Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Is making bread more frugal?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lapilot
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Is making bread more frugal? Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
not many people are that bright

And might you be one of those people? Sure don't seem so to me.

mik is a working cook who makes bread, among other things, for a living. I'm not a know nothing about the process, but ... when he talks, I listen. His bread recipes work well for me.

All you've offered up is a lot of BS about your secret "family recipe" and vitriol toward mik (you can find vitriol in dictionary.com as I'm sure it's outside your lexicon). Offer something positive to the thread, or shut up.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Is making bread more frugal?
Posted: 6/2/2009 7:21:59 PM
I couldn't make homemade bread if my life depended on it. I think that is why God created bread machines! Now...if any one of you kids asked me to make you a pie from scratch? This lady can turn you out something that would melt in your mouth!
 JKLF96
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/2/2009 8:26:33 PM
It's actually very simple Moonchild, If you can follow direction's you will impress yourself..Maybe not the first time But Knowing you, You would catch on. Not neccesarily cheaper but it's cool and a lil bit of a challenge..

I'm having fun with it..
 ~EyesThatTalk~
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/2/2009 8:32:34 PM
Why is there always someone in every post that likes to be a nit-picker!

Sheeesh!

Get a life!

We are hear to share, learn and have fun! Everyone has an opinion no need to bash everyone!
 mik1950
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/2/2009 9:13:04 PM
loki...staff of life...staff son...staff...
as was posted earlier...you think your great grandma was such a creative and inventive cook that she discovered the "rosetta stone" of bread making?...not knockin your ancestors or anything...most older relatives are good cooks...but chances are pretty good that i probably have a few of your grannies recipes on an index card somewhere...you wanna talk about old recipes?...i have a recipe for cheese pie...(the italian name escapes me)...but i have been making it for years...that recipe was from my grandma who came to canada in 1894...i used to be of the opinion that this was indeed some great secret recipe...but it aint...i have shared the recipe with several others on this site...and others in real life that thought it was good enough to keep on file...i take it as a compliment if someone asks for a recipe...plus it spares me from making it for them...
what have you posted as far as knowledge about bread making goes?...zippo nada...except to toot your own horn about what a shit hot baker you are...the proof of the pudding is in the eating...
if my ability as a baker is in question here...why am i called on to bake bread every time i go in to my work?...why does the high end deli here ask me to supply them with bread every weekend?...
as far as the yeast i got from work goes...our "chef" team leader was cleaning out the pantry and discovered about 24-2 pound cans of fleishmanns yeast...he was going to throw them out so i suggested freezing most of them...yes still in the cans...there is an expiry date on them...but freezing will render yeast into a state of dormancy...he took a can home with him as did i...i mean 48 pounds of yeast is a helluva lot of yeast...
try and give yourself a bit of credibilty here and post a recipe or two rather than rant and rave and make a complete fool of yourself with your obvious lack of knowledge
 sanderick
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/2/2009 10:53:09 PM
My family has an Indonesian Sate recipe that has been in the family for years, after being brought over from Indonesia. We would make it on special occasions and never share the "secret".

One day a couple years ago, my brother showed me a recipe book and it had almost the whole recipe in it!!!

I am with Mik on this one. What may be the holy grail to someone, is just another variation to everyone else.

I loved watching the Top Chef series for a while. They had a finalist on there that always talked about putting love into your food making the difference. Your care and passion helps food bring out it's flavor. Most people here puts lots of love into their cooking and i'm sure that you can taste the love.

Now there is one person on this thread acting like a pissant, and I shudder to think of what his food would be like....

Oh, I got a break maker and made one loaf. I'm over it. LOL I just have to try hand made sometime soon.

Mik, I was at this incredible restaurant in Hawaii and got garlic bread that had roasted garlic in the bread. It was AMAZING!!!!

Ever made that from scratch?? If you have and don't mind sharing, i'd love to learn the technique. This is a crowd pleaser for sure, I could have eaten it as the entre.

Thanks!!

mik1950
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/3/2009 3:11:15 AM
rick...when i make garlic bread i usually just butter the bread with garlic butter, wrap in foil and heat in the oven...at work i use garlic butter...then i grill it on the griddle much like a grilled cheese sandwich...once the bottom is golden brown...i butter the top side with more garlic butter...flip them over and while the other side is being grilled i load the already browned side with a mix of shredded cheddar and mozza...it always goes over well...
i will keep the roasted garlic trick in my memory banks...sounds like it would be good...roasted garlic would add a nice almost nutty taste to the bread
 lapilot
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2009 4:32:02 AM
I may be misinterpreting, but I think rick wanted a recipe for roasted garlic in the dough ... in which case, I'd make the dough, proof it, then add the roasted garlic before baking.

Garlic kills yeast, so be careful. This would work well with a sourdough, I think.
 sanderick
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/3/2009 9:44:17 AM
Don't want to go to off topic, but yeah, I was referring to roasted garlic IN the dough. I have never had it made that way and I was amazed at how delicious it was.

This would be a great fresh homemade bread project to work on. If anyone has any clue about this i'd love to hear about it.

As pilot pointed out, if garlic kills yeast, maybe you would mix in roasted garlic right before putting it into the oven.

Pre-made garlic bread at the store would definitely be more expensive than homemade, and if you make it yourself, this would be a great one to try out.

Classic Chassis
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2009 10:40:09 AM
sanderick - you can add roasted garlic to homemade bread without any problems. If using a bread machine, add the roasted garlic at the first beep. If doing by hand, knead the bread as usual, then knead in roasted garlic just before forming loaf. If you're doing 2 risings, add garlic after 1st rising is done and you've punched dough down to form loaf again for 2nd rising.

When I make it, I add 5-6 cloves of roasted garlic - sometimes I'll also add snipped chives or caramelized onions.

Note - I usually run the cloves through the garlic press but you can dice the cloves, half or quarter to suit.

~EyesThatTalk~
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/3/2009 11:01:24 AM
I have made pizza bread... you roll the dough out like for cinnamon buns but thicker. Then I spread it with pizza sauce, diced ham and lots of cheese. Of course, you can put any variation of yummies. Cut into the appropriate sizes and let it rise in the pan. Bake away.. and what a great treat.

mik1950
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/3/2009 11:24:13 AM

As pilot pointed out, if garlic kills yeast, maybe you would mix in roasted garlic right before putting it into the oven.

if you did that rick...it would call for another rising...i wonder tho...if after the first rise...roll the dough out as you would for cinnamon buns...then spread a layer of roasted garlic paste over it then roll it up and form into a loaf for the second rise...that way the garlic would be spread throughout the dough but not permeate it as it would if it was kneaded in...
i wonder if loki knows...lmfao...roflmao...pmsl
 michaeld70
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2009 11:36:14 AM
I couldnt find my other post, but you can easily add in garlic/(whetever) near the end of mixing or another way below. I learned this from an old european baker, he said it was how they made bread at home.

I had another post about making bread with other ingredients by laying out the dough, adding your ingredients, egg wash if necessary, then cutting the dough with a dough divider (or knife), so that you have small chunks of dough and your other ingredients all mixed together, then drop it in your pan, proof and bake. The more you chop, the more marbelling you will have.

You can do this with anything
cheese blends
onions, herbs, etc.
candied fruit/cherries then icing on top after baked
apples and or raisons and cinamon sugar
(use regular white dough and not a sweet dough)

Another great one is coating the pan with about 1/4 inch of a sugar/shortening blend and using sweet ingredients like apple/cinnamon. The sugar caramalizes as its baked, then you drop the loaf upside down on a pan to cool and you have the nice sweet gooey glaze already on top (actually bottom)of the loaf.
This was how he made the cinnamon rolls and sticky buns to, no need to add separate icing.
 ~EyesThatTalk~
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/3/2009 12:25:38 PM
I do a similiar thing Michael... but I use brown sugar and cream on the bottom of pan for my cinnamon buns or sticky buns as the kids call them. I love adding apples and cinnamon... wow... are those ever soft and delicate! Like you said... no need for any other kind of icing is required. A huge fav with our family.
 Irish_Topher
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/3/2009 3:39:40 PM
I like this thread... I am about to venture into bread-making... I have been making jams jellies and syrups lately... that is fun too, but breads!!! Soon I will be there! hehehe
 mik1950
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/3/2009 8:43:15 PM
i remember when i was a youngster and mom would make jam from the strawberries or raspberries growing in the yard...as you know the "foam" should be skimmed off when the jam is cooking...well she used to skim it off and put it in a soup bowl...was it coincidence that she always made fresh bread on jam making day?...my brother and i used to race home from playin outside when ma called us...the first guy there got the heel of the bread...still warm...slathered with butter and the skimmings from the jam pot...dayum...it dont get better than that
 Pinkribbonsinthesky
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/4/2009 8:49:23 PM
Bread has so many MEANINGS TO ME..

When I think of BREAD, I THINK OF LOVE...

The SMELL, THE TASTE, THE MEMORIES OF MY HOME GROWING UP.

I think of THE WORLD...how it helps HUNGER...

I think of JESUS, feeding 5000 people with BREAD AND FISH...

I think of what I am going to make in OUR NEW HOME.

I think of BREAD, and I smile...knowing I am almost HOME...

JKLF96
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/4/2009 9:19:07 PM
Ya, I think Jesus is this bread ever gonna fukin rise..I'm usually patient tho..
 karma1160
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/5/2009 3:09:25 PM
Well I don't know how much cheaper it is but I do enjoy doing it.
I make muffins also once a week with the left over carrots, bananas, and nuts, 1/2 cup of raw sugar, 1-1/2 cups of flour 1 tbs. of baking soda, 1 tsp of salt, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of butter I use the yougurt butter it is very good, 2 tbs. of black strap molasses and 2 tbs. of vanilla, top with toffee chips and bake for 35 -40 minutes if you have other fruit you could use that too I basically call these my garbage can muffins because I throw all kinds of things in them its very cheap compared to what you would get them for at the store
 Ladytala
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/6/2009 4:03:24 PM
It's more a case of quality. Because it tastes so much better, it disappears much faster and you end up having to make it more often. We make four loaves and two are gone within a couple of hours after leaving the oven.
 mik1950
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/6/2009 8:23:23 PM
dont let the door hit your ass on the way out loki...you proved your incompetence with your "hit-and-run" attitude...come back with a recipe...even if you hafta google one...and maybe you will get more hospitality than you have given...
my ciabatta and italian bread are so terrible that the 16 loaves i delivered yesterday are all gone today...now i hafta deliver 16 more on monday...for a total idiot that doesnt know diddly squat about baking bread i musta just got lucky huh?...
 JWG86
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/7/2009 3:36:07 AM
In economics, we studied "cost". There is such a thing as "time cost". I think that from a pure "cost" perspective, making bread vs. taking 30 seconds to duck down that aisle at the store is VERY expensive.
 Lindarellah
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/7/2009 6:08:36 AM
I should have been watching this thread. I've had my entertainment for the day. A pissing contest and I missed it.. sheesh. Loki is my hero.

I love my bread machine!! The only problem is, the bread gets in my mouth.
 JKLF96
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/7/2009 7:43:40 AM
You need something else in your mouth..Just sayin..
 mik1950
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/7/2009 12:06:38 PM

In economics, we studied "cost".

duh...what else were you expecting to learn there?...bread making?...
(i crack me up at times)...
dude...next time you are wasting time posting drivel on here why not try making bread?...it's not so much about cost efficiency...mind you if you make a half dozen loaves at a time it is...and you can make 6 in the same time as you can make one...its more about having some say in what you shovel down your throat...the aroma of fresh baked bread whets the appetite more than anything i can think of also
jklf...looks like another alpha male has escaped
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Is making bread more frugal?