Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you believe a woman when she says ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 I got fooled, yet again
Msg: 26
Do you believe a woman when she says ...Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
You live in Austria to be close to Budapest and yet not having to breathe in the smog there, and also because you like kanguroos.

(Can gurus shoot kanguroos?) (I am realizing to my absolute greatest surprise that I do not know how to spell kanguroo. The way I do it looks unnatural.)
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Do you believe a woman when she says ...
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:35:23 AM
Op, If what you're saying were true,, then they're wouldn't be any female hockey players or anyother females in traditionally dominated male sports for that matter. I love hockey and only wish I was confident enough about my body strength to join a beginner league.
Lots of woman in Canada grew up with our brother(s) in the sport and with Hockey Night In Canada with Dad and one's brother(s) dominating the television on those nights.. we learned to appreciate the sport just as much as the men. I'm sure the same logic could be applied to anyother "male" activity.

It seems men are more intimidated and/or adverse to learning traditional female activities than women are to learning men's. It must be the fear of looking less masculine.. whereas girls don't fear or even consider looking masculine if we enjoy something that was ONCE traditionally a male thing.

Now, as for skydiving (or anything that would scare me to death ~forgeddaboutit!

They don't like the Three Stooges.
that's a rather huge generalization ..Why I odda.. Slowly I turn, Step by Step .. *holds two fingers out for an eye boink* Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!
 Sepia777
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:37:57 AM
Since its no longer the 1950's, human beings are not relegated to gender specific activities by merit of what sex "invented" it..
The Chinese "invented" pasta but that does not mean any other culture who enjoys it should be considered disengenuious..

There are many shades of grey out there...There are women who play/follow sports religiously by also love to shop, get pedicures etc...
Like wise there are men who are sports fanatics but also love to cook, shop , getting their hair done to look fly.. hehe

While there may be a few females out there who still feel the need to "dumb it down" or feign interest in sports to appear more appealing to a male, I would surmise most gals keep it real..

Staying true to yourself is what merits respect and interest after all
 jimmy^
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:40:02 AM
personally i think Dr Phill is a twat. secondly who cares less if women pretend to lie. i'd prefer to be insecure and stuck on a limbo.
 Miss W
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:43:49 AM
^^^I share the same sentiments about Dr. Phil that this poster does. I think that you should believe a woman when she says that she likes certain things. I for example loathe sports and I will never ever pretend to like something that bores the snot out of me. Feigning interest in something that does not interest you in order to please someone else works against you and you will eventually resent it. Granted, I enjoy being exposed to new experiences and activities, but I draw the line at sports. That's "his" time. I have "my" time, and believe in "our" time. You don't have to like everything someone else does in order to be compatible...just some common ground.
 TimothyPaul001
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:43:53 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the great responses. But again can we "Get real" for just a moment. (By the way, I don't care for Dr. Phil either. For the sake of ratings, he gets way too mean to his guests.)

I have experienced the following, and so have other men here. Although they may be too desparate for a date to admit it.

"Honey, Let's go to the scrap booking convention tomorrow."

"Sweetheart, I had a tough week, and the convention is 350 mile away."

"Timothy, You know this is the biggest convention of the year and Debra SoAndSo, the leading authority on how best to incorporate genealogy research into one's scrap book, is going to be there. Besides I'll drive."

"Sweetheart, Sounds like this is really important to you. Can I wait to see how spunky I'm feeling tomorrow?"

"Timothy, How many times have I watched boxing with you? I hate boxing. What about all those walks we went on together! I did those things just because I love you. And now you won't put yourself out to do something I like. "

[Light comes on. I thought she liked boxing and walking. Back to the story.]

"Sweetheart I don't know what came over me. Let's stop off at our favorite restrauant on the way out of town for a big breakfast."

THE END

I wish I would have known that she didn't like boxing and walking so that we could have spent that time differently--doing something we both enjoyed.
 *topchef*
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:46:54 AM
Do women believe guys when they say they like to cook for us, take walks on the beach holding hands, dont mind shopping in the mall and holding our purses or going to Kenny G concerts?? I'm sure there are men who do like those things, as I am sure there are guys who would rather chew on broken glass.

However, if someone chooses to pretend to like or be someone they are not, they will generally find themselves very unhappy in that ongoing pretense, or revert to their natural ways and find themselves sitting home Saturday night, drinking beer, eating from a can and burping and farting at will.

The great thing about this modern world we live in, is men and women are not limited by their genders in what they can choose for hobbies and recreation, and are rarely judged openly for their preferences.

I used to like boxing quite a lot, in the days of Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and Tommy Hearns.....then one day Mike Tyson showed up, bit the ear off Evander Holyfield and I decided it had seen its peak in the 80s. Now, a perfect Sunday for me, is to play an early round of golf, come home and watch the 4th round of the PGA tourney of the week, while cooking up a great dinner. Am I pretending to enjoy these things to attract a man....hell no, anyone who understands what it feels like to hear the sweet smack of a 5 iron lift a ball from dewey wet grass, before the warmth of the sun melts away the morning....well, they know this cannot be faked.

Get with the 21st century OP!!!
 Ismene1
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:50:20 AM
I have experienced the following, and so have other men here. Although they may be too desparate for a date to admit it.

Anyone in a relationship can experience this type of thing or something similar...what it amounts to is not getting to know the person with whom you think you are in love. Boggles the mind, mine anyway, that people don't really get to know each other because they are too busy 'falling in love' to really listen, pay attention, think straight and rationally, be reasonable, etc. Then, once they are settled into the relationship, they realize they don't know each other at all, and they start claiming the other person has been deceptive all along, when all the other person was doing was exactly what you were doing, falling in love and being someone who wants to get along and be accepted and loved, but in the process, misleading the other: you both do it, everyone seems to do it: it isn't just men or just women who do it. As the above poster says, it's like all these men who claim to love cooking and long walks on the beach, holding hands in the moonlight, etc. -- Some do and some don't, but some claim to when they don't.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:50:41 AM
Re: Message 31 ~ I counter with:
Honey; "the boxing's on, get me a beer will ya?"
Edna: "Okay.. Boxing! *ugh* Ok.. I'll get my scrap booking stuff out and watch it with you so that we're at least enjoying each other's company... But just until Hockey Night In Canada Comes on.. The Leafs are playing and I alway like a good laugh... Oh yea, and don't forget that Three Stooges short starts at 12:00. "

Cheers
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:50:49 AM

There is overwhelming evidence that men and women are intrinsically different.

I knew it.
 suanam_90
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:51:38 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the great responses. But again can we "Get real" for just a moment. (By the way, I don't care for Dr. Phil either. For the sake of ratings, he gets way too mean to his guests.)

"Honey, Let's go to the scrap booking convention tomorrow."

"Sweetheart, I had a tough week, and the convention is 350 mile away."

"Timothy, You know this is the biggest convention of the year and Debra SoAndSo, the leading authority on how best to incorporate genealogy research into one's scrap book, is going to be there. Besides I'll drive."

"Sweetheart, Sounds like this is really important to you. Can I wait to see how spunky I'm feeling tomorrow?"

"Timothy, How many times have I watched boxing with you? I hate boxing. What about all those walks we went on together! I did those things just because I love you. And now you won't put yourself out to do something I like. "

[Light comes on. I thought she liked boxing and walking. Back to the story.]

"Sweetheart I don't know what came over me. Let's stop off at our favorite restrauant on the way out of town for a big breakfast."

THE END

I wish I would have known that she didn't like boxing and walking so that we could have spent that time differently--doing something we both enjoyed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds to me that your woman was having more fun doing other things maybe the problem its you and your thinking. Time to look for real women and stop dating the shallow ones.
 german chick 1968
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:54:27 AM
I dont see no need in pretending that I am something that I am not ..
That goes for pretending to like the "man" things or hobbies ...
I am who I am and I cant change that .. to say I like football would be nothing like a lie , the latest it would come to light is when you find out I have no clue whats going on ... but then again I may not have a clue about the game ... but most of them guys look darn sexy in them outfits ,lol.
but wont state I like that stuff but that dont mean you could not like or do them things , right ???
a lie is a lie no matter what way you look at it ..
I dont think I could trust a person that lied /or pretened to be somebody else .
but hey that JMO
to each its own
k
 UrsulaMajor
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:54:36 AM
I'm always suspicious when anyone generalizes about anyone else, generally speaking. I agree with the poster who said just because the Chinese invented noodles doesn't mean anyone else who says they like noodles is lying. And let's face it, in previous centuries women weren't allowed to go out and play sports, much less invent them. They had to sit and do needlework wearing whalebones corsets that contricted their lungs and then die in childbirth.

Are there women who like boxing, golf, football, hockey, et cetera? Undoubtedly. Are there women who like scrapbooking and teddy bear conventions? Apparently. Do the two cancel each other out? Not at all.

I like football, but I'm not a ravening fan. I'll probably watch the Super Bowl. Same with baseball. If I wanted to go to a scrap-booking event (shoot me in the head if I ever do), then I'd go with friends who were interested in that kind of cra--- um, stuff. I woulnd't expect my non-interested partner to go.

I'd be willing to watch more football, hockey, try rock climbing if that's YOUR thing, but I won't pretend to be avidly interested if I'm not.

So perhaps you're choosing women who value appearances more than autheticity.

-- Yeah, you KNEW it was going to come aorund and be your fault, didncha?!
 Luna Winchester
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:54:50 AM
Why didn't you ask her beforehand if she was into that stuff?
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:03:22 AM
Ok, I get it now. You were dating somebody who you were not compatible with and decide that all women are cut from the same cloth! Gotcha!

Couples who enjoy the same things is important. I don't think anybody here will dispute that. However, so is taking an interest in the things that are important to your SO. That does not mean you have to partake in these activities all the time, taking the time to do something of importance to your SO is about sharing and valuing the time you spend together. Some couples are willing to accept their partners for who they are and will give up an afternoon to do something they may not be particularly fond of. It sounds like she has done things with you that she did not enjoy, but you were not willing to reciprocate.

The convention would have been a good excuse for a good day trip. The scrapbooking may not have been of interest to you, but you might have enjoyed the genealogy presentation. While in the city where the convention was taking place, you could have done a bit of sightseeing, shopping or checked out a new restaurant.

A closed mind limits opportunities!!!

have experienced the following, and so have other men here. Although they may be too desparate for a date to admit it.

Oh man, you just keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper. Keep shoveling. A couple more feet ought to do it!
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:08:18 AM

Men invented all those things mentioned earlier, not women.

Men invented hiking and rock climbing? Not necessarily. At one point there was probably a woman who had to get from one place to another, and there were some really big rocks in her path.
 kthyg
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:17:29 AM
Let's see. I grew up camping, fishing, and hunting and I enjoy them although I admit in my old age I prefer camping with a cot to sleep on then sleeping on the ground. I love watching football, basketball and MMA although I have no desire to participate in any of them. My hand/eye coordination is not good. I dislike endless hours of shopping although I enjoy an occasional trip. I like pedicures and having my nails done. I can talk engines and old school muscle cars for eons because I love them. I could not see myself scrapbooking, sewing, or anything like that to save my life. I love to cook though and am a fabulous baker. Hiking and mountain climbing are not my thing. I like my trails a little more groomed. Again it's that coordination thing.

In other words, if I could only like traditionally female things, I would be bored indeed. Instead, I have a wide variety of interests that are not defined by my gender. I don't think it's that tough of a concept to grasp.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:27:01 AM
Of course my response to this (really) is that people should stop expecting to do everything together.

Why doesn't she go do what she wants, and he stay home and do what he wants? Not every couple has to share/endure every freaking pastime.

Guys can call their friends and go to boxing matches and women can go with their friends scrapbooking (as an example, of course).

The problem isn't some pastimes are inherently male or female, or that people have to go places they don't like, the problem is couples having to be joined at the hip or dragging an SO somewhere they don't want to be based on some idea they learned somewhere that it's "bonding". Perhaps if couples didn't forego all their friendships for their current relationships, they wouldn't end up trapped in that kind of hell.

*shrug*
 UrsulaMajor
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:28:04 AM

Of course my response to this (really) is that people should stop expecting to do everything together.

Why doesn't she go do what she wants, and he stay home and do what he wants? Not every couple has to share/endure every freaking pastime.

Guys can call their friends and go to boxing matches and women can go with their friends scrapbooking (as an example, of course).

Hell, yeah! What SHE said!
 german chick 1968
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:28:29 AM
I dont believe women cant do the same things, or have the same interests as men do ...
you will find man that like to sew ( dont ever give me a needle I kil myself with that)
these days nothing is genter related and the sky is the limit ...
but I do believe that men should leave 2 things to women and only to women ...
#1 childbirth
#2 sexy lingery
other then that what ever floats your boat I guess ......
 wild heart
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:35:02 AM
Agreed, you all don't need to be doing everything together, but what's wrong is he/she wants to be with you while you do your activity. I don't watch football, but when I was engaged, I used to make bets with him and I did learn some things. It wasn't very often that I sat down and watched a game with him, but sometimes I would depending on what I had to do.

Isn't sharing the moment more important than worrying about why he/she is there?!

Some people like to be bonded at the hips, others don't. To me, being independant is having my own interests and thoughts. I can be in the same house doing my interest and he can be at the other end. Or we can go out and do out stuff. Worrying about this stuff is why most of us are single.

I don't need to be involved in every little thing he does. But since I'm interested in HIM, I'm interested in what he's doing. Doesn't mean I'll be sitting there beside him all the time.

Who cares really.....People who worry too much about independance are perhaps not ready for a LTR? I'm realistic enough to realize that if I get into a LTR, my life and my independance will change to some degree.

I think Dr. Phil is a twat too. Him and John Tesh ain't preaching anything new.....
 Willys Wild Wheaties
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:36:21 AM
DJChickie401 is right as alwaysI think I have found a few people that I have talked to on POF act like asking about activities is really getting to know somebody and there is going to be some great connection....people in long-term relationships do things on their own...
 daynadaze
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:37:42 AM

You are 100% right. There is overwhelming evidence that men and women are intrinsically different. They think differently. They act differently. They have different strengths and weaknesses. And they tend to like to do different things for fun.

So is each individual, as different from each other as they are the same. Let me know if you ever hear POP! when you pull your head out of The Misogynist Adventures.
 ladyc4
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:38:04 AM

go even further than you. I don't believe women like sex. I don't believe women like eating. They don't like jokes. (Mine, anyway.)

I can't speak to the jokes part( unless that's what all your posts are??) but I like sex done well and eating good food.

They don't like to go on expeditions to find the North Pole

I wasn't aware it was missing.

They don't like casual sex with strangers on the streets.

given the existence of deadly STDs, and the danger of becoming an outcast from society if convicted of illegal sexual conduct, why would ANYBODY?

They don't like beer.
make mine an Irish red

They don't like playing chicken on the highway with Ferraris.

It's ever so much better played with Freightliners.

They don't like to get into SUVs in groups and go into the woods for days with many a case of beer, with the express purpose to shoot Bambi.
I've shot a few Bambi. And killed an injured one with a tire iron.

They don't like to rip Barbie's head off her neck. (This one really baffles me. What's not to like about that?)

They don't like to put Ken and Barbie together in extremely embarrassing positions.

They don't like to play with Ken and Barbie and from time to time imagine a moment when Barbie lets out a fart.

I never much liked Barbie and Ken,why should I care about embarrassing positions and farts?

They don't like men.

They don't like other women.

They have nothing to wear but a disdain for all men in their expressions.

A 'disdain?' Sorry I can't afford( and seldom even LIKE) designer fashions.
My liking of other human beings depends on their likeability. I would expect them to only like ME if they found me to be likeable.
Cindy O
 Wylie_Coyote
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:42:06 AM
Isn't the proof in the pudding? I know a ton of women that are into Football. They know the players, who is hot at any given time, the rules, other teams strengths, weaknesses and so on. When I go camping there are a lot of other couples getting wild at the camp fire and everyone it having a good time.

People just like to do what they like. I don't really care if she learned the things to meet guys. I know that I do some stuff to meet women. I put stuff on my page that I hope that women might really want to do with me and look for those same things on their pages.

Crap, I took Home Economics and Typing in High School to meet girls. Now I can cook, mend my own cloths and use my computer. I never really met anyone in those classes that liked me but I was a dorkey kid back then.

Just my 2 cents.
J Mac
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you believe a woman when she says ...