Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Is making bread more frugal?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Is making bread more frugal? Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I'm thinking of making some sourdough with our local wild yeast. I'm thinking of leaving some flour outside for a day and using whatever gets into it. The only thing that's stopped me in the past is that you have to keep attending to the starter and I hate making long-term commitments.

I think it's time to bake a loaf of bread.

CPh . . . I tried to contact you offlist but you've got your filters set so I can't.

Google Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Use the basic recipe. Chop up a bunch of jalapenos and grate some cheese. Add it to the dough. Easy. I do this kind of stuff all the time. I make all kinds of variations. It's good, crusty bread and a foolproof recipe.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 102
Is making bread more frugal?
Posted: 5/24/2010 8:14:53 PM

Most of the recipes I've been experimenting with do not require additional yeast, and they've been coming out nice and airy.

Would save on the wallet too if you use the little packets.
Also I'm with you on the ....

Honestly I dont care. I'm LOVING my homemade breads. I find it very theraputic, caring and

...as well as...

And it's hard to be in a bad mood when the house is full of fresh baked bread smell.
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2010 7:24:01 AM
Hmmm now bread... this used to be a subject near and dear to my heart about making homemade breads, mostly for the reasons just above me...I loved doing it for fun and theraputic reasons, but I never really ate much of it myself.

Now, I know I am completely gluten intollerant and I cannot have the usual bread anyway, however that leaves me available to pursue and eat the types of bread that I can have and really do like better.... Cassava Breads, Nut Meal Breads and Sprouted Grain Breads.

Now, I did not realize until recently that a gluten intollerant person could have any grain as long as it is sprouted before using and that says one huge thing to me....Extravagant, Slow-food, Artisan Breads!!

I have not had time to really experiment and I am tracking down all of the ingredients I need and compiling the recipes and methods I want to use, tweaking the info I find and developing my own methods. However, I will post back here as I try, and make, my discoveries. I do not have a lot of time, but I guess that just means I will make slow food slower!!! LOL

An awesome sourdough sprouted grain loaf takes 4-7 days to make and you will always have a starter ready for the next batch and plenty of starter to share, so I am actually taking my time and getting my method and ingredients exactly the way I want before I start, but when I do, it will be a regular thing.

I am also taking advantage of the situation to make it known in my community for others who are gluten intollerant and need or want good homemade breads that are healthy and not just full of empty starchy calories. With a 10 slice loaf of gluten free bread hard to come by here and at a cost of $7, I think this service will be needed. I have just started a Wild Game and Grass Fed Organic meat co-op, maybe I will start a bakery business for gluten free products too!!

By the way, I just had sprouted corn, corn tortillas for the first time OMG!! If you have never had these, please do yourself a favor and try them, I do not think you will ever go back to the unsprouted kind. Just amazing and awesome in looks and taste.

SS
 DriftingInTheWishingWell
Msg: 104
Posted: 5/25/2010 3:27:39 PM
Sprouted grain stuff ROCKS!!

I make a very dense, antioxidant rich bread that I eat for breakfast nearly every morning. It's not cheap to make, because of the ingredients, BUT.. You won't find anything even remotely close to it made commercially, so I make it.

SS, I get sprouted organic whole wheat flour, sprouted organic spelt flour, and sprouted organic wheat or wheat/spelt bran from one supplier, www.organicsproutedflour.net if you haven't settled on a source, check them out.

Also, in my research I discovered that there isn't any source of sprouted wheat bran in the western world, so I asked Peggy to start saving me some bran when they mill their flour which she is happy to sell along with the flours I buy from her.

The thing about sprouted grain is that the phytic acid is neutralized by sprouting, this is an enzyme that inhibits digestion, and also aflatoxins, which are carcinogens present in the husk of all grains and nuts is washed away as well. This means that bran that comes from non-sprouted grain has these aflatoxins in it unless it have been specifically processed to remove them. All this so called healthy "bran" cereal, granola bars, etc makes me seriously wonder how much the manufacturers really DON'T want you to know..

I don't think making one's own bread is by any means "frugal" but you simply cannot buy commercially baked breads that are genuinely healthy for you, some may be better than others yes, but making one's own bread to me is not a question of economics. I can't buy bread that equals what I can bake at home, even if it is a bit more expensive I think the end result easily justifies the means. And the expense..

P.S. If you do get sprouted organic wheat or spelt flour from Peggy, try this simple test when you get it, open it and dip your finger in and taste it! There is a HUGE difference in flavor, right out of the bag, compared to plain or whole wheat store-bought flour. No wonder sprouted grain bread and other stuff tastes SO good!
 Belle Requin
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2010 8:17:40 PM
Sprouting does NOT destroy gluten. I'm wheat intolerant (not gluten intolerant) and I can have sprouted wheat as sprouting does destroy the protein I react to. Celiacs can't have sprouted grain.

Be careful what you market it as, because gluten reactions can vary from person to person. But sprouting does not get rid of gluten.
 rustygetsit
Msg: 106
Posted: 5/26/2010 1:05:13 PM
Bread making can be as cheap or as lavish as you want it to be. I have a tiny cupcake business that is transitioning to breads & muffins. Some breads can be made very cheaply, but I've got some that really aren't even cost effective for me to sell (in my market) - I'd barely break even.

The beauty of bread making though - is you deserve the best; do it for you! It's the ultimate comfort food.
 GreySpot
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2010 10:37:35 AM
I'm afraid to say that making your own bread is definitely not frugal. The problem is that while it's cheaper to make it at home, it is so darn GOOD that you end up eating three times as much. Sometimes it's so bad that when I take it out of the oven and the smell is wafting through the house, I have to stand guard over it to keep people from sneaking in and tearing off pieces before it's even had a chance to cool.

I have a few comments for those who have questions or are just beginning. Baking bread is really pretty simple but takes time, especially if you are making so called artisan breads. (I'm not sure what that means actually). Many are made using a pre-ferment, an addition that is allowed to rise slowly in the refrigerator over night or longer. This improves the flavor. Even a simple white bread for sandwiches will take 3 to 4 hours. You don't have to watch it all the time but the timing is important.

I've found that certain things are very helpful. Buy a good bread book. Peter Rhinhart's books are very helpful. Lots of pictures and good recipes. It's often more about how you handle the dough than what you put into it. The basic tools you need are just bowls and measuring cups and spoons, but there are a couple you might not think of. Get a kitchen scale. You get much more consistent results if you weigh things. An instant read thermometer is the best way to tell if your bread is done. A thins flexible plastic bowl scraper is a wonderful helper.

You can make bread by hand of course, but a mixer is very useful if you make a lot of bread. I use a Kitchenaid stand mixer but there are other good ones. You can even use a food processor if you are careful. A bread machine makes fairly good bread but is rather limited. How do you make cinnamon rolls in one. You can use tone for mixing and kneading the dough of course.

Good luck and good eating.
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2010 11:04:56 AM
To comment on what GreySpot said...I have never eaten much bread since I was a teenager and I made home-baked, from scratch, milling my own grains, organic, every other day most of my life, so not everyone is necessarily going to eat more of it. However, I did find that the kind of bread that did have a very addicting and alluring aroma was the worst kind of bread ever that anyone could eat and that was the white bread, clover leaf rolls covered in various seeds and spices that I made once a ear at Thanksgiving. Now for some reason, white bread, as bad for you as it is, has the most amazing, mouth-watering aroma. Bad bad.

Also, I agree with the rest of what you said pretty much, but the best dough mixing/kneading machine would be a Bosch Mixer. I cannot stand Bread Machine Bread, never have been able to eat it. All of it had the strangest texture. I can spot a loaf of bread machine bread from 300 yards and a half a second glance, YUCK! And making bread is always more expensive if you are the type that only buys cheap white bread. LOL

Now to Belle Requin... THANK YOU. I had read in several places that Celiacs could eat any grain as long as it was sprouted. When I read your post a couple of days ago I went on a long and exhaustive search. Unfortunately, I found absolutely no concrete answer, however, I did find enough information to make me doubt that Celiacs can have even sprouted wheat. Possibly it is fine if it is sprouted in the field and has no other contaminating grains within 100 miles of it and is protected from drift...blah blah ect... LOL highly doubtful in this day and age of super-commercial production.

So, with the recent set-back I have had and been very ill suffering lately I say NO WAY to sprouted glutinous grains and I thank you for posting that. I just found out that I have been so ill lately because I am getting gluten somehow. After pouring over what it could possibly be I found 3 sources and I pray there are no others...vanilla flavoring, a product containng liquid smoke, and some mineral supplements I was taking...WHY do they put wheat in everything???!!!! It is like industrialization is trying to kill us all off on purpose. No one had wheat allergies, sensitivities, or gluten issues before the wheat was altered, hybridized and then harvested early in hte name of greater production to get to market earlier to make more money. No one has profited from this except the companies employing the scientists to figure out how to manipulate nature. Not even the farmers profit. We have a wheat glut in this world, so less production isnot going to cause people to starve. Starving people are starving for political reasons, not food shortages.

With all of that said....I will go on the hunt to find gluten-free, sprouted in the field, grains, that I can mill myself. No already processed flour for me, thank you. And I will continue with my plan, just more careful to regulate my ingredients.

Once again, thank you forum posters. Someone here almost always alerts me to things I do not know.

Hi Rusty!

SS
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 109
Posted: 5/28/2010 3:10:12 PM

If you only factor in only the cost, No.

If you also factor in the quality, Yes.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2010 5:11:02 PM
No prob SS. There is a significant difference between wheat intolerance, gluten intolerance, celiac disease, and wheat allergy. It gets really confusing, and diagnoses aren't easy. I'm wheat intolerant, gluten sensitive- I do fine with moderate amounts of Rye, Oats, Kamut, etc., but get a significant reaction to wheat. I don't however have any symptoms of celiac disease (though, I'll be the first to admit, symptoms don't often manifest themselves early in life, and I think my dad is an undiagnosed celiac, and we have Finnish ancestry).

If you haven't already checked, the Specifc Carbohydrate diet has some great gluten free recipes and approaches, and there's an active blood type diet forum- many users live wheat free, several gluten free as well, just to help the learning curve that is finding out you can't have so many things you were used to.
 karma1160
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/29/2010 7:36:33 PM
I agree with FrankNStein902, the bread you can make yourself has more natural ingredients and can be more nutritous, but often will spoil faster.
I like to make bread with blackstrap molasses, bananas, dates, coconut, and other nuts, if I bought this bread it would probably be spendy and not quite as natural.
I have a hard time using it up myself though.
 rustygetsit
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/5/2010 8:30:46 PM
@ Salmon -- Hi!!!!

Very informative information on gluten and the industrialization of wheat. I have a stepdaughter who suffers from a digestive disorder - she is very much in agreement with you!
 arwen52
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2010 8:56:43 PM
Yeast - if you are making bread frequently, forget the little packets of yeast. In our grocery you can buy little 4 oz. jars of yeast for a lot less or, better yet, buy yeast by the pound. I was amazed to find yeast by the pound at a very good price at Whole Foods, of all places. Also, one of the groceries in a Bosnian neighborhood has it.

I gave up the idea of using wild yeast from outdoors after reading more about sourdoughs. Turns out that really what you are getting is what's in the flour. If you sterilize the flour first to only get local wild yeast, it hardly ever works. I don't want to be fussing with keeping a sourdough anyway. I don't need another thing to attend to.

As for the gluten intolerant - if it were me, I'd probably focus my attention on eating things that normally don't have it an not try to recreate all those wheat-based baked goods with other non-gluten flours. I dated a guy who had celiac and that's what he did. However, if you're looking to make baked goods for the gluten-intolerant, King Arthur flours has a line of gluten-free mixes and flours. They aren't cheap, but I've always been impressed with their quality. If you get on their email list, they periodically have a special where you get free shipping for orders over a certain amount. I use it to stock up on specialty items I can't find locally.
 Random Entry
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2010 6:56:07 AM
Who cares if it is more frugal or not? Eat and make what you LIKE and feel is HEALTHY.

It's not frugal if you don't finish it quickly. Most of it will mold within a week because there are no preservatives in it. But this also, premold, makes it better for bread crumbs in recipes, too.

I think the breadmaker is perfect for both being healthy and liked. The first breadmaker I bought was $300, hardly frugal, and got so much use it burned out within the first year. But the manufacturer honored their warranty when I sent it in and sent a new one out to me.

If you do a lot of bread, buy pounds and freeze the excess.

I love the potato bread recipe and replace about 1/2 cup of the flour in the recipe with 12 grain hot cereal mix. This way I get a soft bread with some texture. It's not too dense nor too light. And I use 2 T Butter in the loaf.

Don't forget to use the dough mode to make pizza dough! With the timer you can even have it set to be done right when you come home. You can make a pizza faster than dominoes can make it to your door if you keep sauce, cheese, and frozen pepperoni on hand. buy 1/4 deli pepperoni. It's so thinly sliced it will make several large pizzas.
 Vannili
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 9:47:58 PM
my friend said it is expensive on electricity, I have a brand new bread machine that I have not use for 6 years,"someday'Ill use it when I have time lol" I think it is cheaper to buy a newly fresh bake bread at 4 :00 pm for $1.45 at Savemart and doughboy is cheaper more than $ 3 if you want a newly bake bread.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 5:29:29 PM
I haven't posted in this thread for a LONG time ... back when I was using my bread-maker to make regular wheat bread ... which was FABULOUS, incidentally ... LOVED the bread maker ...

since then, I've been diagnosed as "gluten intolerant" according to one of the doctors I've seen ... now reading Belle's 5/29/10 post about the differences between gluten intolerant and wheat intolerant, I'm not sure which he said ... I think the doctor just said I was "gluten intolerant" and told me to stop using wheat products ... I can have some oats ... otherwise, he didn't provide a whole lot of information ... I know if I even eat 1/4 of a flour tortilla, I'm sick for almost a week ... I know this cuz I just did that 2 weeks ago ... (stupid, bad choice!)

BUT ... I've been buying a packaged product from the grocery store that I can use to make a "loaf of bread" ... it's made up of rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch and the usual sugar, salt, yeast ... I add butter, water and eggs ...

I don't use the bread maker ... this recipe doesn't "work" the way wheat flour recipes work so I just make it by hand ... using the "gluten-free bread mix" is DEFINITELY more expensive than buying "gluten-free bread" but it's edible where the store-bought "gluten-free bread" for the most part isn't ...

this diagnosis more or less turned my eating habits up-side-down ... but I'm 200% healthier! and that's wonderful ...

SerendipityHappens
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/10/2012 5:06:26 AM
Pound for pound making your own bread is MUCH cheaper if you buy a large container of yeast at Costco. If you use the little packages of yeast then it's not really that much cheaper.

I've found though that I CAN'T make bread anymore because I eat way too much of it and go over on my calories. A "slice" of homemade bread for me could be 400 calories since I'd just carve off a gigantic hunk. It was like heroin for me so I had to quit making it!

Now the only homemade bread I make 75% whole wheat tortillas. I make 6 dozen every week and the cost for the amount is $3.00 for 6 dozen tortillas. I freeze them and then we reheat them in the pan before serving. I have nieces and nephews in and out constantly and they beg for warm tortillas with cinnamon and sugar... warm tortillas with cream cheese. warm tortillas with cooked apples...cheese and lentil quesadillas... I even have one nephew who eats plain tortillas dipped in Frank's red hot. I like to be able to give the kids a snack and at about four cents each tortillas are the way to go.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2012 6:12:43 PM
Molly, gluten free breads don't usually work in bread machines unless it has a gluten free cycle. I have a hamilton beach one with a gluten free cycle.

Personally, my fave 'bread recipe' is soda bread- largely because there is no letting it rise.
4 cups gluten free flour
1 tsp guar or xanthan gum
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
1 3/4 cups plain yogurt

Sift dry ingredients together. Separate bowl, mix wet ingredient. Then add wet to dry and mix. Knead for a few, then shape into a round and put on a tray. X the top, bake for 40 min at 375.

I always use millet when I make this bread (I usually eat grain and gluten free, so I rarely make bread) because it has such a great taste for a hearth bread. I do a blend of flours, but always millet in it.

I also make this 'bread' often (it's not really bread like, but it's yummy and versatile)
http://www.scdrecipe.com/cookbook/sample-recipes/focaccia/
This site has some interesting recipes I've been meaning to try: http://milkforthemorningcake.blogspot.com/
This site I use for inspiration and recipes regularly: http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

You CAN make sourdough gluten free bread, but generally you need to add milk/yogurt/whey/kefir to the flour as well, because otherwise it will not ferment nearly enough, but rather just go moldy and gross.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Is making bread more frugal?