Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Is a DJ a musician?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Make up my mind? About what?
 michaeloctober
Msg: 178
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 11/5/2011 4:30:49 AM
If you show somebody a painting, are you an artist? If you can tell a ranch style house from a cape, are you a carpenter? If you can drive a car, are you a mechanic? If you can play CD's, (or mp3's on a laptop,) are you a musician?

Mind you, I'm not knocking DJ's. I know several, and they have some legitimate talent. But if a DJ is a musician, then the world's best DJ is Eddie Van Halen.
 steelfool
Msg: 179
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 11/12/2011 11:19:03 AM
It really depends.
If they write their own music and doodle around with it on the turntable, then yes. If all they're doing is sampling and sampling and adding little effects here and there, then no, 'cause then anyone and everyone can do that, therefore everyone's a musician. And that's an insult to me along with other committed hard-working musicians.
 Rushy6
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 12/8/2011 5:02:02 PM
Funny, I think most people have got DJ's and producers mixed up on this thread. DJ's play other peoples tracks. But producers can be musicians. Although they sample, they still put together the beats and play chords etc via a midi keyboard, which they could do on an acoustic piano! The fact they can loop it makes it easier, but don't underestimate the musical talent some of these producers have! Some DJ's produce their own tracks and play them in a DJ set, making them initially producers, therefore musicians.
And your statement that anyone and everyone can sample is ridiculous too. Even though I'd agree if thats all you're doing over a DJ set isn't being a musician, it doesn't mean just anyone can do it! Have you ever tried to use Ableton or Logic? Not something anyone can go on for the 1st time and be great at!
Think a lot of people on this thread are just frustrated musicians, trying out in bands that can't keep up with the electronic music wave thats happening now.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 12/8/2011 6:26:46 PM
i'm a musician AND a producer. YOU haven't got a clue what a producer does. you're talking about programers.
"Producers are traditionally responsible for making sure that everything that needs to happen for the project to be finished is accomplished. Generally during the negotiation process a producer will come up with an estimated cost for producing the project, which includes an itemized budget for things like studio time, paying session players, any royalties or licensing fees, renting a glockenspiel, and removing the green M&Ms from the candy jars. If that budget is approved by whomever is supplying the funds (which can be the producer, the artist, or a label), then any costs that go over are usually the producer’s responsibility. If the project comes in under budget, then usually the producer can pocket the difference. The producer chooses what studios are right for the budget and needs of the session (a large open space with a pool in the middle of an enchanted forest or a no-frills nose-to-the-grind basement in the middle of Manhattan?), what musicians are appropriate, how long to spend on the project, what engineer would get the best result, etc. Some experienced and successful producers will actually front the entire cost of the project, effectively acting as a temporary record label. Others will not invest any of their own money in the project – only their reputation will be on the line."
 RedElectric
Msg: 182
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 12/21/2011 12:42:12 PM
i think if they're using turn tables, or some sort of mixer then yes, but a computer or playlist dj, mmm nah
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:27:38 PM
A monkey could get up there and do what a DJ does! The DJ is certainly no musician. In fact I would not even call them "entertainers". They are "computer geeks"!

However, I take issue with your statement concerning drummers. Obviously, you have never been in a band. The drums and the bass make up the "backbone" of your band, your "rhythm" section. I would hate to get up and try to do a show without a drummer OR a bass!
 kevin4you1
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 3/8/2012 9:46:20 PM
Yes its more than a talent its difficult talent especially when you r a karaoke and DJ owner you have to know music and know how to sing and have a voice know how to read a crowd so yes we r musicians DJ kick it
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 3/9/2012 7:46:33 PM

Yes its more than a talent its difficult talent especially when you r a karaoke and DJ owner you have to know music and know how to sing and have a voice know how to read a crowd so yes we r musicians DJ kick it

that made me stupid just by trying to understand it.

k.w.
doesn't speak tard
 UKTom2
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 5/8/2012 4:06:28 PM
A good DJ will have musical appreciation, yes. That's not the same as being a musician though.
 playfulpete
Msg: 187
Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 5/18/2012 11:45:52 AM
Drummer,s are musicians,a DJ isn,t.Example of a drummer being a musician...Neil Peart of Rush.He writes most of their song and music .
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Is a DJ a musician?