Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > does the christian cross offend?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cheekyjules
Msg: 151
view profile
History
does the christian cross offend?Page 7 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Do you think the priest stands at the doors asking your sexuality?.. maybe you should go tell a Priest your gay and see if your welcome to attend Church on a Sunday before you discredit what I say!

If you cant be arsed to do that then ... then stop spouting crap you know nothing about

EDIT
The Pope does say

The pope said humanity needed to "listen to the language of creation" to understand the intended roles of man and woman. He compared behavior beyond traditional heterosexual relations as "a destruction of God's work."

He also defended the Church's right to "speak of human nature as man and woman, and ask that this order of creation be respected."

He does not say if your Homosexual you cant attend church.
 sterlingvoid
Msg: 152
view profile
History
does the christian cross offend?
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:28:00 PM
Sorry, sorry my mistake.

"The Catholic Church opposes gay marriage. It teaches that while homosexuality is not sinful, homosexual acts are."

Cool. So you can stand at the back of the church and think homosexual thoughts but for pity (as opposed to god) sake dont go acting them out. I am so glad the church cleared that one up...

Good thing about being an atheist , I can think for myself and make my own mind up without having to defer to a 2000 year old handbook.
 Loumoos
Msg: 153
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:30:16 PM
Since when has anyone even an Atheist had the freedome to act on their own will..haha

I don't think anyone in todays society has any right , religion is a nasty thing sometimes..
 sterlingvoid
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:41:56 PM

Since when has anyone even an Atheist had the freedome to act on their own will

Anyone can act on there own free will. If I decide I want to throw myself in the Thames I can. Similarly if I want to break into someones house I can, its just that there is a fair chance I will get caught and arrested. I can still do it of course. Is there anything that I cant do ?

There is nothing to stop people acting on their own free will, its only the consequences (prison, family, moral values etc) of those acts that stop (most) people from acting them out.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree :)
 7rainbows
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 11:07:25 AM
Jules, you read my post wrong. I dont know where you get that from that i have no respect for other religions. I didnt say that at all. im glad you have your faith that you are happy with. Just accept though that organised religion has caused so many wars, so much hatred over the years.

Iv met some totaly ignorant christians in my time, even explored christianity myself for a while. Realised it wasnt for me as i found it all so hypocrytical. I also find Christians to be on of the most ignorant when it comes to my faith, they just belive we Pagans are all evil, they judge us as being wrong. Who are they to say we are wrong or right? They are even known to turn up to our events and cause trouble. This is not acceptable. At witchfest over the last few years there has been a small group of them gather outside the venue shouting and singing at us. All were doing is having a day of workshops, lectures and stalls. Why cant they mind their own business? Another time a group of friends and i were having a bbq in a park, a space we had booked for a private party. It was to celebrate one of our festivals. A group of Christians came and sang as loud as possible all carrying crosses. Our high priest went over to invite them to have food with us, join our bbq but they refused and started getting louder and louder trying their hardest to ruin our celebrations. We were doing no harm, why do they feel the need to spoil it for us, imagine the outcry if we ran in on a church service and started chanting, we would never do that as its against everything we believe in.

I have every respect for people who wish to follow their faith, i just hate the way some of you go on to try and convert others, look down on those who follow a different pathway, discriminate and belive your way is the only way. And worst of all when you go round killing in the name of your God. You know this still happens as it has throughout history and will continue to while humans roam this Earth.

As for the catholic church being open to all, i know for a fact it is one of the most disciminating of all religions practised throughout time. I remember about 2 years ago i went to a festival for gay and bi people, to come together and celebrate, listen to music, eat, drink and enjoy. On the gates were a group of Christians handing out leaflets telling us what sinners we all were for going into the festival in the first place, gay, bi or straight.

Why do you christians feel the need to do this? Why cant you leave well alone, practice your faith and we will practice ours in peace.
 heteroguy
Msg: 156
Posted: 1/26/2009 11:43:47 AM
funny how if you give christianity a bit of a bashing, with a few sweeping generalisations, half truths etc, no one seems to mind. can you imagine if i had said (for example) words to the effect that many of the muslims that i had met at/near my local mosque weren't particularly charitable, and didn't seem like they were "real believers"?...some of the more fluffy and benign acting, but in reality smug and superior among you would of been tripping over yourselves to flaunt your PC credentials and condemn me with your lengthy sanctimonious protestations, no doubt making out that i'm everything from a common garden bigot to a fully paid up member of the SS.... yet consistently making unfounded derogatory/unkind comments about christians seems to be ok.

in my opinion this is a "positive" religous bigotry, just like the so called "positive" racism that i have spoken of in earlier posts. it's interesting to note that some of the more vociferous among you, who were very quick to defend islam against my comments (misplaced though it was), felt no compunction about making comments that might upset a devout christian forum member. one or two of you have been very consistent in doing this. as stated earlier, i am about as much a christian as i am a muslim, so this doesn't hurt my religous sensibilities, as i don't really have any. sadly, it's human nature to "go with the flow" or "tow the party line" of whatever is the prevailing ideological trend at that particular time. at the moment the trend seems to be to champion foreign or minority faiths /cultures at the expense of, well, in this instance, christianity. trends change though. will your opinions change with these trends? bet they will.

PS trying my hardest with regard to these paragraphs, still not quite sussed it, but doing my best, as i wouldn't want to upset my fellow learned forum users.

PPS fair play jim, you have proven yourself to be more of a man than was previously suspected. the last post that was aimed at me (couple of days ago), although you had obviously spent considerable time over it, was a massive improvement..... still don't agree with you, but that's life.
 cheekyjules
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 11:57:53 AM
Witch

I have no ignorance with Paganism. I acknowledge and understand that is there good and bad Pagans, good and bad Christians, good and bad Muslims.. etc etc

Some Pagans have practised a darker side but most believe in everything having a soul and are not so frowned upon these days. I think Paganism has evolved from what it once were.. like how Christianity has too.
It is mainly the older generations that hold this bigoted opinion and they are a dying breed of Christians.

Some Pagans believed in human sacrifice, most didn't.

Some Christians believed its right to beat a child with a paddle, Most dont

Some Muslims believe their god wants them to blow up innocent people, most do not.

Can I just point out too that we are not at war now in the name of Christianity are we?

As for the catholic church being open to all, i know for a fact it is one of the most disciminating of all religions practised throughout time. I remember about 2 years ago i went to a festival for gay and bi people, to come together and celebrate, listen to music, eat, drink and enjoy. On the gates were a group of Christians handing out leaflets telling us what sinners we all were for going into the festival in the first place, gay, bi or straight

So how do you know they was Catholic?
 stew_67
Msg: 158
Posted: 1/26/2009 12:04:29 PM
bloody hell this is a long thread
 maleshot
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 12:38:14 PM
bloody hell this is a long thread

yes, imagine combining it with the creationism v evoloution one !

then again maybe not
 Susieb
Msg: 160
Posted: 1/26/2009 2:51:46 PM
Perhaps they might have achieved more/done better by investing the money in the 'community'
 Susieb
Msg: 161
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:03:25 PM
With the greatest of respect - CheekyJules - given the fact that you are 'here' and given your somewhat provocative photo - I don't really think you are in a suitable psoition to criticise or pontificate.
 cheekyjules
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:05:16 PM

ooooh bit of tongue...very saucy yes lmao

pontificate lol

*goes to put my robes on*
 Jim...
Msg: 163
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:12:29 PM

PPS fair play jim, you have proven yourself to be more of a man than was previously suspected. the last post that was aimed at me (couple of days ago), although you had obviously spent considerable time over it, was a massive improvement..... still don't agree with you, but that's life.

I don't see how posting on a forum can determine how much of a man someone is, anyone can sit and throw stuff out there, threaten anything, whatever, without any of the consequences you'd expect saying it to someone's face. I don't tend to take comments personally even if they are, so no harm done here. Glad you took the hint about paragraphs on board though.

I can assure you that my last post didn't take as long as you might think, but you're right, there's as much chance of me coming round to your view as there is of you coming round to mine. You are however entitled to your view, which is something I'd stick up for on anyone's behalf.

I'm not as PC as you might think and I believe that as religions go, the muslim faith is one of the worst out there. It's about 500 years behind christianity as far as human rights and tolerance goes. I'm happy for people to practice their faith, just not happy for them to ram it down my throat. I offer Sharia Law as evidence of the savagery of Islam... and the Archbishop of Canterbury was suggesting we incorporate some of it into our laws???

maleshot
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:26:56 PM
Jules, get thee to a nunnery quick - and take my burka while your at it
 christoph_er
Msg: 165
Posted: 1/26/2009 4:45:57 PM
Religeon in general offends me.
And as for evolution vs creationism..that's not even an argument. Evolution is factm creationism is bull shit, anyone who thinks otherwise is just a moron.
 Cyrano-de-B
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:01:10 PM
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Leviticus 18:22

Of course Jim you have fallen into the typical 'non-thinking' view that this translates into you cannot 'sleep with' another man, when it could equally mean (if we were actually to take it literally and not add personal biases to it) that you shouldn't lie (tell an untruth) to other men, but can lie to women, a bit like most blokes do on here according to other threads I have read !
 Cyrano-de-B
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:08:18 PM
Have you heard the one about the dyslectic, insomniac, agnostic ?

They used to lie awake at night and wonder about the existance of a Dog !
 Agapis
Msg: 168
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:55:57 PM
its over the top.

these people should go and live in mississippi in the 1950's.

when they'd wake up every morning to a burning 12 foot cross impaled in their front lawn,surrounded by the mayor and the judge and a few cousins, then they could say "we are offended".

who cares?
 al963
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 8:46:05 PM
it obviously upset someone with power that day they they were filming.

The cross has been a symbol of western imperialialism in the eyes of the east, since the 11th century. Now we live in a multicultural society, maybe they were right to cover it.

They're only looking to sell more advertising space after all.
 heteroguy
Msg: 170
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:13:18 AM
susieb, i was just wondering what you thought was "provocative" about cheeky jules's photo? it just looked like a girl, with a smile on her face, poking her tongue out, can't say this provoked me. maybe it's something else that's bugging you? touch of the old green eyed monster me thinks.....

this forum, to my mind at least, has been a microcosm of the larger religous world, different people wading in with very thinly veiled prejudice regarding certain faiths. surely no one on this forum is so backward as to believe that "certain" religions are peopled by mainly unpleasant types while "certain" other religions have nicer people practising within them? i think one or two of you thought that i had taken a rather negative view of islam, if i'm honest there is a lot of stuff that goes on within the islamic world that i am very uncomfortable with, women's rights (such as they are!) being a pertinent example, but i feel if you held islam up to christianity, you would probably find roughly the same amount of hypocrisy etc. it's just that what with the (relatively) recent influx of muslims and the 9/11 furore, muslim practices have been brought in to sharp focus recently.

i have spoken before though, of a militant minority of muslims, and indeed other faiths, who have taken advantage of, and indeed helped to foster, the current feverish politically correct climate in this country. you can blame these people for the situation we find ourselves in at the moment where we have to hide the cross and celebrate christmas "on the quiet" etc etc......BUT, we as citizens of the uk, also have to shoulder some of the blame too, we have allowed this state of affairs to develop in OUR country. why did we allow this situation to develop? why do we allow it to continue?
 Jim...
Msg: 171
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:29:03 AM

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Leviticus 18:22

Of course Jim you have fallen into the typical 'non-thinking' view that this translates into you cannot 'sleep with' another man, when it could equally mean (if we were actually to take it literally and not add personal biases to it) that you shouldn't lie (tell an untruth) to other men, but can lie to women, a bit like most blokes do on here according to other threads I have read !

You must be in the minority of one to believe that interpretation. The original latin does not allow such an error in meaning. As for lies, it's covered in the commandments with no gender exceptions.

Heteroguy: I'm stunned that I can't argue with anything you just posted.
 cheekyjules
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:43:01 AM
LOL Thanks Hetro ;-)

TBH I dont know an awful lot about Islam. I only know what I hear and thats nothing to form a definate opinion on.

What I do know is we dont bomb innocent people in the name of Christianity. (refer to previous terror attacks)

Before I can comment futher on the Islamic faith Hetro, I really must read up on it first.. but I cant be arsed!

*Goes to read about Convents instead*
 stew_67
Msg: 173
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:51:38 AM

: Oil is not Chistianity.

politics sportswriter thats all about oil ,not religion .

regilion is a tool used to justify war....

greed fuels everything sportswriter not oil
 heteroguy
Msg: 174
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:01:45 AM
yeah cheekyjules, i know what you mean, i can't claim to be an expert on the muslim faith, however, there are a lot of things that i see in the papers/news channels that i don't like to see. certain factions of the aforementioned do seem to be a little behind the times on certain issues such as law and order....i'm appalled at the treatment meted out to women who have been raped in some arab states, i'm also not massively impressed with people being stoned to death, for any reason. in my view, theft should never be punishable by any sort of amputation either, IN MY OPINION the muslim/arab countries do tend to lag behind western countries with regard to human rights, particularly for women.

please don't any clever****come up with the old "you can't believe everything you see in the media" trick to argue with my point please, i read a selection of newspapers, and watch more than one news channel, i am, i like to think, astute enough to realise that any newspaper or media outlet will be a lense through which the political views of the owner will colour the way the news is presented. you have to trust the media to a certain extent though, how else would we keep up to date on things? i take any news with a slight pinch of salt, meaning that if i read a story in multiple newspapers i'd be far more likely to believe it than if i read it in just one.....i take in as much evedence as i can, from differing sources, run it through my internal "bullshit filter" then make my own mind up.
 stew_67
Msg: 175
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:10:21 AM

We seem petrified of Muslims now.

A certain person mentioned /asked where you came from sportswriter.
all religions should be respected ,muslims ,new age ,whatever you chose .
and who said anything about being afraid of muslims???
if any christian visited a muslim country and was viewing a programe on tv
and see a muslim religious icon would they be offended , answer NO
same goes for our cross being shown on our tv's in our counrty
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > does the christian cross offend?