Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > I cant cook. anyone have anything simple to recommend?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lisshe
Msg: 26
I cant cook. anyone have anything simple to recommend?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
There are lots of easy recipes on the web as well. Just type in what you want to cook and there are so many sites and so many recipes, you will easily find one that is simple and easy to make for beginner. I have found some incredible recipes that way. Even some for dishes that my mother used to make and I did not have the recipe for.
Also, get yourself a crockpot, they come with great recipes and you can put the ingredients in before going to work and come home to a great meal. Pulled pork is great that way! Get a nice pork butt, blanch in boiling water for about five minutes with a touch of vinegar and take off the fat back, put it in the crock pot on low with a good bar-b-q sauce and a few hours later, you have a great pulled pork for dinner. Great for summer parties.

Have also used a smoker for venison shoulder/leg if anyone is interested. My friends love it when I smoke venison for my summer parties.

Another great recipe is Frogmore Stew. Very easy to make, boil and go! Easily found on the web as well. Makes a great dish for summer parties.
 hereshecomesagain
Msg: 27
I cant cook. anyone have anything simple to recommend?
Posted: 3/4/2009 12:26:32 AM
Try steaming vegetables til they are almost cooked then put a favorite sauce or marinade or just vinegar oil and a shaker seasoning then broiling them in the oven or even a toaster oven. Cut potatoes and white onion rounds into steak thick slices and broil or bbq this way. You might buy a steamer appliance which I love, but you can also use containers with some kind of vent, or grocery bags.Use a splash of water, cooking wine or broth, then throw it in microwave, fry pan or broiler.

Chili corn dog casserole: corn bread mix, follow directions, using a small caserole dish, then lay hotdogs in the corn bread batter with canned chili spooned over each. Bake with box directions.

Shepard's pie is open to a lot of substitutions. Basically you have a starch base of mashed potatoes- boxed or scratch or maybe a tub ready made, shape into a pie dish and put two layers over it, one of ground beef with brown sauce (also available in ready to eat or mixes) and diced vegetables, traditionally peas and carrots.

So pick a starch, several potato or mashed squash choices, even mashed carrots, or any pasta, toast of various kinds of bread, rice of various kinds, or maybe barley or even a kind of bean or pea or lentil or garbanzos mashed up. Remember to add an oil or butter in the mash to keep it smooth.

Now you got meat to add. Tuna? Chicken? Turkey? Tofu? Sausage? Think form, diced, sliced, chunk, meatball, ground crumbles? Consider the oil in the pan, not too much, not too little. Just as it browns, you wants to use the pan scrapings for flavor in the sauce. Several canned soups make a great cream sauce if you can handle the salt- but look for mixes or learn to do a cornstarch thickener -easy if you thoroughly mix while the liquid is still cold and stir constantly while cooking. Parmesean cheese from the shaker makes an easy thickener for a lot of sauces including spaghetti.

Apply the same options to the vegi layer. Try to keep vegies cut similar size/shape of meat.

hope that helps
 ZenBeth
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/4/2009 1:08:54 AM
I recommend both Semi Homemade and Rachel Ray on the FoodNetwork.com site where they have all their recipes and easy to follow recipes. As for lasagna which is so simple, try buying lasagna noodles at the store and cook according to the package. Then buy a jar of your favorite pasta sauce, a pound of ground beef and some montrey jack cheese. Cook the meat and drain. Shred the cheese. Then mix the meat in with the pasta sauce and set aside. then butter or spray PAM in a casserole dish and layer some of the noodles on the bottom, spread some of the meat sauce mix, then another layer of noodles and some of the shredded cheese, then more sauce, noodles etc. Finally put some of the cheese on top and cover with foil and bake 30 minutes and then remove foil and cook another 10 minutes.

Consider making tuna casserole. Buy wide noodles and cook. Then mix in drained tuna and some sour cream, salt and pepper, and bake or even add some bread crumbs you make or buy, on top and bake until golden brown.

Consider making sloppy joes. All you need is a can of Manwitch or other sloppy joe sauce, some hamburger buns and some ground beef. Cook the grown beef, add the sloppy joe sauce and heat until hot. Layer one a bun and enjoy.

Buy No Bean chilli in a can like Hormel makes and then some french fries in the freezer section. Cook the fries in the oven. Heat the chilli until hot. Take some of the fries and put on a plate and cover with the chilli and grated cheddar cheese and make your own chilli cheese fries.

If you have a deli you like, buy some think sliced roast beef and then buy a can of beef gravy and using your favoite bread make hot roast beef sandwhiches, buy heating the meat in the gravy until hot. Then butter two pieces of bread and place the beef and gravy on one slice, cover with the second piece of bread and enjoy.

Do you own a crock pot?

1 whole Chicken, or cut up chicken, one cut up yellow onion. 2-3 cut up carrots and 2-3 cut up potato, cover with water and add 1 teaspoon salt and pepper or more to taste. Turn crock pot on and cook 4-6 hrs. You can turn the crock pot on in the morning and have dinner ready when you get home.

Same with making stew. Simple place one pound of stew meat, 3-4 carrots, 3-4 potatoes all cut into chunks, a can of stewed tomatoes, seasoning in the crock pot and add enough water to cover everything. Turn crock pot on and cook 5-6 hrs until done.
 lapilot
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2009 1:41:53 AM
Mexicali Dinner

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
1 can tomato sauce (14 oz.)
1 can kernel corn (12 oz.) drained
2 cups corn chips
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup jalapeño peppers (optional), diced

In a large skillet, sauté onion and peppers until onion is translucent, remove and set aside; add beef and sauté until beef is browned. Drain excess fat. Season beef mixture with chili powder, return onions and peppers, then add tomato sauce and corn. Bring to a slow boil, stirring often; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle evenly with corn chips and grated cheese; cover and heat until cheese melts. As an alternative to corn chips, spoon mixture into taco shells and cover with grated cheese.
 simplymagical
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:35:37 AM
zenbeth...is there something you do prior to cooking chicken in your crockpot?...i LOVE my crockpot, but somehow, i can't seem to make chicken that tastes right in it...
 Me Leona
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/4/2009 9:16:50 AM
can anyone recommend some simple recipes that i could try out. nothing with ingredients that ive never heard of, long cooking times, or elaborate recipes please.

Simple roast chicken.

One whole raw chicken, discard anything inside, rinse and put in a roasting pan. Add cut up raw baking potatoes, carrots (don't even have to peel them), maybe some sliced onion or fresh garlic if you like.

Drizzle the chicken and vegetables with olive oil and season (whatever your favorite seasonings are - I use salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, parsley).

Cover and bake until chicken's browned and cooked through (depends on size of chicken - cut a little piece near the leg and breast, should be white and juicy).

Ooops, just noticed the OP isn't even here anymore! lol
 mik1950
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/4/2009 10:48:18 AM
lol leona...maybe he died of starvation
 Shover
Msg: 33
Excellent easy dinner to make for your date
Posted: 3/4/2009 12:29:35 PM
Bro here's a simple meal that a woman will love. Chicken Parmesan. Take thawed chicken and cut off the fat and stuff thats not chicken. ((optional) Plan on one egg per breast half. Figure half a cup of bran flakes crushed to crumbs. roll the chicken in the egg then roll it in the crumbs. Mix oregano, parsley, seasoned salt, copious amounts of parmesan cheese, and a lil pepper. sprinkle this mixture over the chicken. Take the chicken and place it on a pan and bake it at 350 for about 45 minutes. When done cut the largest piece down the thickest part to the center to see if its cooked all the way.) Place the chicken in a casserole dish and fill it with enough spaggeti sauce to cover it then bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remember to check to see if its cooked all the way. While thats cooking boil linguinni noodles. For the last 2-3 minutes in the oven put mozzarella cheese on the chicken. When thats all done put down a bed of noodles sizing dependant on how much she will eat. Then lay the chicken beside the noodles or on top. Ladle sauce over the noodles to her specifications. There ya go. Another good tip is New York Texas Toast. Follow the directions but add cheese to it. Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese to the bread. Makes an excellent meal.
 ryanmeg
Msg: 34
Yeah !
Posted: 3/4/2009 2:54:21 PM
Hi Mike....this is my own recipe for a fast n furious delicious supper dish.
Heat some water up in a pan....with a dash of olive oil.
Bring it to the boil and add some pasta.
In a frying pan....crush some garlic...add shallots (onions are fine too).
Soften them as much as you can...cos the pasta only needs 15 mins to cook.
Add to the garlic and shallots some mushrooms...and smoked bacon.
Then add some chilli if you want some heat...or leave out if not.
When the bacon is browned in the mixture...add some double cream and a generous handful of grated parmesan cheese....once a smooth lookin mixture....drain pasta and add to the creamy sauce.
Its a beautiful meal...very filling and i usually serve with some cheesy garlic bread.
Enjoy....Heidi-Lou aka ryanmeg !
 ZenBeth
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:50:29 PM
Just about any chicken, turkey tastes better if its been in a brine first. So I either soak in a salt water brine, or a nice white wine. Also like marinating chicken pieces in buttermilk over night if I am making fried chicken. Does the same thing as a salt water or wine brine. Tossing in a couple bay leaves whole or fresh ground pepper corns and using kosher salt also helps when cooking.
 best kept secret
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/6/2009 12:23:08 PM
lol leona...maybe he died of starvation

Or burned his house down....

This is still a good thread for easy yummy recipes!

(Me thinks he posted way too many threads and got called on it)
 pinkdanielle
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/7/2009 8:02:14 AM
actually he had to delete his account and create a new one because it had is age as 55 and he's really in his 20s.
 Me Leona
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/7/2009 8:42:30 AM
^^^ Wonder how that got called out. The majority of people on here lie about the age, I'm pretty sure. One guy I dated had 46 on his profile and he was really 51 (I didn't meet him here though, I met him at a POF dance and he told me his real age). His age range on his profile was 35 to 45! Haven't seen him around lately though.

One of the things we liked to do was cook a very simple meal of steak and vegetables. We would grill the steak on the barbecue or cook it on high heat in a skillet on the stove. We would sautee some mushrooms and make corn on the cob to go with it. Or could make a baked potato.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2009 8:48:56 AM
..Well shoot..I don't lie about my age...my bald head, and round belly won't let me..LOL
 e-trig
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/8/2009 10:42:28 AM

This is still a good thread for easy yummy recipes!

I agree!! Please keep em coming because I'm tired of frozen pizza,cereal or granola bars for supper..bah!! lol!!
 best kept secret
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/8/2009 2:17:13 PM
actually he had to delete his account and create a new one because it had is age as 55 and he's really in his 20s.

Well then, come back OP!

On of the easiest and fave meals I can whip up, is soup! (Put LOTS of goodies in it)

Start with a chicken or beef broth, water and seasonings. Then just add what ever veggie or left-over you have along with chicken or beef or what ever.
Boil then simmer till ingredients are done.

I like to add a big can of diced tomatoes and sometimes a little pasta or black beans

Make it colorful and hearty....serve with a good crusty artisan bread...it's even better the second day.
 CanadianChic2006
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/8/2009 3:01:35 PM
Buy & use a Crock Pot! ** Depending on how long you will be gone use the Low or High setting** When I leave for work I won't be back for 8-9 hours, so Low works fine for me. If you will be back in 4 or 5 hours try the medium or high setting.

Take a Roast/Small Chicken place it in the crock pot.

For the roast, take a powered onion soup mix and sprinkle over top

For Chicken I like the Garlic Plus seasoning -- use whatever you like.

Peel a few potatoes & cut in half / or quarter depending on the size of them, throw in some baby carrots (or if you are adventerous, peel & cut real carrots), maybe an onion or a clove of garlic - again whatever you are comfy with.

Put the veggies around the meat. Add 1/4-1/2 cup of water.

Put the lid on, turn the crock pot on and go to work.

By the time you get home you should have a wonderful meal!

For Chili

Brown a pound of Ground beef
Put in the crock pot with a can of diced tomatoes, (Sometimes your grocery store will have special cans of "Chili" tomatoes - this give you the spices you need to flavour)
1 can of brown beans,
1 can each of red & white kidney beans
Add whatever other veggies you like . I myself like onions, green/red/orange peppers, mushrooms, celery, tomate chunks
Add some chili powder or Cayenne pepper

If you like a bit of "extra" stuff, try adding some cooked sausage, or summer sausage cut into chunks.

Put the lid on, and turn the crock pot on before you leave for work.

Again by the time you get home, you've got a wonderful meal ready to be eaten.

Add a Salad, some fresh bread/buns.. and you have a meal for now, and some that can be frozen and reheated another night!
 No.404
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/8/2009 10:29:20 PM
I found a recipe a while back. very simple and delicious! :P

Apricot chicken.

In a baking tray ( glass )
Diced chicken breast, 1 diced onion, 1 tin diced apricots. And that's it ( french onion soup also but I don't think it needs it )

Serve with cous cous and You'll love it, bake until cooked.
 mik1950
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/9/2009 1:50:43 AM
404...what is a glass baking tray?...never heard of it before
 Me Leona
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:08:44 AM
Mik, I think he means something like Corningware, or the thick clear glass-type baking dishes - some come with lids and some without. I'm sure you've seen those! They are good for casseroles and baking. I often make rice or casseroles in them or bake chicken or vegetables in them.
 mik1950
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:28:31 AM
he probably meant casserole dish but i coulda sworn i saw "glass baking tray"...yes leona...i use my casserole dishes for casseroles ALL the time...
 Bodyrocwb
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:50:07 AM
Tex-Mex Bake

1 cup Minute® White or Brown Rice, uncooked
1 pound ground beef
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 (12 ounce) bag crushed tortilla chips
1 pound prepared cheese product, cut into cubes, divided
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside.
2. Brown meat in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; drain off excess fat.
3. Mix in cooked rice, beans and tomatoes with chilies. Cover bottom of baking dish with chips. Layer half of cheese over chips. Top with rice mixture. Top with remaining cheese.
4. Bake uncovered, 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Garnish with green onions and sour cream if desired.
 Me Leona
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/9/2009 8:31:46 AM
but i coulda sworn i saw "glass baking tray

You're right!

My easy chicken cutlets:

Chicken cutlets or skinless breasts butterflied in half
Milk
Flour (I like Wondra, the shakeable kind)
Olive oil (I like extra-light)
1 fresh lemon

Heat olive oil in nonstick pan or skillet big enough to hold a few pieces of chicken.
Dip the chicken in milk, then flour, and add to the pan.
Brown on each side.

Salt and squeeze fresh lemon to taste.
 missfee1
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/9/2009 11:45:43 AM
I have a glass baking dish - square - it's 'Pyrex' i use it for cooking potato bake & lasagne ........................................................................
 AJ7600
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/9/2009 2:12:12 PM
Spend twenty bucks on a crock pot. They usually come with many recipes. Before work, throw meat and veg in there (or whatever), turn it on and when you get home from work dinner is ready. Great thing about it, there is usually left overs for a few days
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > I cant cook. anyone have anything simple to recommend?