Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > President Obama's "State of the Union"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 51
view profile
History
President Obama's State of the UnionPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

In that same vain of thought ~ Obama is attempting to get all parties singing off of the same sheet of music. ~ and it appears the right side of the isle has "Zero"interest in it.

Well, it's easy to see why. Obama doesn't want to change any of the notes. Why is is so incredulous that it isn't happening? When someone proposes to "work across the aisle" it doesn't mean "my way or the highway". There is no give and take on any of Obama's proposals. He lays them out, the other side looks and says I can't agree with this and this and this, and Obama pulls it back saying the other side refuses to cooperate. It's same old same old with new improved packaging. Open it up and it's the same crap.
 dancecard
Msg: 52
view profile
History
President Obama's State of the Union
Posted: 3/21/2009 11:56:20 AM
No! it's not the same old song. ~ and the packaging is very old !

It's "We the People" packaging

and it's not note changes offered by the GOP ~ they want to keep the same old lyrics

The GOP wants a POLKA " I got my money and screw you now~ do da, do da, ~ I got mine and screw you now ~ going to do da all day" "Going to screw all night, going to screw all day, bet my money on a bail out bill, going to screw all day" I create a mess and help you fail, going to do da all day "

that's not the music the American people want to hear!

But, we seem to be held hostage by situations before the DNC took over, how clever ~ so some variations of this song continues today.

Dance
 r90sboxer
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 5:23:50 PM

Dictionary: hy·per·bo·le

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

And you found one where?????
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 9:30:53 PM

Nobody in D.C. knows the music America wants to hear. If you think Obama is your savior I feel really sorry for you. We all might be singing your little "screw you screw me" ditty if we don't start paying attention to who is doin' the screwin'.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 9:43:19 PM

So I guess when Obama admin effectively authorized bonus arrangements at companies receiving taxpayer bailouts, must have been exactly what the American people wanted to hear then.....

kabiosile
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 11:28:10 PM

So I guess when Obama admin effectively authorized bonus arrangements at companies receiving taxpayer bailouts, must have been exactly what the American people wanted to hear then.....

They tell them what they want to hear and in some cases give little things to pacify us. The democrats are just as up the corporate ass of america as the GOP they just put on a friendlier face to people in the cities, where the GOP puts their masks for the rural folk. In the end they are both liars. I think Obama as an individual actually has good intentions he is just up against forces that will not be so easy to cross.

We shall see if he sticks to his word or he caves in to corporate interest. So far in some ways he is sticking to his word and in others he is caving into corporate interest. Time will tell on the whole story though..
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 12:34:38 AM
And guess who is calling the Obama admin out? Let the in-fighting begin!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aT_tMXRy2vDs&refer=us
 dancecard
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 1:38:38 AM
where do you get this savior $hit ? ~ I hear RNC supporters say this often, ~

Obama's title is Mr. President, or commander and chief ~ like every other President that came before him. ~ Not one has ever been referred to as Savior, from the offset of our first.

We do have George Washington being referred to as the Father of the Nation, ~ Regan , The "Gipper" ~ but there has never been a Savior ~ Just"President" will do nicely and you won't have to be continually incorrect and we'll all know who you are speaking of.

Is that too unreasonable?

The American people wanted a President and we now have one, the only thing he's done to you is win a Presidential election by an overwhelming majority ~ so get over it! Like we got over Bush winning not once but twice! The first time decided by one Supreme Court Judge no less and that was hard to get over I assure you. ~ We sucked it up and supported our President regardless of the folly ~ Is there some reason you can't be grown about your party's failure to win a General Election?

The GOP is coming apart yet in a unique position , cutting their screw up down 20 fold by doing little and putting them self's in a position to criticize anything that's being decided on or done. ~ Snipper shots and bush whacking their way through, looking for the next media cycle., looking for a hanging chad, In the long run this might be very effective, but to many of us it's coming off as sour grapes. They are counting on the American people to have short memories. ~ Sadly many do. It might work! These are the same people that voted for Bush.

A sick way to conduct business. ~ But if that the way the RNC wants it ~ so be it, I hope it to be the end of the present GOP and they rebuild a new.

Dance

TradurGurl
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/22/2009 6:52:36 AM

DanceCard -

Actually, it is supposed to be "the Messiah". But it didn't come from the RNC.

Here are a few links on the origin of that notion. Notice I saved avoided any RNC or RightWing blogs -- just for you!

http://obamamessiah.blogspot.com/

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=77539

http://www.messiahobama.org/
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 6:53:00 AM

Go back over your posts and read the way you refer to Obama. Anyone with any common sense would say you paint him to be the greatest thing to come along since the personal computer. If I am wrong, sorry, but your words tell a different story.
 dancecard
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 10:52:15 AM

Go back over your posts and read the way you refer to Obama. Anyone with any common sense would say you paint him to be the greatest thing to come along since the personal computer. If I am wrong, sorry, but your words tell a different story.

My words defend a sitting President that been in office for less then 90 days that been under constant attack from the off set ~ with veiled racial overtones ~ distortion of facts , in both words and deeds. Obama, mother, pastor and very citizenship have been attacked. Things he has no control of or over. There were early attempt to attack both wife and children ~ the RNC finding it in poor tasted, nipped it in the bud early, but nothing else seem to be too low or out of bounds.

"My words" tell you ~ I grow short with the pettiness of it! ~ and above and beyond it all, ~ your name calling is directed at ME ! ~ as being "My Savior " ~ so you are directing you insulting slur at me personally ~ and I want you to know ~ I have no appreciation of it or humor for it.

I getting very narrow minded with this ~ as do many others.

and Thank you TraderGurl, those links were helpful and helped me understanding the original source and why I must confront it now. ~ But this has little to do with "me" or Obama does it? ~ This body of work was not commissioned , solicited or encouraged by me .

I had nothing to do with this material, It was written and drawn by a zealot with too much time on their hands. ~ The Zeal is clearly way over the top! ~

There is no perfection in the world, ~ and I feel no need to apologize for it anymore then I'd expect you or anyone else to apologize for RNC members that get caught hanging out in the Airports Men's room.

If you wish to call people names or infer condescending position or title.

you leave me out of it! Okay?

If you fail to recognize my "common sense" or thrust of contention with you~ that's more of your problem them mine but I'll feel obliged to bring it to your attention ~ you attack me with your name calling and I'm calling you out on it.

Dance
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 11:23:14 AM

If you wish to call people names or infer condescending position or title.

you leave me out of it! Okay?

If you fail to recognize my "common sense"

Namecalling was never the intention and I said anyone with common sense would make the same call on reading your posts. I never questioned your common sense. I just wanted to make that clear. There was no personal attack. If you got that from my post you took it wrong. There was nothing to attack, it was a "call it as I see it" post and if I called it wrong, then accept my apologies.
 dancecard
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 1:30:41 PM
I thank you Sir, for myself and many other's as well. it accepted with the spirit offered~ It's my sincere hope that "all" party's might appreciate this labeling form of labeling as damaging.

Imus, misspoke and it cost him dearly ~ I don't think he did it on purpose, he wasn't trying to be mean, yet , ~ we all know, you don't call other people children "Nappy haired Hoe's " ~ He was was sucked into it and repeated only what he'd heard somewhere.

I can apologize for these "saviour statements all day long" ~ but they came from mindless unbridled zeal, unworthy of repeating.

Dance
 Murco
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/22/2009 2:30:45 PM
My words defend a sitting President that been in office for less then 90 days that been under constant attack from the off set ~ with veiled racial overtones ~ distortion of facts , in both words and deeds. Obama, mother, pastor and very citizenship have been attacked. Things he has no control of or over.

Veiled racial overtones? Did I miss something? He has been attacked as a Marxist, which is proving to be accurate. He has been called unqualified and unaccomplished, proven to be accurate. He's been called arrogant and snobby, apparently true and yet he knows nothing of diplomacy. Heck, he's just like a newly graduated college student, knows nothing but proud to tell you how brilliant he is!
If questions were raised about his mother, birth, and citizenship it may have been because their was so much secrecy about his past. He has definitely been surrounded by some pretty radical people all his life and if I were in a church that preached hatred like what was espoused by Reverend Wright, I would leave and never return.

The American people wanted a President and we now have one, the only thing he's done to you is win a Presidential election by an overwhelming majority

52 to 48 is hardly an overwhelming majority. If you wish to see one of those, look back to 1980 or 1984...
What bothers me is that those who are so enamored with him seem to be those with the least reverence for what made this country so incredible, freedom. If you follow history you'd know that an oppressive, large governement is what drove people to come here and establish a country free of that. A country who's people are forced to take care of those who make stupid choices, forced to accept lower standards, fed crap like Access Hollywood on CNN, and are told they are responsible for all of the worlds ills is no longer free. Do you want to see the results of lowering standards? Go to a PTA meeting and tell the parents half of their children are below average.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 3:02:46 PM

My words defend a sitting President that been in office for less then 90 days that been under constant attack from the off set

So you do this with all prez or just the ones that are in your party.........
 TradurGurl
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/22/2009 3:54:12 PM
You make some good points, STEEL CITY.

I don't know how we got off on the subject of California.

But to respond to your on-topic post #34, MONTREAL GUY

Re: Affects of Obama's speech on US Markests, and overall aproval ratings.

Yes, I agree with your first article -- Obama has high overall ratings at the moment. Of course he does. Because only about 34% of all Americans pay ANY INCOME tax. NOTE:; the article says 64% approval --- almost exactly the same % as those who pay NO taxes.

MANY of these folks are overjoyed with Obama at present, because they think that our President is going to take income and property away from the "rich" people -- that they despise and envy -- in order to give them something for nothing. So, of course about 2/3 (66% -- or about 64%) think he "is doing a great job on the economy".

And yes, I agree with YOU that he hasn't done anything yet.

I'm glad that 85% hope Obama will succeed -- nobody wants a depression or a failed government..

RE: your second artice. I don't know what day this Article was published, but the Speech the OP refers to took place Feb 24th --- after market closing.

Here is what happened to US stocks on the 25tth when it re-opened:

http://finance.aol.com/related/dow-jones-industrial-average/$indu/DJI?topic=188771542&tab=5

Here's what the market was doing on March 2, 2009 ==

http://usatoday.com/money/markets/2009-03-02-stocks-monday_N.htm?imw=Y

And, don't forget -- market has fallen from 14,000 -- So even with 5 days in March of "huge rallies" as market recovered form Mar 2's 12-year low -- we are still 1/2 down to the botttom (halfway to 0) Just as your article says.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/19/dow-bernanke-ibm-markets-equity-cx_ra_0719markets25.html

Most "experts" say that it declines when it appears he is leaning left, and trends up, when he is heading right or centrist.

Some even go so far as to say that it goes up as Obama's popularity goes down:

And most of these links/articles speak of day/day, month/month trends:

Here's my take on overall market performance, that I posted earlier:
I don't know how we got off on the subject of California.

But to respond to your on-topic post #34, MONTREAL GUY

Re: Affects of Obama's speech on US Markests, and overall aproval ratings.

Yes, I agree with your first article -- Obama has high overall ratings at the moment. Of course he does. Because only about 34% of all Americans pay ANY INCOME tax. NOTE:; the article says 64% approval --- almost exactly the same % as those who pay NO taxes.

MQNY of these folks are overjoyed with Obama at present, because they think that our President is going to take income and property away from the "rich" people -- that they despise and envy -- in order to give them something for nothing. So, of course about 2/3 66% -- about 64%) think he "is doing a great job on the economy".

And yes, I agree with YOU that he hasn't done anything yet.

OF course, 85% hope Obama will succeed -- nobody wants a depression or a failed government..

RE: your second artile. I don't know what day this Article was published, but the Speech the OP refers to took place Feb 24th --- after market closing.

Here is what happened to US stocks on the 25tth when it re-opened:

http://finance.aol.com/related/dow-jones-industrial-average/$indu/DJI?topic=188771542&tab=5

Here's what the market was doing on March 2, 2009 ==

http://usatoday.com/money/markets/2009-03-02-stocks-monday_N.htm?imw=Y

And, don't forget -- market has fallen from 14,000 -- So even with 5 days in March of "huge rallies" as market recovered form Mar 2's 12-year low -- we are still 1/2 down to the botttom (halfway to 0) Just as your article says.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/19/dow-bernanke-ibm-markets-equity-cx_ra_0719markets25.html

Most "experts" say that it declines when it appears he is leaning left, and trends up, when he is heading right or centrist.

Some even go so far as to say that it goes up as Obama's popularity goes down:

And most of these links/articles speak of day/day, month/month trends:

Here's my take on overall market performance, that I posted earlier:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/11867775datingPostpage4.aspx

(see my message 90)

I watch the market every morning. When Obama, or certain Congressmen speak of things that disturb Capitalists, the market drops, When he/they stop(s) talking it trends back up. But we are in the part of the season where the market trends up anyway.

When a market is on a seasonal uptic, it takes hits every so often from news,etc, then bounces back soon after. When it fianlly gets enough hits -- it corrects itself downard.

(see my message 90)

I watch the market every morning. When Obama, or certain Congressmen speak of things that disturb Capitalists, the market drops, When he/they stop(s) talking it trends back up. But we are in the part of the season where the market trends up anyway.

When a market is on a seasonal uptic, it takes hits every so often from news,etc, then bounces back soon after. When it fianlly gets enough hits -- it corrects itself downard.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 6:09:34 PM
Again, tough times, but with some progress being made :

Wholesale prices edge up; housing starts surge
March 17, 2009

Washington (AP) — Housing construction posted a surprisingly large increase in February, bolstered by strength in all parts of the country except the West.

The Commerce Department reported Tuesday that construction of new homes and apartments jumped 22.2 percent in February compared with January, pushing total activity to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 583,000 units.

Meanwhile, the Labor Department reported that wholesale prices edged up a slight 0.1 percent in February as a big drop in food costs offset a second monthly increase in energy prices.

After the news, Wall Street posted gains, with the Dow Jones industrial average gaining slightly and the Nasdaq composite index rising more than 1 percent. The better-than-expected reports on housing and inflation were offset by news of a dividend cut at Alcoa Inc. and layoffs at Nokia Corp.

While the surge in housing construction was far better than the continued decline economists had expected, the rebound is likely to be viewed as a temporary gain given all the problems the housing industry still faces.

Even with the big increase, construction activity remains 47.3 percent below where it was a year ago. The strength in February was led by a big increase in apartment construction, which can be highly volatile from month to month.

All areas of the country reported an increase in February, except the West, which has been hardest hit by the current housing slump.

The 0.1 percent increase in wholesale inflation was much lower than the 0.8 percent surge in January and smaller than the 0.4 percent increase economists had expected. Compared with a year ago, wholesale prices are actually down 1.3 percent.

Core inflation, which excludes energy and food, edged up 0.2 percent in February, only slightly higher than the 0.1 percent gain economists had expected. Core prices had risen 0.4 percent in January.

http://tinyurl.com/csh3ax

The S&P 500 ? It's up 12 % in the last two weeks...

There will no doubt be peaks and valleys, but it seems that slow progress is being made.

Gee, even that Republican Terminator agrees that the stimulus package is a good idea !

February 23, 2009
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Sunday defended his decision to raise taxes as a necessary step to stem California's staggering economic crisis.

During appearances on morning news shows in Washington, D.C., Schwarzenegger said he would gladly accept money from the federal stimulus package approved by Congress last week even though some fellow Republican governors had balked at the program. And he predicted that although California's economy would begin rebounding next year, it would take "years from now to get back to where we were."

"It's very simple. Listen to the people," Schwarzenegger said on ABC's "This Week With George Stephanopoulos."

The governor called the federal stimulus plan a "terrific package" and said Republican leaders throughout the nation needed to shelve party ideologies in the face of the ongoing economic crisis. He cited, for example, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, who has said he may refuse federal stimulus money for his state.

"Gov. Sanford says that he does not want to take the money . . . and I want to say to him: I'll take it. I'm more than happy to take his money or any other governor in this country that doesn't want to take this money," Schwarzenegger said on Stephanopoulos' program.

http://tinyurl.com/cy6uwl

Meanwhile, while those other Republican governors rail from their bully pulpits against it, they will probably take at least some of the money for their state budgets. In some cases their legislatures can override their "decision" , so it's the best of both worlds for them. Gain political points, but take the money anyway. If they don't take it, they risk wholesale economic disaster, and that's not a good idea if they want to go anywhere in politics.

Jon Stewart summed up that one pretty well, but I won't repeat his line here. Ride 'em cowboy !

As to the Dow's high, one must also realize that bull markets do not last forever, and this one went on for an extended period. What rises must inevitably fall, sooner or later. This type of cycle is something that's inevitable, and one simply has to look at the history of Wall Street to see it in action.

As to Obama's popularity, one also has to look at the fact that his press conferences are being run on all the main networks live, and that's a rather big change from the Bush years....when he held them, that is.
 TradurGurl
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/22/2009 7:17:14 PM
MONTREAL GUY:

Looks like we agree on a few things.

1. The markets, and GAO stats ARE inching up of for now. STILL 'way below the norm, -- but as I said, seasonal increases help.

2. Yes, the RINO, Schwarznegger does think the stimulus pkg is a good idea. What governor wouldn't if his state had recently declared Bankruptcy (from high cost of state Legislator's Ligeral agenda/enormous welfare state). While the Hollywood Stars, who pushed this agenda lived large in their mansions (no offers of bail-outs from them!) Poor Arnold had to go beggging on his hands and knees for part of the original Tarp funds. In fact, it was he who started the whole bit about states getting funds. He asked first -- before being offered. Remember?

2. "that bull markets do not last forever,". Yes, you did read my links, did't you? The markets will show some growth -- as long as investors are willing to trade in them.

3. "the fact that his press conferences are being run on all the main networks live, and that's a rather big change from the Bush years..." yeah, that's true -- the liberal media made Obama their darling. But they tore into Bush at all turn, and gave his ideas poor, inaccurate, or no covage. The media even picked our last "President" -- and the sheeple followed like, well,...... Sheep.
 dancecard
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 9:49:13 PM

52 to 48 is hardly an overwhelming majority. If you wish to see one of those, look back to 1980 or 1984...
What bothers me is that those who are so enamored with him seem to be those with the least reverence for what made this country so incredible, freedom. If you follow history you'd know that an oppressive, large governement is what drove people to come here and establish a country free of that. A country who's people are forced to take care of those who make stupid choices, forced to accept lower standards, fed crap like Access Hollywood on CNN, and are told they are responsible for all of the worlds ills is no longer free. Do you want to see the results of lowering standards? Go to a PTA meeting and tell the parents half of their children are below average.

with all respects, ~ you are entitled to your bias, as am I.
The GOP seems to carry solid 28% of the core vote, "regardless of the candidate" 4 to5 point is very significant in a Presidential Election ~ It overwhelmed the GOP did it not?

It not a matter of being enamored with Obama and wish you might dispense with the notion, but more the least of two evils. Mc Cain just didn't have the stuff! He didn't get on message until the last 10 day of a long campaign. It was only then that he conducted himself well. In general , he was found lacking, the hero deal didn't work well, captured beaten and tortured does not a hero make, but one " valiant" as the accomodation afforded him. If this was so, we'd be making them down in Guantanamo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marx·ism audio (märkszm) KEY

NOUN:

The political and economic philosophy of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels in which the concept of class struggle plays a central role in understanding society's allegedly inevitable development from bourgeois oppression under capitalism to a socialist and ultimately classless society.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can see where you might get such an opinion, as the administration , wrestle back power from the priviliged and entitled, since President Regan neutered oversight and any sense of reasonable regulation. After 27 years if this unlevel playing field, a majority of Americans finding themself at some disadvantage. I'll spare you chapter & verse.

But if you might take the time to read the complete definition ,"to a socialist and ultimately classless society" ~ This is not a part of the plan, unless you see a classless society in the distant future ofcourse. As it presently stands, we can't seem to recover some 160 million dollars from some elitist at AIG for they are working inside the rules and framework of law. So I really don't think a classless society is in the near future, do you?

~ I understand you might feel~ being attacked, and rightfully so, ~ perhaps you are being asked to contribute more then you wish and you feel threatened. I've felt threatened for many years now ~ you'll get use to it. May I welcome you here?

Your assertion that Obama might be a Marxist, is not completely unfounded, for he, like myself see great disparity across the board and attempt to correct the conditions that permitted it to occur. ~ But you are well over the top with a classless society notion.
This is just more GOP fear mongering.

And I agree, freedom is what makes America great, ~ what you fail to see is freedom is now for sale to the highest bidder and not for everyone. Freedom is cash! and the ability to earn it! and living inside a society that permits many to prosper. True there will always be the poor and foolish, ~ but we have a growing class of working poor in this country, if it hasn't touched you yet, consider yourself fortunate ( and smart if us wish)

~ We have been working with an inclusive, good old boy, power and money system for too long. This is the Change that's offered, I expected it will be a hard fought battle yet the war will continue forever.

We just need to clean house and purge a few bad apples and entrenched power structures, we will come out the other side better and stronger then ever before. These people fight and have much to fight with. They make much noise as their options and movements restricted, perceived as being entitle and above rules of laws and the system.
It is presently too self serving.

That you know of"no veiled" racial attacks, offers me much insights into the nature of you bias, perhaps now you know mine.

and Steel, if I call someone a name , it should be I that's responsible, no ones needs to put words in my mouth. Bush was found lacking by myself early, before his governorship, I respected the office but never the man. That said, I never called him anything that he didn't earn in both parcel and sum. ~ for someone to suggest I spoke of Obama as Massiah, is a bit over the top, don't you agree? ~ I help myself! always have, and that's the one thing that can't be taken away for me. You can take my money, my freedom, my life, but to attempt to take my pride and self-reliance, it not going to happen.

and tradergurl
. >>>But they tore into Bush at all turn, and gave his ideas poor, inaccurate, or no covage. The media even picked our last "President" -- and the sheeple followed like, well,.

True! ~ but in his 1st and half of his second term, BUsh was courted and could do no wrong ~ if you will remember ~ it's that selective memory thing again, darn it!
Dance
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 10:58:03 PM
Dance it's the fact that I find it interesting that people that are inclined to one party will say "you haven't gave him a chance yet” to the opposition, but yet if it was the other parties leader that got elected in office instead, they would jump all over him negatively the first day he is in power. Sounds like a double-standard, hypocrisy if you ask me.
 TradurGurl
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/23/2009 12:28:01 AM
But they tore into Bush at all turn, and gave his ideas poor, inaccurate, or no covage. The media even picked our last "President" -- and the sheeple followed like, well,.sheep

True!

So, I gather you do acknowlege that Obama was given favoritism by the media == and that they did get him elected. Right you are!

but in his 1st and half of his second term, BUsh was courted and could do no wrong ~ if you will remember ~ it's that selective memory thing again, darn it!

Wrong! Bush started getting beaten to a pulp VERY soon after 9/11 -- when the media started hinting that he knew that it was going to happen. The 9/11 Commission had to be formed. (But it was hijacked by Sandy Berger). The media hasn't given him one kind word since.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2009 8:06:19 AM
If that was the case, and the media could make that much difference, then the Bush/Kerry race would have been much closer.

Bush won by 2.5 percent of the popular vote (even Nader's votes could not have made that one up), and 286 to 251 in the electoral college. If your concept of the media dictates they decide who is elected, that would seem to fly in the face of that conclusion.

As for Obama getting elected, that was due to a Republican party pairing (and campaign) that was one of the worst I've ever seen in 41 years of watching US presidential elections. They primarily appealed to the base, followed Obama's lead ( not a good idea to base your entire campaign on talking about your opponent, ask John Kerry about that one), and (technologically) ran the best campaign you could ask for - if it was 1957.

They made Bob Dole's campaign against Clinton look good.

Simply passing Obama's victory off as some media ordained event belies how badly the McCain campaign was run.

As for the eventual outcome of all this, that will depend to a large part on how the American people react to what's occurring. If they have confidence in the direction, albeit slow, that things are moving, it will work. If people panic, it won't. In the end, that's what will decide the future.

Smart traders now that now is the perfect time to invest, if one has the funds, in the right stocks. Buy low, sell high, is the mantra of getting rich in the market. There's untold opportunity there for the smart investor, with the proper resources.
 TradurGurl
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/23/2009 8:19:57 AM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on most points, Montreal Guy.

As for the market -- buy low,sell high is right. But not too good an idea for those who buy in for the long tern just yet. We don't know where this is going.

As you and I both said -- it depends a lot on consumer confidence, and reactions to news over time.
 dancecard
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2009 8:51:22 AM
Steel , what you describe is indeed hyprocricy. ~ It is alive and well in both partying ~ and supporters are quick take up the banner. ~ It's more of a rock fight really, once it get started, who throw the first rock get lost and we find people complaining about the rock fight as they themself's have their pockets load with rocks.

And "No" Tradegurl, I don't remember is as you do, not at all , after 9-11 The American people including the media rallied around the President, ~ The feuding stopped at the water edge if you will attempt to remember. ~ The Administration was given a Carta Blanca to do are it seen fit and was opposed by only a brave few. Any descending voice was view as unpatriotic and unchristian. ~ I know this to be so ~ for I was among the few and suffered the pressure from my piers , customers, and drinking buddies. ~ I was involved more then one barroom "heated debate" and threaten with "I'm going to go get my gun"

There was no left leaning TV or radio programing at the time. Fox dominated with Rush on Radio ~ It was all flag lapel pins and little plastic flag waving. ~ The American people were eating it up! Yummie! ~ Being in the majority ~ I can see how anyone overlooking this frenzy America was in. ~ Instead of Bush asking someone , why is this plane sticking out of my Pentagon and a few heads rolling. ~ The man of smaller , better government, decided we needed more government so "Home Land Security" was born. ~ More government that failed to not work well. ~ as Katrina bore down on the southern coast line and it was completely ignored by the Fed's, each branch thinking, it's not my job. ~ Let's finish our vacation! I'll checking to it when I get back to the office , if I can remember it.

It was only in the aftermath of Katrina, that 43's administration started getting bad press and it grew from there. I felt sorry for the guy towards the end, but then I think of the many errors and many, 4000 plus dead on a "War to No Where" ~ forgive me, but 43 didn't leave none to soon. ~ but on the other hand, if I had greater concerns for the DNC then America's state of affairs, ~ I'd prefer 43 to still be in office, having made his bed, now let him lay in it. Placing the DNC in the position , to standby on the sideline and take cheap shots as the GOP seems to enjoy this day.

There is no perfect solution , mistakes will be made, it clear we can not depend on "good will" or corporation by everyone. ~ We as a nation are attempting to make a course correction to the left, ~ that in no way meaning we are coming hard a port ~ it's a simple matter of steering. ~ We can't stay either hard a port or hard starboard and expect to do anything but go around in circles.

This Marxist notion is absurd and I really don't think anyone believes it ~ However, it is a great throwing rock that fly's true with some precision and intended effect. You can buy in to the fear if you wish, I'm not.

It does concerns me some and I'll be watching, ~ you either have faith in the Skipper or you don't. It's never been a simple straight line to any destination.

For now, I do until which time I don't ~ it's a welcome change from the shallow waters we've been sailing. Our enemies are many, ~ let's not dally around , the whole world is watching.

Dance
 Murco
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/23/2009 12:55:40 PM
I absolutlely agree with this statement...

<div class="quote">Mc Cain just didn't have the stuff!
His campaign was waaay out of it's league and was outmanuvered at ever turn. Obama's campaign will go down in history for it's organization and effectiveness.

<div class="quote">Your assertion that Obama might be a Marxist, is not completely unfounded, for he, like myself see great disparity across the board and attempt to correct the conditions that permitted it to occur.
I see a great disparity as well when the top 25% of taxpayers are paying 80% of the taxes collected by the government, and the bottom 40% pay nothing... I see a huge disparity made worse when those who receive the vast majority of those tax dollars aren't even appreciative of the gift bestowed on them. The top tax payers should be reveared for shouldering the burden of our government largess. Instead they are attacked and made into villans, singled out as the problem, and targeted by opprotunistic politicians. I agree, a huge disparity here! I looked at your profile, doesn't appear that you are hurting. A classic 52 or 53 Chevy hot rod (nice car), a boat (looks kinda large), and I see a horse pen in one pic, your's maybe? It would appear (yes, I'm making assumtions) that you live a lot larger than I but I consider myself blessed to be in a country where I can attain my dreams. I invest in myself and my skills to keep competitive, as we all should. It's the lazy, who expect success just because they breath American oxygen and never attempt to stay competitive, that get left behind. There are always going to be losers in a free society, their is no equality of outcome, only opprotunity.

<div class="quote"> That you know of"no veiled" racial attacks, offers me much insights into the nature of you bias, perhaps now you know mine.
Are you saying that since I am not hypersensitive to race (which is a more damaging form of racism in itself) that I am biased? I beg to differ, my ancestors were out there pickin' cotton with them in the 1800's, and I know of nobody in my family that has any racist leanings. I don't think any of my black friends and coworkers are waiting for you or anyone else to point out who is a racist for them, they are just Americans makign their way through life and have the same struggles as anyone else.

One other point... Bush was no hero to me either and I shocked my late wife when I railed against us going into Iraq. She expected a former US Marine would be for the invasion, but I didn't support it at all. Perhaps history will be far kinder to Bush, much like what happened to Truman.
I am not a republican, I am a libertarian. I think the governments role in our lives ends after our life, liberty, borders, and property are protected. We should have a flat 10% tax for all income, no corporate taxes, outlaw the unions, and term limits to eliminate the good ole boy network and bribery (known as campaign contributions) that has f'ed up our political system.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > President Obama's "State of the Union"