Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Fair Tax Plan-Good or Bad??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 26
The Fair Tax Plan-Good or Bad??Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

What is honest about taxation?

It's the price of living in a civil society.

Under the present system, the IRS has become a domestic Terror Organization.

Oh man the Republican tendency to emote on terrorism has really hit a low point hasn't it?

A real and honest nightmare. Good people have gone to prison.

Good tax evaders?

Even the kids are paying for their parents taxes. Americans have lost everything they had and held responsible for taxes even after they are dead. Hard working people can't work two jobs for fear of being in a higher bracket that would take everything extra they earned.

This shows a complete lack of understanding of tax brackets. You only get taxed the few extra percent on any dollar above the new bracket threshold. You'll never end up losing everything you earned, you end up losing 2 or 3 cents on the extra dollar you earned, try again.

But it is far better than the system we have in place now, that was supposed to be a voluntary program. over 2,000,000 people are backing the fair tax bill and we are growing stronger everyday. Look for us in a neighborhood near you and in your neighborhood soon. Political support is growing too.

LOL. Hilarious.
 ronjo58
Msg: 27
The Fair Tax Plan-Good or Bad??
Posted: 2/19/2009 12:26:40 AM

It's the price of living in a civil society.

You mean the high price of living in a civil society,of course.lol

Oh man the Republican tendency to emote on terrorism has really hit a low point hasn't it?

Hmmmm, seems to me that terrorism dosen't recognize party affiliation. If it did, then I guess no Democrats died or suffered emotional damage from terrorism. Right?

Good tax evaders?

This assumes a lot on your part. Think about it.

This shows a complete lack of understanding of tax brackets. You only get taxed the few extra percent on any dollar above the new bracket threshold. You'll never end up losing everything you earned, you end up losing 2 or 3 cents on the extra dollar you earned, try again.

The 2008 rate was 250.00 per extra 1000 dollars. Remember the deductables don't change.
That is not counting FICA. That is a chunk of money.

LOL. Hilarious

Hey, check your community events. You might be surprised. In fact if you register on the fairtax site, you will find an event close to you where we are signing up people supporting the fairtax.
 dancecard
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 1:28:23 AM
I'll surly look at it Rojo,

I don't know if the present administration has time to address such matters, but it'something that needs addressing for sure.

It's my simple feelings that it's very complexite is deliberate and allows the attorney's an opportunity to excell at what they do best. Turning nothing into something, pleasant wind falls for those that might control which way the wind might blow.

Myself,? - I've little control of the wind. I wouldn't know where to start.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:26:03 AM

You mean the high price of living in a civil society,of course.lol

Compared to places like Somalia, not so much.

Hmmmm, seems to me that terrorism dosen't recognize party affiliation. If it did, then I guess no Democrats died or suffered emotional damage from terrorism. Right?

I don't see a Democrat in this thread calling a government branch domestic terrorists because they don't like the current tax bracket system.

This assumes a lot on your part. Think about it.

No it really doesn't. If you pay your taxes properly, the IRS does not come after you.

The 2008 rate was 250.00 per extra 1000 dollars. Remember the deductables don't change.
That is not counting FICA. That is a chunk of money.

You don't understand tax brackets. You can't say ".25 cents on the dollar" unless you know the actual income, no hypothetical income was provided, so your numbers are meaningless.

Hey, check your community events. You might be surprised. In fact if you register on the fairtax site, you will find an event close to you where we are signing up people supporting the fairtax.

Oh the few million people who support fairtax are very loud. They're also a tiny minority.
 ronjo58
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/19/2009 8:17:17 AM

Compared to places like Somalia, not so much.

Somalia??? You call that living in a civil society?? rothflmao!!!!!!!

I don't see a Democrat in this thread calling a government branch domestic terrorists because they don't like the current tax bracket system.

Me either as of yet anyway. But....

Liberal Democrat Conner Carney authored this support of the fair tax:

The Progressive Democrats' Sales Tax

http://www.runningincircles.com/archive/2005/05/06/the_progressive_democrats_sale

No it really doesn't. If you pay your taxes properly, the IRS does not come after you.

Maybe you should do a little more reading young man. I will give you some material a little later. It might open your eyes if you don't force them closed.

You don't understand tax brackets. You can't say ".25 cents on the dollar" unless you know the actual income, no hypothetical income was provided, so your numbers are meaningless.

Do you really think I just post without doing the research?

Your tax bracket can be used to estimate the amount of additional tax you'll pay if your income increases — or the amount you'll save if you can claim a deduction. If you're in the 25% tax bracket you can expect to pay about $250 additional tax if you have $1,000 additional taxable income. In the 15% tax bracket, a $200 deduction will save you about $30. Knowing your tax bracket can help you make better tax planning decisions.
http://www.fairmark.com/begin/bracket.htm

Oh the few million people who support fairtax are very loud. They're also a tiny minority.

There is a very good reason they are loud.
Over 2 million and growing fast.
 dancecard
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 12:56:27 PM
trust me Charles,

The infernal revenue is not our friend.

just a big massive government machine that perfunctury's are chosen for their acticulated nature and antipithy to administer volumes of laws they wish to pick and choice from.

I had a CPA just bury me one year, it took 3 years to dig out. In that period of time I lost both family and house. Happening right as the economy went into a tail spin for some 9 months, as Bush 41 launched Desert Fart.

I learned something!

Mr. Winkler, "we are not a bank, being their final answer."

Dance
 ronjo58
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/19/2009 7:03:05 PM

The infernal revenue is not our friend

You got that right dance.
Look what happens after people lose their homes to foreclosure:
http://consumerist.com/consumer/fun-with-tax-law/after-foreclosure-here-comes-the-irs-291251.php
There are many horror stories about the IRS going after innocent civilians.
Almost any consumption tax plan is better than the strong arm tactics of the IRS.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/19/2009 8:58:56 PM

Somalia??? You call that living in a civil society?? rothflmao!!!!!!!

No Ronjo, Somalia is a place where the price is low, the society isn't civil (It's the highest on the failed state index). If you think taxes are so expensive, how about you live there for awhile tax free and then come back and complain about how expensive it is to live in a civil society.

Or instead you could pretend you didn't understand exactly what I meant in order to try and make some cheap irrelevant personal point?

Your tax bracket can be used to estimate the amount of additional tax you'll pay if your income increases — or the amount you'll save if you can claim a deduction. If you're in the 25% tax bracket you can expect to pay about $250 additional tax if you have $1,000 additional taxable income. In the 15% tax bracket, a $200 deduction will save you about $30. Knowing your tax bracket can help you make better tax planning decisions.
http://www.fairmark.com/begin/bracket.htm

I think you don't understand your research. If you move from the 15% to the 25% tax bracket, (the biggest jump of the entire tax system) you'll pay 15 % on every dollar you make bellow the threshold, and 25% on every dollar above, in other words you're paying 10 cents more on the dollar but only for the dollars above the threshhold there is no way to make less money by increasing your income due to taxes.

[quoteMaybe you should do a little more reading young man. I will give you some material a little later. It might open your eyes if you don't force them closed.

Maybe a better understanding of basic tax principles would help you out.
 ronjo58
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/20/2009 9:15:04 PM

No Ronjo, Somalia is a place where the price is low, the society isn't civil (It's the highest on the failed state index). If you think taxes are so expensive, how about you live there for awhile tax free and then come back and complain about how expensive it is to live in a civil society.

Somalia is a place where it is almost impossible to buy anything. I would never live in Somalia, not because of taxes though. But it would be great to live tax free in America.
Unless your name is Charles of course. lol.

I think you don't understand your research. If you move from the 15% to the 25% tax bracket, (the biggest jump of the entire tax system) you'll pay 15 % on every dollar you make bellow the threshold, and 25% on every dollar above, in other words you're paying 10 cents more on the dollar but only for the dollars above the threshhold there is no way to make less money by increasing your income due to taxes.

I tell you what. Go out and get an extra job and double your income ,then, when you file your taxes for the year you worked two jobs, You will see my point. Experience is great teacher.

Maybe a better understanding of basic tax principles would help you out.

DITTO!!!
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2009 4:27:09 PM
Lots of speculation here about hypothetical multi billionaires and their hypothetical tax burden under a FairTax law.
I'm not exactly poor but nowhere near wealthy in the monetary sense, but I became convinced that FairTax would be advantageous for me, once I applied the numbers to my own situation:
The home I live in was built in 1984, so I bought used: ZERO tax.
My "other" home was built in the 1970s and bought used, so again, no tax.
Tax on an equivalent $100,000 new home= $23,000.
I buy used cars. Right now I have 3. ZERO tax.
Tax on equivalent new vehicles @$25000 each = $17,250.
My son and I spend about $300/month on groceries, that's $3600/year.
Add another $5880 for all our other expenses (yeah, I'm a tightwad).

Total up all our annual expenses and we're still well under the expenditure level where the tax exceeds the "prebate" amount.

This works for me because I don't buy new homes and I don't buy new cars. I actually prefer buying vintage used appliances and antique furniture. I may buy a new computer (on sale) this year.

If I add in things like clothing, gas, car insurance, etc. it does add up, but I'd be nowhere near paying out as much in FairTax as I would under income taxes. Basically, under FairTax, if you live frugally, you pay minimum or no tax, if you spend lavishly you pay through the nose.

Another point most seem to have have missed is that, while the FairTax is added to the price of new goods or services, those goods or services would be initially cheaper because the manufacturers, providers and sellers aren't including payroll taxes in the price- and this applies at every step of the supply chain.

Some aspects of the FairTax are problematic, and there would be a short, uncomfortable period of adjustment, but how we comment on a dating site forum isn't going to amount to a butterfly's f@rt when it comes to passing this. What will matter is the opposition from tax preparers, the financial tax shelter industry, and the entire DC lobbying crowd, etc.

When I think of those who will stand to oppose this, I can't help but support it.
 ronjo58
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/8/2009 8:43:54 PM

When I think of those who will stand to oppose this, I can't help but support it.

I won't disagree and I am positive, if everyone would apply this to their own situation, They would support the fairtax.
 lateef7842
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 12:49:55 PM
My question about this plan is how would this affect essential services. Education, law enforcement, health care for the poor and disabled, infrastructure, etc ...?

If it benefits me, but harms the greater society in the long run, then it's not something my values will allow me to get behind.

Does anyone know how this plan would effect things of this nature?

Lateef
 Super Ryan
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/13/2009 1:55:12 PM

My question about this plan is how would this affect essential services. Education, law enforcement, health care for the poor and disabled, infrastructure, etc ...?

The fair-tax plan is only about government revenue and not spending. So thoeretically, government spending should remain the same.
The fair-tax people claim it is revenue neutral, but they later claim an increase in government spending. Guess what you can't have it both ways.

In my opinion the old boys club promoting the fair-tax plan, are the same people who want deregulation of the finance industry and healthcare, and would like to see all social programs taken out of government spending.

Unless you are wealthy, the fair-tax plan will hurt you.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/14/2009 1:53:09 AM
Have always liked the idea of a consumption tax, or flat tax. It's pretty fair since anyone who buys anything, they pay the same percentage of tax no matter the item. Not sure what happens if people then buy fewer things. I remember within the past twenty years when they wanted to increase the luxury tax and the makers of yachts almost went out of business because even the wealthy didn't want to pay the extra cost.

But if everyone paid a flat 10% tax I think people might feel that this was fair and not the class warfare we have now (IMO). Not sure how the millions of homeowners who tax homeowner deductions would feel about that being discontinued. Not sure how all the businesses who get what I call corporate welfare/subsidies would feel if these were discontinued.

There are so many things I do not think the federal government should be involved in. Heck I cannot think of one thing they do very well. So much waste.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 6:54:21 AM

There are so many things I do not think the federal government should be involved in. Heck I cannot think of one thing they do very well. So much waste.

Well, they waste money very well!
 ronjo58
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/16/2009 7:09:28 PM

Rep. Steve King Brings the FairTax to the Floor of Congress!
Iowa Congressman Steve King is going to host a "Special Order" on the floor of the House of Representatives Tuesday night, March 17th. For one full hour Members of Congress will discuss the FairTax and how our legislation can save the US economy! We will provide details, including an estimated start time, so you can tune-in to watch their floor speeches on C-SPAN.

I think this will be a great thing to watch tomorrow night the 17th. You can bet I will be watching it.

If it benefits me, but harms the greater society in the long run, then it's not something my values will allow me to get behind.

The fair tax will be able to support all the services out there that are beneficial to all Americans, including the salvation of health care and Social Security.
It really surprises me that there are people out there that support health care and social security who are blindly commenting negatively about the very thing that could save them. The Fair Tax!!
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/16/2009 8:07:43 PM

Well, they waste money very well!

As compared to what? The unregulated private sector? Guess you haven't been watching the news lately.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 8:51:23 PM
Never said they didn't. But that doesn't mean that government is any better, and the poster above me didn't ask what the private sector could do well, which may mean things like employ people who create things, employ people who perform services that other people need, create businesses, etc, etc.....the poster above me said that she didn't think government did much of anything well and I gave her an example, that's all. How many businesses to do know that are still in business with a three trillion dollar deficit? One. The government. (And it's not a party call here, both parties seem to do it equally well since the 80's. ) Maybe I should've added the government almost single handedly keeps the paper industry afloat, especially if you include schools as a government entity.
 ronjo58
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/17/2009 6:32:03 AM
As promised, here is the appox. start time for the fair tax speechs:

(Watch live Tuesday night via your local cable provider or at http://www.cspan.org. Scheduled start is 6:00 p.m. EST, but may be delayed due to normal House business).
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Fair Tax Plan-Good or Bad??