Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 willowgrrl
Msg: 351
LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE! Page 15 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
My latest date was with a male whose picture involved him clutching his grandkids to his breast. to obscure his gigantic swinging penis hiding massive gut. When we met for a walk, his gut hung down to his knees and his legs were crisscrossed with bulging veins and swollen to 5 times their size.. he sent me the "report card" after he made it around the lake, which was a complete miracle, that there was "no chemistry". Ya think?
 NonamousDog
Msg: 352
view profile
History
LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE!
Posted: 4/30/2012 2:46:42 PM
willowgrrl,

I hope you never feel the need to meet new friends when you get old.
 ExcaliburKen
Msg: 353
Posted: 4/30/2012 4:32:19 PM
Yeahhh...benn there before. I went out with 2 different and although they looked great for their age, I was off by 9 years(older). I ask each. at that time, why didn't you state your real age? BOTH replied, if they used their real age, they would'nt get as many emails. You're kiddin'. If they are going to lie about that...what else?
 jonabella
Msg: 354
Posted: 5/6/2012 6:33:27 PM
ok my profile states 49 lol and I'm sticking to it
lol
women who post pics of them looking younger may shock a few ppl..on their first date..don't see the point in that..I know truthfully, it is a culture thing..(weight and age)
we are all beautiful ppl no matter how we look @ the big picture
and that's the truth!
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 355
Posted: 5/7/2012 3:20:33 PM
I'm really twenty-one!
 droidfanatic
Msg: 356
Posted: 5/7/2012 3:25:32 PM
I have a very small a tape measure on my car keychain. I'm always willing to let a girl measure me if she calls my height into question, and I'll let them see my CDL on demand if they question my age. :)
 Mediagirl4e
Msg: 357
Posted: 5/7/2012 4:56:48 PM
I have no clue how a person could think they could actually get a relationship when lying about anything. So I think they are stupid to lie it ruins there chances of meeting anyone at all. After you find out they lie you really do not know if you can believe anything else they say. When i go to the meet me i see it constantly with men they look 60 and put they 50 and i think dont they know they look there real age i guess they dont
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 358
Posted: 5/7/2012 4:59:35 PM
Lying about one's age on a dating profile is analagous to attempting to pass mutton off as lamb. It is a fraudulent inducement and simply wrong.
 stilladorable
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:05:07 PM
And what is so awful about being a PGA golf pro ? Maybe he wants to be liked for who he is really without the public persona. I cannot believe all this silliness about snooping on others and hoping to catch them in a little white lie. Disgusting and self righteous....and REPORTING TO ADMIN ? Really?????? Keeping one's profession to themselves is just plain smart.
 bluenit64
Msg: 360
Posted: 5/7/2012 10:22:29 PM
MLT,

lol that would be a sound reason to worry about if that person is going to be honest with you if you were going to get into a relationship phase. But, being a guy myself, I have had this situation happen to me before, in fact, recently I was getting out of class (college) and I went to taco bell, this kid was hungry and I thought I'd get him some food to help a brother out. Well, what happened was this beautiful girl who was 16 started flirting with me and telling me her life story and we talked for awhile, then she told me her age and asked me how old I was lol I basically replied, "I don't want to tell you my age but I'm a old fart at the age of 26" so we called it and parted ways she looked about my age but I know when looking for a relationship being honest and straightforward is the best way to go about it and nothing can workout with such an age gap.

-Sincerely,

-James.
 cashleys
Msg: 361
Posted: 5/8/2012 12:27:34 AM
Guilty! I do list a younger age but on my page give my correct one and the reason why. POF has all these filters about age. I do not like how they censor it and only match you with people much older than the age you list. I don't think it is well known they do it and I don't date way older guys. I have had guys say thanks I didn't know that they do that and they thought it was strange they got all specific people.

It has nothing to do with making myself out to be better or to attract young guys. I just feel at my age I can date a wide range of people. There are people that seem 'old' because of their thinking and how they choose to be, and younger people that because of their life experiences are much more mature than some lots older.

Depending on your life situation I think age is a preference based on lots of issues. For ages men have dated much much younger women and it was accepted, women now have that choice to date whomever they want. But, sites like this put you into a catagory which has nothing to do with the person-- just the age.

I am great about my age and of course wish I had the knowledge of life I have now when much younger, but not hiding age, I do not want to hide anything but also do not wantt sites like this to 'define' me or who I might wish to date.

And yes, my pictures are current and it is how I look. I actually had people come up to me while out and about and say "I have seen your picture on pof' and that I even look younger in person, that is sweet of course and I dont' think I do, but I do know I am not being something I am not.
 Infinity_G
Msg: 362
Posted: 5/8/2012 4:18:40 AM
Happens in real life. I have a male friend that told me when he married his wife (now ex-wife), he had no idea what her REAL age was. He found out later ( already into the marriage) that she was 5 years older than her actual age.

How's THAT starting off in a marriage, eh?
 mrjon32
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:09:22 AM
I wouldn't lie about my age, but I was mistaken for 17 when I shaved off my goetee, and 21 when I have it. I have a baby face. I think people sometimes think I'm lying, but I'm not.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 8:02:00 AM
All too common. Just one of many fibs all too many tell & for various reasons. Not my thing but I don't hold a gun to peoples heads & demand to see their drivers licenses, scream ewwwwwwwwwwww if they admit to being outside my posted preference or make a scene as you did. Most politely get through it & move on without making efforts to be confrontational. That you felt the need to is an issue in itself.
 RealwomaninNJ
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2012 7:18:52 AM
What I seem to find is guys who list themselves as taller than they are when we actually meet. I like to dance and it;s easier to do that with a guy equal to my height or taller.

My profile indicates that I am an active person. When a guy shows up who can barely get out of the car and walk up the driveway, I can't help thinking--"Is he looking for a caregiver?" I feel I want to be with a guy over fifty, but sadly a lot of folks don't seem to be taking very good care of themselves. Not planning on running a marathon but would like to know we could run four blocks to get to a gig ontime if we had to.

Age is not as important to me as compatibility. I don't really think about how old someone is when we're enjoying ourselves together. Lying is troublesome though.
 ablesteve
Msg: 366
Posted: 5/10/2012 1:48:55 PM
i met my ex on here and when we booked a holiday i found out that she was 5 years older than what she had told me, i have seen she is back on here again as i am and i noticed she had looked at my profile, when i looked at hers she is now saying she is 47, she is actually 57, i think thats wrong and the teade descriptions act should apply, what do you think
 ablesteve
Msg: 367
Posted: 5/10/2012 1:51:45 PM
i totally agree with you baby2
 ohenryx
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2012 2:12:23 PM

cashleys
POF has all these filters about age.

No, POF does not have filters. Individuals here on POF have filters in their email settings, but that is not up to POF, that is up to the individuals.

I do not like how they censor it and only match you with people much older than the age you list.

No one with good sense is paying any attention to the “matches” that POF suggests. People who have a clue do their own searches, based on their own criteria.

I think age is a preference based on lots of issues.

Now that is a truly strange thing to say. I am 61 years old, that is not a preference, that is a fact. I have a birth certificate which states my year of birth, and I have lived that many years. Prefering to be younger will not change my birth certificate, and it will not change how many years I have been on this earth.
 ARIESLOOKING192150
Msg: 369
Posted: 5/10/2012 10:37:46 PM
I am constantly catching women in lies on here. They lie about their age all the time. I caught one just the other day. She said she was 45. She looked 55. She turned out to be 60. And sometimes I can't help but wonder about the mirror they are looking in or the scale they are using when they weigh themselves.

I'm a big guy. I'm 5/10. About 245 I think. I make no bones about it. I don't have it in my profile But at the same time I don't try to hide it. I see on women's profiles all the time where they say they are "average". When in reality they may not be "fat". But not "average" either. I can see on most, Even through the clothes that they have a belly on them.. Not fat, But nowhere close to "average" either.

Me personally, I never lie about nothing. You either like it, or you don't. To be honest, I'm proud to be 50. By all intent and purposes I should have been dead five years ago. I'm lucky to be 50 and still be top side. I'm comfortable by myself. I don't need a woman to complete me. I am complete and happy with or without a woman. Anyone who lies about their age or size or anything else is not comfortable in their own skin. They are desperate. Not me.
 nycblonde728
Msg: 370
Posted: 5/10/2012 10:57:01 PM
I noticed most posts are from members older than myself, but at 25 I've dealt with people lying about their age as well.

However, my mom recently brought to my attention another side for the need to hide an age.
She's single, near 60, and was recently asking me about joining a dating site. At one point she asked me "what age do you think I should put down"? I told her your real age, of course- why are you even asking?
She explained that she feels younger, looks younger (and very much so), and any time shes put herself out there at a local single social for her age group- none of the men were what she wanted. In fact, the majority of men she knows that are her age or older, don't "fit" into it.
It has nothing to do with being a stud, but more a "youthful" vibe. She wanted someone who wasn't looking to live out their days with a woman taking care of them, who wanted to take vacations, go out to dinner, do an activity. She really felt it was hard press to find someone like this unless she lied so she could target someone younger (mid to late 40s).
It took some convincing, but she now gets that lying is never a good idea and that not every guy is going to be like that.

As for my peers, its rarer but it happens. In these cases, I think the reasons are less about "energy" and more about underlying issues.

Example 1: I met a guy here who's profile stated he was 27. Upon a little research, he was actually 33. I couldn't see why someone who take off six years in that age range. Whats the big difference? I opted to go out with him anyway, even though it did tug at me a bit- maybe it was a scroll mistake while filling out a profile.
On our meet, he still kept the "27" going. It became apparent as to why he was lying. He was still living at home with his entire family. He was in school part-time (but I'm not even entirely sure of that for other reasons), didn't have a job at the moment (worked a range of entry jobs a few months here and there in the past), and couldn't figure out what he wanted to do with his life. His days seemed be spent working out and smoking pot with his friends. He talked about saving up money to get a new tattoo.
My guess, the reasons to lie were because he felt he was "behind" at his stage in life (subconsciously or not). At 27, his ways were more justifiable and acceptable than at 33. Especially if he was aiming to meet girls in their mid twenties and younger. A 22 year old will come into guys like him more often than a 35 year old woman would. Hence the younger woman would be more accepting.

Example 2: I have a female friend who is 28. She has a 6 year old son from a previous/current relationship thats never fully on or off. They live together but live completely separate lives.
She has disclosed to myself and a number of friends she chats with guys over the internet. She feels "trapped" at home taking care of her son with no job or job experience. Her "boyfriend" never paying any attention to her. Talking to them made her feel good and gave her an outlet.
Except, the guys she was talking to were in the ranges of 18-21. She would tell them she was 21 as well; single and still living at home with no kids. Tell them she was in love with them. The latest being she befriended (platonic) one's 15 year old female friend through facebook and skype.
I believe she also feels "behind" in life and stuck with her circumstances. Never having the chance to fully live out being wild, free and popular- she uses these boys (and girl) to fantasize and "live" it.
 blissness108
Msg: 371
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 4:46:06 PM
"Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!"
Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

Age would be a difficult component to ascertain, unless your date is willing to hand over the driver's license. I think you should be honest about your age, even if you look younger.

However something blatant like height or weight, now why even attempt to lie about that? If you are going to meet someone, it would be glaringly obvious you lied.

I just had a date with a man who claimed to be 5'10". He was 5'7" at best. That was the least disturbing issue about our date. However, it was the main factor in my determination for a second date. It did not bother me he was short; it was that he lied about it. He is still lying about it, even after I bought this to his attention.

If you plan on meeting someone, don't you realize if you start out with a lie it does not bide well for a second date or for a deeper relationship?
 shy2anne
Msg: 372
Posted: 6/28/2012 6:40:40 PM
i do hate it too when people lie.
my philosophy is honesty is the best policy.
i don't lie, not to my kids or anyone else.
simple.
if someone is going to defend their lies..well, that's just crazy!
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 373
Posted: 6/28/2012 8:47:30 PM
In my experience most of the women over 40 whom I have met from internet dating sites were lying about their ages.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 374
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:33:13 PM
I've encountered two ladies on here whom I know outside of these confines who both deducted 5 years from their true age. They are both striking beauties, but I guess their real ages are beyond some magical threshold so they feel compelled to lie.
 happy_in_pink
Msg: 375
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:36:46 PM
Age is just a number. It is so not important how old someone is.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE!