Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Is a DJ a musician?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
infinitymine: "No need to take it so personally....
I agree on their own...they're not really muscians...but to state "it is to music what a coloring book is to art" is an extreme insult to the DJ who spends years honing his craft....

I havean E320 Benz droptop, serial number 234. It's a fairly rare car. There aren't all that many people who know their way around it except for in major metro areas.

The Mercedes techs who have worked on my car are amazingly skillful, competent, and knowledgeable.

But they can neither design nor build an equivalent machine.

Attempts to elevate mere manipulators of machinery to the level of designers of music are laughable.
 Doodledoodleer
Msg: 77
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 8/23/2010 2:30:57 AM
You're an ignorent idiot.

How can you say djing is full of talentless nobodies.

I started out as a dj then i got into music production. I produce my own music and dj, as do most djs these days (produce their own music)

You are a narrow minded prat who needs to learn how the music industry works before posting such rubbish.

You sound like one of the djs/music producers who never made it. I read about people like you daily. Get a grip.
 late™
Msg: 78
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:19:29 PM

You're an ignorent idiot.

Rule number one; when insulting someone's intelligence, ...use spell check. Failure to do so often results in the intended target rendered rubber and you, glue.

Is a DJ a musician?

That depends on what one considers a musician, as opposed to who.

If the definition has loose boundaries, one should be able to earn their musician badge by hanging some wind chimes on the front porch.

Given a more holistic criteria set, ...one should be able to play a musical instrument beyond just the basics, resolve complex chord progressions, re-harmonize, improvise over a wide range of progressions, ...play any genre (this last one separates the stylist from the musician).

As for what a musical instrument is, see: Sachs-Hornbostel classification.

...no turntable (tape deck, or optical drives) listed.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 79
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 8/23/2010 2:03:22 PM

If the definition has loose boundaries, one should be able to earn their musician badge by hanging some wind chimes on the front porch.

In this case wouldn't the wind be the musician?

Given a more holistic criteria set, ...one should be able to play a musical instrument beyond just the basics, resolve complex chord progressions, re-harmonize, improvise over a wide range of progressions, ...play any genre (this last one separates the stylist from the musician).

I think you are asking way too much to qualify someone as a musician. There are some very famous and respected musicians that can't even read music.
And I would venture a guess to say that the vast majority of musicians can't play every genre.
What you are describing is a master musician.

As for what a musical instrument is, see: Sachs-Hornbostel classification.
...no turntable (tape deck, or optical drives) listed.

I don't think anyone has even tried to mix with a tape deck since Mix Master Mike was a kid.
As for the Hornbostel-Sachs classification, it has never fully included every instrument, it is simply a way to classify every instument.
As for the equipment a DJ would use, the Hornbostel-Sachs would list it as class 53 - Radioelectric instruments.

Here's a sugestion, instead of just declaring DJs are not musicians, why not find out how far DJs are stretching the bounds of music.
 late™
Msg: 80
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 8/23/2010 4:41:36 PM

I think you are asking way too much to qualify someone as a musician. There are some very famous and respected musicians that can't even read music.

Reading music is not required to do any of these things.

And I would venture a guess to say that the vast majority of musicians can't play every genre.

Stylists

What you are describing is a master musician.

Not by a long shot, ...a master musician is much more than this (and no, reading music is not a necessity here either).

I don't think anyone has even tried to mix with a tape deck since Mix Master Mike was a kid.

Immaterial, "mixing" is not playing a musical instrument, it is mixing music. If someone uses a banjo to hit baseballs, ...does that automatically make him a baseball player, a musician, or neither?

As for the Hornbostel-Sachs classification, it has never fully included every instrument, it is simply a way to classify every instument.

Yes, do note the criteria, it's not a "list of instruments", ...that part you seem to understand.

As for the equipment a DJ would use, the Hornbostel-Sachs would list it as class 53 - Radioelectric instruments.

No, it doesn't, unless they are actually playing a musical instrument (not triggering a loop).

Here's a sugestion, instead of just declaring DJs are not musicians, why not find out how far DJs are stretching the bounds of music.

Meaningless, ...Leo Fender stretched the boundaries (bounds?) of music more than any DJ could ever dream to, ...and he never played an instrument and was not a musician, Laurens Hammond too, and not only was he not a musician, he was tone-deaf.

I've taught music theory to DJs, ...after learning how to play music on a musical instrument, none of them consider their turntable to be a musical instrument anymore, ...because of its "bounds".
 ExceptionalDistinction
Msg: 81
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 8/25/2010 1:12:07 PM
You could also ask "Can a musician also be a DJ?" Of course... Yes!

A DJ isn't a musician but depends on what your definition is....

If a musician is a person who plays a musical instrument professionally than No a DJ isn't a musician.

If a musician is a person who writes, composes or perform music than a DJ is a musician if the DJ makes music or remixes others, but not if a radio DJ or a club DJ.
 late™
Msg: 82
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 8/25/2010 8:21:22 PM

If a DJ is a musician then i am a director for putting different movie clips together.

And you might as well call a person who goes to a movie theatre, makes cam copies of films ...skillfully re-encoding them and adding a TS audio track ...an "independent film producer".
 130nes
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/4/2010 10:04:42 AM
A very tough question?

If a Dj also produces his/her own original music, then that is a definite yes because surely a musician is someone who makes music. Regardless of how.

Then there are levels, a young kid who makes music on a computer obviously cannot be compared to a concert pianist but they both still make music.

Listen to turtablists and the things that they do when scratching, just another medium to create some musicality, if you listen carefully.

Not all Djs are musicians though, probably because not all understand the complexities of music enough.
 late™
Msg: 84
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/7/2010 7:40:40 PM
The problem really is with the "instrument", ...if it's just scratching, sure, ...okay, I've worked with DJs who are quite obviously skilled at this, ...and can creative percussive effects that can spin the head of even the most experienced musician, ...but this (in all of it's entirety) is limited in scope, ...and limited in application.

As far as the more advanced skills of DJs who arrange 64-64-64 bar structures in "House" style music and its many and myriad derivatives, ...sure, ...some amazing stuff, ...many even create their own loops; BUT (big but) this too is limited in scope and application as far as a "performance" is concerned... there can be no organic shift of meter, no change of key on the fly, ...no improvisation possible as the performance is already "set in stone"; as to key (many DJs can't even find this, ...most maybe, even when doing mixes), time sig, meter.... --> FEEL <--

This is what separates this "effect" from a real musical instrument.

This isn't to say that the best of the best aren't creative, innovative or "talented" (disclaimer, ...that last word doesn't really have any meaning unless you're a theist), ...but they're STILL no more a "musician" than a strict arranger, a recording engineer or a producer (you can add "singer" to this 80+% of the time)...

Granted, as a "layman's term", ...musician is tossed around as if it's a label granted to anybody who owns an instrument, so much so that these days, ...actual musicians often cringe when they hear some claim to be one.
 GiantSteps12
Msg: 85
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/8/2010 9:16:48 PM
I kind of think djs are musicians. I feel that if you can take something like a al green or even a stevie wonder album and create a different perspective from it. Then it is a composition in a new form in some way or another. and it takes work to perfect your skills just like any other instrument. so yeah why cant they be musicians.
 beyondsexy
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/16/2010 10:22:41 AM
Some DJs are just DJs. Some are also musicians. There was a comment about them not being musicians but rather arrangers/ producers. And this means what now? Composer is actually the most accurate, but there's a lot of musical skill required to re- arrange music into something else. Sampling and sequencing are the main techniques these guys employ, and are often seen as lazy, or easy, or whatever. But not all sampling is on the level of MC Hammer with U can't Touch This. Download Dangermouse's Grey Album and tell me that it wasn't creative. An experienced sample- spotter like me can only tell half the time and I know which album all the samples came from! Or Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique which takes bits from just under 200 songs to make the background.

Anyway, the DJ acting as a DJ is more of a curator of music than an actual musician. And just like a museum curator, there's ones who just put a bunch of art on the wall and there's ones who carefully place the pieces in order to guide context and generate specific reactions.
 musicfan21
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/18/2010 2:02:28 AM
Well have you tried to dj?

Its not stealing at all and if anything its a well to reconnect a favorite record or play a certain homage to an era. If it was not for djs no music would be popular (I do not know what you are trying to point out because your lack of knowledge in the subject is to small to make any judggement). It is really absorb how people think that there is some kind of power struggle to prove ones oppinion in music. I have never meet a dj who says I am a musician in the extent that you reference.

To be a good dj there is alot involved. You have to beatmatch, make sure keys do not clash, watch the crowd, and develope a set. I know that I have to stay in time when I play guitar and play in key. Those two ideas sound the same in this simple form. If someone actually showed you how to do the stuff you would be amazed at the time involved.

Calling someone a "Hack" just because they enjoy to spend their time musically on something different then you is dismissive and very snobish. I know alot about music and just love to share records. You sound very closed minded and like the type of person who can only agree with what he has previously been exposed to.

More then this though as stated partially before must never state to be "musicians", they are professional jukeboxes there to make a party more then some lame automated Muzak system. Its a living and breathing culture and a lot of djs eventually go on to play musical instruments and produce tracks.

All and all fretboy80 you just need to let conventions go because music is a man made concept. THe only reason it exist is because of the acute way that out brains can decifer rythem.There is no way you can challenge if a dj is a music is is not simple because that is or is not is only a know definitionof coded language to descride a stimulis to the mind. The mind does not exist as a tangible object so the thought of music or a musician is not tangible in itself.

Bassically you are choosing to describe something as something as not when that original something does not even really exist.
 musicfan21
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/18/2010 2:07:04 AM
how many people can really say that they make money on music?

THe average gig in anything does not cover anything. No one makes money in music except a fine percent, DJ or Guitar player. Also it is a special venure that hires a dj and a special venue that hires a musician.

THEY TAKEN ALL R JERBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 late™
Msg: 89
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/18/2010 4:41:34 PM

There was a comment about them not being musicians but rather arrangers/ producers. And this means what now?

My bad.

An arranger may have been too much of a stretch, ...the process involved is more akin to "editing".

Editing is much better

Put it this way, ...a person using Photoshop to edit pieces and bits of paintings into a collage (a form of "art") may be called an "artist", sure, why not? But, it doesn't make them a "painter", something that requires a much different skill-set, knowledge base and discipline.

A producer is (it takes all of my will not to just cut to one of the many good jokes that usually follows these three words in the music biz ) many things, depending on the genre. In "urban music" it's often either just a financial backer, but can also extend to making editing and mixing suggestions/directives that have marketability as means to an end. Often when someone is a self-proclaimed "urban music" producer it means that he owns a legal copy of ProTools. This is not the same use of the word "producer" when talking about someone like George Martin or Jeffery Lesser, etc.

Sampling and sequencing are the main techniques these guys employ, and are often seen as lazy, or easy, or whatever.

I never said it was lazy or easy (or even uncreative), I just pointed out the reality that it isn't "playing a musical instrument", unless of course; one takes a very loose definition of the terms.

THe only reason it exist is because of the acute way that out brains can decifer rythem.

Nope, rhythm and harmony/melody are processed in different parts of the brain, ...the two processes are innate, and have been mapped using fMRI.

Well have you tried to dj?

This is a non sequitur, ...I haven't yet tried to pull someone's tooth, I can still discern the difference between a dentist and an architect (hint: a dentist isn't an architect).
 musicfan21
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/18/2010 6:27:20 PM
1. _This is a non sequitur, ...I haven't yet tried to pull someone's tooth, I can still discern the difference between a dentist and an architect (hint: a dentist isn't an architect)._

you are relating two different fields there. In this case we are talking about music the difference or lack of in a musician and a dj. I have tried to both play a guitar, a rhodes, a drum set, turntables, a software daw (digital audio workstation, you cannot play this technically as a hole but that is not the point here in this statement.), and a 303 and 909.

When it came down to it I found myself doing so many of the same functions. I had to know the exact rythem, the key, the progression, and much more. I beleive that unless you try or see something you cannot form a statement. The methods are different but if I am playing a minor 7th jazz chord in jazz as a progression or figuring out how to crab or chop that 7th minor into a new chord arrangement or change the pitch to enter the key of d flat it seems the same to my musical arrangement brain. I cannot define the diference in playing versus mixing in simple terms and from what the opposition has stated they cannot really either.

2._Nope, rhythm and harmony/melody are processed in different parts of the brain, ...the two processes are innate, and have been mapped using fMRI._

"THe only reason it exist is because of the acute way that out brains can decifer rythem."
In this statement I never mentioned anything about one or multiple areas being used. Even if I did though it is irrelevent because at any rate I am stating that this action is not defined in physical space and therefore is not tangible. There is no way you can pull a note out of my rectum and say this is music. If something is not tangible (IE music as a concept) I refuse to believe that it fully exist. Everything in our minds is defined suchas because we defined it and a human definition sir is just a assembly of non tangable undifinable actions (is it really even an action if it does not exist at all?).

In conclusion you cannot state "nope" because like your highlighted response in section one of my reply you have defered from the point into a completely oblivious statement that holds no merit.

I want you to prove me wrong in your own words really because I love to be wrong (it is the only way you learn sometimes really) but again with your inexperience of the concept I do believe that you cannot.

Also on a another note (even though I am right ) I do not think this question matters at all because enjoyment is enjoyment. Anyone who feels the need to diminish one others actions because they do not like cannot really talk anyways. All this is entertainment really. This is not a science, its art.
 late™
Msg: 91
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/19/2010 12:47:59 AM

you are relating two different fields there.

That's the point, the argument is on of taxonomy, nusic is an art, it is also a science. Ignore the latter and you miss the point entirely.

When it came down to it I found myself doing so many of the same functions. I had to know the exact rythem, the key, the progression, and much more. I beleive that unless you try or see something you cannot form a statement. The methods are different but if I am playing a minor 7th jazz chord in jazz as a progression or figuring out how to crab or chop that 7th minor into a new chord arrangement or change the pitch to enter the key of d flat it seems the same to my musical arrangement brain. I cannot define the diference in playing versus mixing in simple terms and from what the opposition has stated they cannot really either.

What point are you making here, ...I read a lot of "I cant", and then you made a subjective opinion on the difference between "playing vs mixing".

More non sequitur, ...what point are you trying to make, seriously, ....all you seem to be doing is validating mine?

with your inexperience of the concept...

Hmmm... cite?

I've been in the music biz for over 3 decades, I have associates in the biz who are DJs, ...many of them have been music students of mine, I know how to program Serato, I know how to build a mix (but with an actual music knowledge base); so where exactly, ...is my inexperience?

I've been playing music for over 40 years, ...I know a lot of DJs, I have yet to meet one who can play with other musicians live, ...unless it's tied to a loop.

There's the defining point, ...do you not "get this"?
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 9/19/2010 2:51:23 PM

.I know a lot of DJs, I have yet to meet one who can play with other musicians live, ...unless it's tied to a loop.

There's the defining point, ...do you not "get this"?

That's how I see it, as well. I think, above all, a "musician" should be able to play live with any other musician he encounters rather easily, or at least with a little effort.

No matter what style, or level of expertise they have, that seems to be the defining criteria.

I agree with Late here, I don't see too many DJ's that are capable of that.

Sometimes creative, yes. Entertaining, possibly yes.

Musician, no, at least to me.

They are glorified "sweders"

sweding
Re-making something from scratch using whatever you can get your hands on.

Drives me a bit wild when I read local Montreal alternative papers like Hour and Mirror, and see some lengthy DJ article that seems to present whoever they talk about as some groundbreaking "musician".

Gigs booked for the next two years, rolling in cash, fans galore worldwide, and more groupies than you can imagine.

Meanwhile, a lot of great musicians (the real ones) sit there without jobs or any chance of being heard.
 arwen52
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/1/2010 11:51:02 PM
A DJ plays recorded music, sometimes manipulates it. A musician plays a musical instrument. Why would you ask if a DJ is a musician? Isn't it obvious?

It takes skill to be a good DJ. It's a different skill than being a musician. Just like speaking a foreign language is a different skill than being a cook.

Being a dancer, I appreciate the skills of both good musicians *and* good DJs.

BTW, a musician doesn't have to be professional. There are many non-professional musicians who are more highly skilled than some professionals. Lots of musicians only play one style of music. That doesn't make them any less a musician.

That's how I see it, as well. I think, above all, a "musician" should be able to play live with any other musician he encounters rather easily, or at least with a little effort.

Learning to play well with others is a particular musical skill that not all musicians cultivate. There's lots of solo musicians around. Just because they play solo does not negate that they are musicians.

Insisting that musicians play all genres or play easily with others is, in my opinion, too narrow of a definition of who is a musician. Is one who plays many genres and play with others, but poorly, more of a musician than a highly skilled musician who concentrates on one genre and does it really well? I think these limiting definitions are silly. There are all kinds of musicians. Old time, Irish, classical, jazz, rock, folk, African, Cajun, Zydeco, swing, medieval, new age, Caribbean, orchestral, bluegrass, country, Indian (American and East), Balkan, Turkish, Pakistani, Middle Eastern . . . name all countries, all styles, all time periods. You gonna tell me a musician has to do all of that? Name one!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/4/2010 6:38:18 AM

BTW, a musician doesn't have to be professional. There are many non-professional musicians who are more highly skilled than some professionals. Lots of musicians only play one style of music. That doesn't make them any less a musician.

Agree....generally.

What I meant as that (in my opinion) , any musician should be able to at least try to play with others (no matter what their skill level or talent) so that they both enjoy the experience and make some pleasant sounds. That's what it's all about in the end, when playing with others.

Learning to play well with others is a particular musical skill that not all musicians cultivate. There's lots of solo musicians around. Just because they play solo does not negate that they are musicians.

Not at all, nor am I suggesting that. If they love music, then they should (if the opportunity presents itself) focus on the new opportunity to focus on finding some benefit working with others.

Insisting that musicians play all genres or play easily with others is, in my opinion, too narrow of a definition of who is a musician.

Music's a common language, which you can share with someone that doesn't even speak yours.

Is one who plays many genres and play with others, but poorly, more of a musician than a highly skilled musician who concentrates on one genre and does it really well?

Well, if that person can make something that sounds good (not typically by playing poorly, but more by seeing where he fits in) , and can do that across a variety of music styles is (to me) a more rounded musician - not to take anything away from those that focus on playing one style in solo efforts.

That includes playing where you can make it better, and not playing when you can't.

I think these limiting definitions are silly.

You've just proposed limits yourself, in your example of a person playing only one style solo.

There are all kinds of musicians. Old time, Irish, classical, jazz, rock, folk, African, Cajun, Zydeco, swing, medieval, new age, Caribbean, orchestral, bluegrass, country, Indian (American and East), Balkan, Turkish, Pakistani, Middle Eastern . . . name all countries, all styles, all time periods.

And each gives us something new to think about if exposed to it. It's like being at a cooking school, and finding out that there's an entire universe of spices and food products you've never even thought of using. It doesn't mean you have to be a master chef, but (if cooking with someone else) you see where you can overlap and compliment one another where the final dish is concerned.

Maybe you're the best rib cook in the world, but what it I use........saffron ?

You gonna tell me a musician has to do all of that?

They can try, can't they ?

Otherwise you're limiting yourself....

One rare DJ example of note that perhaps illustrates my point is that Aerosmith mash up with Run-DMC, which caused the world of rap and rock and roll to collide head on in a fusion that actually worked quite well - complimenting both.
 Tabris
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/5/2010 5:18:14 AM
Is a DJ a musician? For me I don't really consider a DJ a musician. But I do consider a great DJ to have great taste in music and an ear for sound.
 arwen52
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/5/2010 6:03:52 PM

Is a DJ a musician? For me I don't really consider a DJ a musician. But I do consider a great DJ to have great taste in music and an ear for sound.

Definitely! It's something a good DJ and a good musician share in common.

Well, if that person can make something that sounds good . . .

I play strictly old time and some people would argue about whether it sounds good or not! We like to say, "It's not as bad as it sounds." (I think Mark Twain said that of Wagner.) As for my musicianship, I absolutely have no delusions about it. I live for a good jam session, I have fun playing with others. If it's not a good time, what's the point of doing it?
 SuperDanCA
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/7/2010 8:10:45 PM
Depends on who's behind the decks! The dude walking around campus in flip flops holding an acoustic guitar trying to hit on chicks isn't necessarily a musician either. In the same sense, a DJ who is not really mixing well or playing good music isn't a real musician either.

I haven't really read through everyone's responses so if I've reiterated someone before me, then my bad!

Keys, notes, pauses, tempos are all applied when DJ'ing... If you don't think so, then that just means you haven't heard a really good DJ.

Just because they're using samples and stuff that "someone else" wrote or created, that doesn't mean that the DJ can't be a musician too. It takes a great amount of musical know how to put tracks, loops, beats and etc together to arrange a set together. You have to understand key, pitch and all that jazz in order to compose a party from beginning to end. You also have to be able to read your audience to make sure that they are connecting to what you're putting out there.

Instead of having a guitar, drum set, bass, singer etc making the music, they are arranging whole pieces of work or breaking them apart to make a completely different sound come out of the system... Don't forget that we're now implementing audio production software, MIDI controllers and other "gadgets" to blend and create. That takes some musical talent right there!

The scene that you are basing your judgement as well could attribute to your stance on the subject. Hip hop dj's, battle dj's, wedding dj's... Your company party dj's... They're really held down to what's "hot" as far as what they can play. In order to find a true "Musician" in the form of a DJ, you have to go check out someone in the Electronic scene. Electronic music is where you can find the likes of MOBY just leveling crowds with his tech/house productions.

So yah... I think DJ's can be musicians just as much as someone wailing away at a live instrument.
 late™
Msg: 98
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/11/2010 8:19:39 PM
The dude walking around campus in flip flops holding an acoustic guitar trying to hit on chicks isn't necessarily a musician either.

Exactly

I think DJ's can be musicians just as much as someone wailing away at a live instrument.

You are forgetting the fact that a musician can change keys, modulate to a change, and vary tempo at will, .... BECAUSE HE'S PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT!

(sigh)

A DJ can't (loops are tied to keys and tempo, ...like any recording)

Whether he is a musician (plays an instrument) or not, he can't function as a musician as a DJ alone.

Simple, no?
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 99
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/13/2010 12:53:26 PM
Bottom line is if they are scratching then they are musicians. If they are digital they are not. If you see a DJ in the back of no less three turntables and scratching they are a musician and actually playing an instrument. If they are checking one of nine iPods and plugging each song into a digital player there is no musicianship in what they are doing.
 elguitar8
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 10/24/2010 8:34:37 PM
Thom Yorke of radiohead used to be a DJ. now's he's a musician.
radiohead creep
http://www.radioheadcreep.com
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Is a DJ a musician?