of states then the odds are even slimmer. Dating services are mainly a option B a back up plan for trying to find someone but you do not want to put to much faith in them. Dating services, are mainly for people that are too busy to meet someone in the real world, want another option besides the clubs (such as myself), for those that are to shy to talk to people face to face, and because they may not have met that many good quality people in their area or life.
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2009 11:38:02 AM
A profile on POF or other online site should be regarded as the equivalent of a "personals" classified ad in a newspaper- just a way to possibly meet someone you wouldn't meet otherwise. I agree with those posters who have pointed out that not everyone meets a lot of unattached people just by chance in their daily lives, and for those who don't. the web is a way to cast the net a little wider.
 Topgear1
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/17/2009 7:47:29 PM

A profile on POF or other online site should be regarded as the equivalent of a "personals" classified ad in a newspaper- just a way to possibly meet someone you wouldn't meet otherwise. I agree with those posters who have pointed out that not everyone meets a lot of unattached people just by chance in their daily lives, and for those who don't. the web is a way to cast the net a little wider.

I'd call it a big waste of time unless your a supermodel, and only then is it a players (Men/Women) dream come true.
 Sunshine-99
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2009 7:53:44 PM
I definitely enjoy meeting girls off the internet much better. It's so much more personal & I think that non-verbal communication is extremely important. Plus, you can ask questions & crack jokes and get to see a person's reactions. Flerting is a cool art form & you can quickly determine for yourself whether you want to proceed & learn more about a person.

The internet seems a little too much time-consuming in terms of fishing for a date. I am here mostly for forums or an activity partner (tennis). For dates, I'd rather go places. Internet dating just seems so superficial but I heard that it worked great for some people. For me, not.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2009 8:03:35 PM
Well, basically there's not THAT much difference if you set up a date early and avoid talking online for too long. I see no reason to chat online for more than a few days, maybe a week depending on the circumstances. However, one option doesn't exclude another. Offline and online both have their pluses and minuses. Having said that, do both.
 CrackOracle
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/7/2011 12:15:05 PM
I agree with everyone having massive laundry lists of requirements, especially women. I've been on pof for two years and only met 5 girls, and gotten nowhere closer to having a relationship. Most of the users I message don't respond, and half of those who respond to my first message will not respond to my second. I'll spend hours searching for/messaging girls every day, and only meet up with one every 5 months if I'm lucky. When we finally do meet up, either she just wants to be friends(75% of the time), 0r we end up having a one-night-stand and never seeing each other again (apparently, the one girl who DOESN'T anally screen profiles, apparently doesn't read profiles much at all because she decides that we have nothing in common and that the attraction was physical only).
At least in real life, you have live feedback. You can watch her reactions to see where you are going wrong. Online, she just deletes your message and you will never learn where you went wrong. Online dating has been pretty crappy for me, not that real life has been much better...the only other option for me since I am gay is the gay bar. No department stores, gyms, or parties for me. The girl will be straight. I'm screwed.

Also, as someone who has dated both genders on pof, men are much more deceptive with their pictures. Most women I've met tend to be MORE attractive in person. Men, however, quite the opposite.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/7/2011 6:36:55 PM
ever play minesweeper on the computer, its over in games under accessories....
ever been through a real mine field ?
for most its entertainment , self gratifying ego stroking and appropriate venting of angst . very little dating occurs. you would have better luck over on a wicker basket forum, or even the SETi program blog.
but the drama is fun to watch.
 nowordscandescribeme
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/7/2011 6:54:35 PM

Now, the advantage of real life as opposed to the internet, is that on the internet, the women also have it down to a science. They don't want a guy that is this tall, this age, this look and so on. So if you try to communicate with a particular age group, for instance, it's instant rejection. While in real life, the women have no idea how old you are, only how old you look, so you can actually hit on a 23 year-old-woman, and she is not going to freak out, but actually welcome it.[quote/]

Very true, Excellent points made outmind.

I myself have had more lasting valuable relationships through women I've met in person, I've dated alot of women from the internet, but it never lasted more than 3 months.

The internet does have its advantages, I mean you could meet someone at a bar and know you're attracted to them, but you don't really get to know all that much about the person, but online you can talk to the person for awhile before ever meeting, and get to know them alot better.

Now what I have noticed is, you can talk to someone online, get to know them, and build hopes and attraction before ever meeting them, and than when you do, it just isn't there, and there is no chemistry, and that's one reason I think meeting sooner before investing too much into it is more important.

Also, texting/typing really is nice and all, but it isn't personal, you really cannot detect, demeanor,tone,vibes,humor etc and so many now a days are conformed to texting, and emailing etc.

I have been in many situations with women (online), where it never went anywhere, because of somethng so minor or trivial that split us apart, yet I was certain and confident, that if we had met in person we would have hit it off big time.

I know from the women I've met from dating sites, They always tell me I'm so different in person, so much more laid back, and polite, yet online I come off more Blunt,in your face, arrogant etc, and I dont mean too ,and try not too, but I am just a very passionate person in all aspects of my life, and I am brutally honest, and dont mess around, and it's sad because I'm sure we all have missed out on someone that could have been a potential partner had we met in person and not online.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/7/2011 8:02:50 PM
Real world is the way to go.

Not so easy as ya get older; but still.

In the real world you can sense the chemstry which is 100% impossible to do online, despite what all the women in my area are goin on.

Chemistry....with a picture...posted online.

Uhhu.

I'm like buddy ^^ up there. My personality is nowhere near the one which most giorls seem to peg me with; though it MAY be getting there. (If I let the conditioning bug do its thing)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dateing in the real world Vs Online