Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > How far will YOU go to look young?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Floramac
Msg: 176
Know what really ticks me off?Page 8 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
sand in the K-Y?
 mateo45
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Know what really ticks me off?
Posted: 7/11/2011 4:15:39 PM
Is this really true or hyperbole? Do people really post pictures that are 10-15 years old?

Yeah, as a matter of fact they do! After a bit of emailing back and forth, I got together with a local gal who claimed to be "50" and her pics looked about right, as she appeared fit with few or no wrinkles, looking perhaps even younger. But "in the flesh" was quite different, with WAY more wrinkles, and much less "svelte", to the point I'd wager her true age was at least somewhere in her early to mid-60's. Oh, and when it was clear there seemed to be no real "chemistry" between us (& after I've showed up on a motorcycle), she had the nerve to complain from out of the blue that the guys she dated usually "dressed up" in "designer clothes" to meet her ! ;-p

So I suspect she was probably a "looker" in her time (and still in her own mind), even though it was clear that ship had long since sailed!

I do everything wrong........I smoke, I spend lots of time in the sun, I don't drink as much water as I should, I don't use all those fancy creams and I don't exercise as much as I should.
But damn I'm enjoying life and I've earned every white hair on my head!
The last thing on my mind when I'm swimming or canoeing or sitting around a campfire sipping whiskey is how it will affect my looks!
If I end up looking like a 60 year old when I am 60.......then so be it!

Or else end up looking like 70 when you're 60!
And then they complain about men seeking "younger women"!
 DrummingNut
Msg: 178
Posted: 7/11/2011 4:49:38 PM

I do everything wrong........I smoke, I spend lots of time in the sun, I don't drink as much water as I should, I don't use all those fancy creams and I don't exercise as much as I should.
But damn I'm enjoying life and I've earned every white hair on my head!
The last thing on my mind when I'm swimming or canoeing or sitting around a campfire sipping whiskey is how it will affect my looks!
If I end up looking like a 60 year old when I am 60.......then so be it!

To give my answer to that... so what!
We're told "don't look old" .. all the commercials/advertisements say it.. but honest to God, so what?
If it stops men from wanting me... oh f*cking well.
I'll be having fun with who I am and just not worrying over the men who don't like wrinkles and whatevers.
 gentleplus
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 4:56:20 PM
I am not worried how I look when I get old I just don't want everything to hurt.... so I will live as healthy as I can
 Silver-Dove
Msg: 180
Posted: 7/11/2011 5:00:43 PM
That really pisses me off - lying. What's the sense? You're going to meet one another eventually! I often ask how recent photos are if they are not dated....especially if they look too good to be true for the age of the person.

I've met men who are either bold faced liars or have no mirrors in their house. !

First off, most every man I have ever met online thinks he's taller than he is. Either that or they are listing the age they were in their prime or in HS and don't take into consideration shrinkage (not a good subject for men, I guess)!

Another thing that gets me (doesn't piss me off as much as make me wonder) is why people say things like: good looking, or handsome or even "good sense of humor." All of those are subjective, so saying you are good looking just means YOU think you are good looking! Might even mean you are arrogant or full of yourself. Either way not a tune on for me. Aren't good look in the eye of the beholder? Post a picture and let ME decide. As for humor, compose a humorous profile! I think too many guys have read somewhere that women ate looking for men with a "good" sense of humor.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 5:07:43 PM
I agree with Micki and Purple. What a boring life I would have had if I hadn't played in the sun before my children, with my child and continue to with my grandchild. Yes, I have wrinkles from the sun and fun, life, stress, and just plain living. I am not going to risk my life by having poison injected into me or unnecessary surgeries. I'm having too much for to give it up for the possibility of death and a smooth face.

Mate, you made me lol. You mean the woman who showed up for your date actually looked "YOUR AGE". How ironic.

The problem I have is men who are over weight and say they are athletic. Not much fun going for a walk when your date is breathing heavy after 2 blocks for all the wrong reasons.

MsMicki
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 6:25:14 PM

And then they complain about men seeking "younger women"!

Who's complaining? Any man that wants a younger woman is welcome to her....
not sure why I would complain about a man I wouldn't be compatible with ??

I'm quite comfortable in my skin and white hair.....and any man that thinks I'm a
"Crone" because of it.....would definately not be the type of personality I would want to date to start with!
Thank God there are plenty of men out there with a much more positive attitude about a woman aging naturally!
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 183
Posted: 7/11/2011 11:41:35 PM
Mate, you made me lol. You mean the woman who showed up for your date actually looked "YOUR AGE". How ironic.
Yes, this one made me do a double take too. Here is a man of 66 (who looks his age) thinking he is going out on a date with a good looking 50 year old woman. Sadly, she has been deceptive about her age and looks and turns out to be closer to his own age. I can understand being angry that she lied, I can't understand putting her down because she looks her age, ridiculing her for looking her age:

...it was clear that ship had long since sailed!

This is a sad case of a women believing that to date men who are actually in her age group she has to pretend to be 10 years younger.

I am not worried how I look when I get old I just don't want everything to hurt.... so I will live as healthy as I can.

This is a really important point. Taking care of yourself does have an effect on how you look, but, more importantly, it has an effect on how you feel. If a person eats a healthful diet, doesn't drink heavily, doesn't smoke, doesn't have too much caffeine, exercises and keeps his/her weight down, etc., it affects how you feel every day, all day long; it even affects how you sleep. It influences if you are going to be affected by the big and small illnesses related to aging, it affects if you will have the aches and pains that are stereotypically associated with old age. It affects your energy, endurance and mood. Using sun screen can protect you from skin cancer.

Taking care of yourself does not mean you can't have fun. Lots of physical activity is fun: walking, hiking, dancing, swimming, bicycling, for example, are things I do that help keep me fit. Fit doesn't mean being skinny; in fact, I believe a little weight on an older person can prevent him/her from looking what I call 'stringy.'

Having a little weight does not mean you won't live a long life. I was watching an old film the other day with Ann Sothern. She had gotten quite plump when she was older. I looked her up and found she died at 93. She was too heavy, imo, to be truly fit, but a little weight is not, apparently, necessarily detrimental to your longevity. So eating well is a good thing.

Taking care of yourself does not mean starving yourself, but it probably means not living on junk food. It definitely, imo as a former smoker, means not smoking, however. Smoking really takes a toll, aside from the hazard of getting cancer. Yes it affects your skin, but it really affects how you feel every day and how you function. I feel a hundrend+ times better for not smoking.
 TryAgan
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 1:45:15 AM
Msg 174

What really ticks me off?
Women who post 10-15 year old pictures.

>>>
Is this really true or hyperbole? Do people really post pictures that are 10-15 years old? I can understand the weight thing a bit better as people have different ideas of what is over weight. I mean, some men on one of the threads were saying a women 5 feet tall weighing 100 pounds is over weight. That's really absurd. As far as I know, that is exactly what a 5 foot tall woman is supposed to weigh, and then for each inch over 5 feet you add five pounds. And that's sort of ideal. So, over weight can be subjective, to some extent. But, pictures that are as much as 10 or 15 years old, that seems like something that is really out there. Does it really happen? It never happened to me.

Yes, dear Velma, it happens.
It happened to me several times, and I've heard that men do it, too.
Well, some people have been on this site for over ten years, and they still use their original photos.

As to the weight, for many people, overweight is the new average. Which, as in the general population, indeed, now is the average. One lady I met two years ago (and she is a great person, but still overweight), recently told me that she lost 40 lbs since that first date, and she listed then her body weight as average.
I'm sure that in some cases, these people are deceiving themselves.
 ohenryx
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 8:03:44 AM

Silver-Dove:
Another thing that gets me (doesn't piss me off as much as make me wonder) is why people say things like: good looking, or handsome or even "good sense of humor." All of those are subjective, so saying you are good looking just means YOU think you are good looking! Might even mean you are arrogant or full of yourself. Either way not a tune on for me. Aren't good look in the eye of the beholder? Post a picture and let ME decide.

This is not a problem confined to the male species. If I had a nickel for every profile I have seen, "Good looking, attractive woman seeks ....".

As for humor, compose a humorous profile! I think too many guys have read somewhere that women ate looking for men with a "good" sense of humor.

Yes, too many guys have read that -- on women's profiles right here on POF! I do believe "make me laugh" is the number one thing I have seen in those profiles.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 8:32:41 AM
What really ticks me off?

Apparently women need to be good looking, in shape, AND intelligent,
and the only criteria men seem to think they need to offer is the in
shape part. What's up with that?

I only say this because I sometimes follow the guys who post on the
threads ****ing about a woman's looks or weight and I find myself
thinking...really????

TryAgan
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 9:22:50 AM

and willing
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 11:15:45 AM

and willing

on the first meet.
 LargoMaNonTroppo
Msg: 189
Posted: 7/12/2011 2:54:01 PM

and willing

on the first meet.

And buy their own coffee.
 MsMicki
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 4:16:59 PM

and willing

on the first meet.

*snort

oh....I don't think we're supposed to snort when we laugh either.....
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 4:22:41 PM

e:

and willing

on the first meet.

*snort

oh....I don't think we're supposed to snort when we laugh either.....

*giggles like a teeny bopper* That's how it is suppose to be done.
 LargoMaNonTroppo
Msg: 192
Posted: 7/12/2011 7:07:24 PM
Oh and NEVER take off their necklaces!
 mateo45
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 9:01:48 PM
and willing on the first meet.

Alright, already... so we'll buy the coffee!
And if it's really such a "burden", we'll even overlook the "intelligence" part too!
Hey, giving up 2 out of 5 ain't bad!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 6:54:32 AM

And if it's really such a "burden", we'll even overlook the "intelligence" part too!

Yes, I can believe this is something you would have to overlook.

MsMicki
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 7:40:07 AM

If we can do it.....so can you!!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 8:10:59 AM
I believe that most of these posts about not buying your own coffee
or not looking like your pictures and all the other stuff that comes out,
comes from meetings that didn't go well. I'm pretty sure if two people
meet and they get along great, the last thing they're thinking about or
worrying about is who is paying for the coffee or dinner or whatever.

I've always offered to pay my way. I have noticed, however, that the
better the meeting goes, the less likely my offer will be accepted. I think
it's all about tolerance levels. We tend to tolerate more from people we like.
People we don't like we find everything wrong with them and figure they're
all out to screw us out of 5.00.

That's why we get so much crappola on these forums about he did/she did
he said/she said because people are posting their negative experiences. Most
people who have great meetings can't be bothered to come here and ****...
and why should they?

If it wasn't for the unsuccessful stories, we wouldn't need any forums at all.

TryAgan
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 8:31:52 AM
^^^
Great post.
But sometimes, the perceptions of two people can be different. I remember once I had a meeting, I thought, it went well, but didn't want to make the first meeting too long.
The girl's attitude was if the meeting didn't extend for several hours, it was a failed meeting. Again - Venus and Mars thing.
Needless to say, other meetings followed, the misperceptions were cleared, and things proceeeded as they should.
 LargoMaNonTroppo
Msg: 198
Posted: 7/13/2011 9:09:55 AM
Oh heavens, I didn't mean to open up that whiole who buys the coffee can of worms.

I do happen to be very independent ( not that I mention it in my profile). I'd be happy to buy my own coffee, even when invited to go for coffee with someone. I always have my wallet out, and if there was a way to just pay without it becoming a conversation I would.

But really, do you care so much? I'll but you a coffee if it would make some of you less grumpy.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 199
Posted: 7/13/2011 9:31:40 AM

Oh and NEVER take off their necklaces!
OMG, that was such a hilarious thread!! I well remember.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 10:45:36 AM

But sometimes, the perceptions of two people can be different. I remember once I had a meeting, I thought, it went well, but didn't want to make the first meeting too long.
The girl's attitude was if the meeting didn't extend for several hours, it was a failed meeting. Again - Venus and Mars thing.
Needless to say, other meetings followed, the misperceptions were cleared, and things proceeeded as they should.

Thats true. I've often times thought a meeting went well, only to get the "I didn't
feel any chemistry" email the next day.

But I do think, if the feelings are mutual, there is no question about paying or not
paying and things pretty much work out. No matter how long or short the meeting,
most people who are really into each other will make plans to meet up again soon.
It's only when plans aren't made or perceptions or expectations aren't expressed
that we run into problems.

Of course, you'll always have those crazy people that are planning wedding favors
after the first meeting. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just something
you should keep to yourself!

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > How far will YOU go to look young?