Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Drugs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 24
DrugsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
^^^

the diseases that addicts deal with is huge, who do you thinks pays for it??

Nobody if we shoot them in the head..

...they don't drink alcohol supposedly

Just like people in Ireland dont take heroin

Supposedly

...they'd probably steal the drugs and sell them on, undercutting the government...it makes sense !!

Only in the same way and to the same extent which they currently do with those drugs which happen to be legal

You're going to have to s p e l l out the point you are making Netgeek, because I'm just not getting it.
 flyin-high
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 1/22/2009 2:15:02 PM
Every time the topic of legalizing drugs comes up, marijuana gets lumped in with cocaine and heroin. Marijuana is very different, not just in it’s chemical composition, but in it’s social impact on society.

If you want to see an example of the wrong way to deal with drug problems just look at the Americans. On a per capita basis, they have the highest prison population of any country, over 50% of their prison population is due to drug related crimes. 25% is marijuana related, yet violent offenders are released due to over population because their crimes carry a lesser sentence in many cases. At the same time, the medical profession dispenses pain killers and anti-depressants like they were candy.

I’m not sure that legalizing marijuana is a good idea, but decriminalizing possession of small amounts of it definitely is.

Ireland seems fairly tolerant of marijuana, keep it that way, and please don’t turn into a bunch of Americans.
 Netgeek34
Msg: 26
Drugs
Posted: 1/24/2009 6:51:43 AM
I’m not sure that legalizing marijuana is a good idea, but decriminalizing possession of small amounts of it definitely is.

The trouble with decriminalising possesion on its own is that users still have to deal with criminals in order to obtain it. It doesnt address the issues of contamination, gangland crime, loss of tax revenue and dealers trying to push users onto harder drugs. Decriminilasation (or downgraging/reclassification) pretty much represents the worst of both worlds as far as I can see.
 killarneyman
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 1/24/2009 12:27:53 PM

The trouble with decriminalising possesion on its own is that users still have to deal with criminals in order to obtain it. It doesnt address the issues of contamination, gangland crime, loss of tax revenue and dealers trying to push users onto harder drugs. Decriminilasation (or downgraging/reclassification) pretty much represents the worst of both worlds as far as I can see.

Not to mention the fact that you then have to deal with drugs tourism, which is a huge problem in Holland from what I have heard.
 bam j
Msg: 28
Drugs
Posted: 1/24/2009 12:43:19 PM
what ever chance you have of seeing mary jane been decriminalised in the republic you can bet your bollox that there will be not a chance that class a drugs will be legalised !!

and if you think that legal weed would have much of an impact on crime in ireland ?? get real !!
 Netgeek34
Msg: 29
Drugs
Posted: 1/24/2009 2:47:20 PM
There is no chance that Class A drugs will be legalised in Ireland for the simple reason that there are no such thing as Class A (or B or C...Or Z) drugs in Irish law

which is a huge problem in Holland from what I have heard.

Only to the extent that something that constitutes a major part of ones economy can be regarded as a "problem"
 bam j
Msg: 30
Drugs
Posted: 1/24/2009 3:13:01 PM
hey netgeek if they were to legalise some drugs and not others do you think they would need to classify drugs ???

well then .... simple reason !! get it !!
 Netgeek34
Msg: 31
Drugs
Posted: 1/24/2009 3:40:03 PM
Well they dont classify drugs right now but Alcohol , tobacco (and some other stuff) are legal.........
 bam j
Msg: 32
Drugs
Posted: 1/25/2009 1:02:47 PM
alcohol is classified by the content of alcohol in it .... cigarettes are classified by the level of nicotine and tar present ?
 Galwegian
Msg: 33
Drugs
Posted: 1/25/2009 5:26:30 PM
Drugs are bad nnnnkay. Don't do drugs.
 killarneyman
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 1/26/2009 4:01:41 AM

Only to the extent that something that constitutes a major part of ones economy can be regarded as a "problem"

There are tradeoffs. Increase of drug related crime, increase of required policing etc. Here are some articles about the drugs trade in Holland and why they are trying to cut it back. A number of towns in the south-west of the netherlands have already made the decision to phase out 'coffee shops' in the town because of the large number of 'undesirables' that come up from mainland europe.

Netherlands has a high anti-drug related public expenditure, the second highest drug related public expenditure per capita of all countries in EU (after Sweden). 75% is law enforcement expenditures including police, army, law courts, prisons, customs and finance guards. 25% is health and social care expenditures including treatment, harm reduction, health research and educational including prevention and social affairs interventions. (from wiki)

http://www.eturbonews.com/5899/netherlands-drug-tourism-could-go-smoke
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4595018.stm
 TheGredge
Msg: 35
Drugs
Posted: 1/27/2009 5:12:11 PM
Looks like Technic would actually do well to smoke a joint...ironic
 Gaelgoir
Msg: 36
Drugs
Posted: 2/1/2009 5:47:22 PM
Its nobodies business what anyone does or puts into their own body first and foremost and secondly look at alcohol in ireland, can any one honestly tell me its better than legal drugs, socially and economically? We should stop codding ourselves and realise tat the real filth drug dealers would soon dissappear if drugs were regulated, taxed and legalised and a whole new industry(thats already there) would benefit the dire economic situation we are all in now, the drug war has failed anyway,

Il stick to me large bottles anyway regardless....
 SuperHug
Msg: 37
Drugs
Posted: 2/9/2009 4:46:10 PM
Legalisation is highly unlikely or workable . Legalisation in one jurisdiction is highly unworkable.

Now, de-criminalisation is another thing. This frees up resources, and allows for greater personal transparency etc. [This is where police etc use some degree of leniency where pursuing a case will cause greater social damage (through court time + costs, the cost of incarceration, breakdown of the perpetrator's family unit etc) than the actual drug usage.]

Also, any real reforms could not be sweeping. Some drugs, even if society were to rely less on the penal system for social control, should possible never even be de-criminalised. Particularly drugs likely to cause instant fatalities or violent behaviour. This would be in the same vain as keeping poison off the shelves and nazi propaganda off our book shelves.

The greater the degree of criminality, the higher the risk of the illegal importers, who will therefore become more violent territorially and increase costs. This is passed on to the user, who may be increasing their own criminality to fund their addiction.

Asleep yet?!
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 2/11/2009 8:18:09 AM
ganja will not be made legal, due to the competition with pharmeceutical companies, and the fact that it's too easy to grow and can't be taxed. dope may be a gateway drug, but i don't feel it's any worse for you than alcohol, when done in moderation of course.
 DolphinKissing
Msg: 39
Drugs
Posted: 2/12/2009 11:38:28 PM
Something to remember.

Most if not all "Illegal" drugs are currently grown legally and mostly used in the medical profession.

I think legalising them would make them under better control. However it would increase the likely use of people using them. But only by a small margin.

In the 20's Boots sold cocaine, opium. Was there major problems then.
 quite a good catch
Msg: 40
Drugs
Posted: 2/14/2009 8:27:17 AM
100% against legalisation of drugs in Ireland
 bad_boy_with_a_heart
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 2/15/2009 11:09:42 PM

Yeah dude ya cant type in all caps locks and not put any full stops or spaces between sentences.

It makes your posts too hard to read, i just skipped it after the first line, im sure most others will too
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 2/16/2009 12:20:38 PM
how much of the govt's deficit do you think is spent on importing drugs that we don't know about? a couple billion? i wouldn't be surprised in the least.

and not to mention, here in the u.s, alot of states won't bust you if you have an ounce or less, it will just be confiscated, the second offense in a fine, then the third is jail time.
 bad_boy_with_a_heart
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 2/17/2009 8:32:11 PM
i have the solution for the drug problem in this country....

not less drugs....

more drugs!

get more drugs, and give them to the politicians
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Drugs