Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Phelps: Hero or Zero?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Random Entry
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Phelps: Hero or Zero?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

The way I understood it was that he is banned for three months from the training facility he uses which shouldn't affect him at all. Nothing the OC can do to him since he's not competing at the moment.

That is what is so funny. It isn't even a proverb slap on the wrist!

They obviously want him to compete and to be sensible enough that none of it shows up in his blood in the time period of the next olympics and future important competitions.

But if he had at least consulted a lawyer he could have gotten out of it all kinds of ways. The lawyer could have lied and said they didn't think the pic was authentic. That the resolution was too poor to be sure it was him. Or that it was a phelps-lookalike.

His admission incriminated himself. He broke Miranda code was his stupidest mistake of this whole issue. Plus it made the contreversy over right NOW.

He could have milked it for far more free advertising for product endorsement had he hired a lawyer and fought it, publically, all over the TV.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 27
Phelps: Hero or Zero?
Posted: 2/8/2009 4:35:16 PM
^^^^ Good point except Johnny Cochran passed away.
But I guess someone like him has to have the character to want to do the right thing. The monotany of swimming a marathon every day has your idle mind doing funny things to your psyche. He would have to live that lie for the rest of his life.

I think it was SNL last night on the update. Went something like :
If you have no life and were in a dorm smoking a bong with the best swimmer in history and your first thought wasn't ' This is so cool I'm partying with Michael Phelps' and instead was 'I think I'll take a picture and sell it to the highest bidding tabloid'
you should be sent to China in a life raft.

It's funny that people now think kids can't look up to anyone who smokes all of a sudden when Hollywood glamorizes cigarettes, any flavor of alcohol is freely advertised and they're giving these kids condom use instructions if not free condoms but have a toke after shattering all records and you shouldn't walk down the same side of the street as the guy.
Kids aren't nearly that naive.
 cotter
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:46:59 AM

... they're giving these kids condom use instructions if not free condoms ...
What's wrong with that? If they're going to fry their brains with drugs and alcohol maybe it would be better if they don't reproduce or at least make an effort not to spread the "love bugs" (STD's) while they're high on that sh!t.

Those of us who DO have children and have raised them ... understand how important it is to teach "glove" technology ... teach being responsible about sexually transmitted diseases. Teaching hormone-saturated teens and young adults just to "hold off and don't have sex" (abstinence) is unrealistic to say the least. Since we know that's not gonna happen, we have to teach the next best thing ... protection.

While working in Hawaii in a clinic that catered to the very poor ... I used to pass out the little bags of condoms (we made up little bags of condoms with 10 to a bag) and put on a "Smokey the Bear" voice and say, "Only YOU can prevent pregnancy and getting STD's." They'd thank me for the condoms and get a good laugh out of it.

LMAO ... sometimes we had to stick (sneak) the bags of condoms in their pants pockets as they walked by since their parent was with them and they didn't want their parent to know they were being sexually active.

I'm sure we have all done things one time or another in our life that we are not too proud of. I think that going along with "stardom" ... no matter if it's big screen or Olympic ... there is a responsibility to be on your toes about the image we leave with the public. Anyone who doesn't want that responsibility really should stay out of the "limelight".
 Random Entry
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2009 8:40:04 PM

^^^^ Good point except Johnny Cochran passed away.
But I guess someone like him has to have the character to want to do the right thing. The monotany of swimming a marathon every day has your idle mind doing funny things to your psyche. He would have to live that lie for the rest of his life.

It's not a lie if a lawyer says it because the lawyer has no first hand knowledge of the incident, only hearsay. This is what their profession is all about -- making reasonable doubt and they are allowed to lie and mislead to do it just like cops are allowed to lie to get a criminal to confess, except while on the stand.

It's funny that people now think kids can't look up to anyone who smokes all of a sudden when Hollywood glamorizes cigarettes, any flavor of alcohol is freely advertised and they're giving these kids condom use instructions if not free condoms but have a toke after shattering all records and you shouldn't walk down the same side of the street as the guy.
Kids aren't nearly that naive.

Exactly. I think his street cred just went up a lot. Because now he is a real, fallible hero.

I just hope the guy gets some legitimate help, but as I thought about this I pondered.... maybe he is prohibited as any ADHD drug would be classified an amphetamine and probably ban him from competing. Rarely there are exceptions.... Wasn't it Jackie Joiner Kersey who use an inhaler, a form of adrenaline, to control asthma? I recall the announcers saying she needed to get a special waiver for that or something like that. But she was using it correctly, not like a banned substance would be abused to enhance performance. It just kept her lungs working normal.
 cotter
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2009 9:08:01 PM
During times he is competing ... he could just use something as simple as a strong Mountain Dew (what is that other really highly caffeinated drink?) ... because that's all it really takes to help him (ADHD people) focus.

My own son was ADHD and whenever we were out doing activities that demanded his undivided attention and he had forgotten to take his medication ... I just made him get some source of caffeine and we were in business.

No need for anything illegal.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/11/2009 1:35:16 AM
It's not a lie if a lawyer says it because the lawyer has no first hand knowledge of the incident, only hearsay. This is what their profession is all about

Agreed but I wasn't refering to the blood sucking lawyer. I meant the life of Mike that has to live the rest of his life as a lie if he would have avoided the whole deal.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/11/2009 12:07:04 PM
There was a pro basketball player that played well into his 40's He was 7 feet tall and ran the court with the best of them at 43.
He made the headlines when he got arrested while traveling with pot.
My first thought when I heard it was 'that makes alot of sense'.
He probably doesn't drink. Doesn't go to the strip clubs 'till 4 am with his younger team mates. Doesn't screw every hotel front desk clerk that winks at him. Doesn't carry a gun around due to his non participation in the gang banging possee that some athletes enjoy having. It's most likely what led to his longevity.
He probably just went home and smoked a joint and then woke up and did his job until his mid forties every day which earned him numerous world championships.
He was from a rival team but I actually gained respect for him after his bust.
It all made perfect sense.
Edit - I wasn't going to put his name but it was
Robert Parrish of the Boston Celtics in their 80's heyday dynasty.
The guy was a machine.
 cotter
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2009 7:11:02 AM
I see where they are considering pressing charges against Phelps now.

He's 23 years old and even if he does have ADHD, he really does need to learn to think past the end of his nose. Time for him to understand that there are consequences for everything we do.

Swim well and fast ... get gold medals.

Break the law ... go to jail.

Since I have no use for illegal anything ... drugs or breaking the law ... I was always very consequential with my children. Of my four children, one was full blown ADHD and one was borderline AD with a reading disability. I always made the rules very clear ... they repeated it back to me and could always ask for clarification. I also always told them immediately what the consequence would be if they broke the rule.

The older they got, the more responsibility was expected. No more three strikes and you're out sh!t. For example ... when you're out driving on the road ... you're expected to follow the rules.
**There are no "take backs" when you run a red light and kill someone.
**There are no "take backs" when you drive drunk and kill someone.
**There are no "take backs" when drive while you're high on some drug and kill someone.

When you're at a party ... I do not care what your friends are doing. Use your head and think past the end of your nose.
 Random Entry
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2009 11:08:15 PM

No need for anything illegal.

I wasn't refering to illegal drugs. I meant normal ADHD meds that would be seen as illegal under the olympic standards.

I had a real close friend with ADHD and I understand it better than you think. Took him a year to trust me enough to even tell me he smoked pot and probably another year before he told me he took prescribed amphetamines to control his ADHD during schooling hours.

He was very creative in his story telling and his outlook on life. But a PITA to wait for to get organized if we were going out to a concert on a weekend night. It'd take him like an hour to find his socks!

But when I saw him spend the last dollar he had on him on pot and realize this had been a trend for quite some time. That drug money came before going out and meeting women then that's when I dropped him cold turkey. After a decade of friendship. And he regretted it. Wasn't because he did drugs -- it was because the drugs had risen to the top priority of his life. Now that is a problem.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2009 9:52:11 AM
~OT~ He should have waiting for the proverbial buzz until he could arrange a trip to CO. It's a mandated statute: "Police Low Priority" and anything possessed under an ounce (I think is the quantity) is nothing more than a $100.00 fine. I believe OR is the same if not more lax. I don't care what he does with his own time. I have a deep seated hatred for pot, but it's not my business what another consenting adult chooses to do unless it infects my area or me personally. JMO
 cotter
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2009 1:30:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger

... Schwarzenegger discussed ... using substances like marijuana. Schwarzenegger is shown smoking a marijuana joint after winning Mr. Olympia in the 1975 documentary film Pumping Iron. In an interview with GQ magazine in October 2007, Schwarzenegger said, "[Marijuana] is not a drug. It's a leaf. My drug was pumping iron, trust me." His spokesperson later said the comment was meant to be a joke.
I guess if Schwarzenegger can get by with it and still remain a national hero and become governor ... why should we be so hard on Phelps ... right?
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/15/2009 3:54:23 PM
Pot activists rip Kellogg Co. for dropping Phelps
By DAVID CRARY – 5 days ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Snap, crackle ... pot?

Bursting with indignation, legions of legalize-marijuana advocates are urging a boycott of Kellogg Co., including all of its popular munchies, for deciding to cut ties with Olympic hero Michael Phelps after he was photographed with a pot pipe.

The leader of one of the biggest groups, the Marijuana Policy Project, called Kellogg's action "hypocritical and disgusting," and said he'd never seen his membership so angry, with more than 2,300 of them signing an online petition.

"Kellogg's had no problem signing up Phelps when he had a conviction for drunk driving, an illegal act that could actually have killed someone," said Rob Kampia, the group's executive director. "To drop him for choosing to relax with a substance that's safer than beer is an outrage, and it sends a dangerous message to young people."

Also urging a boycott were the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, Students for Sensible Drug Policy and the Drug Policy Alliance. They encouraged their members to contact Kellogg to vent their views.

In one sign of the campaign's impact, the Phelps saga took precedence over the tainted peanut butter outbreak in the recorded reply on Kellogg's consumer hot line Tuesday.

"If you would like to share your comments regarding our relationship with Michael Phelps, please press one to speak to a representative," said the recording. "If you're calling about the recent peanut butter recall, please press two now."

From Kellogg's media office, there was no immediate reply to a request for an assessment of the boycott campaign. A Kellogg spokeswoman, Kris Charles, said by e-mail, "Our contract with Michael Phelps was set to expire at the end of February and we made a business decision not to extend that contract."

Last week, the company announced his contract would end and described Phelps' conduct as "not consistent with the image of Kellogg." Kellogg has been placing images of Phelps on the fronts of Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes boxes since September, after the swimmer's record-shattering haul of eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics.

The groups calling for the boycott were angry at Kellogg, but also eager to use the opportunity to restate long-standing calls for decriminalization of pot.

"It's not just that Michael Phelps did what millions of other twenty-somethings do," said Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance. "It's that he did what over one hundred million Americans have done at least once in their lives, including the president, former presidents, members of the U.S. Congress and Supreme Court."

Similar commentary sounded even in mainstream media — including columns in the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and National Review Online questioning the rationale and effectiveness of U.S. marijuana laws.

Norm Stamper, a former Seattle police chief active in the push for easing marijuana laws, released a letter to Kellogg in which he pleaded for "sane, sensible, and compassionate drug policies" and suggested the company had "underestimated the country's maturity on this issue."

He also said he had purchased his last box of what had been his favorite cereal — Kellogg's Mueslix.

Of Phelps' numerous big-name sponsors, Kellogg was the only one to publicly cut ties after the pot photo emerged. While it received some support, the giant food company has also been singled out for mockery by a host of comedians, bloggers and others.

On Saturday Night Live, Seth Myers questioned whether marijuana use was in fact at odds with Kellogg's image.

"Every one of your mascots is a wild-eyed cartoon character with uncontrollable munchies," Myers said. "Every one of your products sounds like a wish a genie granted at a Phish concert."

On the Huffington Post, blogger Lee Stranahan pursued that theme in a proposed petition to the company that said in part, "We believe that most people over the age of 12 would not eat Kellogg's products were they not wicked high."

Stranahan's petition concluded with this call-to-arms:

"Given all these facts and the total disregard for your customer base ... we the undersigned plan to BOYCOTT your products. And we're serious. Even though the Pop Tarts thing will be HARD."
 cotter
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2009 5:01:02 PM

Last week, the company announced his contract would end and described Phelps' conduct as "not consistent with the image of Kellogg." Kellogg has been placing images of Phelps on the fronts of Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes boxes since September, after the swimmer's record-shattering haul of eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics.
That sounds right to me ... they really have a reputation of only using "wholesome reputable athletes" on their products.

They have a right to make that call. Pot is illegal and using it is also (with insignificant exceptions) illegal. Why in the world would they promote someone who is openly doing something illegal?

If people want to do things that are considered (and truly are) illegal ... they should not be held up as heros ... even if "millions of other twenty-somethings do". Soooo just because "millions of other twenty-somethings" might jump off a bridge ... Phelps should?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2009 12:22:13 PM
~OT~ I have a real problem considering ANY professional athlete a "hero." Heroes are those who are selfless in action. I don't think multi-million dollar contracts due to one's physical abilities equate to selflessness, quite the opposite. (There are a few exceptions, those who truly do give back much more than they take.) I'm still thinking that salary caps for professional athletes should be a Constitutional Addendum ~ but I sometimes live within my own head rather than reality.
 bf109 Emil
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 6:31:46 AM
zero zero zero..............................................................................................
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Phelps: Hero or Zero?