Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > New Year's Resolutions:if we haven't changed by NOW, will we ever?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 26
view profile
History
New Year's Resolutions:if we haven't changed by NOW, will we ever?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
...There is always room for self-improvement, that I cannot deny.....and heaven knows that I need to work on those "little character defects"....but I don't think I need to make a resolution in order to effectively make those type of changes....as someone said earlier, I am already a work in progress.

But if I was to make a New Year's resolution, it would be to spend more time with my family. I have a tendancy to get far too involved with my job much to the chargrin of my family. Right now my eldest is testing her wings and she won't be in the nest much longer...I need to enjoy these last few years with her before she takes flight.

2008 was a very eventful year for our family, for me.....I welcomed my first grandaughter who was born on March the 19th, what a day of celebration that was... and unfortunately, this year I also lost a very good friend...she passed away in early September...what a loss.

What do I want for the future, for 2009? At this point I would have loved to have said something very profound....but in all honesty, I just want to continue to be here for my family, they still need me....how selfish is that?

...maeflowers

OldFolkie
Msg: 27
view profile
History
New Year's Resolutions:if we haven't changed by NOW, will we ever?
Posted: 12/28/2008 6:34:42 PM
That is hardly selfish, Mae. It is GOOD to be needed, and loved. My own family has been my support system in the recent past, just as I have been for them.

So my New Year's Resolution will be to continue making progress correcting my "little character defects" and making sure I will be there for my family.

Oh, and as many of you have posted, change and growth as a person are not chained down by chronology, but only by your own personal will. In the last few years I have changed dramatically, and I'm beginning to like the man I've become.
 angelwinz
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 6:51:25 PM
My new years day resolution this year is to take the 8-9 hours I will be driving through assorted mountain passes and snow to my mom's funeral, reflecting on the good times and let go of any bad that is still lingering. I'm figuring between concentrating on the driving, allowing my mind to reach out and feel, that this is the best resolution I can make for myself. A New Year is always a good time to reflect on what is right in my life and face whatever it is I might want to work on in the future.

Whatever each does, I wish you all A Very Happy New Year. Happy 2009 Y'all!!

cfb62
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 7:13:46 PM
I'm always trying to improve/grow.
It just depends on who you are.
I certainly can relate to the self-acceptance in a lot of ways too though.
LOVE the self-acceptance that comes with age!!!!
 Work_In_Progress
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/28/2008 10:21:31 PM

By the time a person is middle aged, they are pretty much set in their ways...or are they??? Do you think making promises to yourself this time of the year is a good idea OR a waste of time?

I firmly believe change, especially self-improvement, is always posisible, but If I'd answered this question more than 5 years ago, I would have said New Year's resolutions were a waste of time. That was until the year I filed for divorce right before the new year, and then quit smoking as my New Year's resolution and started an exercise program and eating better the same day.

This New Year's day will be 5 years smoke free, and still working out and loving it, and still sticking with the better diet. I was also in my 40s before I took my first college course.

So yes, I'd say it's very possible, and as it turns out, whether one succeeds or not at change, I believe, is not as much about the "when" as the "why" - a sincere desire and committment to a better quality of life - for the rest of one's life - rather than as a short-term goal (fitting into a dress for a wedding), or in attempt to please someone else.

At least a couple of others have mentioned being a work in progress... it is not for nothing that I chose that for both my screen name here and my space - it's what I am and will continue to be, and I think that's a good thing.
 wdb2064
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/29/2008 6:29:53 AM
Change is good if it's change YOU want for yourself. Making yourself better in your own eyes is a good thing. The only problem is whether you have the courage and the strength to hold to life changing habits. Self acceptance is fine if you like who you are, but if you don't, being lazy and wishy washy isn't going to make things better.
 catkin2007
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/29/2008 10:36:43 AM
I don't think its about being set in your ways as much as things be too familiar. For me, I have been reevaluating life, relationships and career choices the past few months. For me, I am making life enhancing changes in 2009. Basically, it is to do what feels good to me, to be myself at all times, and to slow down and appreciate all life has to offer.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with a little self help/self awareness in our lives.
 bunni007
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/29/2008 4:43:38 PM
For me they are just fun! Some come true...some don't. This year my resolution is to take care of me more. I try to keep it simple. Every year I was supposed to lose weight, but that's been a very amusing resolution and gave that one up (though I did join a gym before the New Year back in November). Whatever, I can only handle one day at a time and joyfully so.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:24:55 AM
so here it is 3 years later, how much have any of us changes since then???

i think sometimes one small change can cause many others- the ripple effect
HAPPY 2012 EVERYONE!!!!!
 Walts
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:28:26 AM
Changing for the sake of changing is not all that bright in my opinion. Now,,,,if you actually "know" of a thing or two that you "know" will "improve" yourself,or even improve your "self worth",get a er!!!!

Me,,,I looked in the mirror this morning, and well, even I gotta admit, there's sweet phuck all that I should be tweaking. Of course, once the whiskey wears off that could change. Happy New Year all, changes or not!!!!
 ChillinChill
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:41:17 PM
I have a new years resolution... I'm not going to make any resolutions this year.

It's either self acceptance or you could say I'm just being lazy.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:48:10 PM
I resolve (maybe the 6th time will be the charm) to meet the last love of my life. Which would absolutely make me a better person in 2012
 Fifi47
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:03:16 PM
I was thinking of maybe dyeing my hair platinum (kidding), will continue to improve my eating habits and try not to be a grouch in the morning before the caffeine kicks in.
 zippytwo
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:45:33 PM
Nope, stopped making New Year's resolutions....if I resolve to do something I'll just do it no matter what time of the year it is.
 madm4u
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:35:00 PM
I resolve to do one thing I have always wanted to do, but never bothered, each month.
Already booked January and february,laughter yoga this month (starting gently) and caving Feb.
So I resolve to have more fun this year!
 Megaladonfishy
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:55:28 PM
I resolved to be more crotchety and ornery than I was last year, if that is possible
 Glenoran1
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/1/2012 9:49:49 PM
Since I was 12, I've noticed things which need to be addressed and have done so. It's a continual work-in-progress as things come up and I recognize them. Sort of like the layers of an onion, getting closer to the core.

But I have been going to bed very late and getting up late, which cuts into the realistic time when I would be doing productive endeavours. So as of today, I've set the clock to get up at a reasonable hour, and will go to bed earlier, too. I may be retired, but I still have lots I can accomplish, and being lazy would just get in the way.

I've also started researching on the Internet the best art medium to use for the drawings I wish to paint, and art tips and tricks, etc. I've been using oils but they may not be the best choice, and I also haven't painted in 6 or more years. Time to get back at it.

But first ... I have a website for Glenora which I promised to redo in its entirety, so I'll get that done first, and do painting research in between website-design stints.

That plus the other things I'm into (gardening, orcharding, photography, etc.) should keep me out of mischief.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 11:10:54 PM
If you need to wait for the new year to change something or do something. Then you would fail at it. If you want something then do it let it be the new year or the middle of the year, Just do it. Then there are somethings that you cant change no matter what. Ever heard the saying only the grave would straighten the hunchback....
 Guinny
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 8:41:19 PM
Of course we can change and grow - that is the beauty of life. Why would anyone want to stay the same year in year out. Life is so short and special every day needs to be treasured... More so as we get older.

Self acceptance is the place we begin from ... We need to learn to love ourselves unconditionally. Excess puddings over Christmas do not mean we are bad - just means we are having a nice time for the season.

Challenging our comfort zone at least once a day shakes off complacency - do one thing that scares you

Time to get out there and love your life... embrace new ideas, new adventures and new people - Life is there for the taking so take it...
 nvc7213
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 9:02:11 PM
here,here thats what i was gonna say, or maybe thought and hoped someone else would post it for me
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/31/2012 3:36:12 PM
Since last year I made many changes & experienced things both good & bad & am looking forward to a new year!!!
Hope everyone has a fun & safe evening!!!!!!!!!!!!
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/31/2012 6:09:08 PM
New Year's resolutions? I make resolutions all the time. I don't need a particular day to do it.

I resolved to do a course. It starts in 2 weeks. This is not a New Year's resolution. I booked it a month ago.

I resolved to lose weight. I have and while it goes up and down, the general trend is down.
 dennigrain
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/31/2012 6:24:44 PM
i think the axiom "accept a person for who they are" should be a resolution for everyone to ignore. the reason relationships are coming to a screeching dead end is simply because many keep saying and doing as if those actions alone were actually true. spent my whole like in self progression researching expert advice and adjusting for appropriate healthy living. those who stand by the simple profession of "this is who i am", with never a self question or relevant research to discover if they are actually healthy, will most likely have the same relationships, over and over and over. or, in the very near future find themselves on a long empty road. yes, male and female alike. how about self progression to just feel better about yourself. once that starts to become part of the day to day you may find yourself in a very different, pleasant, kind of company.

happy days ahead and watch the clock turn tonight thinking about the possibilities for your emotional well being. :)
 SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/25/2013 6:35:41 AM
The only thing I did thus far is to draw up a budget for 2014 & I actually enjoyed doing it, LOL

It's nice not to have debt per se, you don't have that drowning, sinking feeling. Good to have financial goals even if something small, like banking 10% of your income.
 Paderic
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2013 6:55:11 AM
It's funny to see all your previous usernames in these threads.

FWIW, I put the maximum into my 401K every year. I also have a nice rainy day fund. I swore off consumer debt 25 years ago. Nothing to change on that front, my retirement will be well funded. Now I just need to concentrate on living that long...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > New Year's Resolutions:if we haven't changed by NOW, will we ever?