Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Chris Osgood...over rated???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 26
Chris Osgood...over rated???Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
"Gee, did we not also hear those predictions that the Wings, could not , would not win the cup, last year?"

I never heard those predictions last year. But if all it takes is for me to say that they won't win with Ty Conklin as their starting goalie to give you full confidence, you're welcome.

You want to talk overrated? How he is even back in the NHL is beyond me.

han03
Msg: 27
Chris Osgood...over rated???
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:21:51 AM
He had 32 wins with a .910 save percentage for the Islanders in 01-02, and 31 wins for St. Louis with the same save percentage in 03-04. He has 378 wins, currently 12th on the all-time win list. His win totals may be padded playing the majority of his career for the wings, but still a pretty good goalie. The Wings defense has been terrible this year, and may end up being their downfall this year in the playoffs, though I hope not.
 han03
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:26:23 AM
Ty Conklin career stats 64 wins 39 losses 4 ties 2.56 GAA and a SV%.910, for those interested, lots of minor league time.
 Windsorite1
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:40:59 AM
How you figure though that they can't win with him...like it was said before he came to Detroit with only 2 career shutouts, and now he already has 5 with Detroit and Osgood doesn't have any this year. Osgood has 86 GA Conklin has 58. And there's only a 2 game difference between them. So why do you feel they wouldn't be able to win with Conklin? He's the better goalie this year
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:52:12 AM
He has a history of choking in big games. He choked in the Calder Cup final, he choked in the Stanley Cup final (Edmonton), he choked in the World Championships and he'll choke with Detroit.
 Windsorite1
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/3/2009 1:26:33 PM
Osgood was notorious for chocking. But when all you have to do is make an average of say....15 saves a game or less, of course you're going to look good. And out of those 15 saves or less majority of them aren't going to be spectacular saves, may 1-2.

Detroit beat the Sharks the best team in the league with Conklin 6-0... Then they play Osgood against the Sharks and lose 6-5. Sure Osgood faced a few more shots, but to allow 6 more goals compared to Conklin. If Detroit were to keep there defense the way they do they could win the cup for sure with Conklin

And in 05-06 the Oilers made it to game 7 of the stanley cup finals...how is that chocking, just cause someone doesn't win the cup in game 7 doesn't mean they chocked.
 Kaos86
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/3/2009 2:09:59 PM

Detroit beat the Sharks the best team in the league with Conklin 6-0... Then they play Osgood against the Sharks and lose 6-5.

In the first game San Jose was on the last game of a 4 game road trip and back to back games.
In the second game Detroit was in the 4th of a 6 game road trip and back to back.
It's a team game.

Conklin has out played Osgood so far this season but Osgood has what only one or two other current tenders in the league have ...Two Stanley Cup wins as a starter.

Start Conklin and then when he falters turn it over to Ozzie.
Who cares as long as Detroit wins!
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/3/2009 4:46:11 PM

And in 05-06 the Oilers made it to game 7 of the stanley cup finals...how is that chocking, just cause someone doesn't win the cup in game 7 doesn't mean they chocked.

Not with Conklin in net they didn't. He rode the pine after costing the Oil Game 1.
Jusi Markanen was the one who almost saved the Cup for the Oilers that year. The only thing Conklin did in that series was set up Rod Brind'Amour for the game-winning goal in the opening game.

Hey man, like I said...not being a Red Wing fan I really do hope they make him their number-one for this year's playoff run. So in that regard, I am rooting for him
 cincin3500
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/3/2009 8:54:32 PM
I sense sarcasm....But then again, I called the number of games and Zetterberg as the Conn Smythe winner WAY in advance, as in before I ever found POF's playoff pool. And I think I was the ONLY one to get it right in the pool too. You may have someone with esp...and someone with a "vision" on your hands.... One never knows... I also called the Lightning in 7 and Brad Richards (not the fav) as the Conn Smythe winner back before the strike. Anyway, just because I had a 45 minute near death experience shouldn't intimidate you for my early picks and bets. I've been wrong before...
Looking forward to a FULL playoff season in the pool this year, I missed more than half of it last year, I didn't know about it.... Good Times. i don't remember you from last ear RBG!
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/3/2009 9:36:48 PM
I was "prairie pundit" last year
 cincin3500
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/3/2009 9:49:37 PM
aH HA....SO YOUR NOT A STRANGER...
I'll have to go back though... Pretty sure I liked you then.... Any thought s from yourself????
 cincin3500
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/3/2009 9:57:00 PM
You were sure there for me and Smackems awards and you know I love Riot and Kaos.... He's a Wings fan! She's a lightning fan....
I came on board late in the playoffs.... Looking forward to a full term year... It's mine this year......

I have visions I tell you. I have been beyond....SERIOUSLY.... the hockey gods are my friends. Be afraid, be very afraid.....

Now on a serious note

What do you see happening with Franzen and Hossa???? I haven't slept since Holland made his remarks the other night about signing one and not the other before playoffs this year with salary caps...... WTF... Franzen is my boy....he played with "The Captain" But Hossa is Hossa....He played with............the punk.........lol. But he's Hossa and I love him, but he's low man on the pole.
Your Thoughts???
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/3/2009 10:24:57 PM
"Any thought s from yourself???? "

Yeah...I'm pretty sure you liked me too
 gunsandrosesfan
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 10:37:26 AM
In the 2007/2008 Osgood let up 5 of 8 goals...When is comes down to playing a good team he can't handle it. If you were to put him on team Italy (I know he's Canadian) for next years olympics...against teams like Canada, Czechs, Sweden, Russia, U.S.A...He'd choke so bad, probably let up 10 goals
 Hookme2009
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/4/2009 1:22:57 PM
No way is he overrated, but not having the best of a year this year, Conklin is having a better year, but we will see in the playoffs, Osgood usually when pressed, rises to the occassion.
 Zain_A
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 3:44:32 PM
uh, wow, so your reasoning for why he is not over rated is, your hoping when the playoffs start in another 3 months, Osgood might turn it around then....???

The season started a long time ago, sucking for half the season is clearly a BIG problem. And justification for the over rated tag.
 Hookme2009
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/4/2009 6:29:51 PM
How many Stanley Cups did he win????
 Hookme2009
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/4/2009 6:31:58 PM
How people forget, who stood up in the playoffs last year when "Hassuck" stunk up the joint?????
 Windsorite1
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/4/2009 9:12:49 PM
Like I said before when you have one of the best defensive teams in the league yeah you're going to look good. Especially when you only have to face about 13 shots a game. Mark Andre Flury was averaging 40 shots a game at one point...if Osgood faces that...his numbers would be terrible and he'd be crusified. What does it tell you when both the Blues and Islanders get rid of him...they didn't like him and he wasn't doing it for them. So put him on the Islanders again then let's see how much people praise him and say how good he is
 hardy231985
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/4/2009 10:05:42 PM
i dont think hes over rated just old..
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/5/2009 3:57:42 AM

"What does it tell you when both the Blues and Islanders get rid of him.

Tells me about the same as the Oilers, Sabres and Penguins getting rid of Conklin. Nothing.

It's not like the Blues and Islanders have improved by leaps and bounds since getting rid of him.
 Windsorite1
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/5/2009 8:52:30 PM
The people that stood up was the defense, they did their job and a good one at that. There was also the year that the Wings had Legacy as the starter. He had a great year but messed up in the playoffs, so they traded him. And now with the blues having such a crappy team, his stats go down. But I think Legacy was better in my opinion.
 Crownie317
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/6/2009 12:06:39 AM
Osgood's one of those goalies who is the definition of "solid". He'll rarely steal you games (not saying never), but he'll rarely cost you games. He's a good goalie to have if you're a great team, because he's consistent. But he's not the type of goalie you'd want on a crappy team.

That's why he has success in Detroit, but was pretty lousy everywhere else he's played.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/6/2009 4:32:09 AM
Well said, Crownie.
 Kaos86
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/6/2009 11:08:50 AM
But I think Legacy was better in my opinion.

Is that why Legacy was always Osgood's backup?
This is why we let Ken Holland run the program!

I agree Osgood has never been great but he has bee solid.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Chris Osgood...over rated???